Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• If those in charge at the club think the salary cap is unfair, then they should tell the EFL they are prepared to challenge it in the courts. 
    Or find 12 other clubs to support their POV and propose a motion and vote on it.  Its not the EFL's rule, its the members' rule. 
  • As this appears to be the salary cap thread... 

The whole annoying thing is the amount, like where did £2k come from? Surely they must have looked at the lowest budget teams in the league and gone with that. It doesn't work full stop.

The worst thing is it plays into the Premier League and Championship hands, the gap will get wider for those coming up and then a drastic change for any going down to league one.  Add to that younger players and the best players for each team will want to move on mostly as thats what footballers do see the pot of gold and run for it while they can, you cant blame them in that respect but noone will be able to hold onto their wonderkids regardless of this over 21 rule.

Fingers crossed its scrapped all together or at worst they raise it, but its the EFL i wont hold my breathe. 

And that adds to the argument to at least amend it, if not scrap it. The L1/L2 clubs aren't going to want to lose their young players too cheaply.  Obviously its the end of another revenue stream. Most clubs will see its not working as intended,  the only question is how long it will take. 
  • The cap is one of those things that could work, but only about 5 years down the line after years of it not working properly, and only in a closed league. In theory once the bigger teams have lost all their higher earners and there's no more players not counting within the cap then you have a level playing field; it comes down to how good your academy is, how good your recruitment is and getting the fewest injuries. That's exciting in its own way, and teams can grow their support by getting it right repeatedly and winning the league because they're the best at recruitment and tactics not because they are a historically big club. The problems come with promotion and relegation; you can't just make a relegated team sell all their players when they go down, so exceptions have to be made under the cap and it makes the whole thing ridiculous. We're also not at a level playing field from the start so there will be years of adaptation that will be worse for the league than the eventual result. It's just not an idea that will work in reality.
  • edited January 2021

So we couldn't match Huddersfield based on the salary cap, even tho he wont count to the salary cap this season, basically Bowyer is ruling out promotion and is preparing for life in League 1 next season under salary cap rules

• So we couldn't match Huddersfield based on the salary cap, even tho he wont count to the salary cap this season, basically Bowyer is ruling out promotion and is preparing for life in League 1 next season under salary cap rules
    More caution than anything probably rather than preparing for League One next season... Salary Cap means you cant take as much risk anymore

• Reading the article the paraphrasing by Rich in his tweet doesn't make much sense. Bowyer doesn't say "We couldn't compete over Sorba-Thomas because of the cap" He just said they got blown out of the water by Hudds, then goes on to say they want to bring more players in but are struggling due to the cap - as we all know. I don't think the two points were connected
  • Sponsored links:

• Addick_8 said:
    Can't we just sign the best centre half and best defensive midfielder going who is league 1 or lower and is also under 21.

Our transfer kitty must be reasonable. 
    Thing is, we thought that with Gilbey. On paper it ticked the boxes but he isn’t good enough for a side chasing promotion
    Not sure that is the same thing. Gilbey is over 21, was not the best midfielder in the lower leagues and was bought when we were skint.
  • iaitch said:
    David Davies anyone? Just been released by Birmingham. No didn't think so.
    Funnily, in recent weeks, a midfield battler like Davis would have been really useful...
  • iaitch said:
    David Davies anyone? Just been released by Birmingham. No didn't think so.
    Funnily, in recent weeks, a midfield battler like Davis would have been really useful...
    He wouldn't have travelled to London 
  • Fucg Davis he left us in shit when needed like the other prick let him rot somewhere else 
  • We could've bought him in the summer but we didn't agree with their valuation. I guess he has since proved to us that he's worth that amount. 
  • Andy Holt supporting the salary cap on Twitter. Well, it has been perfect for teams like Accrington and looking at the teams in the League, you can see how it was voted in.

A fixed monetary amount is wrong. It's restrictive, will cause clubs to lose home-grown players and to need to elaborate, it's been said already and the chairmen and owners of the bigger clubs should be lobbying the EFL.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    If those in charge at the club think the salary cap is unfair, then they should tell the EFL they are prepared to challenge it in the courts. 
    Or find 12 other clubs to support their POV and propose a motion and vote on it.  Its not the EFL's rule, its the members' rule. 
    I'm only a barrack room lawyer, not a legal expert. But it still seems to me that if even if its a members rule, if it's illegal then it cannot possibly stand even if the members want it to, 

I'd be interested very interested in the views of those who are solicitors and do know what they are talking about regarding the legality of a wage cap.

• So we couldn't match Huddersfield based on the salary cap, even tho he wont count to the salary cap this season, basically Bowyer is ruling out promotion and is preparing for life in League 1 next season under salary cap rules
    He’s a gamble and you can’t just chuck money at him to get him.
    what would that say to players with more experience and probably better quality that are under the cap.
    Youd have senior players that are really pissed.
  • Andy Holt supporting the salary cap on Twitter. Well, it has been perfect for teams like Accrington and looking at the teams in the League, you can see how it was voted in.

A fixed monetary amount is wrong. It's restrictive, will cause clubs to lose home-grown players and to need to elaborate, it's been said already and the chairmen and owners of the bigger clubs should be lobbying the EFL.
    It could also go the other way though when championship / prem club owners realise they are not paying out 99% of their turnover on player wages, especially as they can now hide behind coronavirus as a reason. Less money for players = more money for shareholders
  • We can't be gambling with another turgid CM in Davis. 

A typical Charlton signing where fans thought they'd received an absolute dynamite. Jees he was bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• I said this before on another thread:

In any game, if the rules are flawed, adapt your strategy to take advantage of their weakness.

In this case, with the assumption that we have the money, and the opponents don't, we have to offer them the money to get what we are allowed in order to win the game.

Therefore, we buy their best young players.
    We organise the squad so that we have fewest senior players on the highest money in the league.
    We might have to have just three or four senior players for every six or seven youngsters, but we'd have the best of each category in the league.
    Contracts would have to be cleverly done so that each year only a certain number of younger players become senior, and each year you have to sell off this number, bringing in the equivalent of the best younger players in L1&2 to replace them.
  • edited January 2021
    Whatever Davis’ personal circumstances he was poor for us and a sending off waiting to happen after picking up regular bookings. He was a last minute boost the numbers signing. There must be better options out there a Lapslie recall for a start. It’s a big NO from me.
  • The salary cap is a nice idea in theory, making it more of a level playing field and trying to curb excess spending and silly wages, but when has life been a level playing field and since when do people doing the same job in similar companies get paid the same, or rather have their salary capped?
    Imagine City brokers being told your salaries are being capped at x and the exceptional ones end up being paid the same as crap ones? And isn’t it somehow a restraint of trade or something?  

Exactly what I said to my wife yesterday. In a non-Covid scenario I suspect this would not have been voted in and the cap level will likely either be increased or removed post-Covid.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Harry Beadle is the next off the conveyor belt - trust me, he's taken a while to come to the boil but he is gonna be the next one into the first team and he will be a fans favourite - the boy is a 100%er and along with his brother James in goal, will be the backbone of our team for years to come - COYR!!!!!
    So... one year on the first team doing well and then we sell him for 1/2 of what we should and no sell-on clause? Or do we let him leave on a free? :#

Them boys live and breathe Charlton, they won't be going anywhere 
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Harry Beadle is the next off the conveyor belt - trust me, he's taken a while to come to the boil but he is gonna be the next one into the first team and he will be a fans favourite - the boy is a 100%er and along with his brother James in goal, will be the backbone of our team for years to come - COYR!!!!!
    So... one year on the first team doing well and then we sell him for 1/2 of what we should and no sell-on clause? Or do we let him leave on a free? :#

Surely they would if an Arsenal or Chelsea came in with big offers? Unless they don't have that short of potential and are just promising League 1/Champ players?
  • I wasn't suggesting we should go for Davis

BUT if we hadn't used the super duper phone to sign him last January, and instead had picked him up for a nominal fee in October, I imagine most people would have been reasonably satisfied. As a midfield shield, I'm sure he would have been more effective than say Watson

It looks like he's joining Shrewsbury anyway
  • edited January 2021
    I wasn't suggesting we should go for Davis

BUT if we hadn't used the super duper phone to sign him last January, and instead had picked him up for a nominal fee in October, I imagine most people would have been reasonably satisfied. As a midfield shield, I'm sure he would have been more effective than say Watson

It looks like he's joining Shrewsbury anyway
    Not me, having seen his performance in the flesh at Stoke I think we dodged a bullet.
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Surely they would if an Arsenal or Chelsea came in with big offers? Unless they don't have that short of potential and are just promising League 1/Champ players?
    always possible but put it this way, they would do the right thing by the club, i've no doubt about that 
  • We may have wanted to bring Thomas in, but not at the cost of having to pay him many times what the other players were on due to having to compete with a Championship club.

Be interesting to see how he gets on at Hudds.

I'm sure that we have other irons in the fire, but I don't really see things moving until I hear an announcement that we are moving someone on to free up wages for new acquisitions.

Pleased with the two that we have brought in so far; would love to get a couple more to beef up a couple of our weaker positions.
  • edited January 2021