Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• edited January 2021
    What Kilmarnock fans thought -

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/01/09/kilmarnock-fans-react-as-liverpool-recall-liam-miller/

Interestingly Wiki mentions that his father also played for us.

• £51.95 ... or the cheaper alternative at £6.99 (including VAT).

• Ben Ranson beats local paper's to the Story or is it because he's allowed that outlet in Sky?
  • What Kilmarnock fans thought -

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/01/09/kilmarnock-fans-react-as-liverpool-recall-liam-miller/

They didn't sound too impressed. "Rank" said one poster. Christ, we just cannot afford to sign any 'passengers,'
  • iaitch said:
    We'll have Pearce playing central midfield and Albie at centre half the next game.
    ...and Ben Amos out wide?
  • The standout aspect from the line ups of both sides yesterday was the average age of the respective sides - Hull's was 24 and ours nearer 29. They had 7 players 24 or younger whereas we had 2 including an 18 year old loanee. They didn't have a single player over 30 but we had 5  in that category. The average age of Lincoln's starting XI was 24 too with 7 of their side that age or under.

They are clearly building for the future and playing younger, fitter and faster players. We have signed and are playing a lot of bodies that are journeymen whose best years are behind them. 

When we went up last time we had the likes of Fosu-Henry, Aribo, Bielik, Cullen, Grant, Dijksteel, Lapslie and even a few cameos from Morgan who were all 23 or under but who went on to make 216 appearances between them. And all six of the ones that have left us are now playing at a higher level - Lapslie is on his way too and yet LB thought he was good enough to make 27 appearances as a 21 year old but who isn't now.

Where are their equivalents this season? Yes we are missing Doughty but who is to say that he isn't going to go the same way as so many before him? Morgan is a reluctant starter for LB too. We also have a couple of young CBs out injured but, again, take a look at the positions that most of the players above played in - the engine room or up top.

For both the short and long term LB has to begin to balance the side. And the absence of Watson and Pratley gives him the chance to start to do that. I hope that he doesn't waste it by not playing the likes of Morgan or by signing yet another player or two with question marks about whether they retain any pace or ability. Or, for that matter, desire.
    Wait a minute. At first glance, I get your point. Too many over 30 +. But perhaps we could look under the surface a little?

First of all you say that our average  age was "nearer 29" ...... and of course, straight away we see Pearce (33) and Pratley (35) at CB. 
    Neither of those would be playing CB if it wasn't for the fact that Inniss (24) and Famewo (22) are both victim of long term injury.

I'm not going to count 30 year old Amos, because most sides like to include an experienced keeper - and really, pace isn't an issue with him. :smile:
    Then there's Gunter (32) but he's quick enough. And Watson (35) who isn't - but he's now injured, so we won't see him for a while.

But our side, while missing Doughty (20) did include Morgan (21) and Maatsen (18).

We could/should also have started 24 year old Purrington at LB. 'Little' Smyth (23) is no geriatric either.

The rest of them sit in that 'player in his prime, 25-29' category. Can't see anything wrong with picking players who should be in their prime. 
    But as always it's the right combination that's needed. And we are right to question that.

• Is it fair to say we aren't overwhelmed by this one
  • I wonder if Bows and Gallen are looking at Liam Miller of Liverpool for a loan - highly rated - and good experience at Kilmarnock last season . Could be a very good League 1 loan. 

• Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    We don’t think he is ready for the Championship so not worth having on a long contract.
    Well Bows clearly doesn't rate Deji, Pearce is 33 and Famewo isn't our player so think that's madness. 21 and 50 odd games at this level, think he'd be a very good signing. 
  • addick19 said:

They didn't sound too impressed. "Rank" said one poster. Christ, we just cannot afford to sign any 'passengers,'
    Not fair to quote the negative response as most of those were fairly positive. Let's give the lad a chance before we start calling him a passenger. 
  • edited January 2021
    addick19 said:

Not fair to quote the negative response as most of those were fairly positive. Let's give the lad a chance before we start calling him a passenger. 
    Yeh but this is CL let the writing off and underwhelming begin😏..........Golfie........get your fan club on the case 😉
  • I wonder if Bows and Gallen are looking at Liam Miller of Liverpool for a loan - highly rated - and good experience at Kilmarnock last season . Could be a very good League 1 loan. 

Another winger cum striker, sounds similar to Smyth from what I have read (I have never seen him play).

His wiki says he is a number 9 who has scored 2 in 33 🙄
  • Oggy Red said:
    The standout aspect from the line ups of both sides yesterday was the average age of the respective sides - Hull's was 24 and ours nearer 29. They had 7 players 24 or younger whereas we had 2 including an 18 year old loanee. They didn't have a single player over 30 but we had 5  in that category. The average age of Lincoln's starting XI was 24 too with 7 of their side that age or under.

They are clearly building for the future and playing younger, fitter and faster players. We have signed and are playing a lot of bodies that are journeymen whose best years are behind them. 

When we went up last time we had the likes of Fosu-Henry, Aribo, Bielik, Cullen, Grant, Dijksteel, Lapslie and even a few cameos from Morgan who were all 23 or under but who went on to make 216 appearances between them. And all six of the ones that have left us are now playing at a higher level - Lapslie is on his way too and yet LB thought he was good enough to make 27 appearances as a 21 year old but who isn't now.

Where are their equivalents this season? Yes we are missing Doughty but who is to say that he isn't going to go the same way as so many before him? Morgan is a reluctant starter for LB too. We also have a couple of young CBs out injured but, again, take a look at the positions that most of the players above played in - the engine room or up top.

For both the short and long term LB has to begin to balance the side. And the absence of Watson and Pratley gives him the chance to start to do that. I hope that he doesn't waste it by not playing the likes of Morgan or by signing yet another player or two with question marks about whether they retain any pace or ability. Or, for that matter, desire.
    Wait a minute. At first glance, I get your point. Too many over 30 +. But perhaps we could look under the surface a little?

First of all you say that our average  age was "nearer 29" ...... and of course, straight away we see Pearce (33) and Pratley (35) at CB. 
    Neither of those would be playing CB if it wasn't for the fact that Inniss (24) and Famewo (22) are both victim of long term injury.

I'm not going to count 30 year old Amos, because most sides like to include an experienced keeper - and really, pace isn't an issue with him. :smile:
    Then there's Gunter (32) but he's quick enough. And Watson (35) who isn't - but he's now injured, so we won't see him for a while.

But our side, while missing Doughty (20) did include Morgan (21) and Maatsen (18).

We could/should also have started 24 year old Purrington at LB. 'Little' Smyth (23) is no geriatric either.

The rest of them sit in that 'player in his prime, 25-29' category. Can't see anything wrong with picking players who should be in their prime. 
    But as always it's the right combination that's needed. And we are right to question that.

But we didn't. And if we had a fit CB then we would have had Watson and Pratley in midfield so Morgan probably wouldn't have started. And if Doughty had played then Smyth wouldn't have. In fact, Smyth didn't even start. 

The point I am trying to make is that Lincoln and Hull do not play one 35 year old let alone two - anywhere! They have 7 or 8 under 24 not a token one or two. They don't drop flair players who have been MOMs in the previous game for square ball merchants. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I wonder if Bows and Gallen are looking at Liam Miller of Liverpool for a loan - highly rated - and good experience at Kilmarnock last season . Could be a very good League 1 loan. 

Another winger cum striker, sounds similar to Smyth from what I have read (I have never seen him play).

I think we will be going back to a 433 again to get some width and pace. Millar/Smyth/Washington either side of Schwartz/Aneke. 
  • Being brutal, should we send Paul Smyth back, as to me I don't see what he adds to the squad, especially as Miller gives us some pace? Use the loan space to get a young CB or striker.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I wonder if Bows and Gallen are looking at Liam Miller of Liverpool for a loan - highly rated - and good experience at Kilmarnock last season . Could be a very good League 1 loan. 

I think we will be going back to a 433 again to get some width and pace. Millar/Smyth/Washington either side of Schwartz/Aneke. 
    We didn't have the midfielders to make that work in October and I don't think that has changed? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems a decent signing and offers us what we need pace wise.

Probably be a few dissapointed on here though as I’m guessing this was the exciting signing that had been suggested.

Interesting to see how he’ll turn out.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

We didn't have the midfielders to make that work in October and I don't think that has changed? 
    Not sure, I still think there's more to come from Gilbey. You would imagine Pratley/Watson will fill one of the spost, I think Shinnie/Morgan/Gilbey/JFC fighting for two spots isn't too bad. Maddison might play RW too with Miller down the left. 
  • What Kilmarnock fans thought -

If he did I don't remember him and wonder if anyone else does? Another article says that his grandfather, Malcolm, played for Sunderland but I can't seem to find anything about him doing so either.
  • Time for a separate thread on Miller
  • Being brutal, should we send Paul Smyth back, as to me I don't see what he adds to the squad, especially as Miller gives us some pace? Use the loan space to get a young CB or striker.
    Dont think Smyth is a slouch is he?

Personally think he can offer something for us. 
    I agree, I think Smyth has looked decent for us and quite dangerous. He was doing well before his gashed leg.

Any system we can play that avoids us having to play Bogle works for me. So if we can get back to the 4-3-3 where we look threatening with real pace on the flanks of Smyth/Washington/Miller Maddison and a real striker in the box like Chuks or Schwartz then that will work for me.

If we are going to start playing this way then I feel we need Shinnie back fast as his energy will be crucial in the middle of the park.
  • addick19 said:
    iaitch said:
    We'll have Pearce playing central midfield and Albie at centre half the next game.
    ...and Ben Amos out wide?
    I had Amos more of a left winger.
    Dont think Smyth is a slouch is he?

Personally think he can offer something for us. 
    But he's using up a loan space and his wages contribute to the salary cap, so it's possible we may be able to get someone in who improves the team more

• Shinnie is a class player for this level when he is healthy and Maddison and Williams are good enough attacking midfielders for our ambitions assuming we play the diamond midfield.  Our problem is Watson/Pratley are too slow to be effective holding midfielders at their age and our old men and JFC sacrifice any kind attacking threat in favor of a slow possession game.  We just play so slow.  When we were at our best a couple of years ago and early last year, we kept our defensive shape and then scored on the counter attack.  Even in our promotion year, we rarely had more than 50% possession. I haven’t seen Miller so I don’t know if he is the answer but I hope so because I don’t see Bowyer replacing Watson/Pratley even though he should.