Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    What Bowyer said about Maddison is on public record. What Maddison has said about Bowyer isn't.
    Would you feel differently if you knew what Maddison had said was on public record?
    Well knowing both sides to an argument does change things. 

I might turn around as @Sage suggests and go "Oh okay if he's done that, that's completely unacceptable and I agree with Bowyer on this one"
    But thats why I dont know how people can criticise Lee when they only know half the story

Was no different when Chris Solly got vilified on here, people only had half the knowledge so he was the villain

Said it at the time, you cant go on Jury Service, hear one side of the story and then pass judgement.

I think there always has to be good reasons why a lot doesnt appear in the public domain
    Then people who know the whole story should say.
  • mart77 said:
    The battle scars left on fans after the Roly/ESI years are very evident on this thread. Firmly believe we are starting our ascent back to being a properly run club. I’m hopeful for two more in and fully believe Bows and SG are going all out to get things done. I’m filled with excitement and not dread!
    Yup, which is understandable too when you think how long we’ve had a proper full transfer window without ESI or Roland. Been a very long time to experience something which should be normal for every club in the country twice a year. 
  • Seeing a lot of panic on the social media platforms. I am personally saving my panicking for later and I've got fresh sheets at the ready, always best to be prepared for deadline day
    My order's arrived from Amazon - in the nick of time.

It's Transfer Deadline Day and in just a few hours the window slams shut.
    Everybody on here is going to be stressed out.

But you do look very relaxed in the photo, @Callum.     :smile:

• Not bothered about Maddison going in the slightest. Not even bothered if Williams departs as long as we can land a decent replacement. Neither of them have lived up to their full potential since coming to Charlton.

We need CB’s. End of 
  • AndyG said:
    Calm down all plenty of time left 🙄 lots of twists and turns yet to come over the next 5 hours. Let's see what happens before the meltdown
    More twists & turns than a twisty turny thing...?
    Yes Baldrick 
  • edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    What Bowyer said about Maddison is on public record. What Maddison has said about Bowyer isn't.
    Would you feel differently if you knew what Maddison had said was on public record?

I might turn around as @Sage suggests and go "Oh okay if he's done that, that's completely unacceptable and I agree with Bowyer on this one"
    But thats why I dont know how people can criticise Lee when they only know half the story

Was no different when Chris Solly got vilified on here, people only had half the knowledge so he was the villain

Said it at the time, you cant go on Jury Service, hear one side of the story and then pass judgement.

I think there always has to be good reasons why a lot doesnt appear in the public domain
    If you have half the story you will form an opinion rightly or wrongly. More often than not it will be biased. 

If you have none of it you cannot and as such we'd form assumptions as to what happened, which is wrong but is what always used to happen.  

If you have both sides you're a lot more likely to form a fair opinion. So if one side comes out, the best solution to stop that happening is to let people know the full story.

See Johnny Depp and Amber Heard.

At first it was "oh my god Johnny Depp did that? I can see why the movie deals were pulled"

Then it was "oh my god she did what? that's disgusting, she should lose her movie deals too"

Now it's "they're both bad for one another and have both been very in the wrong him for x her for y, they're better off apart"

I cannot believe I have just used that as an argument, but it's there and I hate it.  I want to know that my judgment is wrong when it is. 
  • So far...

Lost out to Wycombe for Ofoborh
    Lost out to Wigan for Solomon-Otabor
    Couldn’t tempt Exeter with the Randall deal
    Missed out for whatever reason with Kirk
    Let go of Wiredu
    Trying to get rid of Williams
    Trying to get rid of Maddison
    Brought in a loanee from Arsenal

Same old Charlton.
    So far...
    Signed Millar who’s been our best player the last few weeks.
    Signed a championship striker on loan who is better than Bogle the one we got rid of.
    Tempted an Arsenal loanee away from a side who’s supporters say was their best player.
    Linked with several other players and still have time to sign them.

Agree with your first two points.

3rd point - didn't the Swindon manager want rid. 

4th point - trying to get players and not getting them is not a positive. If we sign someone now who is not those 3 then we know he is was at least 4th choice. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Well then thats their right to tell or not ... Not mine to say it on their behalf

Wasnt there a comment about Dr Kish who knew about Coquelin (?) being recalled by Arsenal, didnt want his source at Sparrows Lane to get in trouble for passing on what was confidential information so "leaked" it to some Arsenal fan so they could report it as their own news.
  • Dazzler21 said:

It's probably not in the player or the club's interest to say much right now.
    These sort of things are an internal matter.

Though I should imagine, it will come out in the wash eventually.

• Dazzler21 said:

Well then thats their right to tell or not ... Not mine to say it on their behalf

Wasnt there a comment about Dr Kish who knew about Coquelin (?) being recalled by Arsenal, didnt want his source at Sparrows Lane to get in trouble for passing on what was confidential information so "leaked" it to some Arsenal fan so they could report it as their own news.
    Yes. 

Chris Thompson was more interested in getting the information to everyone than score a cheap exclusive. 
  • Croydon said:
    Everything hinges on what replacements we get in. No one can think that losing Williams and Maddison, with no further additions, is good business at this point of the season, surely?
    But neither have actually gone yet. And there's still time for more to sign. The window up til today for me was net positive (not by much, but still positive). The time to judge is once everything is done.
  • Dizzle said:
    I’ve just sent the missus out for custard, should I call and tell her not to bother?
    I’m not sure the custards gonna make it out of the cupboard mate.!!! Was thinking of warming mine a little aswell🤞🤞
  • Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It's probably not in the player or the club's interest to say much right now.
    These sort of things are an internal matter.

Though I should imagine, it will come out in the wash eventually.
    Until then formed opinions based on what we have seen will hold, rightly or wrongly. 

Can we have a game please so we can whinge/celebrate that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Everything hinges on what replacements we get in. No one can think that losing Williams and Maddison, with no further additions, is good business at this point of the season, surely?
    Agreed it would likely be bad business. As you said it depends on if there are replacements.

So let’s wait until the end of the day before casting our assertions.

I just see the point in being riled up before everything is concluded 
  • So far...

Let go of Wiredu

Same old Charlton.
    So far...
    Signed a championship striker on loan who is better than Bogle the one we got rid of.
    Tempted an Arsenal loanee away from a side who’s supporters say was their best player.

This is the key part for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy with the rest of the window. But if Maddison and Williams leave and we don’t bring anyone else in, it just seems like every other transfer deadline day.
  • Richard J said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Yes. 

Chris Thompson was more interested in getting the information to everyone than score a cheap exclusive. 
    Exactly... I've been given plenty of information in the past by Lifers on here (I've never asked for it), but dont think much of what they've told me in confidence has been bullshit but they've always asked me to keep it to myself - Thats understandable as guess in turn they equally dont want their own sources to lose trust in them, hence why those who occasionally know the whole story wont be eager to spill the beans
  • So far...

Let go of Wiredu

Same old Charlton.
    So far...

Agree with your first two points.

3rd point - didn't the Swindon manager want rid. 

4th point - trying to get players and not getting them is not a positive. If we sign someone now who is not those 3 then we know he is was at least 4th choice. 
    The Swindon fans regarded Smith as their best player. It was their recent new manager who came in and decided Smith didn't fit his new gameplan.

Although as regards to other potential signings, clubs are always reluctant to lose their best player on the last day of the transfer window.
    They've little time to sign a replacement.

Lord knows, over the years it's happened to us enough times.

• What Bowyer said about Maddison is on public record. What Maddison has said about Bowyer isn't.
     What Bowyer said shouldn't have been in the public domain or even in the dressing room. That was poor management. 

Maddison has not done the same.  I think I would  have.
    I'm sure you would have! :smile:

• Not bothered about Maddison going in the slightest. Not even bothered if Williams departs as long as we can land a decent replacement. Neither of them have lived up to their full potential since coming to Charlton.

We need CB’s. End of 
    Bowyer said today that we are NOT looking at bringing in any Centre Backs. None. There are non available & we have enough / sufficient replacements already.
  • edited February 2021
    Weird that we haven't heard that either have gone, so am left to assume that the SMT for once are playing this clever and are insisting we must be able to replace before we release. Basically agreeing providing we can get in whatever replacement/s.

If Kirk is announced I'll still be disappointed, but I'll understand it. In form creative & physical youngster for two more experienced but less physical players.

That'd be a good deal and fit with our need for creativity and physicality. 

(Please don't think I am blindly defending just Maddison - despite my feelings that Bowyer has treated Maddison and Williams appallingly in the press - It is a case of what I have seen has me concerned and people simply won't share the truth)

We need CB’s. End of 
    Bowyer said today that we are NOT looking at bringing in any Centre Backs. None. There are non available & we have enough / sufficient replacements already.
    Its a shame we're League One as was never going to happen, not to mention the links and location of the clubs they've gone to

But Harwood-Bellis (Man City > Blackburn) | Mengi (Man Utd > Derby) would have been great loan signings in defence