Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Getting younger and fitter players in so we can play a more pro active game on the front foot is paramount for Cafc.

Surprised more folk on CL can't see that.
    I have no problem with Pratley or Watson in the defensive midfield position, but being out run or not getting back quick enough has to stop.

I wish Jonny Williams well. Lovely bloke who I had long chats with when he was injured. 

Kirk for me over Jonny at this stage of their careers in League 1.

Spot on. 
  • Well Bows and Gallen said they were trying to shuffle the pack in this window and it’s good to see that they’re making the tough calls. I see Will Grigg is being linked with Mk Dons so that may free up space if they want Maddison. Would be a hugely risky move as if he settles he could fly them up the table.
  • Bogle, Lapslie, Doughty, Smyth, Williams(?) Oztumer(?) out
    Stockley, Smith, Millar, Schwartz, Kirk(?) in.... Is that a good window overall
  • Im behind on this Matt Smith thing. So is this:

1). Not the Millwall Matt Smith

2) Not the shit Matt Smith from Man City who maybe wasn’t quite so shit because he has played 17 times this year for a better team than us 

3) Yet another Matt Smith about whom I know nothing 

It may be Matt Smith from ITV and BT on Loan to cover Scott Minto on Valley pass.
    Yes we're selling Scott Minto to Chelsea TV  ;)
    I know its two different channels but Chelsea Fan TV certainly wont want him, given the current presenter!!
  • mart77 said:
    Well Bows and Gallen said they were trying to shuffle the pack in this window and it’s good to see that they’re making the tough calls. I see Will Grigg is being linked with Mk Dons so that may free up space if they want Maddison. Would be a hugely risky move as if he settles he could fly them up the table.
    Grigg looked to have a lot to offer Sunderland for league 1 and has been an absolute failure. 5 goals in 3 seasons for £4m!
  • sam3110 said:
    Bogle, Lapslie, Doughty, Smyth, Williams(?) Oztumer(?) out
    I’d have liked one more youngster on a perm but those changes have to be a big upgrade.
  • Apparently Posh have rejected a seven figure bid for Mo Eisa from a league 1 club.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    So so so many midfielders. Tempted to send Shinnie back just so we can have all 5 loans at once
    You are joking aren't you? He is our best one. I still reckon we may see him sign on a permanent today.
    Agree he’s one of the best we’ve got but clearly Bowyer thinks our current crop aren’t good enough as is. Before the window opened we were already stacked in midfield, we’ve only added to that. 

We’ve now got 6 loans and all 6 are probably starting 11 players. I don’t think we’ll make Shinnie permanent unless Luton pay him off and he’s happy to take a massive pay cut.
    Bowyer really rates Shinnie, he's just been injured recently. I know there are a few who we can say this of, but our form is SO much better with him in the team. I do agree with you though that probably all 6 loans get in our match day squad.
  • mart77 said:
    So apart from Wiredu...

1. Who are we expecting to depart before tonight
    2. Who do you have a sneaky feeling might depart by tonight
    1 Williams
    2 Gilbey out on loan somewhere maybe
    I’d forgotten about Gilbey 🙈
    Easily done - he has been bit of a no show.
  • mart77 said:
    Well Bows and Gallen said they were trying to shuffle the pack in this window and it’s good to see that they’re making the tough calls. I see Will Grigg is being linked with Mk Dons so that may free up space if they want Maddison. Would be a hugely risky move as if he settles he could fly them up the table.
    Grigg looked to have a lot to offer Sunderland for league 1 and has been an absolute failure. 5 goals in 3 seasons for £4m!
    I think a move to MK would be his last chance saloon. I think there will be some real scrambling in the last few hours
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    CB Order:

RCB
    Inniss
    Oshilaja
    Gunter

LCB
    Famewo
    Oshilaja
    Pearce

Oshilaja being the complete bridesmaid there... 
    Or the best cover as much more flexible.  I do like Osilaja.  He does always try his best and doesn't hide.
    I agree, just a play on 'Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.' he's as you say the perfect back up to CB at this level. 
  • Apparently Posh have rejected a seven figure bid for Mo Eisa from a league 1 club.
    If that is true, that would only be us. But that is a very big IF.
  • I doubt we would offering into the millions just yet.
  • I make Bowyer right, no point signing a player for the sake of it. 

I think Gunter and Pratley can do a job if the other 4 are not available and would actually put Pearce 6th choice. 

Everyone highlights an issue at centre back because of the goals conceded and I agree to a degree but a big part of the problem is in front of that. It is the midfield have in the past been very poor and caused a big part of the defence issues. At times during the bad ran the midfield lacked energy and bite, lost possession so easily was overrun and provided no outlet. This was helping invite pressure onto the defence. 

I think more energy in midfield and players that can keep possession, Milar carrying the ball and Stockley holding the ball up will help us massively just as much the return of the two first choice CB. 

Can't help but attribute that to our best CDM not being there because he is too busy at centre half though
     Yes agree we did miss Pratley protecting and is a part of it but not all, he is not going to keep hold of positions or run with the ball to give rest bite. 

Separate conversation but a team looking to be going up from League one should not be relaying on Pratley and he should be used for certain games. 
    Quite agree on the separate conversation starter. But the Pratley protecting plus then not being a natural/ cultured centre backs offers a double whammy.

Anyway I'm done. As I actually think we have reached a consensus
  • mart77 said:
    sam3110 said:
    I’d have liked one more youngster on a perm but those changes have to be a big upgrade.
    Yep, good window for me. Shame Bowyer can't work with either Williams or Oztumer as they've done well it at this level previously, but Kirk seems to be a decent upgrade option given his age. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Apparently Posh have rejected a seven figure bid for Mo Eisa from a league 1 club.
    Could also be Sunderland... Mo Eisa was signed by Lee Johnson @ Bristol City
    Good shout.
    Hasn’t scored a league goal yet this season. 
  • edited February 2021
    Apparently Posh have rejected a seven figure bid for Mo Eisa from a league 1 club.
    Driesen said Peterborough had overpaid for him. You could surmise from that statement that he had previous with the player - were we in for him before? If so it would make sense we're back in for him, especially with Chuks contract running out.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Been prolific at warming the bench though!
    Toney who he replaced has been doing very well in the Championship. 18 in 25 with 6 assists. We should have paid that £4m the summer before last. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    But also sold him after barely playing him at all for an entire year.
  • Im behind on this Matt Smith thing. So is this:

1). Not the Millwall Matt Smith

2) Not the shit Matt Smith from Man City who maybe wasn’t quite so shit because he has played 17 times this year for a better team than us 

3) Yet another Matt Smith about whom I know nothing 

It may be Matt Smith from ITV and BT on Loan to cover Scott Minto on Valley pass.
    Yes we're selling Scott Minto to Chelsea TV  ;)
    They have changed their minds and gone for Antony Barness instead.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Toney who he replaced has been doing very well in the Championship. 18 in 25 with 6 assists. We should have paid that £4m the summer before last. 
    If only we had an owner last summer like Matt Southall who was prepared to ask the question!!
  • This time last year we were at the bottom of the barrel no money no signings (worth getting excited about) and a severely thin squad.  Am I the only one who is buzzin we are after signing players for positions we don’t even particularly need?!  What a position to be in during a revenue decimating pandemic, up the Charlton.
  • Dazzler21 said:

So has half of our squad, including Chuks. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Gut feeling is Sunderland
  • This time last year we were at the bottom of the barrel no money no signings (worth getting excited about) and a severely thin squad.  Am I the only one who is buzzin we are after signing players for positions we don’t even particularly need?!  What a position to be in during a revenue decimating pandemic, up the Charlton.
    Yeah... If they were Perms i'd agree. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    mart77 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Yep, good window for me. Shame Bowyer can't work with either Williams or Oztumer as they've done well it at this level previously, but Kirk seems to be a decent upgrade option given his age. 
    I also really like how Kirk has played 120 games in 2 and a half seasons which I’d guess is similar to JW anc Ozzy combined