Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• we need schwarz plus 2 more pacy strikers - we don't need bogle or washington in any shape, form or status - they weaken the team being on the pitch as does jfc and oshelaja - if i were TS and wanted a way of bolstering the quality of the side, that is what i would be looking to do even though in normal circumstances, it would seem like chucking money away 
  • DOUCHER said:
    we need schwarz plus 2 more pacy strikers - we don't need bogle or washington in any shape, form or status - they weaken the team being on the pitch as does jfc and oshelaja - if i were TS and wanted a way of bolstering the quality of the side, that is what i would be looking to do even though in normal circumstances, it would seem like chucking money away 

What part of the salary cap do you understand ?
  • DOUCHER said:
    we need schwarz plus 2 more pacy strikers - we don't need bogle or washington in any shape, form or status - they weaken the team being on the pitch as does jfc and oshelaja - if i were TS and wanted a way of bolstering the quality of the side, that is what i would be looking to do even though in normal circumstances, it would seem like chucking money away 
    Bogle hasn’t delivered, agreed
    washington, I must be watching a different player. He works so hard and his movement creates opening for others that we haven’t taken advantage of. Likely to spend more time on the bench if we bring in a striker
    jfc and oshi, I would move on to improve the  squad if possible. Both suitable squad players but we should be trying to improve on them
  • SamE7 said:
    We absolutely need a centre back and i'd be amazed if we don't get one.

We've no idea when Famewo will return or even if Norwich want him back. But as good as he is, can we afford to be giving up cap space to an injured player who won't be here long term anyway?

Inniss will likely be a couple of months before he's fully fit and has a history of injuries, so again as good as he is, not sure we can rely on him either.

Oshilaja doesn't seem to be rated by Bowyer and about 80% of this forum.

Pearce is 33, Barker 17 and then we're down to playing Gunter and Pratley out of position which as we've seen in recent games isn't going to get us promoted.

So along with Schwartz, a centre back for me has to be a priority.
    Famewo isn't part of the cap, I'm not sure why people get confused so often
    Why not, he's 22?

Or are Norwich paying his wages?
  • edited December 2020
    no, coz aneke is dangerous - washington and bogle aren't - i would sooner take a couple of prem academy youngsters - mavidivi types - all washington and bogle can do is lay it off and work hard - we need players who can penetrate - the times washigton has got the ball second half, on the attack and he cuts back in hoping to wrong foot the defender because he knows he doesn't have the pace to do anything else, and bogle, well, i've never seen him do anything other than lay it off or fluff a shot
  • SamE7 said:

We've no idea when Famewo will return or even if Norwich want him back. But as good as he is, can we afford to be giving up cap space to an injured player who won't be here long term anyway?

Inniss will likely be a couple of months before he's fully fit and has a history of injuries, so again as good as he is, not sure we can rely on him either.

Pearce is 33, Barker 17 and then we're down to playing Gunter and Pratley out of position which as we've seen in recent games isn't going to get us promoted.

Why not, he's 22?

21 when he signed, if they start the season as 21 or under their wages aren't part of the dreaded cap. I also remember a piece when he signed saying that. I didn't mean to come across rude on my previous comment!
  • Not sure they'd want him to drop to league one but what about Troy Parrott on loan?

I read that Spurs are going to recall him from his loan at Millwall. He clearly hasn't done anything there but not sure if that's down to their turgid football or him just not being ready for the championship?

If the latter then maybe a drop down a division might help him?
  • edited December 2020
    DOUCHER said:
  • Sponsored links:

• he was a very dangerous player until his hamstring went - our attack is crying out for pace and i don't think schwarz is going to offer that - it needs sorting if we are to go up
  • Sage said:
    Bogle has been poor overall, but Washington offers us something no one else does. His movement and constant runs are something we don’t have elsewhere. The amount of runs he makes that he doesn’t get found is ridiculous. The amount of chances we make because of his movement, you wouldn’t believe. To say he’s not good enough is a ridiculous comment.

Washington will end on around 15 or so goals this season. That’s not bad at all, especially as he is no Taylor or Grant.

With a settled midfield and creative players picking their game up, he will only get more chances and score more goals.

Who cares what part of the body he scores with? Who cares if it is a clean contact? A goal off the arse is just as valuable as a strike like Maddison’s on Saturday.

Bogle needs to improve and I know many aren’t happy with him, but Washington has been good this season and often very much overlooked.
    i put washington in the same bracket as jfc - neat, tidy, good pro but ineffective - there's a reason why he doesn't receive the ball when he makes these runs i haven't noticed 
  • and there's a reason why Lb is trying so hard to get maatsen up the pitch - because we need players up there who can go past people 
  • edited December 2020
    SamE7 said:
    SamE7 said:

Why not, he's 22?

21 when he signed, if they start the season as 21 or under their wages aren't part of the dreaded cap. I also remember a piece when he signed saying that. I didn't mean to come across rude on my previous comment!
      This is wrong, unfortunately they had to be under 21 on the 1st January 2020.

The only way Famewo won't be included is if Norwich are paying his salary.
  • DOUCHER said:
    and there's a reason why Lb is trying so hard to get maatsen up the pitch - because we need players up there who can go past people 
    Agree we need pace but that was more likely because he wanted pace in midfield against Camara.
  • Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    and there's a reason why Lb is trying so hard to get maatsen up the pitch - because we need players up there who can go past people 
    Agree we need pace but that was more likely because he wanted pace in midfield against Camara.
    well he needs to start thinking more about why we create so few chances 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    SamE7 said:
    SamE7 said:

Why not, he's 22?

Famewo's costing us around £1.3k a week.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/in-depth-with-steve-gallen-charltons-director-of-football-on-the-last-transfer-window-and-one-of-the-toughest-periods-he-has-had-in-the-game/

“I had three or four ready to go but then we had a total embargo. A total embargo – I’d never heard of that before. Then after that it was just a regular embargo, £1,300 a week, and we signed Dylan Levitt and Akin Famewo, they came in under that sort of bracket.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    He is, we're looking to bring in attacking players.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-manager-lee-bowyer-outlines-key-area-he-wants-to-strengthen-in-january-transfer-window/

“In an ideal world we need to freshen up in the attacking third. If you look at the weekend [a 2-2 draw at Swindon] we should’ve been out of sight.
  • Sponsored links:

• nobody other than three defenders, two midfielders and two strikers ((:>)
  • NO loans please, just true blue Addick newcomers
  • DOUCHER said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I’m sure he is, we’ve been really unlucky with the Doughty injury. Definitely need a bit of pace and I fully expect Levitt to be replaced by an attacking midfielder with pace. 
  • Any rumours? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The way round the salary cap and obvious holes in the squad is..... 

Pay Luton a fee for Shinnie and take over the last 6 months of his contract with them paying his wages.   You could possibly do the same with Smyth. 

Send Levitt back. 

Sign a striker with what ever is left of budget. 

Get a right sided center back in on loan.

Then get the best player you can on loan, provided he isn't a keeper or a right back he will almost certainly improve us. 

Then there is always the 5% over run on the salary cap, which works out at about 5k a week for a six month contract.

There is plenty of wiggle room. 
    Very difficult to do legally. You can’t take over someone’s contract when actually you are not taking over the contract at all. 
    Well you can, because that's exactly what Palace did to allow us to sign Williams. 

But we were still paying Williams a weekly wage, he just took a massive pay cut due to the pay off. Luton are already covering some of Shinnies wages aren’t they. I can’t see how it’s going to make much of a difference to the cap. 
    I suppose the only thing about signing Shinnie permanently is if he accepts to be paid solely the wage he's being paid by us... How much of a drop that'll be seeing Luton wont be paying him anything is anyone's guess

But it would mean that if Levitt goes back, we'd have two loan spots we could use on U21 players as Shinnie wouldnt be taking one of those anymore

There is nothing to stop us signing a sixth loan player anyway as we'd be within our rights to do so, just doesnt seem Bowyer / Gallen's style as they then have to answer to the parent club as to why that player isnt being involved
    It’s possible with Shinnie but I disagree with what Cafc43v3r posted. How can you buy a player with the old club still paying the players wages? I can’t think of a way that would work. 

OK say Shinnie and Smyth are both on 5k a week of which their current clubs are paying 4k a week of. 

Over the 6 months they have left on thier contracts that's about 130k each. 

If we pay Luton £150k for Shinnie, of which they give him £130k as a golden handshake, sat payable over six months.  He can then play for us for a nominal wage.

I am pretty sure that Palace paid about 90% of William's wages and was playing for us for 100s, not 1000s a week.  They have also helped us out the same way with Innis.

It wouldn't be as easy with Smyth as QPR would be entitled to a development fee. 
  • Shouldn't we be asking why his club continue to refuse to play Ronnie. What has he done? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The way round the salary cap and obvious holes in the squad is..... 

Pay Luton a fee for Shinnie and take over the last 6 months of his contract with them paying his wages.   You could possibly do the same with Smyth. 

Send Levitt back. 

Sign a striker with what ever is left of budget. 

Get a right sided center back in on loan.

Then get the best player you can on loan, provided he isn't a keeper or a right back he will almost certainly improve us. 

Then there is always the 5% over run on the salary cap, which works out at about 5k a week for a six month contract.

There is plenty of wiggle room. 
    Very difficult to do legally. You can’t take over someone’s contract when actually you are not taking over the contract at all. 
    Well you can, because that's exactly what Palace did to allow us to sign Williams. 

But we were still paying Williams a weekly wage, he just took a massive pay cut due to the pay off. Luton are already covering some of Shinnies wages aren’t they. I can’t see how it’s going to make much of a difference to the cap. 
    I suppose the only thing about signing Shinnie permanently is if he accepts to be paid solely the wage he's being paid by us... How much of a drop that'll be seeing Luton wont be paying him anything is anyone's guess

But it would mean that if Levitt goes back, we'd have two loan spots we could use on U21 players as Shinnie wouldnt be taking one of those anymore

There is nothing to stop us signing a sixth loan player anyway as we'd be within our rights to do so, just doesnt seem Bowyer / Gallen's style as they then have to answer to the parent club as to why that player isnt being involved
    It’s possible with Shinnie but I disagree with what Cafc43v3r posted. How can you buy a player with the old club still paying the players wages? I can’t think of a way that would work. 

OK say Shinnie and Smyth are both on 5k a week of which their current clubs are paying 4k a week of. 

Over the 6 months they have left on thier contracts that's about 130k each. 

If we pay Luton £150k for Shinnie, of which they give him £130k as a golden handshake, sat payable over six months.  He can then play for us for a nominal wage.

I am pretty sure that Palace paid about 90% of William's wages and was playing for us for 100s, not 1000s a week.  They have also helped us out the same way with Innis.

It wouldn't be as easy with Smyth as QPR would be entitled to a development fee. 
    I’m not an expert but the difference with Inniss and Williams is that I don’t believe we paid any fee to Palace. They were in effect just released by Palace and then we signed them for whatever contract we offered. In your example, we would be buying Shinnie from Luton (hence the fee) but then they would be paying him off to leave (thus releasing him). Legally I’m not sure how that works with the EFL. Surely we cannot buy him and sign him on a free at the same time? 
  • Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    SamE7 said:
    SamE7 said:

Why not, he's 22?

Famewo's costing us around £1.3k a week.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/in-depth-with-steve-gallen-charltons-director-of-football-on-the-last-transfer-window-and-one-of-the-toughest-periods-he-has-had-in-the-game/

“I had three or four ready to go but then we had a total embargo. A total embargo – I’d never heard of that before. Then after that it was just a regular embargo, £1,300 a week, and we signed Dylan Levitt and Akin Famewo, they came in under that sort of bracket.
    Well worth reading that Steve Gallen interview again.
    It puts into perspective where we are as a club right now and the conditions we are subject to.

The bloke pulls off miracles on budget restrictions. We're lucky to have him.

Back more on topic, he's talking about our players on 2 grand a week and some on a just a grand or so.
    Also our wage bill is about £3m right now .... but obviously as a relegated club, we've retained some players on existing pre-wage cap contracts.

• Shouldn't we be asking why his club continue to refuse to play Ronnie. What has he done? 
    He's 31. His club now has a policy of rebuilding with younger players.