Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    Basically we need another Bielik, someone equally strong at defensive midfield and centre back, an upgrade on Pratley essentially
    Without  the same propensity for getting send off which Bielik has.
    Might be missing something here, but Bielik was never sent off for us, as far as I remember. Plenty of yellow cards, but never a red. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Basically we need another Bielik, someone equally strong at defensive midfield and centre back, an upgrade on Pratley essentially
    Might be missing something here, but Bielik was never sent off for us, as far as I remember. Plenty of yellow cards, but never a red. 
    He has only had 1 red in his career and that was for Derby 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I would love to see 2 or 3 18-20 year olds bought in this window with the view of them being in contention for the 1st team in the summer.

Whether it's a consequence of the last 2 or 3 years or has just happened it seems an area we are short in. 

It's hard to get behind a rebuilding project when you only sign players in their late 20s or early (even mid) 30s or loans you have no realist chance of signing medium term. 
    I think we have promoted so many youngsters that have then left, the cupboard is a bit bare. Sounds like a good idea.
    Have we?

I think if you look at the 23+ range we have lost a lot of players that would be the core of a half decent championship side.

I think it maybe the rest of other factors at play. If you look at the current u23s there are a lot of "external" players then quite a gap to Henry and Barker. 
    Our academy has actually produced relatively few players in the last 2 or 3 years really, in comparison to some other periods when Charlton have relied on U23s

Morgan and Doughty, but nobody else really knocking on the door in terms of outfield players in the 19-22 year old  age group other than perhaps Vennings. No centre backs or strikers who could have done a job during our recent injury problems, indeed it's quite unusual to see a Charlton side with NO home grown defenders at all, when you consider the number who have come through down the years
    Thing is we would have had Gomez, konsa and grant as players in that bracket (not sure we can count lookman?) so they are coming through but we have just cashed in on them!
    They are all 23 as to is Lookman.  Aribo is 24.

On Tuesday we probably won't have an academy player in the 18.  I am not sure AMB counts.

I do wonder if we are starting to see the "being out of the Premier league" effect impact our early years recruitment and we aren't compensating with the likes of Aribo and Lookman as we were.

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree but, for me, it looks like an area on concern. 
    Maynard-Brewer joined when he was 16 so in that debatable bracket

With the amount of First Team kids we've churned out this last decade or so I always felt that there would come a time when that conveyor belt would slow down a bit eventually, and that we'd go through a bit of a blip

Definitely agree that we're potentially suffering from being out of the Premier League now though; Barker | Henry | Vennings, even Morgan (who like you say will be suspended on Tuesday, hence not having an Academy Player in that squad), are they truly good enough for the Premier League some day, or will they be solid Championship or lower Football League standard?
    Remember kids like Timmy Abraham, Jeremy Sarmiento and likely others I have never heard of have been spirited away at 16 and must now be 18-20.  I also thought our U18's are meant to be highly thought of.  

The likes of AMB, Barker and Henry certainly have a chance as well.
    Largie Ramazani is another, released by Man Utd in the summer but now playing in the Spanish second tier.

Biggest impact may have been players who left or chose other clubs while in the younger age groups. Not being in the Prem may have been the difference between them coming through our academy or going elsewhere.
  • sam3110 said:
    He has only had 1 red in his career and that was for Derby 
    Thanks, no idea what the original poster was on about then. 
  • I wonder if he’d be part of a possible Doughty deal?
  • Sponsored links:

• Big chap
  • Great prospect but I can’t see how we’ll get him with Championship clubs sniffing around. Fingers crossed
  • Have to hope he values playing regular football over a slightly higher salary at the present moment.
  • Have to hope he values playing regular football over a slightly higher salary at the present moment.
    We'll be able to offer him a decent amount as he was 20 at the start of last year. We might even be offering more than what some of the championship clubs are. 
  • Sage said:
    Now that’s the type of midfielder we need.

He’s strong, agile, and technically good too. A very good age as well, recently 21. Would be good signing from what I’ve seen in bits and pieces when he was on loan at Wycombe last season.
    All of this. 
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I would love to see 2 or 3 18-20 year olds bought in this window with the view of them being in contention for the 1st team in the summer.

Whether it's a consequence of the last 2 or 3 years or has just happened it seems an area we are short in. 

It's hard to get behind a rebuilding project when you only sign players in their late 20s or early (even mid) 30s or loans you have no realist chance of signing medium term. 
    I think we have promoted so many youngsters that have then left, the cupboard is a bit bare. Sounds like a good idea.
    Have we?

I think if you look at the 23+ range we have lost a lot of players that would be the core of a half decent championship side.

I think it maybe the rest of other factors at play. If you look at the current u23s there are a lot of "external" players then quite a gap to Henry and Barker. 
    Our academy has actually produced relatively few players in the last 2 or 3 years really, in comparison to some other periods when Charlton have relied on U23s

Morgan and Doughty, but nobody else really knocking on the door in terms of outfield players in the 19-22 year old  age group other than perhaps Vennings. No centre backs or strikers who could have done a job during our recent injury problems, indeed it's quite unusual to see a Charlton side with NO home grown defenders at all, when you consider the number who have come through down the years
    Thing is we would have had Gomez, konsa and grant as players in that bracket (not sure we can count lookman?) so they are coming through but we have just cashed in on them!
    They are all 23 as to is Lookman.  Aribo is 24.

On Tuesday we probably won't have an academy player in the 18.  I am not sure AMB counts.

I do wonder if we are starting to see the "being out of the Premier league" effect impact our early years recruitment and we aren't compensating with the likes of Aribo and Lookman as we were.

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree but, for me, it looks like an area on concern. 
    Maynard-Brewer joined when he was 16 so in that debatable bracket

With the amount of First Team kids we've churned out this last decade or so I always felt that there would come a time when that conveyor belt would slow down a bit eventually, and that we'd go through a bit of a blip

Definitely agree that we're potentially suffering from being out of the Premier League now though; Barker | Henry | Vennings, even Morgan (who like you say will be suspended on Tuesday, hence not having an Academy Player in that squad), are they truly good enough for the Premier League some day, or will they be solid Championship or lower Football League standard?
    Remember kids like Timmy Abraham, Jeremy Sarmiento and likely others I have never heard of have been spirited away at 16 and must now be 18-20.  I also thought our U18's are meant to be highly thought of.  

The likes of AMB, Barker and Henry certainly have a chance as well.
    Largie Ramazani is another, released by Man Utd in the summer but now playing in the Spanish second tier.

Biggest impact may have been players who left or chose other clubs while in the younger age groups. Not being in the Prem may have been the difference between them coming through our academy or going elsewhere.
    And Jordan Zemura - left us to go to Bournemouth a couple of seasons back. Top quality LB and is now starting games in the Championship.
  • Shinnie, Famewo, Maatsen, Smyth, Millar all on loan already. If Doughty goes and comes back on loan that's 6. Even if we send Smyth back that's still the max 5 in one squad. I don't get how we'd then get a star striker in on loan with the budget constraints we have that will be markedly better than Washington
  • Sponsored links:

• seems a brute of a man, if he can play football even better 
  • sam3110 said:
    Shinnie, Famewo, Maatsen, Smyth, Millar all on loan already. If Doughty goes and comes back on loan that's 6. Even if we send Smyth back that's still the max 5 in one squad. I don't get how we'd then get a star striker in on loan with the budget constraints we have that will be markedly better than Washington
    I believe we can have as many loans as we can afford, it will just mean that they cannot all be in the match day squad.
    The odds will be that one or more will be rested, injured or suspended at any given time - or will be dropped.
  • Looks a decent prospect but surely that'll leave us a glut of central midfielders, considering we have Shinnie and Watson to come back, Pratley who's a central midfielder, Gilbey (on a 3 year contract) plus JFC and Morgan
  • Looks a decent prospect but surely that'll leave us a glut of central midfielders, considering we have Shinnie and Watson to come back, Pratley who's a central midfielder, Gilbey (on a 3 year contract) plus JFC and Morgan

Not many of those are comparable though. We need a physical presence in midfield with a bit of mobility about him. We currently have Pratley and Watson doing that role. Watson is looking pretty slow and has been a bit less effective than we'd hoped, and they're both 612 years old each. Bringing in a 21 year old to fill that role makes sense. If we pull this signing off I doubt one of Watson and Pratley, probably Watson, will be here next season and the new lad can learn from two masters of the craft for half the season. Shinnie, Gilbey, JFC and Morgan all offer something quite different and having mobile Pratley-type frees them up to play their game even better
  • don't think Williams or Maddison will be here next season unless they pull up trees before the end of the season
  • don't think Williams or Maddison will be here next season unless they pull up trees before the end of the season
    I think Williams may be if he keeps working harder like Bows wants and takes a pay cut. Gawd knows with Maddison. I hugely rate him but clearly he’s not settled yet
  • Nice to be linked with a player, just sincerely hope whoever we sign is not injury prone!