Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• edited December 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    iaitch said:
    If anyone ever felt that being a footballer in the lower leagues was glamorous,I think that image is truly extinguished.Players at this level earn not a lot more ,and in some cases less than the fans who watch them,they have little security and are moved around regularly rarely spending enough time at a club to get settled.We always have players coming to the end of their contracts,who dont know if they will get a new deal,players not been with clubs long who just have not clicked,and obviously fear losing their jobs,and being shunted off again.We have Aneke publicly stating his concern about his contract running out,Lapslie been here since a kid,now not wanted,we spent ages getting Ozi,now not wanted,Others in the squad who have not at present come good,that is just at Charlton.Digressed from the transfer rumours but needed to get this of my chest,wish we could be a little more tolerant to the guys on the pitch who are trying their best.
    Agree with the sentiment but the average League 2 player is on £2,200 a week to play football, I highly doubt even 1% of football fans get paid anywhere near that. 

Yes it’s tough to move city every couple of years but if you’re earning over £100,000 a year, every year, then it’s hardly a major problem. 
    I agree it’s more than most fans get, but most fans have a career longer than 10-15 years. 
    Can't footballers have another career after playing? Plenty of other people lose their jobs and are told to retrain themselves, why not footballers?
    They do.

Think of the 80% of professional footballers who've never played in the Prem ...... never had the big contracts/signing on fees to set them up for life.

Over the generations, England World Cup winning hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst sold insurance; Addicks striker 'King' Arthur Horsfield became a postman; and our legendary Wembley hero Clive Mendonca works on a production line in a Nissan car factory.

Richard Rufus even became a vicar!

Colin Walsh became a builder and then got a job for pwc as front of house, welcoming guests.
    john bumstead became a black cab driver 
    I think I read that Carl leaburn became a security guard
    steve jones became an eBay entrepreneur
    did derek hales run pubs?
    Graham Moore, Wales & Charlton, was our skipper of the legendary Firmani side 1968-69. He did.

And Charlie Wright, our keeper in the same side, ran his cafe in Greenwich.

Not forgetting, Len Glover, who got involved in nefarious activities and spent time as a guest of Her Maj.
    As did also, Mark Aizlewood, Wales & Charlton, our skipper in Lenny's promotion side to the top tier First Division, 1985-86.

• Looks like a return to Grimsby was touted for Bogle before he came to us:

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/grimsby-town-omar-bogle-return-3958678

I expect there would be clubs interested in taking him on a 6 month loan. The challenge would of course though be how much of his wages they could pay.

He looked good when he first came on board. Can definitely hold the ball up. Just doesnt look confident in terms of scoring goals.
  • If anyone ever felt that being a footballer in the lower leagues was glamorous,I think that image is truly extinguished.Players at this level earn not a lot more ,and in some cases less than the fans who watch them,they have little security and are moved around regularly rarely spending enough time at a club to get settled.We always have players coming to the end of their contracts,who dont know if they will get a new deal,players not been with clubs long who just have not clicked,and obviously fear losing their jobs,and being shunted off again.We have Aneke publicly stating his concern about his contract running out,Lapslie been here since a kid,now not wanted,we spent ages getting Ozi,now not wanted,Others in the squad who have not at present come good,that is just at Charlton.Digressed from the transfer rumours but needed to get this of my chest,wish we could be a little more tolerant to the guys on the pitch who are trying their best.
    Agree with the sentiment but the average League 2 player is on £2,200 a week to play football, I highly doubt even 1% of football fans get paid anywhere near that. 

Yes it’s tough to move city every couple of years but if you’re earning over £100,000 a year, every year, then it’s hardly a major problem. 
    Not while its happening,but 33-34 its over with 30 odd years left to earn a living.
    I’d be interested what players earn being mediocre pundits after retiring. If they’ve already been media trained throughout there career then they don’t need to retrain for this and can jump comfortably in to this role. Having said that, majority of the pundits tend to be from top two divisions, so this wouldn’t be as applicable for league 1/2 players. 
  • If anyone ever felt that being a footballer in the lower leagues was glamorous,I think that image is truly extinguished.Players at this level earn not a lot more ,and in some cases less than the fans who watch them,they have little security and are moved around regularly rarely spending enough time at a club to get settled.We always have players coming to the end of their contracts,who dont know if they will get a new deal,players not been with clubs long who just have not clicked,and obviously fear losing their jobs,and being shunted off again.We have Aneke publicly stating his concern about his contract running out,Lapslie been here since a kid,now not wanted,we spent ages getting Ozi,now not wanted,Others in the squad who have not at present come good,that is just at Charlton.Digressed from the transfer rumours but needed to get this of my chest,wish we could be a little more tolerant to the guys on the pitch who are trying their best.

Not while its happening,but 33-34 its over with 30 odd years left to earn a living.
    I’d be interested what players earn being mediocre pundits after retiring. If they’ve already been media trained throughout there career then they don’t need to retrain for this and can jump comfortably in to this role. Having said that, majority of the pundits tend to be from top two divisions, so this wouldn’t be as applicable for league 1/2 players. 
    It wouldn't surprise me if most clubs in League Two went part time within 10 years.

Then players would have a regular job - plus play senior football.

• Redrobo said:
    If anyone ever felt that being a footballer in the lower leagues was glamorous,I think that image is truly extinguished.Players at this level earn not a lot more ,and in some cases less than the fans who watch them,they have little security and are moved around regularly rarely spending enough time at a club to get settled.We always have players coming to the end of their contracts,who dont know if they will get a new deal,players not been with clubs long who just have not clicked,and obviously fear losing their jobs,and being shunted off again.We have Aneke publicly stating his concern about his contract running out,Lapslie been here since a kid,now not wanted,we spent ages getting Ozi,now not wanted,Others in the squad who have not at present come good,that is just at Charlton.Digressed from the transfer rumours but needed to get this of my chest,wish we could be a little more tolerant to the guys on the pitch who are trying their best.

I agree it’s more than most fans get, but most fans have a career longer than 10-15 years. 
    Most people have a career that involves changes in jobs. Footballers are lucky that they earn so much at a young age to give them such a great start in life.
    Not all players do though. Those who play at the top level are set for life, but if you were a 21 year old now playing in Leagues 1/2 it’s not that profitable. It’s a short term career and that’s why you can never really criticise one of our players wanting to leave for money.
    £50k a year is a bloody good wage, I thought the average in League 2 was about £1100 per week and League 1 twice that. Maybe not set for life, but not bad. The comments above have not been about players wanting to leave for money so I am not sure why you chucked that in, it was about being tolerant of players earning the same as the fans but on short term contracts and the fear of career ending at anytime.
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Most people have a career that involves changes in jobs. Footballers are lucky that they earn so much at a young age to give them such a great start in life.
    Not all players do though. Those who play at the top level are set for life, but if you were a 21 year old now playing in Leagues 1/2 it’s not that profitable. It’s a short term career and that’s why you can never really criticise one of our players wanting to leave for money.
    £50k a year is a bloody good wage, I thought the average in League 2 was about £1100 per week and League 1 twice that. Maybe not set for life, but not bad. The comments above have not been about players wanting to leave for money so I am not sure why you chucked that in, it was about being tolerant of players earning the same as the fans but on short term contracts and the fear of career ending at anytime.
    50k is a decent wage yeah, but not outstanding if you lived in London. I do agree it's a great start as you are in your prime in your mid 20s, other careers you usually have to work your way up. The comment about players leaving wasn't really relevant, I was just saying it's why I find it hard to criticise players who leave because of money. Football is obviously a profitable job, but I don't think it's a simple task for players to simply change careers once they retire. They are under a lot of pressure at a young age and for most it's all they've known since they were a child. 
  • _MrDick said:
    Chunes said:
    Bloody hell I want to read rumours not whether JFC will start a roofing business in his retirement
    What a stupid post....we all know that he is planning to open a male grooming parlour
    Male grooming!! Nah, his post football career is in his initials ... Jake’s Fried Chicken. 
    I’m standing by my comment and will not back down.....
    jakes fringe cutting 
  • Sponsored links:

• I heard he’s opening a soft furnishings business Jake’s Fluffy Cushions. 
  • edited December 2020
    I heard he enjoys baking and is opening a shop called Jake's Fancy Cakies
  • Oggy Red said:
    One move I'd like to see is Bogle + cash for Pigott. Rather that than Schwartz because Pigott can definitely do it in this league, whereas Schwartz is a bit of a risk in that regard.
    Schwartz will walk this league. Trust me. 
    Kan han tale engelsk?  

Ja. Selvfølgelig

Danes speak better English than the English.
    Jan Molby spoke scouse better than Ian Rush.
    Jan Molby only learned English at Liverpool.  Olie Gunner has a reasonable Mancunian accent.
    And a shit Mancunian team.
    5th in the Premiershit is terrible.  Would hate us to be that bad.😀😀
    this is the transfer thread, please get back on topic by talking about JFC’s initials and future company name
  • MattF said:
    People are going to get so excited seeing the number of posts going up only to have their hopes dashed
    A rumours thread wouldn't be the same without disappointment, infighting and a sense of self-loathing after you check it yet again knowing nothing new will be posted
  • https://the72.co.uk/211454/ex-cardiff-city-and-charlton-athletic-target-becomes-available/

Armand Gnanduillet has become available on a free? I know it seems pretty much stamped that we are getting Ronnie but if it fell through, would anyone fancy him coming in?

His record in a bang average Blackpool team is decent. 
    I would have him AND Schwartz. Ditch Bogle & then you have 4 strikers to rotate.
    Except with the wages cap you can't  legally do that without movement in first and then guaranteed movement out. Anyway why is Gnanduillet being heaved out ? Footballers seeking work all over the place at present so I can't see it as a voluntary move. 
    Could Brexit have anything to do with it?

After this month I suspect he might find it difficult to get a work permit. 

• edited December 2020
    MattF said:
    People are going to get so excited seeing the number of posts going up only to have their hopes dashed
    A rumours thread wouldn't be the same without disappointment, infighting and a sense of self-loathing after you check it yet again knowing nothing new will be posted
    Is this the new takeover thread for disappointment?

• I heard he’s lined up a career as one of those speedy portrait artists you see at tourists hotspots - Jake’s Fast Caricatures. 
  • Can't see Bogle going, he's only just signed for us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    iaitch said:

Can't footballers have another career after playing? Plenty of other people lose their jobs and are told to retrain themselves, why not footballers?
    They do.

Think of the 80% of professional footballers who've never played in the Prem ...... never had the big contracts/signing on fees to set them up for life.

Over the generations, England World Cup winning hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst sold insurance; Addicks striker 'King' Arthur Horsfield became a postman; and our legendary Wembley hero Clive Mendonca works on a production line in a Nissan car factory.

Richard Rufus even became a vicar!

and a convicted fraudster or is the conviction still to come?
  • edited December 2020
    https://the72.co.uk/211454/ex-cardiff-city-and-charlton-athletic-target-becomes-available/

Armand Gnanduillet has become available on a free? I know it seems pretty much stamped that we are getting Ronnie but if it fell through, would anyone fancy him coming in?

His record in a bang average Blackpool team is decent. 
    I would have him AND Schwartz. Ditch Bogle & then you have 4 strikers to rotate.
    Except with the wages cap you can't  legally do that without movement in first and then guaranteed movement out. Anyway why is Gnanduillet being heaved out ? Footballers seeking work all over the place at present so I can't see it as a voluntary move. 
    Blackpool mate of mine over summer when he heard we were in  said despite his goalscoring record, as a player he didn't rate him that highly and didn't think it would be a good signing. 
  • JFC has already taken courses to be a football scout
  • Will the uptick in covid cases have any repercussions on the transfer window? 

• Most likely nothing in it but this tweet has sent Grimsby fans into meltdown

• Most likely nothing in it but this tweet has sent Grimsby fans into meltdown
    Still don’t think he’s a terrible footballer. Definitely not above league one quality, but look dangerous when we first picked him up.

Sadly we can’t afford a striker that doesn’t score goals.
  • I think he may go! Strange thing to post if he wasn’t available, it’s not quite worked out here. I think with better options out there the club will listen to offers for him. 
  • And to think this time last year Mouthall was down BestOne stocking up on fizzy pop and e numbers!
  • edited December 2020
    Bogle is a striker that doesn’t create chances or score goals, he’s pretty good at holding the ball up but that’s not what we need. 

Hopefully he goes and we can use his wages on a loan.