Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    Everything hinges on what replacements we get in. No one can think that losing Williams and Maddison, with no further additions, is good business at this point of the season, surely?
    But neither have actually gone yet. And there's still time for more to sign. The window up til today for me was net positive (not by much, but still positive). The time to judge is once everything is done.
    Exactly, neither have gone yet and because of the salary cap one may have to before we can bring anyone else in!
  • Croydon said:
    Everything hinges on what replacements we get in. No one can think that losing Williams and Maddison, with no further additions, is good business at this point of the season, surely?
    I think you have to ask yourself how many games would Williams and Maddison play or contribute during the remainder of the season.
    Clearly Maddison would not be playing and Williams probably just bit parts.
    So hopefully some descent replacements but I don't think its crucial.   
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    What Bowyer said about Maddison is on public record. What Maddison has said about Bowyer isn't.
    Would you feel differently if you knew what Maddison had said was on public record?
    Well knowing both sides to an argument does change things. 

I might turn around as @Sage suggests and go "Oh okay if he's done that, that's completely unacceptable and I agree with Bowyer on this one"
    But thats why I dont know how people can criticise Lee when they only know half the story

Was no different when Chris Solly got vilified on here, people only had half the knowledge so he was the villain

Said it at the time, you cant go on Jury Service, hear one side of the story and then pass judgement.

I think there always has to be good reasons why a lot doesnt appear in the public domain
    Then people who know the whole story should say.
    It's probably not in the player or the club's interest to say much right now.
    These sort of things are an internal matter.

Though I should imagine, it will come out in the wash eventually.
    Until then formed opinions based on what we have seen will hold, rightly or wrongly. 

Can we have a game please so we can whinge/celebrate that!
    Hopefully, tomorrow, @Dazzler ....... I'll see what I can arrange. :smile:

• So far...

Lost out to Wycombe for Ofoborh
    Lost out to Wigan for Solomon-Otabor
    Couldn’t tempt Exeter with the Randall deal
    Missed out for whatever reason with Kirk
    Let go of Wiredu
    Trying to get rid of Williams
    Trying to get rid of Maddison
    Brought in a loanee from Arsenal

Same old Charlton.
    So far...
    Signed Millar who’s been our best player the last few weeks.
    Signed a championship striker on loan who is better than Bogle the one we got rid of.
    Tempted an Arsenal loanee away from a side who’s supporters say was their best player.
    Linked with several other players and still have time to sign them.

Agree with your first two points.

3rd point - didn't the Swindon manager want rid. 

4th point - trying to get players and not getting them is not a positive. If we sign someone now who is not those 3 then we know he is was at least 4th choice. 
    Point 3, I’m more making the point that Swindon fans loved him and are gutted he’s gone.

Point 4, with respect, we don’t know that.  What’s to say they didn’t see newly owned transfer hungry charlton come along ate chance their luck with silly fees/wages.  Could be that bowyer wanted someone better within the price range, many other variables here.
  • edited February 2021
    Macronate said:
    Sod this for a game of soldiers.

If we’re not buying anyone on this thread, I’m going to the ‘Buying a puppy’ thread to see if there’s any updates on there.
    Give mouthalls tart a call, she was selling both of hers.
  • Sponsored links:

• There's obviously more to it than meets the eye, but Maddison going to Bolton is the equivalent of my Sunday league team who had a ringer who was on the books at Palace
  • It's all going tits up ain't it?
  • edited February 2021
    Sage said:
    Anyone who blames Bowyer for Maddison leaving and not being successful whilst here is fully entitled to your own opinion. However, it’s incredibly difficult to form any kind of opinion when you just don’t understand what has happened behind the scenes.

If and when the story comes out, everyone who has sided with Maddison will wonder what was going through their mind to question the decisions Bowyer makes.

I am not in a position to put a public forum the situation. But what I will say is Maddison does not want to be here anymore and is not committed to the cause. When that is the case, it’s best to get rid. No matter how talented that individual may be with a football at their feet.

I am with Bowyer 100% and all I can say is, good riddance. 
    It's odds on that Maddison feigned injury, when that excuse ran out, he feigned illness and when that ran out he said he'd been close to someone with Covid. He doesn't want to play for Charlton and Bowyer doesn't want this disruptive bad apple.
    The best solution is to get rid asap to any other poor saps that will take him (only lower L2 it looks like).
    According to the News story those incidents seemed to happen in reverse. 

1. ill
    2. Told to isolate after being near someone with covid
    3. Ankle injury that Bowyer didn't care about. 

Maybe he didn't care because Maddison wasn't really injured... Maybe he really was...

I'm going to stop talking about MM and JW now unless they go and we don't replace them. 
  • Not sure how anyone can comment on how fair a chance Maddison (or anyone else) has had without seeing the work put in on the training ground. We heard after the restart last year that Williams was not getting into the squad because he hadn't been training well at that point
  • Will MM be the first to leave that Bowyer can't claim 'we have improved them'?

He said he would improve Bogle and got him a move up the league by a few places. Not wrong is he..... 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Redrobo said:
    So far...

Let go of Wiredu

Same old Charlton.
    New Charlton. You forgot the players we have signed this window. All an upgrade IMO.
    All over 30 or on loan.......... You can see why some glasses aren't as rose tinted as yours.

Bowyer could probably play Amos on the left wing and you would claim it was a revolutionary master stroke. 

WHEN we start winning games regularly and WHEN we start actually rebuilding the squad properly more people will start being positive.  When not if. It will happen. 

Until we actually do it it's just noise isn't it?

Roland nearly signed Max Gradel and Southall tried to sign Toney (if you believed either of them, more fool you) at the moment Thomas nearly signed some blokes from Crewe and Exeter that half of us had never heard of.

Bowyer said if he signs the players he wanted we would get in the play offs. According to Lee we did, now 3 months later he has got rid of 4 of them.

I'm terms of what has happened, so far, it is same old same old, just with better PR?

Of course I am greatful that Thomas saved us and fully aware that six months ago we nearly didn't have a club but surely, even if you don't agree, you can see where people are coming from. 
  • Maybe its best to get rid of Maddison, but that begs the question why sign him in the first place? Excuse me for thinking its not cracking business signing a player and shipping him after 4 months.
    We had been after Maddison in January, so it's not as if he was a relative unknown to Bowyer and Gallen that we had to take a punt on  due to lack of options in the time remaining (which is a reasonable excuse for Bogle)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    So far...

Let go of Wiredu

Same old Charlton.
    New Charlton. You forgot the players we have signed this window. All an upgrade IMO.
    All over 30 or on loan.......... 
    ......and?
  • edited February 2021
    My understanding is a big chunk of his squad dislike him. This can happen in football, and it isn't always necessary to be liked as long as you are respected, but a manager who is always right, never apologises and blames others when things go wrong generally finds it hard to change that dynamic. 
    Williams disliked Bowyer so much he chose to trigger an extension.
    Maddison too signed a contract.
    I think it's probably mutual by now.

I've managed hundreds of people in my working life and I always found the good workers and I got on really well.
    The staff I had to pull up for poor performance or pretending to be sick weren't in my fan club and neither was I in there.

Managers are paid to manage, if your team aren't performing then you address it.
    Shape up or ship out.
    So have I and I pride myself how I managed to turn around the careers of people who were not considered to be any good. I was used to bring failing teams up and I always did it bringing staff along with me. It is harder to do that with failing teams and it takes time and trust. In grass roots football I turned a second from bottom team at the mid point of the season that was playing 3 divisions lower the previous season to finish third and win the cup. So we both have experience of management.

I am not trying to say I must be right about Bowyer because I have successfully managed staff in totally different scenarios. But you seem to be so I'd thought I'd counter that with my own experience.

Sage is not sharing what he knows. I am sure he knows something that might not shed the best light on Maddison. I don't doubt that. But I do know what Bowyer publicly said about him and it was damning.

I also know of a couple of players, one experienced, one young who are not happy with Bowyer's management and behaviours this season and have spoken out privately about them. I have discussed privately with other posters and we agreed it was not helpful to name them. It isn't but there are two sides to this coin and it is important to know that.