Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• No harm or complaints at all in adding to and improving the squad, but definitely don't think he'll be getting in our first choice XI.
  • Im behind on this Matt Smith thing. So is this:

1). Not the Millwall Matt Smith

2) Not the shit Matt Smith from Man City who maybe wasn’t quite so shit because he has played 17 times this year for a better team than us 

3) Yet another Matt Smith about whom I know nothing 
    4. Former doctor
    Who, number 11, now aged 38 and was at the youth teams of Northampton Town, Nottingham Forest, and Leicester City, becoming captain of the latter's youth team before a serious back injury resulted in spondylolysis and early retirement. 

I appreciate the times that we are currently witnessing but surely he and we aren't that desperate?
  • Is there a way we can fit all 3 of those in midfield without removing the in-form JFC?

Nope. So Shinnie who is already rotating with Morgan, will also be rotating with Smith?
  • Chunes said:
    So whose place in midfield is Smith currently taking?
    If he's playing him as a 10 then maybe it's understandable, he's competing with Maddison / Shinnie in that role, but how often do we play with a 10? We seem to play the diamond once every 7-8 games. The midfield is so swamped. 

Albie going out on loan?
    Kirk is also a 10 I believe. 
  • Leuth said:
    Rather than offloading Maddison, can we get rid of Gilbey and Watson, pretty please? 

I'd get rid of Gilbey and keep Watson.

And we've yet to see the best of Maddison IMHO.
  • The fact Bow's is saying the things we've all wanted in a team/tactics and approach should give us some comfort. 
  • I've never seen or heard of this Smith lad, but surely Lapslie could've done that job?
  • Maybe we won't play Pratley OR Watson! Maybe we'll set up to cause the opposition problems rather than purely stop them, give the ball to Millar and inshallah
  • He looks much more central to me.  Bowyer says a no 8 or 10.  With Williams going Morgan becomes much more important, he's the only midfielder from the bench who injects pace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Maybe we won't play Pratley OR Watson! Maybe we'll set up to cause the opposition problems rather than purely stop them, give the ball to Millar and inshallah
    There was enough talk on here before the season started saying that Pratley would be more of a defender as well

Thats something that has happened and probably will happen again, just hope its only if we dont have Inniss or Oshilaja
  • mendonca said:
    The fact Bow's is saying the things we've all wanted in a team/tactics and approach should give us some comfort. 
    Definitely, we've all seen the runs of Washington & Schwarz not being picked up, good to hear him call it out. 
  • No harm or complaints at all in adding to and improving the squad, but definitely don't think he'll be getting in our first choice XI.
    Nor do I, and this is why I don't think getting him improves our squad. Not to doubt his ability, but I believe he would be 4/5th choice to play in the center of our current midfield.
  • edited February 2021
    I've never seen or heard of this Smith lad, but surely Lapslie could've done that job?
  • Feels like a replacement for Levitt in terms of him being an energetic midfielder who can sit and pass the ball around. I really don't know much about him so it's hard to say what role he'll play but it sounds like he was doing really well at Swindon. He looks like he's 8 years old though
  • Shinnie and Morgan and indeed JFC all like to pass the ball forward, so it's hardly a weakness in our team at the moment
  • Winter deadline day 2022 loan signing confirmed

Unimpressed by the lack of coloured boots or visible tattoos. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    I've never seen or heard of this Smith lad, but surely Lapslie could've done that job?
    Age was the issue there. Lapslie is a senior player according to the cap. We would be paying *up to £1700 a week for Lapslie according to the cap, for all we know this is free?
  • Losing my shit on his one. Yes people can cover, but they and the team are better off for them playing in their own fecking position!!
  • So whose place in midfield is Smith currently taking?
    Levitt 😂
  • edited February 2021
    Losing my shit on his one. Yes people can cover, but they and the team are better off for them playing in their own fecking position!!
    There's only one excuse to play a player out of position and it's that the strength of the team is not compromised by them not being in their primary position and that there is no one better to play in that position. 

Smyth at RWB and Matthews at LB are examples of where Bowyer has got this wrong.

Gunter however has steadily improved at RCB, helped by a currently in form Oshilaja and neither Pearce or Pratley playing alongside him. Matthews is more than an adequate replacement at RB. What we have currently is apparently better than what we can afford to get from elsewhere. 
  • I still think two more midfielders could sign today!
  • Another centre back would also push Barker further down the pecking order, would rather give him a chance than an unproven youngster from elsewhere