Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• If anyone ever felt that being a footballer in the lower leagues was glamorous,I think that image is truly extinguished.Players at this level earn not a lot more ,and in some cases less than the fans who watch them,they have little security and are moved around regularly rarely spending enough time at a club to get settled.We always have players coming to the end of their contracts,who dont know if they will get a new deal,players not been with clubs long who just have not clicked,and obviously fear losing their jobs,and being shunted off again.We have Aneke publicly stating his concern about his contract running out,Lapslie been here since a kid,now not wanted,we spent ages getting Ozi,now not wanted,Others in the squad who have not at present come good,that is just at Charlton.Digressed from the transfer rumours but needed to get this of my chest,wish we could be a little more tolerant to the guys on the pitch who are trying their best.
    Unfortunately the salary cap means that the club cannot be more tolerant. 
  • edited December 2020
    redbuttle said:
    If anyone ever felt that being a footballer in the lower leagues was glamorous,I think that image is truly extinguished.Players at this level earn not a lot more ,and in some cases less than the fans who watch them,they have little security and are moved around regularly rarely spending enough time at a club to get settled.We always have players coming to the end of their contracts,who dont know if they will get a new deal,players not been with clubs long who just have not clicked,and obviously fear losing their jobs,and being shunted off again.We have Aneke publicly stating his concern about his contract running out,Lapslie been here since a kid,now not wanted,we spent ages getting Ozi,now not wanted,Others in the squad who have not at present come good,that is just at Charlton.Digressed from the transfer rumours but needed to get this of my chest,wish we could be a little more tolerant to the guys on the pitch who are trying their best.
    And not wishing to appear unsympathetic but it’s a cut throat business albeit one the vast majority of us would have jumped at the opportunity to have a career in. 

Having said that you enter it at your own risk knowing that the failure rate is very high. Succeed by getting near the top of this profession these days and you don’t need to work again. Those that do need to work again have been most unfortunate one way or another. The PFA also guide and advise young pros to prepare for life after their careers are over and to plan financially, accordingly.

Nobody owes you a living and professional footballers are no different from the rest of us in that respect. Bah humbug!
  • MattF said:
    Seeing as he's a free agent in the summer I don't know why clubs don't just wait & get him for nothing then......unless they are really desperate for a small player who doesn't score.
  • chev said:
    Wonder if he’d be surplus to requirements if Norwich went up?
  • I doubt it as Norwich hold him in high regard and wanted him to have a full season playing 1st team football at CB. 

Our injury record with loanees is starting to outweigh the number of players we claim to improve on loan while at Charlton. Is it just me that thinks this will soon (or maybe already is having an) impact the final decision from clubs loaning out their "better" players to us? I genuinely do, sadly. 

• MattF said:
    Seeing as he's a free agent in the summer I don't know why clubs don't just wait & get him for nothing then......unless they are really desperate for a small player who doesn't score.
    They will get him for nothing now too if we want shot of him.
  • Valley11 said:
    chev said:
    Wonder if he’d be surplus to requirements if Norwich went up?
    Doubtful. Depending on how the rest of his season goes with injuries, they would probably look to step him up and get him a championship loan next season. Hopefully it'll be to us.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    redbuttle said:
    If anyone ever felt that being a footballer in the lower leagues was glamorous,I think that image is truly extinguished.Players at this level earn not a lot more ,and in some cases less than the fans who watch them,they have little security and are moved around regularly rarely spending enough time at a club to get settled.We always have players coming to the end of their contracts,who dont know if they will get a new deal,players not been with clubs long who just have not clicked,and obviously fear losing their jobs,and being shunted off again.We have Aneke publicly stating his concern about his contract running out,Lapslie been here since a kid,now not wanted,we spent ages getting Ozi,now not wanted,Others in the squad who have not at present come good,that is just at Charlton.Digressed from the transfer rumours but needed to get this of my chest,wish we could be a little more tolerant to the guys on the pitch who are trying their best.
    And not wishing to appear unsympathetic but it’s a cut throat business albeit one the vast majority of us would have jumped at the opportunity to have a career in. 

Having said that you enter it at your own risk knowing that the failure rate is very high. Succeed by getting near the top of this profession these days and you don’t need to work again. Those that do need to work again have been most unfortunate one way or another. The PFA also guide and advise young pros to prepare for life after their careers are over and to plan financially, accordingly.

Nobody owes you a living and professional footballers are no different from the rest of us in that respect. Bah humbug!
    All you say is true,except that if I made a mistake at work(When I worked),there were not thousands of people calling me all the  names under the sun and then as is the modern trait,continue the assassination on social media and clubs forums,which I am sure players read and must feel really low when there is continual abuse,move him on etc.,especially when contracts are up for renewal.
  • https://the72.co.uk/211454/ex-cardiff-city-and-charlton-athletic-target-becomes-available/

Armand Gnanduillet has become available on a free? I know it seems pretty much stamped that we are getting Ronnie but if it fell through, would anyone fancy him coming in?

His record in a bang average Blackpool team is decent. 
  • https://the72.co.uk/211454/ex-cardiff-city-and-charlton-athletic-target-becomes-available/

Armand Gnanduillet has become available on a free? I know it seems pretty much stamped that we are getting Ronnie but if it fell through, would anyone fancy him coming in?

I would have him AND Schwartz. Ditch Bogle & then you have 4 strikers to rotate.
    As much as you cant fault Bogle for effort, I did think the same. It would be an upscale for sure. 

Unless Bogle wants to leave in Jan, I cant see him going. 

• Armand and Schwartz would be good and bring confidence that we are after goals and wins! 

However, it may sound easy to say get rid of Bogle but how can that be done without it still eating up the salary cap?
  • If anyone ever felt that being a footballer in the lower leagues was glamorous,I think that image is truly extinguished.Players at this level earn not a lot more ,and in some cases less than the fans who watch them,they have little security and are moved around regularly rarely spending enough time at a club to get settled.We always have players coming to the end of their contracts,who dont know if they will get a new deal,players not been with clubs long who just have not clicked,and obviously fear losing their jobs,and being shunted off again.We have Aneke publicly stating his concern about his contract running out,Lapslie been here since a kid,now not wanted,we spent ages getting Ozi,now not wanted,Others in the squad who have not at present come good,that is just at Charlton.Digressed from the transfer rumours but needed to get this of my chest,wish we could be a little more tolerant to the guys on the pitch who are trying their best.
    Agree with the sentiment but the average League 2 player is on £2,200 a week to play football, I highly doubt even 1% of football fans get paid anywhere near that. 

Yes it’s tough to move city every couple of years but if you’re earning over £100,000 a year, every year, then it’s hardly a major problem. 
  • Yeah I can’t see Armand coming in if we have Schwartz already through the door. Unless we move on Bogle which I can’t see happening unless we loaned him out and offload his wages. 
    Agree with the sentiment but the average League 2 player is on £2,200 a week to play football, I highly doubt even 1% of football fans get paid anywhere near that. 

Yes it’s tough to move city every couple of years but if you’re earning over £100,000 a year, every year, then it’s hardly a major problem. 
    I agree it’s more than most fans get, but most fans have a career longer than 10-15 years. 

I agree it’s more than most fans get, but most fans have a career longer than 10-15 years. 
    Most people have a career that involves changes in jobs. Footballers are lucky that they earn so much at a young age to give them such a great start in life.
  • There's no real need to compare a footballer's earning to the fans is there? We don't compare Air hostesses salary with the passengers?

Like for like comparisons in similar professions make sense. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Josh Cullen, one of the most committed players in a Charlton shirt: Loan

Bielik, far too good for league one and a major factor in our playoff push: Loan

Conor Gallagher, ridiculous footballer: Loan

Get the loaned right and you’re getting a massive advantage. Maatsen, Famewo and Shinnie look good but definitely think we can find another gem.
    all very well and then they move on leaving the squad a lot weaker and needing constant rebuilding .. 'proper' signings allow for planning into the future and consistent team building and development
    This year we are aiming for top six and hopefully promotion. The cap does not allow for us to buy for the Championship so we need to just get what we need now.
    Problem is you then have a team full of players that aren't quite good enough for the Championship (remember last season) who have been signed on 2 or 3 year contracts & we you can't get rid of. As the poster you replied to had said, we've been down that road far too often over the past 7 or 8 years. 
    We are already in that situation in my opinion, and even if you thought that January was the time to turn that round, the CAP makes that extremely difficult.
  • Think AG would be decent. 
    Rugged centre forward who knows how to score in League 1. But what contract do you offer him? Two year deal I guess and hope he can make the step up to Champ should we make it this year. 
  • edited December 2020
    Redrobo said:

Most people have a career that involves changes in jobs. Footballers are lucky that they earn so much at a young age to give them such a great start in life.
    Not all players do though. Those who play at the top level are set for life, but if you were a 21 year old now playing in Leagues 1/2 it’s not that profitable. It’s a short term career and that’s why you can never really criticise one of our players wanting to leave for money.

Not while its happening,but 33-34 its over with 30 odd years left to earn a living.
  • I think I would prefer AG a proven L1 striker  to Schwartz who I see as a gamble   

The Dane could end up being the new Jim Melrose or alternatively the new Tomer Hemed. 

I hope that the Liam Lindsay rumours are true and I like the sound of Jack Clarke. 

I would offload Deji, Levitt and accept that Doughty is going north to facilitate this. Just to emphasise my view on Doughty is only if Celtic are poised to grab him on a pre contract. 

Was signed but the paperwork didn't go through on time.  Can't remember which window but not the last.
  • edited December 2020
    iaitch said:

Can't footballers have another career after playing? Plenty of other people lose their jobs and are told to retrain themselves, why not footballers?
    They do.

Think of the 80% of professional footballers who've never played in the Prem ...... never had the big contracts/signing on fees to set them up for life.

Over the generations, England World Cup winning hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst sold insurance; Addicks striker 'King' Arthur Horsfield became a postman; and our legendary Wembley hero Clive Mendonca works on a production line in a Nissan car factory.

Richard Rufus even became a vicar!

• Oggy Red said:
    iaitch said:

Can't footballers have another career after playing? Plenty of other people lose their jobs and are told to retrain themselves, why not footballers?
    They do.

Think of the 80% of professional footballers who've never played in the Prem ...... never had the big contracts/signing on fees to set them up for life.

Over the generations, England World Cup winning hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst sold insurance; Addicks striker 'King' Arthur Horsfield became a postman; and our legendary Wembley hero Clive Mendonca works on a production line in a Nissan car factory.

Richard Rufus even became a vicar!

Colin Walsh became a builder and then got a job for pwc as front of house, welcoming guests.
    john bumstead became a black cab driver 
    I think I read that Carl leaburn became a security guard
    steve jones became an eBay entrepreneur
    did derek hales run pubs?