Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    Great window so far. We needed a better striker to put chances away and some pace injected into the side to replace Alfie. We've added that in at the first available opportunity, which is very unlike the Charlton of recent years. Time will tell if the players work out and how quickly Schwartz can get up to speed but on the face of it we've done exactly what we needed to do already. I feel like our defenders are good players, and they'll look a lot better than they have done recently once the pressure is lifted off them by our attacking play having more going for it
    Agree on the first half, but honestly believe with Pratley playing CB with Pearce, we won't be good enough regardless of attack. We desperately need Famewo/Innis/New CB or the top of the pitch will be barely relevant. 
    I want them back asap too, but I don't think what we have is as bad as all that. They are suitable squad players and taking the pressure off them through better attacking play will protect their shortcomings a little more. I would like to see us bring in another CB though while the main two heal as we'd benefit from more quality there, but we can definitely beat teams in this league with what we have if we're doing more damage at the other end of the pitch
    I just can't agree. From watching the last 6/7 games, we're completely up against it - it's hard to find the words to say how bad it's been. I admit, Pearce is a little better as he's a natural CB and left footed which is slightly better than Gunter/Pratley, but regardless of the combination of Pearce/Pratley/Gunter you still have no height or leap at all to combat target men, they're too slow to track the runner in behind. They're prone to mistakes as they're not used to being there (Gunter pen comes to mind as well as Pratley first goal vs Hull not covering the space) etc. You can have lethal finishers up the other end, but you still need a solid back line to bring the ball forward. 

If you don't have that solid backline you end up with your attacking players having to drop very, very deep to retrieve the ball and then they're busting a gut to get forward. The only players I see capable right now of linking play are Williams who never plays and Maddison who rarely plays too. That's why we're SO much more effective with Innis/Famewo because they're confident and able enough to travel 20 yards forward and pick a pass, it also frees up the players in front of them to exploit space rather than having to cover, knowing that their centre-half's are most likely about to be beat.
    It's been bad, but it's a wider team malaise. We were quite comfortable with a CH pairing of Famewo and Gunter against a good Pompey side, beat Fleetwood with a pairing of Inniss and Pratley, and should have beaten Gillingham if not for a missed pen with Pratley and Gunter. We should really have beaten Shrewsbury and that was when we had a pairing of Pearce and Famewo, one of the only times recently we've had two proper centre backs recently. The issue there was that the whole team went into its shell and allowed Shrews to play. We murdered Wimbledon with Pratley and Pearce, but only after the rest of the team woke up and we started attacking. Against Swindon we let them take the initiative at the death again all over the pitch with the same pairing. The point is that in amongst our very poor performances since we lost our first choice pairing, our biggest issue has been that the whole team has lacked cohesion and the ability to put together flowing moves owing to a lack of width, pace, imagination and passivity as the games have gone on. We've given away cheap goals which, yes, does come about due to some players being unused to their positions, but we've also given away late goals when we've left our defenders to do all the work for 30 minutes and not created anything. In the second half against Wimbledon you could have put a clothes horse and a copy of Heat at centre half and it wouldn't have made a difference because we forced all the play to happen in their half, scoring 4 goals. There was no pressure on our backline as a result. I agree with you that we could do with getting another quality CH in, if only to replace Deji and improve the squad as a whole, but we have a good CH in Pearce and Pratley is easing towards becoming a CH at this stage in his career anyway. We can always improve all over but if the window closed right now I'd be happier with us having brought in a striker and a pacy winger than if we'd singed a couple of defenders. Hopefully we can get a defender too and keep building
  • What is the general consensus? We probably need to shift a couple before having enough under the cap to get another centre back in? Or sadly send famewo back and try and replace with another loan?
  • jams said:
    What is the general consensus? We probably need to shift a couple before having enough under the cap to get another centre back in? Or sadly send famewo back and try and replace with another loan?
    Both seem plausible, Bowyer/Gallen said two early doors (which we have now done) and more business later on. I'm presuming what happens next depends on what business others do and who becomes available/sold.

I expect there to be some outgoings but not sure on who or how many, especially now we're back in lockdown.
  • jams said:
    What is the general consensus? We probably need to shift a couple before having enough under the cap to get another centre back in? Or sadly send famewo back and try and replace with another loan?
    Nooooo, Famewo has to stay. We may get lucky and get to buy him if Norwich go up and he should be fit and plating before the end of the season so ready for Wemberley!
    Innis is recovering quicker than expected apparently which would be a huge lift.
  • thenewbie said:
    jams said:
    Both seem plausible, Bowyer/Gallen said two early doors (which we have now done) and more business later on. I'm presuming what happens next depends on what business others do and who becomes available/sold.

I expect there to be some outgoings but not sure on who or how many, especially now we're back in lockdown.
    Perhaps this is where lapslie's departure comes in - can't see oztumer staying if we get a reasonable offer 
  • Redrobo said:
    jams said:
    Nooooo, Famewo has to stay. We may get lucky and get to buy him if Norwich go up and he should be fit and plating before the end of the season so ready for Wemberley!
    Innis is recovering quicker than expected apparently which would be a huge lift.

I'd like famewo to stay too but if he will be out injured I don't know if we can afford to be paying his salary with no return , harsh as that is 
  • Ferryman said:
    sammy391 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    For the lack of announcements today I’m surprised at the lack of meltdown. Was expecting barrages of posts “where are they then????”
    we've signed 2 players
    Schwartz and...?
    Millar, although it’s not actually been announced yet. 
    His wikipedia page says Charlton Athletic 

Wikipedia doesn't mean he has signed, anyone can edit that. I could edit the Pope to says he plays for us, doesn't mean he has
    Two_Sheds was a master at it.🤨🧐😏
  • jams said:
    Redrobo said:
    jams said:

I'd like famewo to stay too but if he will be out injured I don't know if we can afford to be paying his salary with no return , harsh as that is 
    Bows has said he would like to keep him and mentioned the possibility that a break in the season may occur that will make it a sensible thing to do. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting given our links to Liam Lindsey
  • jams said:
    thenewbie said:
    jams said:

Perhaps this is where lapslie's departure comes in - can't see oztumer staying if we get a reasonable offer 
    Oztumer is a no go.
    If Bristol sign him perm then fine, but he can’t play for another club this season.
    the only way they sign him is if we let them have him for free, but he’ll be above the wage cap, so they may prefer the subsidised wage.
    We can’t pay up his contract as that doesn’t free up budget for us.
    Lapslie could go, Doughty if the Scottish clubs come calling but that doesn’t affect wages.
  • mart77 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    jams said:
    thenewbie said:
    jams said:

Oztumer is a no go.
    If Bristol sign him perm then fine, but he can’t play for another club this season.
    the only way they sign him is if we let them have him for free, but he’ll be above the wage cap, so they may prefer the subsidised wage.
    Lapslie could go, Doughty if the Scottish clubs come calling but that doesn’t affect wages.
    I thought it was already confirmed that since June players can play for 3 teams in a season. Maybe I misheard.
    Not sure. I read it in an interview with the Bristol manager.
    If Innis and Famewo had stayed fit, I reckon that Oshilaja would have been heading out of the door.
  • mart77 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    jams said:
    thenewbie said:
    jams said:

Oztumer is a no go.
    I thought it was already confirmed that since June players can play for 3 teams in a season. Maybe I misheard.
    That's correct.  Special dispensation for this season that a player can play for 3 teams
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    Laddick01 said:
    I agree. Would be sad to see him go but that makes sense to me.

If Bowyer and Gallen think there’s no chance on a contract then it’s a very good deal for us.
    I replied to the tweet saying that its a good deal if they include Liam Lindsey on loan till the summer with them paying 100% of his wage
    Sounds like a plan, plus a sell on clause for Alfie of course.
    A big one
  • The risk the club may have to weigh up would be do we leave it until the end of the season and see if we get promoted. If so, Alfie should sign.

If not, how is the money we get offered in this window compared to what we would get from compensation if he stayed in England?

If he goes cross border, we will get a fraction of £650k if the bid is true.

If we sell him and as @ForeverAddickted has suggested, we get Lindsay in with Stoke covering the whole wages, that is a reasonable deal, but not great in my eyes.

A lot depends on Alfie, and it seems as though he won’t be signing unless we are a Championship club next season.
  • I suppose the question surrounds Alfie's contract

- Is he going to sign one at all
     - Will he potentially sign one in the summer if we're a Championship club

If its the latter and we do stand a chance of keeping him where we get a proper decent fee in a few years then its fully worth doing just that

Or do we let him go for a lot less where we can bring in another player and so increase our chances of being in the Championship next year, as unfortunately Alfie wont be able to help this year

Difficult decision to make if that were the case
  • I suppose the question surrounds Alfie's contract

- Is he going to sign one at all
     - Will he potentially sign one in the summer if we're a Championship club

If its the latter and we do stand a chance of keeping him where we get a proper decent fee in a few years then its fully worth doing just that

Or do we let him go for a lot less where we can bring in another player and so increase our chances of being in the Championship next year, as unfortunately Alfie wont be able to help this year

Difficult decision to make if that were the case
    The club have offered him a new contract , I am sure there is a promotion clause , and if his agent is any good it will have a release clause tied to a fee if we don’t get promotion.  

To me that would work all ways for Alfie and the club. 

If he isn’t going to sign then take the money now 
  • Sage said:
    The risk the club may have to weigh up would be do we leave it until the end of the season and see if we get promoted. If so, Alfie should sign.

If not, how is the money we get offered in this window compared to what we would get from compensation if he stayed in England?

If he goes cross border, we will get a fraction of £650k if the bid is true.

If we sell him and as @ForeverAddickted has suggested, we get Lindsay in with Stoke covering the whole wages, that is a reasonable deal, but not great in my eyes.

A lot depends on Alfie, and it seems as though he won’t be signing unless we are a Championship club next season.
    He can talk to the Scottish clubs now.
    He can agree a deal and I’d imagine they’d put a big offer on the table for him.
    even in the Championship we wouldn’t match a salary they’d offer.
  • Actually signing Lindsey on loan becomes rather pointless as we'd get to the point where one loan player cant be in the squad

We're alright at the moment (despite having six loans now) because Shinnie and Famewo are injured

Reckon before the Transfer Window closes; Levitt will be sent back to Man Utd, only there isnt the rush at the moment

Dont see why we'd then go back to six loans instead of sticking to five, like I keep repeating each year... It doesnt seem Bowyer / Gallen's style