Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Any transfer rumours?
  • cazo said:
    Fucg Davis he left us in shit when needed like the other prick let him rot somewhere else 
    Not really.  Stuck in a hotel in away from home and not allowed to travel to see family is'nt everyone's cup of tea is it. 
    Calling him disgraceful names just shows that you haven't considered  his personal position at that time.  Unlike Taylor and Solly who had homes and family  near by he would have been isolated most of the time. 
    Spot on

I have no issue with the reasons behind the decision he made. The Taylor and Davis situations cannot be compared
  • edited January 2021
  • Redrobo said:
    Any transfer rumours?
    No.
  • iaitch said:
    David Davies anyone? Just been released by Birmingham. No didn't think so.
    Gone Shrewsbury anyway
  • edited January 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Harry Beadle is the next off the conveyor belt - trust me, he's taken a while to come to the boil but he is gonna be the next one into the first team and he will be a fans favourite - the boy is a 100%er and along with his brother James in goal, will be the backbone of our team for years to come - COYR!!!!!
    So... one year on the first team doing well and then we sell him for 1/2 of what we should and no sell-on clause? Or do we let him leave on a free? :#

Them boys live and breathe Charlton, they won't be going anywhere 
    Money talks though. I assume from what you've posted that they're fans of the club but if they make it as pro's then it's also a job, so if a big club came in for them they'd surely go. Wayne Rooney lived and breathed Everton.................until Man Utd came calling.
    its not only what they would want that you have to consider, its what the club would want as well but i think they would be at the club for a good few years and do things the right way - i.e learn their trade / the game and love playing for the club they and their family have always supported - all their mates in the stands etc etc rather than jumping at the first chance  

• We organise the squad so that we have fewest senior players on the highest money in the league.

We might have to have just three or four senior players for every six or seven youngsters, but we'd have the best of each category in the league.

Contracts would have to be cleverly done so that each year only a certain number of younger players become senior, and each year you have to sell off this number, bringing in the equivalent of the best younger players in L1&2 to replace them.
    This seems to be what Lincoln City have tried to do this season.

• Sponsored links:

• 995632 said:
    Probably a stupid question but how visible is each clubs wage cap situation? Do other clubs have access to that information or is it just the EFL that knows how much leeway everyone's got?

Would doubt the internal financial workings of a club is common knowledge, think its rather a case of "Sorry, we can't afford to pay his £15k per week. We've only got enough left for £25 a week and a Happy Meal, can you help us please?" 
    Ok so it's not like the transparent American cap system then. I suspect people will be quite shocked by how low some clubs have managed to get the wage bill by bluffing players and loaning clubs further up the pyramid. 
  • I would love to see 2 or 3 18-20 year olds bought in this window with the view of them being in contention for the 1st team in the summer.

Whether it's a consequence of the last 2 or 3 years or has just happened it seems an area we are short in. 

It's hard to get behind a rebuilding project when you only sign players in their late 20s or early (even mid) 30s or loans you have no realist chance of signing medium term. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I would love to see 2 or 3 18-20 year olds bought in this window with the view of them being in contention for the 1st team in the summer.

Whether it's a consequence of the last 2 or 3 years or has just happened it seems an area we are short in. 

It's hard to get behind a rebuilding project when you only sign players in their late 20s or early (even mid) 30s or loans you have no realist chance of signing medium term. 
    I think we have promoted so many youngsters that have then left, the cupboard is a bit bare. Sounds like a good idea.
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I would love to see 2 or 3 18-20 year olds bought in this window with the view of them being in contention for the 1st team in the summer.

I think we have promoted so many youngsters that have then left, the cupboard is a bit bare. Sounds like a good idea.
    This this will turn out to be standard operating procedure for league 1 if the cap continues. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Have we?

I think if you look at the 23+ range we have lost a lot of players that would be the core of a half decent championship side.

I think it maybe the rest of other factors at play. If you look at the current u23s there are a lot of "external" players then quite a gap to Henry and Barker. 
  • Doubtful but would love to get Sam Field back. Guess it depends how many big Sam gets to sign this month. 
    Be very surprised if he dropped to League 1. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m guessing an attacking midfielder but no idea who 
  • Doubtful but would love to get Sam Field back. Guess it depends how many big Sam gets to sign this month. 
    Really liked him for us and no doubt would make a big difference but we wouldn’t be able to afford him on loan and he wouldn’t drop to league 1
  • I’m guessing an attacking midfielder but no idea who 
    I think Bows already said he wants more a Cullen type midfielder.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Have we?

I think if you look at the 23+ range we have lost a lot of players that would be the core of a half decent championship side.

I think it maybe the rest of other factors at play. If you look at the current u23s there are a lot of "external" players then quite a gap to Henry and Barker. 
    Our academy has actually produced relatively few players in the last 2 or 3 years really, in comparison to some other periods when Charlton have relied on U23s

Morgan and Doughty, but nobody else really knocking on the door in terms of outfield players in the 19-22 year old  age group other than perhaps Vennings. No centre backs or strikers who could have done a job during our recent injury problems, indeed it's quite unusual to see a Charlton side with NO home grown defenders at all, when you consider the number who have come through down the years
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Have we?

Our academy has actually produced relatively few players in the last 2 or 3 years really, in comparison to some other periods when Charlton have relied on U23s

Morgan and Doughty, but nobody else really knocking on the door in terms of outfield players in the 19-22 year old  age group other than perhaps Vennings. No centre backs or strikers who could have done a job during our recent injury problems, indeed it's quite unusual to see a Charlton side with NO home grown defenders at all, when you consider the number who have come through down the years
    Thing is we would have had Gomez, konsa and grant as players in that bracket (not sure we can count lookman?) so they are coming through but we have just cashed in on them!
  • if we can only have one player it would be a toss up between another striker (with physical presence and pace ideally or an athletic / physically imposing midfielder - ideally we get both after managing to offload a couple somehow 
  • DOUCHER said: 
    if we can only have one player it would be a toss up between another striker (with physical presence and pace ideally or an athletic / physically imposing midfielder - ideally we get both after managing to offload a couple somehow 
    Can’t see we’d been in for another striker when we have 4 plus Smyth. I think it will definitely be a CM. Could be a CB but Deji playing well and Famewo back makes that doubtful. 
  • DOUCHER said: 
    if we can only have one player it would be a toss up between another striker (with physical presence and pace ideally or an athletic / physically imposing midfielder - ideally we get both after managing to offload a couple somehow 
    Can’t see we’d been in for another striker when we have 4 plus Smyth. I think it will definitely be a CM. Could be a CB but Deji playing well and Famewo back makes that doubtful. 
    If Innis isn’t back for a while we would not have cover right hand side? 

That said I think he is looking for a mobile defensive midfielder.