Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    So far...

Lost out to Wycombe for Ofoborh
    Lost out to Wigan for Solomon-Otabor
    Couldn’t tempt Exeter with the Randall deal
    Missed out for whatever reason with Kirk
    Let go of Wiredu
    Trying to get rid of Williams
    Trying to get rid of Maddison
    Brought in a loanee from Arsenal

Same old Charlton.
    New Charlton. You forgot the players we have signed this window. All an upgrade IMO.
    All over 30 or on loan.......... 
    ......and?
    Because if its a "new Charlton" we might actually want some of the players here next season?

Which is exactly what has happened the last few, actually many, seasons.  If you bothered quoting/reading the rest of my comment you might actually understand that.

Every signing we have made since Thomas took over has been with the intention of getting promoted this season.  You can't get over that fact.  Or do you think Bowyer is going to improve Gunter and Watson so they rip league 1 a new one next season?

You can't use the argument it's a long term project to justify older players and short term loans? 
  • Gone a bit quiet rumours wise, suppose that could be a good thing? 
  • edited February 2021
    I will repeat an earlier post. Williams  - 7 starts, 18 points this season. MOTM performance, then dropped!
    Team stats are the worst marker for individual performance. There are 21 other players on the pitch, two managers, three officials and God knows how many other factors, like who's in form, injuries, whose wife told them they want a divorce that morning, who got a penalty, who got sent off. It's not an accurate use of stats to post that like Williams was the defining factor. Or any player. 
  • Got a feeling this is just the beginning for a large part of the squad

Maddison especially going to Bolton will be a big message to the players that remain

Perform and represent the club to the standards we expect or we'll shed no tears about getting rid of you in the summer
    Or to look at an alternative

Outgoings /possible outgoings in the window:

Bogle Nowhere near good enough but has suffered from Bowyers put downs in the media when Bowyer must have known what he was getting when he signed him.

Smyth Recalled by QPR

Doughty Refused a new contract

Maddison Criticised by Bowyer in the media the worst being "I don't care if he's seriously injured" 

Williams Criticised by Bowyer in the media (praised as well at times) Rarely picked even when we're crying out for creativity & even as a sub when he's played well straight back on the bench next game. Wants to go to Cardiff

Last year
    M.Bonne Brought from Non league, leading scorer for us in Championship but still criticised by Bowyer in the media.

Maybe some players aren't playing for him & can't wait to get out, possibly his man management skills leave a lot to be desired. Criticise players when needed but do it behind closed doors not on sky sports /newspapers. 
    So what are you getting at? In an ideal world what would you do? And let’s be frank who would you bring in to replace Bow?
  • Croydon said:
    Everything hinges on what replacements we get in. No one can think that losing Williams and Maddison, with no further additions, is good business at this point of the season, surely?
    I think you have to ask yourself how many games would Williams and Maddison play or contribute during the remainder of the season.
    Clearly Maddison would not be playing and Williams probably just bit parts.
    So hopefully some descent replacements but I don't think its crucial.   
    With our injury record, bodies in the building is absolutely vital.
  • What's happening?.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    What Bowyer said about Maddison is on public record. What Maddison has said about Bowyer isn't.
    Would you feel differently if you knew what Maddison had said was on public record?
    Well knowing both sides to an argument does change things. 

I might turn around as @Sage suggests and go "Oh okay if he's done that, that's completely unacceptable and I agree with Bowyer on this one"
    But thats why I dont know how people can criticise Lee when they only know half the story

Was no different when Chris Solly got vilified on here, people only had half the knowledge so he was the villain

Said it at the time, you cant go on Jury Service, hear one side of the story and then pass judgement.

I think there always has to be good reasons why a lot doesnt appear in the public domain
    Then people who know the whole story should say.
    Why?
    Should we put all your work history problems in the public domain?
    To be fair there was a massive thread about his love life 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • It is more than possible the relationship has broken down and Maddison has not dealt with that maturely. He was always somebody who we thought needed to be managed. A bit similar to Curbs bringing DiCanio in (no comparison ability wise of course). But some players need more management than others. Obviously that extra effort needs to be worth its while.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Got a feeling this is just the beginning for a large part of the squad

Maddison especially going to Bolton will be a big message to the players that remain

Perform and represent the club to the standards we expect or we'll shed no tears about getting rid of you in the summer

Bogle Nowhere near good enough but has suffered from Bowyers put downs in the media when Bowyer must have known what he was getting when he signed him.

Smyth Recalled by QPR

Maddison Criticised by Bowyer in the media the worst being "I don't care if he's seriously injured" 

Williams Criticised by Bowyer in the media (praised as well at times) Rarely picked even when we're crying out for creativity & even as a sub when he's played well straight back on the bench next game. Wants to go to Cardiff

Last year
    M.Bonne Brought from Non league, leading scorer for us in Championship but still criticised by Bowyer in the media.

Maybe some players aren't playing for him & can't wait to get out, possibly his man management skills leave a lot to be desired. Criticise players when needed but do it behind closed doors not on sky sports /newspapers. 
    Bonne has gone on to do approximately fuck all in the championship so let's not pretend one swallow makes a summer there. He had a good season, he's not necessarily a good player - certainly not at Champ level yet.

Bogle was treated poorly but even so was pretty poor. Chicken/Egg at best with that.

Doughty refused to sign a contract. Was played nonetheless until injury, ended up making more on him than we would have if he'd waited to sod off to Scotland season's end.

Williams looks good but does not have any actual creativity. His goals/assists per game is poor. Nice guy but not actually bringing much to the table.

Maddison... We've heard a lot about. But at the very worst it sounds as if he has been just as much the sinner as the sinned against.

Bowyer definitely has made mistakes but not everything that goes wrong is just because "bAd MaNaGeMeNt." 

The list also completely ignored the fact players have come IN as well.
  • We have to accept that Bowyer’s public criticisms are part of his make up. He is too emotional after a game and although it does seem he has toned it down it may reappear when particularly frustrated.

Football clubs are full of egos, strong  personalities and people who have been told how wonderful they are for many years. Changing rooms and training grounds will see verbal and physical fall outs regularly. Even the best managers get it wrong. All managers will fall out with players over time and actually I’m quite glad to see that if certain players don’t reach the standards he sets, not just on the pitch but off the pitch aswell then he will act.

He’ll be inconsistent like we all are and of course he will have his favourites. That’s human nature. If Maddison had done some pretty terrible things that some are alluding to on here then maybe the other players are glad Bowyer spoke out against him and is looking to pack him off to Bolton. Of course we won’t find out what the issue is from the club. We gave Maddison a go and it hasn’t worked. 

Bowyer and his staff see these players pretty much every day. We see them for a couple of hours a week on a pitch. So much more goes on than we see. So we speculate and decide for ourselves what might have happened. Chances are we will be pretty wide of the mark.

I also know that the fantastic man manager Chris Powell fell out with certain players. Refused to budge on those who didn’t reach his standards. Isolated others. Moved on those who were a negative influence. 

We’ve had a decent window. It won’t satisfy everyone but transfers on deadline day are notoriously tricky. Let’s see where we are when it closes.

• Maddison prefers that big fish small pond, the big I am feeling. He outgrew Peterborough, didn't do well at Hulll, never fitted in as a player at Charlton. He was a gamble and we are cutting our losses. 

I wish him well if he moves on as no doubt he will storm league 2.
  • thenewbie said:

Smyth Recalled by QPR

Last year

Bonne has gone on to do approximately fuck all in the championship so let's not pretend one swallow makes a summer there. He had a good season, he's not necessarily a good player - certainly not at Champ level yet.

Bogle was treated poorly but even so was pretty poor. Chicken/Egg at best with that.

Doughty refused to sign a contract. Was played nonetheless until injury, ended up making more on him than we would have if he'd waited to sod off to Scotland season's end.

Williams looks good but does not have any actual creativity. His goals/assists per game is poor. Nice guy but not actually bringing much to the table.

Maddison... We've heard a lot about. But at the very worst it sounds as if he has been just as much the sinner as the sinned against.

Bowyer definitely has made mistakes but not everything that goes wrong is just because "bAd MaNaGeMeNt"
    True, but some of it has to be. And we know much more than should. 
  • cafc_se7 said:

Smyth Recalled by QPR

Last year

So what are you getting at? In an ideal world what would you do? And let’s be frank who would you bring in to replace Bow?
    He didn't call for Bowyer's job, just to criticise behind closed doors. Imagine working for a big multinational and you do something wrong and it gets sent out to the whole organisation and investors etc... It'd be called bullying as you wouldn't be allowed to challenge it and if you were, you'd be told where the door is. 

FWIW I don't want Bowyer gone either, despite many people's views. I have seen a positive turn of late and hopefully that is down to Bowyer's actions. He cannot and should not be beyond criticism though. He is an employee of the club and should be treated as fairly as the players are. 

Managers and players careers thrive or burn based upon how they conduct themselves. If Bowyer shows he is learning (as it has seemed lately) then of course he continues to get support. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    cafc_se7 said:

Smyth Recalled by QPR

Last year

He didn't call for Bowyer's job, just to criticise behind closed doors. Imagine working for a big multinational and you do something wrong and it gets sent out to the whole organisation and investors etc... It'd be called bullying as you wouldn't be allowed to challenge it and if you were, you'd be told where the door is. 

FWIW I don't want Bowyer gone either, despite many people's views. I have seen a positive turn of late and hopefully that is down to Bowyer's actions. He cannot and should not be beyond criticism though. He is an employee of the club and should be treated as fairly as the players are. 

Managers and players careers thrive or burn based upon how they conduct themselves. If Bowyer shows he is learning (as it has seemed lately) then of course he continues to get support. 
    I agree there has been a positive change recently. I just can't believe how people haven't spotted the wrongdoings, some even calling them as positives!
  • cabbles said:
    I think Williams is committed and puts a shift in, he just doesn’t necessarily do it in a Bowyer way.  The game the other week at home to Swindon, he threw himself to win a header in the first half in their box.  He commits by getting his legs chopped when he gets tackled.  He’s never going to get stuck in, but I don’t think his commitment can be questioned 
    He's even scored two this season following Bowyer's orders to follow into the box.
  • Sponsored links:

• Because I want people to share in my despair and hope for anything!!

F5 Gif
  • I remember thinking that the Maddison injury was one of the strangest I've seen. He was standing still and then all of a sudden writhing on the floor. Makes sense now. 

I’m assuming cafclad is a Crewe supporter and the 7pm announcement will be by boreham wood who can offer more in wages following their winger going to Huddersfield 
    Maybe it will tie in with the Williams announcement. 
  • What's happening?.
    Usual friendly banter on who should go, who wasn’t managed properly, who was a disruptive influence, who we’ve failed to sign, nothing much really look in again at 11.00pm for a full update 😉
  • edited February 2021
    We knew and have been warned about Maddison but took the gamble. 

In my opinion it comes down to Bowyer's preference he doesn't really like creative midfielders who play in between the lines given a free role. He wants midfielders to be box to box more disciplined in terms stick to a position and do defensive work. 

That's why Fosu got moved on, Oztumer hasn't settled and Williams hasn't got regular game time.

I do feel sorry for Williams as I feel he would of succeeded more if stuck in that number 10 position in a diamond and giving a free role and could play to his strengths of running at defenders but he is played in number of different positions and usually comes on off the bench in a game that is long ball and scrappy. 

Obviously this season it looks like we want to play with a target man and wingers/inside forwards. 

Now we have lost Smyth and Doughty as wide outlets and got Millar who is a quality addition but leaves us short out wide if Maddison goes, probably expect Washington to be seen more right wing. 

Stockley for Bogle was more of a upgrade. 

A question being is with Smith signing having 7 centre mids and finding the right combination and who plays what role, getting that balance right. Also since that we choose not to get another centre half when all 4 of ours have had injuries recently and could be left short again.

I'm slightly disappointed that we have moved on academy graduates like Wiredu and Lapslie who could feature more in the squad and develop if given more game time to keep rotating loan signings or short term older players who all won't be here next season. 

I’m assuming cafclad is a Crewe supporter and the 7pm announcement will be by boreham wood who can offer more in wages following their winger going to Huddersfield 
    Nah he's from Dartford

He’s followed by JJ so maybe, just maybe... #daretodream 😉
  • Dazzler21 said:
    cafc_se7 said:

Smyth Recalled by QPR

Last year

He will learn! He is still a young, raw manager... the players mentioned have been professionals long enough to have made their mark and they have but for all the wrong reasons! I think in all cases mentioned, Bow is not to blame for this (apart from maybe handling situations more professionally granted). 

• makes sense that cafc will want to tie in JW departure with a replacement - let's hope so