Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Bowyer said last night that Sandgaard wants to sign more players , but the cap is limiting us! 

I’d imagine we have a few lined up, just needing to offload forst
  • Scoham said:
    Keep seeing “Barker did ok” - it’s fairly normal for youth players to look ok when they play 2/3 games, but it’s doing it consistently that is the issue. He was a complete unknown when he first played, after a few games teams would start working out his weaknesses. Not many 17 year olds break through at centre back given how important it is to be physically up to it and keep concentration.

It’s also not that uncommon for players to change position later on in their career, for example a defensive midfielder like Pratley covering at centre back, so I understand why Bowyer went with Pratley over Barker.

We were all pretty impressed with Barker's performances when he was pressed into service by dire necessity at the start of the season.

But then he was returned to the team for the FA Cup game against a then in-form Plymouth Argyle unchanged 1st team.
    He looked natural at CB and performed very well on the day against solid League One opposition.

It's not that he needs to play as 1st choice, just involved as cover and an occasional appearance when all else fails.

And what about Mingi? Is he so hopelessly inadequate that he can't also be emergency cover?
    If so, why is he still at the club?

You will all be glad that I'm not manager ...... but while we've been having our major CB injury crisis, the very least I would have done is involve Barker and Mingi in 1st team training, develop and familiarise them tactically, in case of needing extra CB cover.

• edited January 2021
    Defensive midfield and centre half are a must. Both are desperately needed. If I had choose one I would go Defensive midfield first. 

Watson and Pratley can share the defensive midfield position. 
    It should always be Watson or Pratley but with the CB problems they both had to play.

Watson had high marks from CL members in 2 of his last 4 games ( not including the game he got injured in)

We have too many over 30's now and our lack of legs over 90 to 100 minutes is beginning to show.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vennings is the one which is most frustrating. Without his injury I imagine we would have seen more of him in the last 6 weeks or so. He might not have made a difference but would have been able to see him regularly involved during an important part of the season.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    RedChaser said:
    James86 said:
    Not a rumour for us, but we were previously linked with him. My friend, who’s work colleague is good friends with Sorba Thomas, he has supposedly  agreed a 3 year deal with Huddersfield. £2500 P/W for a fee of £200K. One for the future is to be loaned back out to a lower league team. Bradford was mentioned. Not seen nothing on the internet about it 🤷 no harm in passing on what I’ve heard. 
    Deal with Huddersfield now confirmed, well done @James86 👏🏻👍and some humble pie for those who doubted you 😉.
    Goes straight into the ITK List
    Nice one Daz. The trouble when people doubt a decent rumour, that person is unlikely to be as forthcoming in the future. Accept it for what it is I say 'A Rumour' rather than doubt it just to be able to say later 'I told you it wouldn't happen' 😏
  • Redhenry said:
    What is it with Barker, I've heard from people at the club say he's miles off first team. He's not the answer. We need a free loan
    What is the point  of a youth system if they struggle no good. He seemed fine in the games he played in .
    Just because they’re not ready for a consistent run of games now doesn’t mean they won’t be in the future - he’s 17 FFS.

Look at Karlan Grant, broke through at 16/17, looked good early but played too much and fizzled out. It took him three or four more years and a couple of loans to build back confidence and truly look like a quality player for us.
    But why not have him on the bench though? Hes is natural in the position and can provide cover if needs be. Will help his mindset going forward to be around the more senior players. Even training with them (which he may do) will help his development and help build towards the relevant experience.  

Can still learn with U18s and U23s so whats the big deal having him in and around the squad?
  • Fee of 200k, wasn't they looking for 7 figures minimum? I don't see him going for that price 
    I don't think it was 7 figures but it was more than we were prepared to go. I thought we offered around that figure (sure it was quoted on here at the time) and had the feeling they wanted double. I call bullshit on the "rumour" - can't see him going up to Huddersfield. 
    This aged well
    I doubted it as it seems a very strange move - for both parties. He is a loooong way from home & Huddersfield is hardly a football Mecca. I suppose for them he's a "punt" like Bonne was for us and would be interested in knowing the exact transfer fee as I'm sure we would have paid £200k back in October. 
  • Scoham said:
    Keep seeing “Barker did ok” - it’s fairly normal for youth players to look ok when they play 2/3 games, but it’s doing it consistently that is the issue. He was a complete unknown when he first played, after a few games teams would start working out his weaknesses. Not many 17 year olds break through at centre back given how important it is to be physically up to it and keep concentration.

It’s also not that uncommon for players to change position later on in their career, for example a defensive midfielder like Pratley covering at centre back, so I understand why Bowyer went with Pratley over Barker.
    I'm not convinced that Pratley can convert to CB though.  Looks ok as a CB in a back 3 but in back 2 he's flawed - doesn't attack the ball in the air early enough in my opinion and is prone to being pulled out of position, and giving away too many free kicks on the edge of the box (not that Pearce is much better on that last point!)
  • Fee of 200k, wasn't they looking for 7 figures minimum? I don't see him going for that price 
    I don't think it was 7 figures but it was more than we were prepared to go. I thought we offered around that figure (sure it was quoted on here at the time) and had the feeling they wanted double. I call bullshit on the "rumour" - can't see him going up to Huddersfield. 
    This aged well
    I doubted it as it seems a very strange move - for both parties. He is a loooong way from home & Huddersfield is hardly a football Mecca. I suppose for them he's a "punt" like Bonne was for us and would be interested in knowing the exact transfer fee as I'm sure we would have paid £200k back in October. 
    Have you put some cream on that pie Golfie 😉.
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    What is it with Barker, I've heard from people at the club say he's miles off first team. He's not the answer. We need a free loan
    What is the point  of a youth system if they struggle no good. He seemed fine in the games he played in .
    they need to be good enough...
    They need to be better than the other options.....which recently have been playing right backs and defensive midfielders at centre half. Bowyer seems to have an aversion to playing youth unless it is really the last option (like last season). Atm to him its not the last option so he'll continue with round pegs in square holes.
    This aged well
    Josh Koroma was signed from Orient, and he's really broken through for them this season
  • edited January 2021
    Redhenry said:

I have never seen Barker player as I was watching 7th and 8th tier football earlier in the season as I like to see the whole pitch and judge players on not just the narrow view of the TV screen. Since the close down  of lower Leagues football i have been back watching Valley pass and trying to Judge players despite not seeing all the runs off the ball.
    So Barker was in the team and got decent marks by fans but now is no where near the squad and  "million miles off the first team"
    Is he training with the first team ?

I understand he was playing full back and not Centre back, but why can't he be given a chance at CB when the others all give gifts away as if it's Xmas every game ?

Inniss and Famewo missing is affecting the whole team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    RedChaser said:
    James86 said:
    Not a rumour for us, but we were previously linked with him. My friend, who’s work colleague is good friends with Sorba Thomas, he has supposedly  agreed a 3 year deal with Huddersfield. £2500 P/W for a fee of £200K. One for the future is to be loaned back out to a lower league team. Bradford was mentioned. Not seen nothing on the internet about it 🤷 no harm in passing on what I’ve heard. 
    Deal with Huddersfield now confirmed, well done @James86 👏🏻👍and some humble pie for those who doubted you 😉.
    It’s the only bit of ITK info I’ll ever have!
  • James86 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    RedChaser said:
    James86 said:
    You never know... Sorba may now be a source for your mate's colleague
  • RedChaser said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    RedChaser said:
    James86 said:
    Nice one Daz. The trouble when people doubt a decent rumour, that person is unlikely to be as forthcoming in the future. Accept it for what it is I say 'A Rumour' rather than doubt it just to be able to say later 'I told you it wouldn't happen' 😏

Definition of the word, "Rumour" ........ "a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth".
    So any old nonsense can be justifiably called a rumour. And posted here. And it is!

But do people really want to read just any old nonsense?

What we are keen to read is a story at least rooted in truth, no smoke without fire, and could likely happen one way or another.
    Not withstanding of course, that the target player might end up signing for another club competing for his signature or the deal doesn't get finalised.

In the 'good old days' on Charlton Life, when @curb_it was famous for headlocks, a decent story or possibility was always followed by: "Nailed on, FACT". 
    Now nobody knows what I'm talking about. Not even me. :smile:

• James86 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    RedChaser said:
    James86 said:

If you stop now you have a 100% record !

If Huddersfield accepted 200k, what did we offer in the window ?

I assume we never got to the stage of the wage offered to Sorba ?

When Millar name came into the frame it was obvious that we were out the picture for Thomas.

• @soapboxsam I have asked the questions. It’s interesting to find out. His colleagues trying to get in contact with Sorba to find out more. I’ll post on here when I hear back. 
  • DA9 said:
    I thought Michael Nottingham looked good for Accrington last week, imposing and comfortable on the ball 
    That rules us out then. 
  • edited January 2021
    Lee is obviously keeping his cards close to his chest and I imagine there is some money left under the cap but I highly doubt it’d be enough to sign anyone from the same league as us. I can only imagine we have a list of players we’re willing to lose eg Bogle but every other club at this level is in the same spot, I can’t imagine we’ll see many deals done between league 1/2 teams this window.