Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    SamE7 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Loan fees are not included in salary cap right? So we could loan a decent player for £1m up front and the loaning club could agree that we pay 0% of their salary... 
    Loan fees are included, for that exact reason. 99% sure

The cap includes the following

• basic wages
    • taxes
    • bonuses
    • image rights
    • agents’ fees and
    • other fees and expenses paid directly or indirectly to players
    Not sure if 'Other fees and expenses' covers it as they're not paid directly or indirectly to the players. 
    Well a loan fee isn't paid to the player & is very much like a transfer fee so I doubt very much it is included in the figures. Whether the portion of the players wages that the other club is paying is, but I doubt that either because that was really the only way we could have brought in loans last season under the embargo. 

This.
    Loan fees do count against FFP limits but the salary cap is not part of FFP. It is an agreement within the league.
    FFP doesn't exist in League 1, the cap replaced SCMP, which was the League 1 version of FFP.
  • Nearly half way through the transfer window what would people target now? We've got our pacey winger and finisher, and after last nights sending off (although it would only be a 1 game ban) do we need to target a new CB in case of future injuries? Or a battling midfielder like Bowyer has voiced his desire for.
  • edited January 2021
    Nearly half way through the transfer window what would people target now? We've got our pacey winger and finisher, and after last nights sending off (although it would only be a 1 game ban) do we need to target a new CB in case of future injuries? Or a battling midfielder like Bowyer has voiced his desire for.
    Centre-Back as thats an area we just cant get much consistency at the moment

And if they're out there a Josh Cullen type Midfielder who can carry the ball and has the bite of Pratley / Watson so a younger version of Shinnie effectively

Feel those two areas are the ones hurting us the most at the present
  • Nearly half way through the transfer window what would people target now? We've got our pacey winger and finisher, and after last nights sending off (although it would only be a 1 game ban) do we need to target a new CB in case of future injuries? Or a battling midfielder like Bowyer has voiced his desire for.
    CB is a must , I'd look for someone as a long term Pearce replacement. CM if there's an outstanding talent that becomes available who could offer something a bit different to what we currently have then that would be good.

However to get 2 in you'd probably need 4 out and I just don't see that happening. 

And if they're out there a Josh Cullen type Midfielder who can carry the ball and has the bite of Pratley / Watson so a younger version of Shinnie effectively

That's what I think but I don't think its achievable. Our squad is a decent size, and with the salary cap I can't see how we can afford to bring in two. We need a CB but I'd say we need to offload Pearce to afford it which is unlikely to happen. Same with the midfielder, I can only see it happening if we can move someone like Bogle on, which again is doubtful. 
  • Defensive midfield and centre half are a must. Both are desperately needed. If I had choose one I would go Defensive midfield first. 
  • edited January 2021
    MarcusH26 said:
    Nearly half way through the transfer window what would people target now? We've got our pacey winger and finisher, and after last nights sending off (although it would only be a 1 game ban) do we need to target a new CB in case of future injuries? Or a battling midfielder like Bowyer has voiced his desire for.
    CB is a must , I'd look for someone as a long term Pearce replacement. CM if there's an outstanding talent that becomes available who could offer something a bit different to what we currently have then that would be good.

However to get 2 in you'd probably need 4 out and I just don't see that happening. 

I don't think we'll be able to get a long-term replacement in this window, with the wage cap. If anything, we will have to settle for a 5th choice CB from a bigger club on a loan where they will pay all of his wages (basically beg a favour) or an U21 in on loan. Or we could just put Barker in and develop him by playing him (in my view, the best way). 
  • Simonsen said:
    MarcusH26 said:

I don't think we'll be able to get a long-term replacement in this window, with the wage cap. If anything, we will have to settle for a 5th choice CB from a bigger club on a loan where they will pay all of his wages (basically beg a favour) or an U21 in on loan. Or we could just put Barker in and develop him by playing him (in my view, the best way). 
    Playing Barker is probably the best move actually. Get minutes into one of our own prospects .
  • Sponsored links:

• Bowyer isn't going to play Barker, more likely to be someone like Mingi but even then if he hasn't done by now I can't see it. Could definitely do with one on the bench at least Saturday. 

Definitely the 2 areas we need to beef up, but I don't think we can have both, so I think the management is going to have to choose one or the other. 

Definitely the 2 areas we need to beef up, but I don't think we can have both, so I think the management is going to have to choose one or the other. 
    I also think we will only get one, but I think it will be less what the manager wants and more as to who is available for the money we have left.
  • Andy delort is wanted by wolves and Newcastle for 14million....
  • edited January 2021
    So, 11 points from 11 games suggests the decision not to blood a youth team CB has backfired. We've conceded quite heavily in this period, so experience did not lead to a better resolution of this situation really, did it?

That could have been 10 games of invaluable experience for somebody like Barker or Mingi, but as it would have led to tougher decisions in midfield, I feel it was avoided. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We've only ever seen Barker played out of position in League One, which is something people on here hate. Bowyer didn't feel confident putting him in at centre half because he wasn't ready and he felt less damage would be done to him and the team if he was at RB. Pratley played at centre back in two of those games to accommodate him. He did well against Crewe, scored an own goal and was subbed after 60 minutes against Doncaster and was completely lost against Lincoln. I don't blame him for any of that, but he's very young and he's clearly not ready. It doesn't matter that Pele was playing for Brazil at his age, players progress at different speeds and Barker isn't there yet according to a manager who has never been shy about using our youth players in a pinch. You can do a  lot of harm to a player by throwing them into a difficult situation and putting too much responsibility on them too early; just look how long it took Grant to regain his confidence after being chucked up against Championship sides when he was miles off.
    Exactly right.

People also forget that Barker was only thrown in at the time because we were under an embargo and he didn't qualify as a senior player (something like that anyway).
    If it wasn't for that, he wouldn't have even been playing, but that aside i still don't get why in our time of need and CB shortage, we haven't looked to the U23s. There must be one centre back who can do a job there?
    They would have looked and discussed it as a management team. They obviously concluded that none were ready yet, or not as good as those who played.
  • Medley has barely played. Coyle played quite a bit and apparently doing ok so not sure why it's been cut short. 
  • Whilst I "kind of" agree that Barker may not be the answer - Pratley and Gunther certainly hasn't been with 11 points from 11 games.    Barker is a round peg for a round hole.   So is Mings.   I am pretty sure one of them playing there, with Pratley in centre midfield could well have returned more points - I doubt less, given the sides we have been playing.

Having an unfit Gilbey in there hasn't been working.   Neither has Bogle.   I reckon Barker would have done just as well up front as Bogle.... kidding, but you see the point - play a centre half - one of our own, at centre half...

I'm sorry if my questioning of Lee Bowyer's judgement is debatable - given I have just watched the worst 35 minutes in the history of watching Charlton Athletic and seen a centre forward, playing at wing back have another arsehole torn out of him by a 17 year old Palace reject....

• Medley is left footed. 

I thought he was highly rated. If Arsenal paid his wages he might be worth a punt. 
  • supaclive said:
    Whilst I "kind of" agree that Barker may not be the answer - Pratley and Gunther certainly hasn't been with 11 points from 11 games.    Barker is a round peg for a round hole.   So is Mings.   I am pretty sure one of them playing there, with Pratley in centre midfield could well have returned more points - I doubt less, given the sides we have been playing.

Having an unfit Gilbey in there hasn't been working.   Neither has Bogle.   I reckon Barker would have done just as well up front as Bogle.... kidding, but you see the point - play a centre half - one of our own, at centre half...

I'm sorry if my questioning of Lee Bowyer's judgement is debatable - given I have just watched the worst 35 minutes in the history of watching Charlton Athletic and seen a centre forward, playing at wing back have another arsehole torn out of him by a 17 year old Palace reject....

Watson was playing midfield so would you have both him and Pratley or dropped Watson?

You can question Lee’s judgement as much as you like, but I remain totally unconvinced that Barker would have been better than Pratley at centre half. Has Mings even played a men’s game yet? Have you seen him play?

Oshi however.
  • Redrobo said:
    supaclive said:
    Whilst I "kind of" agree that Barker may not be the answer - Pratley and Gunther certainly hasn't been with 11 points from 11 games.    Barker is a round peg for a round hole.   So is Mings.   I am pretty sure one of them playing there, with Pratley in centre midfield could well have returned more points - I doubt less, given the sides we have been playing.

Watson was playing midfield so would you have both him and Pratley or dropped Watson?

You can question Lee’s judgement as much as you like, but I remain totally unconvinced that Barker would have been better than Pratley at centre half. Has Mings even played a men’s game yet? Have you seen him play?

Oshi however.
    After the last couple of games I think if Oshi is dropped once Pratley and Watson are back he would be within his rights to be pissed off, I dont think he has done much wrong and is good enough to start ahead of the stand in's we have been utilising. Barker as well I dont really understand, the only time I have seen him play is when he was drafted into the team and again I thought he played ok and didnt look out of place. Mings I havent seen so cannot comment, all I can say is I really would rather not see Pratley back in CB when we have players that can play that position. 
  • Andy delort is wanted by wolves and Newcastle for 14million....
    I wonder if we are entitled to some sort of sell on :)

Jokes aside that doesn't surprise me, he has been fantastic in ligue 1, one of the top players there, built for the prem from what I've seen of him 
  • Redrobo said:
    supaclive said:

Oshi however.
    I would have played them both or dropped Watson, with Albie in front and Chuks as the one man up front with Smyth/Williams/Maddison as wide men- 4-2-3-1

Or 4-5-1

But Desi would have played for sure.

Now we have Schwartz and Millar.