Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• For what it's worth I do think Maddison has been overlooked by Championship managers. I'm not speculating on whether that's due to his character (which it may be), but on the pitch he impacts games more than Williams does.

Here's Williams performance in the championship

11/12 - 14 apps, G:0, A:2
    12/13 - 29 apps, G:0, A:1
    13/14 - 13 apps, G:1, A:1
    14/15 - 7 apps, G:1, A:0
    15/16 - 10 apps, G:0, A:0
    16/17 - 8 apps, G:0, A:0
    17/18 - 12 apps, G:1, A:0
    19/20 - 26 apps, G:0, A:5

Obviously Maddison has only played 7 championship games but every single year in league one he's scored more and assisted more than Williams has in all his championship seasons put together

Maybe Mick McCarthy wants a player he can bring on 75 mins into a game to win some free kicks
  • Anyone heard anymore on Kirk? Has the bid been accepted or have we moved on?
  • RedRobin said:
    Anyone heard anymore on Kirk? Has the bid been accepted or have we moved on?
    Just spoke to a mate who’s a Crewe fan and no updates from there side that he’s heard. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Gilbey has been the most disappointing player this season for me. Pony. 
    Shouldn't have been rushed back from injury so quickly, but Shinnie was out injured at the time.

• edited February 2021
    RedRobin said:

The fact we have not heard anything to me suggest its still in play being worked on. 
    Probably doesnt help given the fact it could well take him about 4-hours to get down to Sparrows Lane

Of course he doesnt need to be down here for the deal to be announced but given there is plenty of time left in the day, it could be a factor
  • I presume Kirk is lower on the wanted list than Randall was? That's how I believe Gallen and Bowyer work, have a list of players for a position, start at the top and enquire about them, and work down from there
  • Kirk in and maybe one out on loan is all I expect from now on.

I’d be happy with the window if that’s how it finishes
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    CDM 
    Smith/Pratley/Watson

CM 
    Shinnie/Morgan
    F.Caskey/Gilbey

CAM 
    Millar/Williams

Would have been better. 

Maddison is a better player than Williams is
    What time is his move to a championship club being announced? 
    Stupid way to judge a player

We all know Chuks is better than Bonne but who's the one playing in the championship
    But we all know why Chuks isn't. 

Why has Maddison had one loan spell in the championship, that by any metric, was an absolute disaster, yet Williams is about to sign for a championship club for the 7th time?

All those managers can't be wrong can they? 
    7th is a slight exaggeration, but your point is valid. His career has been going backwards though, he can’t get into a League 1 team currently. 
    Yes 7 is wrong, it would actually be the 8th. That doesn't include Palace. 

He can't be going backwards, Bowyer said we improved him :wink:

No it will be the 6th time he signs for a different Championship club (not counting Ipswich as he rejoined them in 2014). Ipswich, Forest, MK Dons, Ipswich again, Sunderland and now Cardiff. Played about 65 times in those spells, scoring 3 goals. He's not done particularly well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• RedRobin said:
    I’d add that until JW at least is confirmed as done, we’ll hold fire on announcing any deals
  • Oggy Red said:
    mendonca said:
    I don't know why but this constant bigging up is doing my head in abit:

"He has improved as a player under us. The list is bloody endless – of people doing well and moving on."

That's not for our benefit, the fans.

It's so the media pick up on it and it gets known throughout football that we improve players.
    Then players want to come to us and Prem clubs want to lend us their bright young prospects.

But only if it's actually true though

I doubt Man City thought we improved the other Matt Smith, or Utd thought we improved Dylan Levitt
    I should imagine Man City and Man Utd realise that loaning out youngsters is always a gamble - and that there are lots of factors that will make a move a success or not.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    CDM 
    Smith/Pratley/Watson

CM 
    Shinnie/Morgan
    F.Caskey/Gilbey

CAM 
    Millar/Williams

Would have been better. 

Maddison is a better player than Williams is
    What time is his move to a championship club being announced? 
    Stupid way to judge a player

We all know Chuks is better than Bonne but who's the one playing in the championship
    But we all know why Chuks isn't. 

Why has Maddison had one loan spell in the championship, that by any metric, was an absolute disaster, yet Williams is about to sign for a championship club for the 7th time?

All those managers can't be wrong can they? 
    7th is a slight exaggeration, but your point is valid. His career has been going backwards though, he can’t get into a League 1 team currently. 
    Yes 7 is wrong, it would actually be the 8th. That doesn't include Palace. 

He can't be going backwards, Bowyer said we improved him :wink:

No it will be the 6th time he signs for a different Championship club (not counting Ipswich as he rejoined them in 2014). Ipswich, Forest, MK Dons, Ipswich again, Sunderland and now Cardiff. Played about 65 times in those spells, scoring 3 goals. He's not done particularly well. 
    What divison were we in? 
  • Kirk in as our new captain, pls 
  • edited February 2021
    Kirk in as our new captain, pls 
    Captain? Admiral these days.
  • bit of a concern that if the plan was for a CB and a winger, we've ended up with a central midfielder - that could be:
    - the CB / winger info was bollox (unlikely given the source)
    - the CB / winger info was put out to prompt some movement
    - we have missed out on the CB and no others are deemed better than what we have
    - smyth became available and was deemed more important than the CB
    - the winger will still happen but need JW off the books first which looks likely   
  • Crewe just told Harry Pickering to Blackburn for 650,000. was hoping we'd take a look at him in the summer.

Surely a similar fee would get Kirk. 
  • or we've had another injury to a CM in training and need cover of quality in this area.
  • For what it's worth I do think Maddison has been overlooked by Championship managers. I'm not speculating on whether that's due to his character (which it may be), but on the pitch he impacts games more than Williams does.

Obviously Maddison has only played 7 championship games but every single year in league one he's scored more and assisted more than Williams has in all his championship seasons put together

Maybe Mick McCarthy wants a player he can bring on 75 mins into a game to win some free kicks
    All the managers that overlooked him can't be wrong though.  Peterborough must be the most heavily scouted club in the lower leagues over the time he was there.

No one thought the reason their strikers scored goal was just because of Maddison and still bought the striker instead?  Enough strikers went through the club.

I don't think the reason he hasn't had the chance is attitude, because most managers have an ego big enough to say "I'll sort him out", even the more level headed ones like Curbs.

I have no idea what the reason is, but it must exist? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Crewe just told Harry Pickering to Blackburn for 650,000. was hoping we'd take a look at him in the summer.

It slightly worries me that they have done that and sold Perry NG as well as that puts them more in the driving seat as they will no longer need the money like other clubs will at the moment. 

Hope this doesn't scupper the Kirk deal. Guess they'll have known about the interest in both but that would rip their left side apart.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    mart77 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mart77 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Bogle, Lapslie, Doughty, Smyth, Williams(?) Oztumer(?) out
    Stockley, Smith, Millar, Schwartz, Kirk(?) in.... Is that a good window overall
    I’d have liked one more youngster on a perm but those changes have to be a big upgrade.
    Yep, good window for me. Shame Bowyer can't work with either Williams or Oztumer as they've done well it at this level previously, but Kirk seems to be a decent upgrade option given his age. 
    I also really like how Kirk has played 120 games in 2 and a half seasons which I’d guess is similar to JW anc Ozzy combined
    Williams/Ozzy 113 Goals 5, Assists 9
    Kirk 119 Goals 25, Assists 30. 
    I get your point but how many of those 119 games for Kirk were below league 1. How many games have Williams and oztumer played below league 1?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    For what it's worth I do think Maddison has been overlooked by Championship managers. I'm not speculating on whether that's due to his character (which it may be), but on the pitch he impacts games more than Williams does.

All the managers that overlooked him can't be wrong though.  Peterborough must be the most heavily scouted club in the lower leagues over the time he was there.

No one thought the reason their strikers scored goal was just because of Maddison and still bought the striker instead?  Enough strikers went through the club.

I don't think the reason he hasn't had the chance is attitude, because most managers have an ego big enough to say "I'll sort him out", even the more level headed ones like Curbs.

Scouts are sent to scout a position. They may return with comments on other positions but more often than not they are sent to watch either a specific player or a specific position. (Assumption based on what we hear from the game)

The fact he played 22 games scoring 9 goals and assisting 5 times tells you why Hull took a chance, but they were in freefall and he obviously didn't warm to them and visa versa in his limited time. He still scored a goal. 

In fact his movement was really good for it too. Takes players on, doesn't just watch his shot follows it through to its conclusion and is congratulated by his team mates. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2yC7bcGXUc

His league goal for us and his goal for Hull both came playing the free role in CAM. 

Sorry getting distracted by history. I also don't get why, attitude rarely ever stops a player getting a move. I wonder if it was because until last season, like with Toney P'Boro priced him out of many clubs 'take a punt' budget?
  • Fingers crossed for Williams !!! Hope he manages to pass his medical 🏥 he should be alright as long as it’s only 60mins 
  • Smith has played 90 minutes 24 times this season for Swindon. 

We will soon put a stop to that.

Disappointing to hear his battery doesn't run out at 60mins.
    Something I was about to post. I hope he is not expecting that sort of game time here as I'm sure he will be "rotated" just like Williams, Levitt, Gilbey, Shinnie, Morgan, Maddisson & JFC.
  • Levitt got rotated right back out the door 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    For what it's worth I do think Maddison has been overlooked by Championship managers. I'm not speculating on whether that's due to his character (which it may be), but on the pitch he impacts games more than Williams does.

Scouts are sent to scout a position. They may return with comments on other positions but more often than not they are sent to watch either a specific player or a specific position. (Assumption based on what we hear from the game)

The fact he played 22 games scoring 9 goals and assisting 5 times tells you why Hull took a chance, but they were in freefall and he obviously didn't warm to them and visa versa in his limited time. He still scored a goal. 

In fact his movement was really good for it too. Takes players on, doesn't just watch his shot follows it through to its conclusion and is congratulated by his team mates. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2yC7bcGXUc

His league goal for us and his goal for Hull both came playing the free role in CAM. 

Sorry getting distracted by history. I also don't get why, attitude rarely ever stops a player getting a move. I wonder if it was because until last season, like with Toney P'Boro priced him out of many clubs 'take a punt' budget?
    That was the second time his contract got in the last year.  You would think with those numbers you would send a scout to specifically watch him?

Anyway we are all guessing at the why, but it didn't happen.