Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• What make any one think this January will be the supa dupa cheque book transfer period that last year wasn't. 

If Schwartz is signed it will be like Green last year..that then an embargo due to salary cap unless we get an U21 on loan.
    Won’t be an embargo, we’ll be able to bring more in if we can move others on.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The way round the salary cap and obvious holes in the squad is..... 

Pay Luton a fee for Shinnie and take over the last 6 months of his contract with them paying his wages.   You could possibly do the same with Smyth. 

Send Levitt back. 

Sign a striker with what ever is left of budget. 

Get a right sided center back in on loan.

Then get the best player you can on loan, provided he isn't a keeper or a right back he will almost certainly improve us. 

Then there is always the 5% over run on the salary cap, which works out at about 5k a week for a six month contract.

There is plenty of wiggle room. 
    Very difficult to do legally. You can’t take over someone’s contract when actually you are not taking over the contract at all. 
    Well you can, because that's exactly what Palace did to allow us to sign Williams. 

But we were still paying Williams a weekly wage, he just took a massive pay cut due to the pay off. Luton are already covering some of Shinnies wages aren’t they. I can’t see how it’s going to make much of a difference to the cap. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Pay Luton a fee for Shinnie and take over the last 6 months of his contract with them paying his wages.   You could possibly do the same with Smyth. 

Send Levitt back. 

Then get the best player you can on loan, provided he isn't a keeper or a right back he will almost certainly improve us. 

Then there is always the 5% over run on the salary cap, which works out at about 5k a week for a six month contract.

Very difficult to do legally. You can’t take over someone’s contract when actually you are not taking over the contract at all. 
    We must have done something similar with Williams when he signed.
    No I think Palace paid him off and so he took a pay cut. 
    Effectively the same thing.
    Nothing to do with taking over someone’s contract. Shinnie situation completely different because we already have him on loan, Williams was a new signing. 
  • What make any one think this January will be the supa dupa cheque book transfer period that last year wasn't. 

If Schwartz is signed it will be like Green last year..that then an embargo due to salary cap unless we get an U21 on loan.
    I don’t think anyone expects to see huge amounts of money spent. Striker is £300k, maybe the kid from Borham Wood £100k? and a loan.
    An outside possibility of another if we can shift a few.

I don’t think anyone else on the planet thinks we will be placed under an embargo.
  • Inniss out for at least seven weeks. Famewo unlikely to be seen again. Can’t see us getting promoted with the centre back options we currently have. 
  • I’ve been reminded that the transfer window opens on 2nd January 
    Yeah taken from the EFL website:

The purpose of this Regulation is to give The League an element of flexibility in its application, however in Season 2020/21 it shall be applied as follows:

- the Winter Transfer Window in Season 2020/21 will open on 2 January 2021.

- In the Championship division, Match round 23 is currently scheduled for 2 January 2021 and there is a strong likelihood that some fixtures will be moved to 3/4 January 2021 to accommodate TV selections.

- In order to ensure that all Clubs are treated equitably for Match round 23, the League will withhold confirmation of registration where applications are lodged on the morning of Saturday 2 January 2021, until after completion of match round 23, so Clubs selected for TV will not gain an advantage over the majority of Clubs who would play at 3pm on the Saturday.
    That's us fucked then for the Hull match, unless it only applies in The Championship. Going into a game against a promotion rival with just 2 recognised strikers, one of which is not very good & the other hardly prolific will not be very good.

Perhaps we should just do what every other team is doing and announce COVID IN THE RANKS and get the game called off.
  • edited December 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Send Levitt back. 

Well you can, because that's exactly what Palace did to allow us to sign Williams. 

But we were still paying Williams a weekly wage, he just took a massive pay cut due to the pay off. Luton are already covering some of Shinnies wages aren’t they. I can’t see how it’s going to make much of a difference to the cap. 
    I suppose the only thing about signing Shinnie permanently is if he accepts to be paid solely the wage he's being paid by us... How much of a drop that'll be seeing Luton wont be paying him anything is anyone's guess

But it would mean that if Levitt goes back, we'd have two loan spots we could use on U21 players as Shinnie wouldnt be taking one of those anymore

There is nothing to stop us signing a sixth loan player anyway as we'd be within our rights to do so, just doesnt seem Bowyer / Gallen's style as they then have to answer to the parent club as to why that player isnt being involved
  • FAVADDICK said:
    I asked Thomas around the rules about signing ronnie schwartz does it have to be done before the 1st which he answered yes it does i then asked him does he think he will sign to which he answered just watch the news so in my eyes that one is definitely done 
    Yes because of the new rules with Brexit Schwartz wouldn't reach the criteria so we HAVE to sign him before the 1st Jan.

• I asked Thomas around the rules about signing ronnie schwartz does it have to be done before the 1st which he answered yes it does i then asked him does he think he will sign to which he answered just watch the news so in my eyes that one is definitely done 
    How can we sign someone before the window opens on 1st ?
    You can sign players at any time but they can't be played until we get to the window
  • Sponsored links:

• We need to take advantage of the under-21 rule and start signing some quality young players. 

We've got a decent spine to the team but if we managed to find a gem like Lookman/Grant up front we'd end up running away with this league. Pay them over the odds and then sell them on next year. 
  • I’ve been reminded that the transfer window opens on 2nd January 
    Yeah taken from the EFL website:

The purpose of this Regulation is to give The League an element of flexibility in its application, however in Season 2020/21 it shall be applied as follows:

- the Winter Transfer Window in Season 2020/21 will open on 2 January 2021.

- In the Championship division, Match round 23 is currently scheduled for 2 January 2021 and there is a strong likelihood that some fixtures will be moved to 3/4 January 2021 to accommodate TV selections.

- In order to ensure that all Clubs are treated equitably for Match round 23, the League will withhold confirmation of registration where applications are lodged on the morning of Saturday 2 January 2021, until after completion of match round 23, so Clubs selected for TV will not gain an advantage over the majority of Clubs who would play at 3pm on the Saturday.
    That's us fucked then for the Hull match, unless it only applies in The Championship. Going into a game against a promotion rival with just 2 recognised strikers, one of which is not very good & the other hardly prolific will not be very good.

Perhaps we should just do what every other team is doing and announce COVID IN THE RANKS and get the game called off.
    Nothing to stop us lodging an application on 29\30\31 December though is there?
  • While most were bitterly disappointed at the final whistle on Saturday,  I thought  there was a calm anticipation about Bows on his VP interview. He thought we could/should be higher in the league, but we're 6th halfway through and that ain't the end of the world. 

Basically it was an absolute bonus to get the squad we had before the window shut - and he's probably taken that group as far as he can.

Now he's looking forward to shuffling the pack and going again in the second half of this season. Albeit with likely significant Covid disruption. 
  • edited December 2020
    Washington isn’t a finisher. His 6 goals when you look at them have been a mixture of luck and poor keeping.

But he does get in the right positions, and he’s definitely got more to his game that goals so I’d say getting rid of him is a bit premature
  • there’s no embargo if you break the cap, you get fined an amount of the breach 
  • Rothko said:
    there’s no embargo if you break the cap, you get fined an amount of the breach 
    If it’s just a fine, then some clubs would take that if it enabled promotion. 

But fortunately I doubt we will take the cheating route. 
  • edited December 2020
    Deji had a good game against Forest and looked a good prospect   , but I think he picked up a minor injury in that game and missed a few matches . He ended up becoming Mr Utility  , which didn't do him any favours  . Right wing back could be the position that best suits him .
    He also had a great game at Bristol City where we lost to a last minute goal (some things never change). He played right back & got in some great crosses. I expect he'll be off though as sadly we don't have many other players wd can offload.
    My memory is a bit hazy, but I’m pretty sure it was a Deji who switched off and lost his man who then scored the late winner for Bristol. 

That’s the problem with Deji. He has regular  and often costly lapses in concentration. He’s done it even this season. I forget which game it was but there was a simple pass back he put out for a corner which we conceded from. He’s just not shown himself to be reliable. 

Now, whether he is less reliable than an out of position Pratley or if we could get better at this stage with wage restrictions is open to debate, but let’s not pretend he’s particularly good. 

Would agree he’s looked best for us when playing right back. 
  • One move I'd like to see is Bogle + cash for Pigott. Rather that than Schwartz because Pigott can definitely do it in this league, whereas Schwartz is a bit of a risk in that regard.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2020
    There is always some kind of risk associated with signing a player who has no experience of the country they’re moving to but let’s compare the scoring record of Schwartz to the last striker we signed from the Danish top flight: Igor Vetokele.

Igor had scored 15 goals in 46 appearances (roughly 1 in 3) prior to joining. He was clearly a very good player at Championship level before injuries got the better of him. I think he could’ve been still banging them in England today if it wasn’t for how much he got overplayed.

By comparison, Schwartz has scored 64 goals in that same league over 166 appearances, that’s slightly better than 1 in 3.

Think he should have enough about him to be a top striker in this league and if we got promoted this season or next, cut it for a year or two in the league above.
  • edited December 2020
    Even if we had looked at Schwartz that summer, he probably would’ve preferred the move he got to Guingamp in Ligue 1 at the time. :-)

Wasn’t Igor a Bob Peeters pick anyway? Seem to remember the Belgian connection coming into play.
  • One move I'd like to see is Bogle + cash for Pigott. Rather that than Schwartz because Pigott can definitely do it in this league, whereas Schwartz is a bit of a risk in that regard.
    Schwartz will walk this league. Trust me. 
    In which case, such a shame he didn't sign in the last window.

I like your confidence but the guy is totally unproven in england something we know alot of players cant do and fail settling in

aswell as him not playing competitively and regularly for half a year or more so no doubt game fitness will be an issue

he may come in and do the bussiness who knows and the rumours its very close but personally would much prefer someone that is proven to score in england 
    obvs the cap makes this v v difficult i get that but this in my eyes is a massive gamble
    Kan han tale engelsk?  

• Deji had a good game against Forest and looked a good prospect   , but I think he picked up a minor injury in that game and missed a few matches . He ended up becoming Mr Utility  , which didn't do him any favours  . Right wing back could be the position that best suits him .
    He also had a great game at Bristol City where we lost to a last minute goal (some things never change). He played right back & got in some great crosses. I expect he'll be off though as sadly we don't have many other players wd can offload.
    My memory is a bit hazy, but I’m pretty sure it was a Deji who switched off and lost his man who then scored the late winner for Bristol. 

That’s the problem with Deji. He has regular  and often costly lapses in concentration. He’s done it even this season. I forget which game it was but there was a simple pass back he put out for a corner which we conceded from. He’s just not shown himself to be reliable. 

Now, whether he is less reliable than an out of position Pratley or if we could get better at this stage with wage restrictions is open to debate, but let’s not pretend he’s particularly good. 

Would agree he’s looked best for us when playing right back. 
    We've let in 2 goals in each of the last 3 games, and against 3 average sides too, which suggests that our other players also have lapses of concentration
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Send Levitt back. 

I suppose the only thing about signing Shinnie permanently is if he accepts to be paid solely the wage he's being paid by us... How much of a drop that'll be seeing Luton wont be paying him anything is anyone's guess

But it would mean that if Levitt goes back, we'd have two loan spots we could use on U21 players as Shinnie wouldnt be taking one of those anymore

There is nothing to stop us signing a sixth loan player anyway as we'd be within our rights to do so, just doesnt seem Bowyer / Gallen's style as they then have to answer to the parent club as to why that player isnt being involved
    It’s possible with Shinnie but I disagree with what Cafc43v3r posted. How can you buy a player with the old club still paying the players wages? I can’t think of a way that would work.