Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Ferryman said:
    sammy391 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    For the lack of announcements today I’m surprised at the lack of meltdown. Was expecting barrages of posts “where are they then????”
    we've signed 2 players
    Schwartz and...?
    Millar, although it’s not actually been announced yet. 
    His wikipedia page says Charlton Athletic 

Wikipedia doesn't mean he has signed, anyone can edit that. I could edit the Pope to says he plays for us, doesn't mean he has
  • Managing to keep players fit, in the era of a salary cap is as important as signing new players it seems.
  • Ferryman said:
    sammy391 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    For the lack of announcements today I’m surprised at the lack of meltdown. Was expecting barrages of posts “where are they then????”
    we've signed 2 players
    Schwartz and...?

Wikipedia doesn't mean he has signed, anyone can edit that. I could edit the Pope to says he plays for us, doesn't mean he has
    By heck he could do a job for us, though. Practically infallible i hear. 
  • edited January 2021
    Ferryman said:
    sammy391 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    we've signed 2 players
    Schwartz and...?

True but circumstances have just overtaken events.............Welcome Liam! CB is now the priority.
  • Just noticed that we have seven matches this month. Gallen/Bowyer said we will get two at the start and a couple at the end. Hoping we will get the defender in ASAP as I don’t think we can wait until the end of the month with 21 points up for grabs before then.
  • Great window so far. We needed a better striker to put chances away and some pace injected into the side to replace Alfie. We've added that in at the first available opportunity, which is very unlike the Charlton of recent years. Time will tell if the players work out and how quickly Schwartz can get up to speed but on the face of it we've done exactly what we needed to do already. I feel like our defenders are good players, and they'll look a lot better than they have done recently once the pressure is lifted off them by our attacking play having more going for it
  • Sponsored links:

• Ferryman said:
    sammy391 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    we've signed 2 players
    Schwartz and...?

Well he did until he went to Burnley  ;)
  • Vfrf said:
    Great window so far. We needed a better striker to put chances away and some pace injected into the side to replace Alfie. We've added that in at the first available opportunity, which is very unlike the Charlton of recent years. Time will tell if the players work out and how quickly Schwartz can get up to speed but on the face of it we've done exactly what we needed to do already. I feel like our defenders are good players, and they'll look a lot better than they have done recently once the pressure is lifted off them by our attacking play having more going for it
    Agree on the first half, but honestly believe with Pratley playing CB with Pearce, we won't be good enough regardless of attack. We desperately need Famewo/Innis/New CB or the top of the pitch will be barely relevant. 
    I want them back asap too, but I don't think what we have is as bad as all that. They are suitable squad players and taking the pressure off them through better attacking play will protect their shortcomings a little more. I would like to see us bring in another CB though while the main two heal as we'd benefit from more quality there, but we can definitely beat teams in this league with what we have if we're doing more damage at the other end of the pitch
  • Vfrf said:
    Great window so far. We needed a better striker to put chances away and some pace injected into the side to replace Alfie. We've added that in at the first available opportunity, which is very unlike the Charlton of recent years. Time will tell if the players work out and how quickly Schwartz can get up to speed but on the face of it we've done exactly what we needed to do already. I feel like our defenders are good players, and they'll look a lot better than they have done recently once the pressure is lifted off them by our attacking play having more going for it
    Agree on the first half, but honestly believe with Pratley playing CB with Pearce, we won't be good enough regardless of attack. We desperately need Famewo/Innis/New CB or the top of the pitch will be barely relevant. 
    I want them back asap too, but I don't think what we have is as bad as all that. They are suitable squad players and taking the pressure off them through better attacking play will protect their shortcomings a little more. I would like to see us bring in another CB though while the main two heal as we'd benefit from more quality there, but we can definitely beat teams in this league with what we have if we're doing more damage at the other end of the pitch
    I just can't agree. From watching the last 6/7 games, we're completely up against it - it's hard to find the words to say how bad it's been. I admit, Pearce is a little better as he's a natural CB and left footed which is slightly better than Gunter/Pratley, but regardless of the combination of Pearce/Pratley/Gunter you still have no height or leap at all to combat target men, they're too slow to track the runner in behind. They're prone to mistakes as they're not used to being there (Gunter pen comes to mind as well as Pratley first goal vs Hull not covering the space) etc. You can have lethal finishers up the other end, but you still need a solid back line to bring the ball forward. 

If you don't have that solid backline you end up with your attacking players having to drop very, very deep to retrieve the ball and then they're busting a gut to get forward. The only players I see capable right now of linking play are Williams who never plays and Maddison who rarely plays too. That's why we're SO much more effective with Innis/Famewo because they're confident and able enough to travel 20 yards forward and pick a pass, it also frees up the players in front of them to exploit space rather than having to cover, knowing that their centre-half's are most likely about to be beat.
  • DOUCHER said:
    as mentioned yesterday, Innis is way ahead of schedule and is actually fir to play now but they don't want to risk him breaking down again so are holding off getting him involved again yet so its a bit of a dilemma - i'd say if we can offload oshalaja (who clearly isn't in LB's plans) then we get another in - i reckon they will see how Innis goes in a few weeks if can't offload oshalaja and decide then  
    Wow, thats excellent news if Inniss is fit again now... Really impressive recovery from him

Cant blame the medical team for being cautious, they've been burnt so much these last twelve months

At some point though they do need to take the risk with a player though

Just because something happened a few years ago (under different ownership as well) doesnt mean it'll keep happening
  • DOUCHER said:
    as mentioned yesterday, Innis is way ahead of schedule and is actually fir to play now but they don't want to risk him breaking down again so are holding off getting him involved again yet so its a bit of a dilemma - i'd say if we can offload oshalaja (who clearly isn't in LB's plans) then we get another in - i reckon they will see how Innis goes in a few weeks if can't offload oshalaja and decide then  
    Wow, thats excellent news if Inniss is fit again now... Really impressive recovery from him

Cant blame the medical team for being cautious, they've been burnt so much these last twelve months

Just because something happened a few years ago (under different ownership as well) doesnt mean it'll keep happening
    Didn’t a poster on here see him at a train station just before Christmas and he said he was nearly fit to play?
  • DOUCHER said:

Didn’t a poster on here see him at a train station just before Christmas and he said he was nearly fit to play?
    Think it was mentioned he was about 3 weeks away at the time, which was probably about 3 weeks ago thinking about it
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    iaitch said:
    Then Southeastern shut the door on his leg and he's out till May.
    On that note still sends a shiver down my spine when I think back to Yann who got on our train with sliding doors after an away win at Brentford in just his flip flops. I mean wtf his feet were so precious!
  • Good news about Innis. Lets hope his return to the first 11 is now as slow as Pearce and Osh's. 
  • Pleased with the business so far, but if we can get an *actual* centre back in as well, then I will feel much more confident about our prospects of going up this season.
  • I think the fella who had a photo with iniss was Brad hulyer , bradders the man in the van on twitter 
  • iaitch said:
    Then Southeastern shut the door on his leg and he's out till May.
    Bogle missed the door!

ive promised myself to lay off him, I just can’t do it!!
  • edited January 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    The standout aspect from the line ups of both sides yesterday was the average age of the respective sides - Hull's was 24 and ours nearer 29. They had 7 players 24 or younger whereas we had 2 including an 18 year old loanee. They didn't have a single player over 30 but we had 5  in that category. The average age of Lincoln's starting XI was 24 too with 7 of their side that age or under.

They are clearly building for the future and playing younger, fitter and faster players. We have signed and are playing a lot of bodies that are journeymen whose best years are behind them. 

When we went up last time we had the likes of Fosu-Henry, Aribo, Bielik, Cullen, Grant, Dijksteel, Lapslie and even a few cameos from Morgan who were all 23 or under but who went on to make 216 appearances between them. And all six of the ones that have left us are now playing at a higher level - Lapslie is on his way too and yet LB thought he was good enough to make 27 appearances as a 21 year old but who isn't now.

Where are their equivalents this season? Yes we are missing Doughty but who is to say that he isn't going to go the same way as so many before him? Morgan is a reluctant starter for LB too. We also have a couple of young CBs out injured but, again, take a look at the positions that most of the players above played in - the engine room or up top.

For both the short and long term LB has to begin to balance the side. And the absence of Watson and Pratley gives him the chance to start to do that. I hope that he doesn't waste it by not playing the likes of Morgan or by signing yet another player or two with question marks about whether they retain any pace or ability. Or, for that matter, desire.
    Wait a minute. At first glance, I get your point. Too many over 30 +. But perhaps we could look under the surface a little?

First of all you say that our average  age was "nearer 29" ...... and of course, straight away we see Pearce (33) and Pratley (35) at CB. 
    Neither of those would be playing CB if it wasn't for the fact that Inniss (24) and Famewo (22) are both victim of long term injury.

I'm not going to count 30 year old Amos, because most sides like to include an experienced keeper - and really, pace isn't an issue with him. :smile:
    Then there's Gunter (32) but he's quick enough. And Watson (35) who isn't - but he's now injured, so we won't see him for a while.

But our side, while missing Doughty (20) did include Morgan (21) and Maatsen (18).

We could/should also have started 24 year old Purrington at LB. 'Little' Smyth (23) is no geriatric either.

The rest of them sit in that 'player in his prime, 25-29' category. Can't see anything wrong with picking players who should be in their prime. 
    But as always it's the right combination that's needed. And we are right to question that.

But we didn't. And if we had a fit CB then we would have had Watson and Pratley in midfield so Morgan probably wouldn't have started. And if Doughty had played then Smyth wouldn't have. In fact, Smyth didn't even start. 

The point I am trying to make is that Lincoln and Hull do not play one 35 year old let alone two - anywhere! They have 7 or 8 under 24 not a token one or two. They don't drop flair players who have been MOMs in the previous game for square ball merchants. 

That isn't to say that a 35 year old with the CVs of Pratley or Watson can't improve us. Whilst different players, they perform a similar role so unless one is covering for another position, they shouldn't both be on the team sheet. 

I doubt anybody can think of a period at any club where a different MOTM gets dropped in the next game in the space of a few games. Simply because it is ridiculous. It is ridiculous if you are a football manager, if you are a fan or even if you are a village idiot. It is a big reason for questioning what is wrong with Bowyer.