Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Kirk sounds like future captain material

Conor Gallagher plays well for Charlton (He was excellent TBF) in the Championship and he is then going to be a future England Captain !  Watch him for WBA and his main trick is getting in the box and falling over.
    Could also say that’s the argument for Gallagher should have had another year on loan in the championship, rather than head in to a premier league relegation fight. 
  • So apart from Wiredu...

1. Who are we expecting to depart before tonight
    2. Who do you have a sneaky feeling might depart by tonight
    1 Williams
    2 Gilbey out on loan somewhere maybe

I think Williams, Wiredu, Oztumer and possibly Maddison could leave

I hope that Smith will be joined by Kirk and a young version of Pratley. I really think we’re moving towards seeing next seasons squad, whatever league we’re in. 

1 Williams
    2 Gilbey out on loan somewhere maybe
    I’d forgotten about Gilbey 🙈
  • I can see Albie going out on loan. They tried earlier in the season and there's no way we need this many midfielders. 
  • esseffect said:
    What centre back would want to sign for us in the bases of being 4th/5th choice? 
    One that’s better than at least 3 of the others
    On less that £2,500? 
  • There are some wild predictions/ideas on this thread that’s all I’ll say.
  • Sponsored links:

• I make Bowyer right, no point signing a player for the sake of it. 

I think Gunter and Pratley can do a job if the other 4 are not available and would actually put Pearce 6th choice. 

Everyone highlights an issue at centre back because of the goals conceded and I agree to a degree but a big part of the problem is in front of that. It is the midfield have in the past been very poor and caused a big part of the defence issues. At times during the bad ran the midfield lacked energy and bite, lost possession so easily was overrun and provided no outlet. This was helping invite pressure onto the defence. 

I think more energy in midfield and players that can keep possession, Milar carrying the ball and Stockley holding the ball up will help us massively just as much the return of the two first choice CB. 

Can't help but attribute that to our best CDM not being there because he is too busy at centre half though
  • I make Bowyer right, no point signing a player for the sake of it. 

I think Gunter and Pratley can do a job if the other 4 are not available and would actually put Pearce 6th choice. 

Everyone highlights an issue at centre back because of the goals conceded and I agree to a degree but a big part of the problem is in front of that. It is the midfield have in the past been very poor and caused a big part of the defence issues. At times during the bad ran the midfield lacked energy and bite, lost possession so easily was overrun and provided no outlet. This was helping invite pressure onto the defence. 

I think more energy in midfield and players that can keep possession, Milar carrying the ball and Stockley holding the ball up will help us massively just as much the return of the two first choice CB. 

Can't help but attribute that to our best CDM not being there because he is too busy at centre half though
     Yes agree we did miss Pratley protecting and is a part of it but not all, he is not going to keep hold of positions or run with the ball to give rest bite. 

Separate conversation but a team looking to be going up from League one should not be relaying on Pratley and he should be used for certain games. 

Conor Gallagher plays well for Charlton (He was excellent TBF) in the Championship and he is then going to be a future England Captain !  Watch him for WBA and his main trick is getting in the box and falling over.
    Could also say that’s the argument for Gallagher should have had another year on loan in the championship, rather than head in to a premier league relegation fight. 

Ok then.
    In my opinion, Conor Gallagher should have gone back to Swansea, similar to Freddy Woodman the keeper did, where he could have helped the Swans get automatic promotion.

At this stage of Conor's career playing for Cooper at Swansea with a licence to thrill would be more beneficial than playing for Big Sam's WBA and chasing shadows.
  • If there is any truth in Maddison departing, I don’t think it’s a bad thing.  He’s clearly not going to work under Bowyer, and he’s a had wretched year which looks like it’s on a downward spiral.  I have nothing against him personally.  I was very excited when he signed and really hoped he’d rediscover the form he showed with Peterborough.

I think being moved on might not be a bad idea for both parties.  I liked the way Bogle was moved on quickly as it shows that Bowyer is thinking pragmatically.  It’s rare you see a turnaround that quickly.  The same could be good for both us and Maddison.  Cutting your losses can be better than holding and hoping.  I caveat this on us bringing an attacking midfielder in as a replacement though 
  • ButtleJR said:
    I'm hoping we don't loan Albie out, been good this season. Imo Gilbey should be next out. 

Agree, I think Albie has made massive steps forward and deserves more game time. 
    That would be one unpopular decision. Can imagine Bowyer would have huge backlash if that happened.

Ok then.
    In my opinion, Conor Gallagher should have gone back to Swansea, similar to Freddy Woodman the keeper did, where he could have helped the Swans get automatic promotion.

At this stage of Conor's career playing for Cooper at Swansea with a licence to thrill would be more beneficial than playing for Big Sam's WBA and chasing shadows.
    Completely agree with you. Think it was a poor move for Gallagher to go West Brom. 
  • Any sign of a centre back? Our defence has been costing us for months on end now and a couple of recent clean sheets doesn't mean it's still not going to be a problem. We've conceded 10 more goals compared to the current top 6.
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    There are some wild predictions/ideas on this thread that’s all I’ll say.

The funniest idea was Billy Gilmour to Cafc.

Swansea would be a great move for the lad and the Welsh club. 
  • esseffect said:
    esseffect said:
    What centre back would want to sign for us in the bases of being 4th/5th choice? 
    One that’s better than at least 3 of the others
    On less that £2,500? 
    We managed it with innis 
  • edited February 2021
    RC_CAFC said:
    So so so many midfielders. Tempted to send Shinnie back just so we can have all 5 loans at once
    You are joking aren't you? He is our best one. I still reckon we may see him sign on a permanent today.
    Agree he’s one of the best we’ve got but clearly Bowyer thinks our current crop aren’t good enough as is. Before the window opened we were already stacked in midfield, we’ve only added to that. 

We’ve now got 6 loans and all 6 are probably starting 11 players. I don’t think we’ll make Shinnie permanent unless Luton pay him off and he’s happy to take a massive pay cut.
  • Chunes said:
    I can see Albie going out on loan. They tried earlier in the season and there's no way we need this many midfielders. 
    Surely not.
  • I do think we'll be working hard on loaning Gilbey out. 
  • edited February 2021
    I see no big problem with having that many CM with congested fixtures, you can use 5 subs and the fact we sometimes play a diamond anyway. 

My slight concern is that it may confuse bowyers best starting XI slightly, and rotation doesn’t always work. We aren’t Man City and Lee isn’t Pep.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Gilbey has been the most disappointing player this season for me. Pony. 
    Not his fault he was injured for a dozen games or so. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Gilbey has been the most disappointing player this season for me. Pony. 
    On his first game back from injury, when coming on as a sub, he had an easyish (routine training ground) shot with just the goalie to beat from 15 yards. He rolled it to the goalie and I remember thinking, corr give him a few games and he will be belting these in!