Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    According to transfer market Rotherham have 9 nine! Centre backs!
    7 according to someone at work who is a Rotherham fan. Was talking to him other day and said we needed one. I liked Curtis Tilt when he was at Blackpool 
  • "Unintended consequences of the salary cap...."

Yeah, who would have thought that if you stifle the bottom of the food chain there will be problems further up.

The EFL really are thick as planks.
    Well, it was the EFL League One clubs who proposed and voted it in ....... by one single poxy vote.

Which is why this season Rochdale were equal to us. And Accrington were superior. :neutral:

• Dazzler21 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    sammy391 said:
    Don’t get the anti-Washington vibe

hes a great team player, and has been our only consistent goal threat this season!
    Really? He has scored 1 in 10. Aneke scores every 88 mins, I know which one I would describe as a goal threat

im not knocking Washington but I wouldn’t call him a goal threat
    By minutes 1 in every 239 to Chuks 1 in every 92

In addition to this he's only got away 19 shots to Aneke's 35. Making his goal conversion 32% to Chuks 26%. 

If he gets away more shots, he either becomes 

A- More of a goal threat
    or 
    B - Equally/More wasteful than Chuks
    there is no comparison - chucks is probably the most dangerous striker in league 1 and possibly the championship - his issues are about his body / ability to stay fit - if he does he is in a completely different league to washington  
    You'll get no disagreement from me. We know Chuks is dangerous. The argument was that TRH felt Washington wasn't a goal threat... Not even arguing the constant bit, but converting 1 in 3 shots from Washington is a threat. I was using the stats to show our most dangerous player is actually only a bit more dangerous than our second top scorer. 
    ok i haven't really read the stats but conversion of chances is only part of the picture - getting into the positions to miss chances and being handed penalties are big factors - i do not see washington as any sort of threat but if you play up top for a team near the top you are bound to score a few 
  • Lots of transfer targets from my 40 notifications....it’s like your all stuck indoors with nothing else to do. 
  • Can't we just sign the best centre half and best defensive midfielder going who is league 1 or lower and is also under 21.

Our transfer kitty must be reasonable. 
    Sounds good on paper but I guess as a result teams can charge a premium on such players. They must have a ‘budget’ both including and without the cap so won’t go necessarily go over it. Knowing Bowuer and Gallen we won’t know much about any major deal till it’s nearly done, that’s (usually) the case with them. 
  • Can't we just sign the best centre half and best defensive midfielder going who is league 1 or lower and is also under 21.

Sounds good on paper but I guess as a result teams can charge a premium on such players. They must have a ‘budget’ both including and without the cap so won’t go necessarily go over it. Knowing Bowuer and Gallen we won’t know much about any major deal till it’s nearly done, that’s (usually) the case with them. 
    But teams are skint, why not test their resolve?
  • Is this salary cap a permanent fixture or just until COVID is over?
    Permanent. Going to make things even more tricky next season if you have Derby and Sheffield Wednesday down here. 
    The screw is turned again for next season. It gets harder, smaller squad numbers.

Rochdale heaven. All League One clubs will be financially equal and have the same budget.

• Sponsored links:

I’ve often wondered about doing this but I think Bows response was that there can be issues of players being ok now, wages wise, but then two years later you could have a headache if you don’t get promoted as they may no longer be under 21. Also I think he said that some of these young players can not only be a risk but they may also simply not want to sign for a League One team. 

All that said I’d still like us to give this approach a go and think we will if it’s the right player. 
  • Redrobo said:
    mart77 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Is this salary cap a permanent fixture or just until COVID is over?
    The screw is turned again for next season. It gets harder, smaller squad numbers.

Rochdale heaven. All League One clubs will be financially equal and have the same budget.

I think it was only passed by one vote and I just think they’ll vote on it again soon enough and it’ll get scrapped. 
    It certainly will if Derby and Sheffield Wednesday come down. Although going on their recent past they will be exempt.
    Depending on who goes up as well, as if the promoted teams are the "big ones" that'll cancel out getting big teams relegated
  • Will there be a vote on this salary cap yearly? Or how does it work if a number of clubs want to get this over turned. 

Stupid stupid rule. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Harry Beadle is the next off the conveyor belt - trust me, he's taken a while to come to the boil but he is gonna be the next one into the first team and he will be a fans favourite - the boy is a 100%er and along with his brother James in goal, will be the backbone of our team for years to come - COYR!!!!!
    So... one year on the first team doing well and then we sell him for 1/2 of what we should and no sell-on clause? Or do we let him leave on a free? :#

• The salary cap is a nice idea in theory, making it more of a level playing field and trying to curb excess spending and silly wages, but when has life been a level playing field and since when do people doing the same job in similar companies get paid the same, or rather have their salary capped?
    Imagine City brokers being told your salaries are being capped at x and the exceptional ones end up being paid the same as crap ones? And isn’t it somehow a restraint of trade or something?  

• I always felt is should be a percentage of revenue. What's the point of growing your fanbase, commercial activities or academy if all you can do is put the money in a bank?

Football is a sport but also a business it makes no sense to stunt ambition or to not reward good business and football strategy.

Never-mind the restriction of wages for the player themselves. I'm surprised the PFA didn't ever push harder or take action for its members. Look at Johnny Williams & Jason Pearce, both higher earners at this level neither will equal their current contract and because of the cap Gallen & Bows will likely make a decision on their future based on the wage cap impact as much as the football.

Hopefully pressure will grow now it's causing the Championship clubs issues. I'm sure I read this current agreement would last two years?
  • Sponsored links:

• The trouble with linking the cap to revenue or turnover etc. is people can then game the system - e.g. Derby and Sheff Weds. An absolute cap on total spend is the easiest way to create a water tight rule that teams have to adhere to.

Like a lot of situations in life - we can't have nice things as someone will always find a loop hole to act with in the letter of the law rather than the spirit of it.
  • Oggy Red said:

Which is why relegation last season was so bad for us. Just like getting relegated from the Premiership just as the big money started to roll in. We really know how to fuck ourselves don't we. A single goal in one of our last 6 games would have kept us up. Or not letting it last minute goals against Birmingham or Sheff Wed. Agent Bowyer.

I really feel we could be stuck in this division for a number of years. Unless you either spend loads of money on U21's(like that young lad from Rochdale) and restrict you big wages on just a handful of very good older players. Or rely on the Academy instead of hoovering up other clubs youngsters (and then spend big on a few players as above). Or sod the cap & fight it in court. 

Thing is, we thought that with Gilbey. On paper it ticked the boxes but he isn’t good enough for a side chasing promotion
  • mart77 said:
    Oggy Red said:

I think it was only passed by one vote and I just think they’ll vote on it again soon enough and it’ll get scrapped. 

Agreed...it will get reviewed and either amended or stopped. It clearly is not working exactly as intended.
  • WHAddick said:
    mart77 said:
    Oggy Red said:

Agreed...it will get reviewed and either amended or stopped. It clearly is not working exactly as intended.
    I think the EPL bail out might be the way out of it with admitting it was wrong in the first place. Take the grant and a cap applies, don't and it doesn't.

Yes it's an uneven playing field but you can still only spend money you have got, I can't see commercial borrowing being an issue.  Who is going to lend money in the current climate? 
  • Anyway, I have found away round the cap. 

• As this appears to be the salary cap thread... 

The whole annoying thing is the amount, like where did £2k come from? Surely they must have looked at the lowest budget teams in the league and gone with that. It doesn't work full stop.

The worst thing is it plays into the Premier League and Championship hands, the gap will get wider for those coming up and then a drastic change for any going down to league one.  Add to that younger players and the best players for each team will want to move on mostly as thats what footballers do see the pot of gold and run for it while they can, you cant blame them in that respect but noone will be able to hold onto their wonderkids regardless of this over 21 rule.

Fingers crossed its scrapped all together or at worst they raise it, but its the EFL i wont hold my breathe.