Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• If he does play for us again, he is likely to be Danny Haynes reincarnated IE still has the pace but hamstrings replaced with Cheesestrings.
  • mendonca said:
    It's easy to say that Doughty could be the difference between promotion or not, after coming back from injury. With such a statement we are assuming that he:

- Is fully motivated and up for the cause
    - Will be returning fit and raring to go from the go
    - Will not be mentally worried (playing on the fringes) about jeopardising a future move with a possible reinjury.

To me this feels like a quasi Lyle-Aribo situation that we could be seeing. Happy to take the money and replough it into a replacement for an U21 (sounds easy).
    Can we please not even put those two situations in the same bracket. Only thing remotely similar is they left at the end of their contract.
  • edited January 2021
    Alfie will be worth at least 10 times what a team pays for him in January in a years time.

For any club with as Del Boy would say ‘a bit of cash on the hip’ he’d be an investment that you could cash in on in the future.

Hes obviously not going to sign a new deal regrettably, but if he doesn’t want to be here,sell him now, will help towards fans not being at games etc.
  • I wouldn't worry about the fee now, just ensure a huge sell on clause is in there if he goes to Stoke (cause he won't be there for very long)

quality left footers with pace are a premium buy
  • Liam Lindsay is this year's David Davis. 

Everybody referencing an 8th choice CB at Stoke like he's been one of life's forgotten gifts. 

@JoshAddick. The two players mentioned were not put in the same brackets. I meant that the current situation reminded me of a kinda in between. 

That would be Philips and Alfie gone for peanuts. We also saw Cullen for for peanuts who we probably would have managed to keep had we got that vital point last season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Where were we first linked with Lindsay? Didn’t it come from one of those Twitter accounts that make up rumours?
  • mendonca said:
    Liam Lindsay is this year's David Davis. 

Everybody referencing an 8th choice CB at Stoke like he's been one of life's forgotten gifts. 

@JoshAddick. The two players mentioned were not put in the same brackets. I meant that the current situation reminded me of a kinda in between. 

That would be Philips and Alfie gone for peanuts. We also saw Cullen for for peanuts who we probably would have managed to keep had we got that vital point last season!
    No one is claiming he's Franco Baresi but he has experience at this level and in the championship, and was part of a solid Barnsley defence when they won promotion from this league 2 years ago.

What kind of signing would you be expecting a league one side hindered by a salary cap to be making?
    That's exactly my concern. He cost Stoke £2m and is on a high salary. If he's motivated enough to take a huge cut for another stab at L1 while permanently moving South for the first time, then would be happy. 

• edited January 2021
    mendonca said:
    mendonca said:

No one is claiming he's Franco Baresi but he has experience at this level and in the championship, and was part of a solid Barnsley defence when they won promotion from this league 2 years ago.

What kind of signing would you be expecting a league one side hindered by a salary cap to be making?
    That's exactly my concern. He cost Stoke £2m and is on a high salary. If he's motivated enough to take a huge cut for another stab at L1 while permanently moving South for the first time, then would be happy. 

As FA said though he doesn’t need to take a pay cut if we can negotiate a deal with Stoke for them to pay his wages whilst on loan to us until the end of the season. If you factor that in with a transfer fee if £650k mooted elsewhere that’ll add up to a more realistic price of nearer £1m which incidentally the Stoke Sentinel (local rag) has mentioned.
  • I think Liam Lindsay would be a terrific signing if we could get him as part of the deal.
  • KettsJohn said:
    Really hope we see Innis soon. He seems exactly the player we need to get us into a decent position again. obviously don't want to rush his return but do hope he is back in the red shirt shortly.
    A an outlet in both boxes is what we've been crying out for.
  • edited January 2021
    Lindsay is left footed which will mean our 3 of our first 4 choice CBs are Lefties. Not sure how Bows will bat with that. 
  • mendonca said:

Have to remember that Stoke for a while were all over the shop and players that came in probably didnt get the chance they deserved at the time.

Personally think he would be a solid addition but will see what happens in the coming weeks.

We do need a CB regardless though and would be disappointed if we cant get anyone else through the door. 

Do think if a suitable bid comes in for Alfie then we should let him go, someone mentioned £650k and if we got a sell on clause..Id take that all day.  
  • 650k for an injured player who will be gone for about 50p in the summer is a no brainer. Nice sell on and Lyndsay sent to us as part of the deal and it's good business imo
    If we keep him until the Summer and he goes to an English club then we'll hopefully get a development fee more than £650k as remember Gallen saying that we'd have got about £2m had Aribo done that

The problem is he could go to Celtic and we'd probably get half of what we're being offered at the moment
    Aribo on another level to Doughty though IMO
  • edited January 2021
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think Liam Lindsay would be a terrific signing if we could get him as part of the deal.
    He would. And the Alfie deal, with a sell on, makes perfect sense in our current predicament. 
    If we can get out of this league this season, hopefully with Thomas in charge signing promising kids to longer contracts from now on, this will be the last time we flog the family silverware. 

Or at the very least we get to see them fulfill some of their potential with us before they’re sold. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    Chunes said:
    Davo55 said:
    How long was his first contract at Charlton - 2 years?  Comes through our academy soaking up free tuition, gets given his chance of first team football early, spends 50% of his contract getting paid whilst injured.  Refuses to sign a new one.  Thanks for the memories Alfie.
    Spot on. Young players like Doughty showing a complete lack of loyalty to the club that's developed them pisses me off more than most things in football.
    Never really understand this argument.  My bro in law just finished his apprenticeship at Ford, how long does he have to stay there out of loyalty then?  

Footballers aren’t supporters, they treat their club the same way we treat our employers, they move when bigger money and opportunities come along.
    How can you compare Ford with your football club

I don't suppose Ford picked your brother out of a kids team of child automobile workers and took a chance on him, trained him up for free for X amount of years, gave him his first job, or that Ford has a history of depending upon raising these kids and getting fees for them for survival?

The way some people embrace the increasing soullessness of our sport
    I like this analogy, and speaking from experience there is a certain amount of loyalty involved, if I'm with a company in an industry who has earned my respect (i.e. treated/paid me fairly) and I get a comparative offer or maybe like 3% more on the salary, I'll very likely turn it down unless I'm unhappy with the company I'm with. Let alone as Chunes said, if I'd been given a free ride and education in the industry that will guarantee to set me up for the next 20 years of my life to earn big money, then absolutely I'd think long and hard about how I conduct myself. Nobody is asking Alfie to necessarily stay for 3 years, but a 1 year extension gives us some negotiating power - if he's wanted that badly clubs will still come in for him. And worst case scenario, he continues to develop under Charlton who are going in the right direction, financially secure, big plans etc.

Great post Chunes.
  • edited January 2021
    Chunes said:
    Davo55 said:
    How long was his first contract at Charlton - 2 years?  Comes through our academy soaking up free tuition, gets given his chance of first team football early, spends 50% of his contract getting paid whilst injured.  Refuses to sign a new one.  Thanks for the memories Alfie.
    Spot on. Young players like Doughty showing a complete lack of loyalty to the club that's developed them pisses me off more than most things in football.
    Never really understand this argument.  My bro in law just finished his apprenticeship at Ford, how long does he have to stay there out of loyalty then?  

Footballers aren’t supporters, they treat their club the same way we treat our employers, they move when bigger money and opportunities come along.

I don't suppose Ford picked your brother out of a kids team of child automobile workers and took a chance on him, trained him up for free for X amount of years, gave him his first job, or that Ford has a history of depending upon raising these kids and getting fees for them for survival?

Why are some so willing to embrace the increasing soullessness of our sport
    They’re both business’ who offer apprenticeships.  

That’s the way it is I don’t make the rules, the idea that young players shouldn’t move to probably quadruple their pay cos “loyalty” is absurd.
  • It’s likely a choice between 2.5k or 8k.  Try convincing your former self or your 20 year old son that you gotta show loyalty and stay.
  • It’s likely a choice between 2.5k or 8k.  Try convincing your former self or your 20 year old son that you gotta show loyalty and stay.
    You speak like this is his one and only shot of making it. Nobody is expecting to stay for the rest of his life, but if he's as good as he clearly thinks, one extra year at 21 year old won't harm his chances. If clubs are bidding 6/7 figures already, chances are they'd bid that regardless of his contract status - it simply gives the club some negotiation room. Absolute worst case scenario he signs and doesn't get a bid accepted, he's here for 1 year, pushing for promotion into the league he's trying to join and moves for free at the end of that. 
  • Chunes said:
    Davo55 said:

Why are some so willing to embrace the increasing soullessness of our sport
    They’re both business’ who offer apprenticeships.  

That’s the way it is I don’t make the rules, the idea that young players shouldn’t move to probably quadruple their pay cos “loyalty” is absurd.
    If we're a business does that make me a customer

• The contract signifies the loyalty both parties show to each other and we only offered him a contract that ends at the end of this season.