Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• That'll hopefully teach them to play silly buggars with their transfer
  • Fed up with our youngsters going for nothing due to the contract situation.

When is he due back from injury March time? 
  • So Doughty and phillips are with the same agency, who also coincidently refused to sign a new deal. A trend is forming there...
  • I think his agent is doing him a massive disservice, and clearly is just after the commission now. If he signs a new contract with us, he might still be in the Championship and with a club which is likely to give him time to develop, rather than as a big money buy where he will be expected to deliver straight away after his injury. Failing that if he tears up L1 next season, plenty of clubs will be after him then. He's only 21, so got plenty of time on his side.

And it's ridiculous that irrespective of how much we get for him, our "wages" allowance for the season is unchanged. 
  • I think his agent is doing him a massive disservice, and clearly is just after the commission now. If he signs a new contract with us, he might still be in the Championship and with a club which is likely to give him time to develop, rather than as a big money buy where he will be expected to deliver straight away after his injury. Failing that if he tears up L1 next season, plenty of clubs will be after him then. He's only 21, so got plenty of time on his side.

And it's ridiculous that irrespective of how much we get for him, our "wages" allowance for the season is unchanged. 
    Couldn't agree more. He is nowhere near a finished article and we have the stability that others could use as an excuse before now. Really dissapointing from Alfie and his reps. 
  • Big question marks about the kind of player Doughty is when he returns.

His strength is his lung busting ability to pick the ball up and run box to box with it.

Will he still be capable of that when he returns? 
    It's a risky style, especially when it's already taken you out for a length of time once.
    Even if he is capable, would his body want him to.....or his agent?

One could argue that without pace, Alfie is pretty average and not the best technically.

I'd love him to stay, but I'm sure those with greater knowledge than me will be weighing it up.

Could end up like Danny Haynes with the hamstring vulnerable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    I'm ok with a fee in the 650k-1m range if we get a sizeable sell on fee of say 20-30%.

Yes we *could* get promoted and he signs in the summer but equally we could lose him for pennies if we don't. I'd take more comfort from the sell on rather than the transfer fee today, we don't get any kind of sell on clause from a tribunal.

Good luck Alfie - hopefully you're the last one out of the door due to Roland's mismanagement. Fingers crossed you're worth 10-15m in a few years and we get an extra couple of million out of the deal.
  • Everyone saying we should accept Stoke's bid for Doughty is missing one thing.

If you were Doughty would you want to rush in and sign for Stoke when there will almost certainly be better options - and more profitable ones for him - at the end of the season when he can leave on a free.

If I was him I'd just sit it out to the end of the season and weigh up my options then. 
  • Levitt hasn't departed yet, I wonder if he's moved up the pecking order without Watson & Pratley next few games? Time to have a proper look at him and send back before the end of the month if he doesn't perform. 
  • To be honest, if I was a young player who relied almost entirely on my pace and I tore my hamstring I’d be signing the highest value, longest contract I could as soon as it was offered up. What if some people are right and he actually has lost some serious pace when he comes back? In that case the sensible thing for him to do is sign with Stoke now before it’s proven either way and then sit on maybe the biggest contract he’s ever going to get until it runs out. If he’s kept his pace then he’s on more money. If he’s lost his pace then, well, they’re stuck with him 
  • edited January 2021
    Ferryman said:
    Levitt hasn't departed yet, I wonder if he's moved up the pecking order without Watson & Pratley next few games? Time to have a proper look at him and send back before the end of the month if he doesn't perform. 
    Might as well as with Shinnie / Famewo out injured, we're not exceeding our loan quota for games what with Miller our sixth loan at the moment
  • edited January 2021
    Can someone explain why a club would pay a fee for Doughty now rather than get him for free in the summer?
    As he’s injured until at least March, he probably won’t be up to speed until he’s had a preseason surely, so does he really have value this season? Also, wouldn’t Alfie himself prefer to move in the summer when he can get higher wages due to the lack of fee?
  • Everyone saying we should accept Stoke's bid for Doughty is missing one thing.

If you were Doughty would you want to rush in and sign for Stoke when there will almost certainly be better options - and more profitable ones for him - at the end of the season when he can leave on a free.

If I was him I'd just sit it out to the end of the season and weigh up my options then. 
    Stoke are pushing for the play offs, I don’t think he will get much better. Even if he goes to Celtic, he will be joining the bottom team in a two team league
  • Can someone explain why a club would pay a fee for Doughty now rather than get him for free in the summer?
    As he’s injured until at least March, he probably won’t be up to speed until he’s had a preseason surely, so does he really have value this season? Also, wouldn’t Alfie himself prefer to move in the summer when he can get higher wages due to the lack of fee?
    Because there is no guarantee that you will win the race to sign him. It may also be more expensive with a signing on fee.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stoke lost Tyrese Campbell for the season probably, so badly need some extra attacking options up top, Whether an injured L1 winger is what they need is another thing, maybe they see him as a long term punt

From our point of view, a fit Doughty returning in March could make the difference between promotion and another season in L1, so it's a difficult choice to make
  • Redrobo said:
    Can someone explain why a club would pay a fee for Doughty now rather than get him for free in the summer?
    Because there is no guarantee that you will win the race to sign him. It may also be more expensive with a signing on fee.
    Fair enough with guaranteeing they get him, but I can’t see how any extra wage/signing on fee would offset the purchase price and the wasted wages for the rest of this season. Just seems like a very expensive gamble to me.
  • He won’t be playing for any team that’s signs him so let him go and move on! I just hope neither Celtic or Rangers get him. 
  • edited January 2021
    Personally I don't think Doughty is as good as some on here do.
    I know he's still young but he's not a kid and running fast is one thing but it's what you do at the at the end of it that counts.
    He frustrates me as he gets in really good positions, beats two men and then over hits the ball out of play. Still young though, when that clicks he will be a great player. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Personally I don't think Doughty is as good as some on here do.
    I know he's still young but he's not a kid and running fast is one thing but it's what you do at the at the end of it that counts.
    He frustrates me as he gets in really good positions, beats two men and then over hits the ball out of play. Still young though, when that clicks he will be a great player. 
    I remember a certain Gareth Bale doing the same before he hit the heights then bang, out of nowhere!