Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• I find the whole Deji thing a bit puzzling , unless there's a quality CB arriving as soon as the window opens it leaves us very light.
  • I understand signing Schwartz because we need a striker. I understand swapping Levitt for an attacking player. I really don't understand why it looks like we're getting rid of Deji. We will clearly need to replace him, can we do better on 2k a week? Really not sure we can. 
    Completely agree. Seems a bit bizarre but surely he’s now got to be knocking on Bowyers door saying look, we have conceded X amount of goals and you’re playing a midfielder in my position, put me in...
  • Still have my fingers crossed for Liam Lindsey from Stoke. Loan with a option to buy to satisfy the cap and could play in the Championship.
  • edited December 2020
    I understand signing Schwartz because we need a striker. I understand swapping Levitt for an attacking player. I really don't understand why it looks like we're getting rid of Deji. We will clearly need to replace him, can we do better on 2k a week? Really not sure we can. 
    There are a lot of players who will have to accept 2k or not have a club. 

Deji isn't good enough to play and get us promoted. Pearce isn't either. They are both competent but if you want to avoid the lottery of the playoffs neither are good/outstanding at this level. Puts too much pressure on us to score goals at the other end. 
  • Could QPR recall Smyth? They are struggling for form at the moment and a lot of their fans were annoyed that he was let out on loan.
  • Redrobo said:
    Still have my fingers crossed for Liam Lindsey from Stoke. Loan with a option to buy to satisfy the cap and could play in the Championship.
    He was great for Barnsley but was awful for stoke last year. L1 must be his level but his wages are massive. I think he’ll end up lower end of the championship. 

I would love us to go for Liam delap from Man City. Looks strong and quick. 
  • Deji isn't very good at centre back. Better right back, he's not the answer to any of our problems at the moment. 
    I agree, would have been better signing another center back with Matthews wages. 
  • edited December 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Deji isn't very good at centre back. Better right back, he's not the answer to any of our problems at the moment. 
    I agree, would have been better signing another center back with Matthews wages. 

With wiredu  injured and no faith in Deji the Levitt loan slot would have been ideal to use as a young RB from a prem club and the Matthews wages for that solid 3rd CB. Potential to correct(?) that in Jan.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't recall one single person complaining when Matthews was signed because they could forsee both our CB's getting long term injuries.
    Actually I did say I didn't think we would sign Matthews. I wouldn't say I was disappointed because I rate Matthews, but with Wiredu and Deji probably being a better RB I would have signed someone who could play CB.
  • Chunes said:
    I understand signing Schwartz because we need a striker. I understand swapping Levitt for an attacking player. I really don't understand why it looks like we're getting rid of Deji. We will clearly need to replace him, can we do better on 2k a week? Really not sure we can. 
    There are a lot of players who will have to accept 2k or not have a club. 

Deji isn't good enough to play and get us promoted. Pearce isn't either. They are both competent but if you want to avoid the lottery of the playoffs neither are good/outstanding at this level. Puts too much pressure on us to score goals at the other end. 
    I don't think there is a player out there at the moment in that position, admittedly that will be the case in the summer. 

I actually make you right about Deji although he's not had much of a chance to show that in League 1. He wasn't good enough last season but why the hell did we sign him if he's not good enough to play in this league?
  • I don't recall one single person complaining when Matthews was signed because they could forsee both our CB's getting long term injuries.
    Actually I did say I didn't think we would sign Matthews. I wouldn't say I was disappointed because I rate Matthews, but with Wiredu and Deji probably being a better RB I would have signed someone who could play CB.
    Question:

What would Curbs have done ..... ? :smile:

• I think a CB ( or two) is essential now even more so than a striker in my view. 

Looking through all of the positions. 

GK I would like AMB to get a L2 loan. A short term deal for Rob Elliot would allow this.

Full Backs. No Right Back needed. Is Purrington injured? If not why was Matthews preferred?

Central Defenders. Liam Lindsay is my choice as a right sided option.Paul Downing is out of favour at Pompey. If Qpr recalled Smyth what about Conor Masterson?

Will we send Fanewo back? If so who is the left sider that Gallen is 'keeping sweet'?  Would there be a possibility that we could persuade Arsenal to pull Zach Medley from Gillingham? Joel Lynch remains unattached. 

Midfield John Bostock is a free agent, Josh McEacrean has just recovered from injury and is in his last six months at Brum. Could either of those come in under the cap? 

Up front it seems Schwartz will be coming in. I hope he has the desired impact?  Maybe Jack Clarke from Spurs would be an option as well? 
  • Richard J said:
    I think a CB ( or two) is essential now even more so than a striker in my view. 

Looking through all of the positions. 

GK I would like AMB to get a L2 loan. A short term deal for Rob Elliot would allow this.

Full Backs. No Right Back needed. Is Purrington injured? If not why was Matthews preferred?

Central Defenders. Liam Lindsay is my choice as a right sided option.Paul Downing is out of favour at Pompey. If Qpr recalled Smyth what about Conor Masterson?

Will we send Fanewo back? If so who is the left sider that Gallen is 'keeping sweet'?  Would there be a possibility that we could persuade Arsenal to pull Zach Medley from Gillingham? Joel Lynch remains unattached. 

Midfield John Bostock is a free agent, Josh McEacrean has just recovered from injury and is in his last six months at Brum. Could either of those come in under the cap? 

Up front it seems Schwartz will be coming in. I hope he has the desired impact?  Maybe Jack Clarke from Spurs would be an option as well? 
    Maynard-Brewer isnt touching the Salary Cap whereas Rob Elliot would so dont see that one happening

Didnt realise that Joel Lynch is still out of contract though!!
  • Have I missed something hasn't Bowyer said already it's going to be a difficult and quiet transfer window ,apart from maybe Schwartz coming in we are not going to make big transfers like what some lifers are saying or has he now gone back on that quote?
    It's what he said and it's what will happen.
    Personally I've not read anyone saying we'll be making big transfers.

My prediction is Schwartz, an U21 wide player, possibly an over 21 wide player and possibly a centre half of some description.
    It's likely as many will leave as come in.

• Sponsored links:

• If we paid up somebodies salary (made them redundant!), would that go towards the salary gap?
  • If we paid up somebodies salary (made them redundant!), would that go towards the salary gap?
    I understand that we could. 
    Yes
  • I think there's a lot of assumptions being made about Deji moving on. He's not got back in yet but it's worth remembering that he's been injured for pretty much the whole season up to this point, so I'm not massively shocked that Bowyer went with a match-fit Pratley over him. I think Bowyer likes having the experience of both Watson and Pratley on the pitch so it's not shocking that Pratley is carrying on there at the moment. I do think that we stand to benefit a lot more by getting some pace and goals into the squad if it has to be at his expense. Inniss and Famewo will be back, even if it's not for a while, and if we go up then there's really no place for Deji at Championship level. I also wouldn't have him at RB over Gunter or Matthews, nor do I ever trust him at CB where I see him as a lower half L1 player, so I wouldn't be devastated if we moved him on. Nothing's guaranteed though, I never would have expected Bowyer to repeatedly play him at LB either so it's hard to gauge just what Bowyer thinks of him sometimes.
  • Don't think it's nailed on Oshilaja will go, most players will go through periods of playing and not playing. I'm sure his time will come again here. 
    He will be gone, no question. 
  • who would take oshilaja? He is a slap bang average league 1 defender. I’m assuming there are slap bang average league 1 defenders who are currently unemployed and would take lower wages
  • Back to AFC Wimbledon maybe.
    He had a falling out when he was there. He stormed out of the ground when he wasn’t selected the car but had to sit in his car as he was blocked in by someone who was playing

He also liked some my dons tweets when he was afc captain. I doubt they would want him. 
    He had a falling out when he was there. He stormed out of the ground when he wasn’t selected the car but had to sit in his car as he was blocked in by someone who was playing

He also liked some my dons tweets when he was afc captain. I doubt they would want him. 
    Gillingham it is then.

Oh thats just awkward!!