Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• LTKapal said:
    https://the72.co.uk/211454/ex-cardiff-city-and-charlton-athletic-target-becomes-available/

Armand Gnanduillet has become available on a free? I know it seems pretty much stamped that we are getting Ronnie but if it fell through, would anyone fancy him coming in?

His record in a bang average Blackpool team is decent. 
    I would have him AND Schwartz. Ditch Bogle & then you have 4 strikers to rotate.
    Except with the wages cap you can't  legally do that without movement in first and then guaranteed movement out. Anyway why is Gnanduillet being heaved out ? Footballers seeking work all over the place at present so I can't see it as a voluntary move. 
    Blackpool mate of mine over summer when he heard we were in  said despite his goalscoring record, as a player he didn't rate him that highly and didn't think it would be a good signing. 
    When players suddenly have a purple scoring patch , is it because they've finally broken through OR is it just a one off golden period in their career?

Too often teams buy strikers after a great season which is never repeated again, Nicky Ajose being a prime example
  • Ben18 said:
    Wouldn’t read too much into that tweet. Grimsby have major off field issues at the moment, and assume these two represent some stability returning.

Bogle is a hero there, and more than likely just showing his support.
    Sadly I think the last sentence is true. 
  • Ben18 said:
    Wouldn’t read too much into that tweet. Grimsby have major off field issues at the moment, and assume these two represent some stability returning.

Bogle is a hero there, and more than likely just showing his support.
    Yeah Hurst was his Manager when they reached the Football League so cant see it being anything more than that

• Most likely nothing in it but this tweet has sent Grimsby fans into meltdown
    I’ll drive him there myself.....if he wears a face mask and sanitises his hands
    Then your car will be impounded by police and you will have to walk back.  
    Why do so many Charlton supporters like a scapegoat or two ?

Players talk and such malevolence could lead to players thinking that they don't  need such malevolent crap and go elsewhere. 

Because he isn’t very good! Not every player that pulls on the shirt is good, bogle is one! 
  • MattF said:
    Seeing as he's a free agent in the summer I don't know why clubs don't just wait & get him for nothing then......unless they are really desperate for a small player who doesn't score.
    They will get him for nothing now too if we want shot of him.
    Exactly a freebie for them & we lose his wages
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    iaitch said:
    If anyone ever felt that being a footballer in the lower leagues was glamorous,I think that image is truly extinguished.Players at this level earn not a lot more ,and in some cases less than the fans who watch them,they have little security and are moved around regularly rarely spending enough time at a club to get settled.We always have players coming to the end of their contracts,who dont know if they will get a new deal,players not been with clubs long who just have not clicked,and obviously fear losing their jobs,and being shunted off again.We have Aneke publicly stating his concern about his contract running out,Lapslie been here since a kid,now not wanted,we spent ages getting Ozi,now not wanted,Others in the squad who have not at present come good,that is just at Charlton.Digressed from the transfer rumours but needed to get this of my chest,wish we could be a little more tolerant to the guys on the pitch who are trying their best.
    Agree with the sentiment but the average League 2 player is on £2,200 a week to play football, I highly doubt even 1% of football fans get paid anywhere near that. 

Yes it’s tough to move city every couple of years but if you’re earning over £100,000 a year, every year, then it’s hardly a major problem. 
    I agree it’s more than most fans get, but most fans have a career longer than 10-15 years. 
    Can't footballers have another career after playing? Plenty of other people lose their jobs and are told to retrain themselves, why not footballers?
    They do.

Think of the 80% of professional footballers who've never played in the Prem ...... never had the big contracts/signing on fees to set them up for life.

Over the generations, England World Cup winning hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst sold insurance; Addicks striker 'King' Arthur Horsfield became a postman; and our legendary Wembley hero Clive Mendonca works on a production line in a Nissan car factory.

Richard Rufus even became a vicar!

Colin Walsh became a builder and then got a job for pwc as front of house, welcoming guests.
    john bumstead became a black cab driver 
    I think I read that Carl leaburn became a security guard
    steve jones became an eBay entrepreneur
    did derek hales run pubs?
    Graham Moore, Wales & Charlton, was our skipper of the legendary Firmani side 1968-69. He did.

And Charlie Wright, our keeper in the same side, ran his cafe in Greenwich.

Not forgetting, Len Glover, who got involved in nefarious activities and spent time as a guest of Her Maj.
    As did also, Mark Aizlewood, Wales & Charlton, our skipper in Lenny's promotion side to the top tier First Division, 1985-86.

Didn't know that Lenny Glover had been a bad boy, any details ?
  • Laddick01 said:

Most likely nothing in it but this tweet has sent Grimsby fans into meltdown
    Still don’t think he’s a terrible footballer. Definitely not above league one quality, but look dangerous when we first picked him up.

Sadly we can’t afford a striker that doesn’t score goals.
    Sorry non league standard

• Most likely nothing in it but this tweet has sent Grimsby fans into meltdown
    I’ll drive him there myself.....if he wears a face mask and sanitises his hands
    Then your car will be impounded by police and you will have to walk back.  
    Why do so many Charlton supporters like a scapegoat or two ?

Players talk and such malevolence could lead to players thinking that they don't  need such malevolent crap and go elsewhere. 

Lets hope he does, at this level he is hopeless. If we didn't have the cap or TS had come in a month earlier Bogle wouldn't have been anywhere near this club
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    iaitch said:
    If anyone ever felt that being a footballer in the lower leagues was glamorous,I think that image is truly extinguished.Players at this level earn not a lot more ,and in some cases less than the fans who watch them,they have little security and are moved around regularly rarely spending enough time at a club to get settled.We always have players coming to the end of their contracts,who dont know if they will get a new deal,players not been with clubs long who just have not clicked,and obviously fear losing their jobs,and being shunted off again.We have Aneke publicly stating his concern about his contract running out,Lapslie been here since a kid,now not wanted,we spent ages getting Ozi,now not wanted,Others in the squad who have not at present come good,that is just at Charlton.Digressed from the transfer rumours but needed to get this of my chest,wish we could be a little more tolerant to the guys on the pitch who are trying their best.
    Agree with the sentiment but the average League 2 player is on £2,200 a week to play football, I highly doubt even 1% of football fans get paid anywhere near that. 

Yes it’s tough to move city every couple of years but if you’re earning over £100,000 a year, every year, then it’s hardly a major problem. 
    I agree it’s more than most fans get, but most fans have a career longer than 10-15 years. 
    Can't footballers have another career after playing? Plenty of other people lose their jobs and are told to retrain themselves, why not footballers?
    They do.

Think of the 80% of professional footballers who've never played in the Prem ...... never had the big contracts/signing on fees to set them up for life.

Over the generations, England World Cup winning hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst sold insurance; Addicks striker 'King' Arthur Horsfield became a postman; and our legendary Wembley hero Clive Mendonca works on a production line in a Nissan car factory.

Richard Rufus even became a vicar!

Colin Walsh became a builder and then got a job for pwc as front of house, welcoming guests.
    john bumstead became a black cab driver 
    I think I read that Carl leaburn became a security guard
    steve jones became an eBay entrepreneur
    did derek hales run pubs?
    Graham Moore, Wales & Charlton, was our skipper of the legendary Firmani side 1968-69. He did.

And Charlie Wright, our keeper in the same side, ran his cafe in Greenwich.

Not forgetting, Len Glover, who got involved in nefarious activities and spent time as a guest of Her Maj.
    As did also, Mark Aizlewood, Wales & Charlton, our skipper in Lenny's promotion side to the top tier First Division, 1985-86.

Didn't know that Lenny Glover had been a bad boy, any details ?
    @LenGlover posts on here. Why not ask him?  :smile:

• DOUCHER said:
    we need schwarz plus 2 more pacy strikers - we don't need bogle or washington in any shape, form or status - they weaken the team being on the pitch as does jfc and oshelaja - if i were TS and wanted a way of bolstering the quality of the side, that is what i would be looking to do even though in normal circumstances, it would seem like chucking money away 
    Don’t see how you can slate bogle and Washington and leave Smyth out? What has Smyth done? Send him back too?
  • edited December 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Shouldn't we be asking why his club continue to refuse to play Ronnie. What has he done? 
    He's 31. His club now has a policy of rebuilding with younger players.

I listened to an interview with Lincoln boss. Their club was at a crossroads last season. Average age in the squad was 31. They've cut out all the dead wood and now have an average of '22'. Despite this youthfull team they have gone with hungry youngsters on loan from the Prem clubs to give them the quality, pace and fitness, that sits them top of the league. This wasn't an accident, it was the strategy. Maybe Bowyer, Gallen and Thomas, should take note.
  • fog horn said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    we need schwarz plus 2 more pacy strikers - we don't need bogle or washington in any shape, form or status - they weaken the team being on the pitch as does jfc and oshelaja - if i were TS and wanted a way of bolstering the quality of the side, that is what i would be looking to do even though in normal circumstances, it would seem like chucking money away 
    Don’t see how you can slate bogle and Washington and leave Smyth out? What has Smyth done? Send him back too?
    He is the only player we have at the moment with any pace.
    Washington is just as quick! He’s no slouch!
  • Oggy Red said:
    Bogle is a striker that doesn’t create chances or score goals, he’s pretty good at holding the ball up but that’s not what we need. 

Hopefully he goes and we can use his wages on a loan. 
    Apart from his 2 goals, he does create chances ....... Bogle's got 3 assists.

That only credits him with those chances he created that his team mates scored from, rather than the ones they missed!

That’s interesting, what games did he get an assist? I’ve had a look at this our previous games and I can’t point to any goal that he’s assisted, let alone 3. 

I think the issue with Bogle is that he’s not what we need and we’re not what he needs. If he was playing for a lesser league one team who built their team around him, I’m certain he’d score more goals. 

He was a last minute signing to pack out the squad and it hasn’t worked. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Bogle is a striker that doesn’t create chances or score goals, he’s pretty good at holding the ball up but that’s not what we need. 

That only credits him with those chances he created that his team mates scored from, rather than the ones they missed!

That’s interesting, what games did he get an assist? I’ve had a look at this our previous games and I can’t point to any goal that he’s assisted, let alone 3. 

I think the issue with Bogle is that he’s not what we need and we’re not what he needs. If he was playing for a lesser league one team who built their team around him, I’m certain he’d score more goals. 

Northampton away was one. Didn’t realise he had 2 more though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

FWIW Transfermarkt also has his down as only having 1 assist for us 
  • Oggy Red said:

Northampton away was one. Didn’t realise he had 2 more though. 
    Fair enough, I wasn’t sure if you could class that as an assist as he didn’t play the ball. I’m pretty sure it just hit him from 4 yards out and Pratley smashed in the ricochet. 

The salient point is that he’s not creating or scoring enough to warrant starting every week. I actually really like him as a person, a real gentle giant, but he’s just not good enough for what we want to achieve. 
  • cafc_se7 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i think smyth is a bit of a nearly man but he has pace and tries to take defenders on - i've seen enough of the other 2 to know they are not what we need 
  • cafc_se7 said:
    fog horn said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    He is the only player we have at the moment with any pace.
    Washington is just as quick! He’s no slouch!
    no chance
  • cafc_se7 said:
     People seem to forget that Karlan missed chance after chance after chance at this level 2 seasons ago! The miss at anfield the other night reminded me of the Shrewsbury away game where he missed about 10 of a similar sort!

Yes he did. He missed some sitters that day so we were willing him to slot the penalty and he did. At least my memory is telling me that, which doesn't amount to much nowadays.
  • It's tough for Levitt as Watson is undroppable, for one reason or another.

Osh unlikely to leave but unlikely to start.
  • https://the72.co.uk/211454/ex-cardiff-city-and-charlton-athletic-target-becomes-available/

Armand Gnanduillet has become available on a free? I know it seems pretty much stamped that we are getting Ronnie but if it fell through, would anyone fancy him coming in?

His record in a bang average Blackpool team is decent. 
    I would have him AND Schwartz. Ditch Bogle & then you have 4 strikers to rotate.
    Except with the wages cap you can't  legally do that without movement in first and then guaranteed movement out. Anyway why is Gnanduillet being heaved out ? Footballers seeking work all over the place at present so I can't see it as a voluntary move. 
    Funny place to go and play football in Turkey it seems. You either are massive success and stay for a few years or you dont hit the ground running and your contract is cancelled.
  • JFC has already taken courses to be a football scout
    Heard he’s going to run a team of scouts specializing in undiscovered overseas talents - Jake’s Football Conquistadors.

Yes I am still fogging this dead horse. 
    Can’t quite see where you’re coming from 😉.