Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Being brutal, should we send Paul Smyth back, as to me I don't see what he adds to the squad, especially as Miller gives us some pace? Use the loan space to get a young CB or striker.
    Dont think Smyth is a slouch is he?

Personally think he can offer something for us. 
    But he's using up a loan space and his wages contribute to the salary cap, so it's possible we may be able to get someone in who improves the team more

But if you read the articles qpr are covering practically all his wages almost (as a thanks for Bonne lol) so wouldn’t get anyone better in with what we would have available there.
  • With Millar coming in, does that fill all our Loan spots currently? I thought we'd already used them all frankly
  • RedRobin said:
    chev said:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nya_Kirby is being linked from palace
    Bloody hope not, not one to rule anyone out before they’ve put on a shirt but Bowyer is taking the piss saying the second player has been playing regularly....in Palace’s under-21’s!!!! 
    I reckon its him. Certainly won't be the kid from Arsenal who's on loan at Doncaster.
    Shouldn't we call him the Cat's nephew?
  • A scout I know sae him play for Liverpool U23's at Brighton, wasn't impressed. 
  • Time for a separate thread on Miller
    Time to spell his name right.
  • Wage cap is killing us.
    Going to be some tough decision to make in the summer, if we do not get promoted. A lot of players probably would need to take a haircut to be kept. 
    And the other clubs presumably (?)
  • Simonsen said:
    Wage cap is killing us.
    And the other clubs presumably (?)
    Yeah but we could pay more wages then other clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    Watson is not looking like a great signing at the moment, too slow and past his best, not been impressed with him so far, will he get up to speed / could we move him on?
  • edited January 2021
    Watson is not looking like a great signing at the moment, too slow and past his best, not been impressed with him so far, will he get up to speed / could we move him on?
    He signed for us so he could live in Beckenham. 
  • Watson is not looking like a great signing at the moment, too slow and past his best, not been impressed with him so far, will he get up to speed / could we move him on?
    Was Watson signed on a one year deal? 
    If we don’t go up this season we need a more youthful team next season imo. 
  • Watson is not looking like a great signing at the moment, too slow and past his best, not been impressed with him so far, will he get up to speed / could we move him on?
    That depends. He's got a 1 year contract with further 1 year option, which will be triggered if he plays a specific number of games.

I very much doubt it. He only signed a few months ago & really only joined us because we are local to his family (Beckenham I believe).

Also agree that the wage cap is killing us. Can't sign anyone decent, especially not anyone from Championship or above as we can only offer £2k - £3k per week. Even a decent player in League 2 could probably hold out for a team in the Championship.

We are screwed. Only be able to sign out of contract players (like Maddison) or loanees.  
  • Very odd to see how many people are hoping, even expecting, that players who have only been at Charlton for a few months are going to be sold or have contracts paid up so they can move on.

I know it's one way of getting players in with the salary cap but these were players chosen by Bowyer and Gallen and I really don't think they'll do this. It's not something that happens very often anyway.

I think Bowyer sees a role for all those players mentioned and we're more likely t
    With Millar coming in, does that fill all our Loan spots currently? I thought we'd already used them all frankly

I think I read somewhere that you can have up to eight loans but no more than five in the matchday squad.
  • Very odd to see how many people are hoping, even expecting, that players who have only been at Charlton for a few months are going to be sold or have contracts paid up so they can move on.

I know it's one way of getting players in with the salary cap but these were players chosen by Bowyer and Gallen and I really don't think they'll do this. It's not something that happens very often anyway.

I think Bowyer sees a role for all those players mentioned and we're more likely t
    With Millar coming in, does that fill all our Loan spots currently? I thought we'd already used them all frankly

I think I read somewhere that you can have up to eight loans but no more than five in the matchday squad.
    Thing is a lot of them were signed when we didn't have a pot to piss in, or running out of time. If they were given a clean slate under the same circumstances with the wage call in place they'd have signed a completely different team, I'm certain of it. They chose these players out of necessity more than desire, but again we won't be able to make wholesale changes until the summer

People say pay up someone's contract but don't seem to realise that that payment would go towards our already limited cap space. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    That depends. He's got a 1 year contract with further 1 year option, which will be triggered if he plays a specific number of games.

Safe to say he'll be with us next season then
  • Sponsored links:

• Still no announcement from the club? They love to drag it out....
  • Oggy Red said:

Safe to say he'll be with us next season then
    No doubt that was the plan.

He's played a lot of games already.

• Dembelle of Peterborough has handed in a transfer request. MacAnthony not happy & blaming the agent. Would love it to be us tapping him up but very seriously doubt it.
    Read on the weekend about talk of him going to Rangers

His brother is that kid @ Celtic who was getting good reviews when he at 15 a few years ago and is supposedly the next big thing
  • ...and some people voted for the, erm, 'anti-Zionist' that was Corbyn too.

What's your point?
    But they didn't understand irony, or something
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    We signed  him on last years form. Mutual decision 
    Yes we did, but if he wanted to live with his familey in say Winchester, he wouldn't have signed for us. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We signed  him on last years form. Mutual decision 
    Yes we did, but if he wanted to live with his familey in say Winchester, he wouldn't have signed for us. 
    Personally I was happy when he signed .

Interestingly in his long interview with Ollie Groome Watson said he wanted the deal to happen last year . I guess he knew he wasn't good enough for Palace anymore and a Beckenham base would be perfect for us .

I had hoped that he would be a mainstay and Pratley would be used as cover for him in a two game a week schedule .I can't understand why they have been paired up so often .