Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• SamB09 said:
    Jonny is very much affected by confidence you can tell that by his interview on the Sunderland Netflix show. If your not feeling good inside then that will show on the outside.
    I think Johnny has a fragile mind and believe this is the reason he blows hot and cold.
  • Southbank said:
    Bowyer obviously wants to get another winger in, which makes sense because if Millar gets injured, loses form or needs a rest then we have absolutely no alternative to him in our squad. We learned the hard way how much that can change your plans when Doughty exploded his hamstring so hopefully we'll get that sorted quickly. After that I still think we'd benefit more from getting in a physical midfielder who can play than a CB. Famewo will hopefully be back soon and then we will be ok with Deji and Famewo until Inniss can return. It's all very well bringing in a short-term CB but once Inniss and Famewo are back will that player be needed anymore? We've been looking a bit more assured there recently, and using a slot to fill a gap where as the season goes on we won't need that player anymore might not be the best use of money, and is unlikely to win us any points with the loaning team. We can definitely improve the mobility and presence of our midfield though, so if there's a player in that profile available we can benefit from that long term. In the end though it all comes down to availability. If there's a decent CB available and nothing doing in midfield then it could still be a worthwhile signing though.
    I think you are making the same mistake that Liverpool made. Yes, they have Gomez and Van Dyke, and when they are back they won't need another high class CB. But the 'back' keeps receding and they look half the team without them.
    The difference there is that we actually have four senior CBs, two of them are fit and one is about to return. One is badly out of form at the moment, but we're not in a situation like Liverpool where their two first choices are pretty much out for the season and they only have one injury-prone back up. We're also subject to a cap and they aren't. If not for the cap I'd agree that we may as well just get someone in, but if we're having to make a decision on one space then I think we will benefit more from adding that player at the base of midfield rather than in central defence where we do have decent players.
  • Kirk sounds like future captain material
    I always liked him on Coronation Street.
  • ButtleJR said:
    Have a feeling Maddison will be offloaded as well tbh
    Agreed, but cant think of any team who would want to take him on. Imagine it will be another league one club but cant see it being a promotion rival or Maddison would fancy playing for a relegation battler.
  • Kirk would be a great addition. Right age to be signing as well - Chris Powell summer 2011 transfer vibes
  • ButtleJR said:
    Have a feeling Maddison will be offloaded as well tbh
    Agreed, but cant think of any team who would want to take him on. Imagine it will be another league one club but cant see it being a promotion rival or Maddison would fancy playing for a relegation battler.
    Someone like Wycombe or Rotherham might be ideal... Gives him the chance to play in the Championship again
  • Redrobo said:
    Look at all those areas Bowyer could play Kirk... No wonder he wants him ;)

Looking at those figures he has therefore primarily played on the LEFT. We already have Millar that plays left wing. Please don't sign him & play him on the RIGHT fgs !!. If you are going to sign a player & least play him where he is comfortable & has shown to be effective.

And before anyone starts up.....I'm not dissing the player or not giving him a chance before seeing him play. Just making an observation based on the facts presented. 
    He is right footed, as is Millar. Most if not all right footed wingers will have played on the right and it would be a natural position to play before cutting in on your stronger foot became fashionable.
    I do not know the answer, but is there a good reason as to why he has played mainly on the left? Have they a player that suits them better on the right wing and he would not play if not picked to play on the left? Maybe he is blessed and can use both feet effectively? Maybe Millar will move right. Doughty did. At the end of the day, pace is pace and frightens defences.
    Before we start laying down the law, maybe it would be better to see how we play him and others in the team? I have faith in SG knowing what he is doing.
    Good point & duly noted.
  • Another winger wouldn’t be the worst position to fill.  Millar is on the left, but we always seem to be playing central midfielders in wide roles.  Shinnie, Gilbey and JFC have all operated on the right at some point this season.  Stockley looks like the sort of player that would enjoy a ball into the box as well.  However, crossing seems to be a lost art these days in general. 
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    I don't know why but this constant bigging up is doing my head in abit:

"He has improved as a player under us. The list is bloody endless – of people doing well and moving on."

Agreed. I think he came here as a player with confidence and played with freedom and he’s leaving a shadow of that player.
  • I reckon if a club came in for Maddison he would definitely go, but they weren't queuing up to sign him in the summer so it seems unlikely 
  • mendonca said:
    I don't know why but this constant bigging up is doing my head in abit:

"He has improved as a player under us. The list is bloody endless – of people doing well and moving on."

Agreed. I think he came here as a player with confidence and played with freedom and he’s leaving a shadow of that player.
    Surely not. Everyone knows that players improve under Bowyer......
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Scoham said:
    Williams does not count towards the cap under his current contract so doesn't make sense to let him go. Might be an idea for Bowyer to figure out why a club at a higher level is interested.
    Or why he can't manager or use flair players who make games interesting . One minute people are saying how piss poor League 1 is and the next minute they are happy that the flair players are being flogged off.  Lately I have been bored by this never ending defensive stance and demands that players do duties ill fitting them.

However I am fed up with Williams' constant falling over when blown one by an opponent .

I don't know what to make of this news. 25 appearances this season apparently. 
    Is Millar not a flair player?
     One swallow does not a summer make.

Fosu
     Williams 
     Maddison 

None greatest at a tackle but is that always necessary.  

What about Doughty and Gallagher then?

Or Lyle Taylor...

Bowyer being unable to work with flair players is a myth - the difference is he sets his teams up to all work, those who dont, dont play... 
    Doughty isn't a flair player is he . He is about pace alone mostly. 

Gallagher is a midfield player who is box to box and can pass well. He also likes a tackle. 

Maddison and Fosu and Williams are flair type players.  
    Exactly a flair player is someone who is skillful with the ball

Gallagher and Aribo were perfect examples of players who could run with it, pass or shoot

The difference being is those two could do it with consistent results at the right end whilst also putting in a shit at the other

Maddison | Fosu | Williams have all thought they're too high and mighty to do the dirty work, doesnt wash down here
     That doesn't seem to put Brentford of Fosu and Brentford are a far better team than Charlton. 

Williams,  high and mighty ?

Maddison 246 plus  appearances in 5 and a half years with a big goals and assists record doesn't sound like a player not pulling his weight does it ?

Aribo,  well the one I watched went missing  for stretches of the game. 
    Re. Maddison, I am afraid...what you are quoting has been and gone. You may want to ask Hull for example about their thoughts on him....a team who have also had him since this goals and assists record you mention. Something ain’t right between the ears!
     I know I am winning  an argument  when you resort to insults 😀
    I think he was insulting Maddison. Not you. But could be wrong. 

FWIW I think the right manager would see Maddison come good again. He needs for me to be the tip of the diamond player when we play that formation. The 'free role' if you will. He has started there once and did pretty well (AFC Wombles), was involved in 3/5 of our goals in that game. No direct assists, but even then he created a few one on one opportunities for the forwards with his vision and passing ability.

If Albie could learn from any of our current crop, it'd be Maddison. Coupled with Bowyer drilling him on the grafting side he could develop to be very good. 

Anyway back to rumours, I like the sound of us signing Kirk. Would be more competition for places and a player of our own come the end of the season.  

• I hate deadline day, we hope and hope and end up with diddly squat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sad to see that. Had hoped Wiredu would break through
  • Hal1x said:
    I hate deadline day, we hope and hope and end up with diddly squat.
    How tall, and can he play CB?
  • Where is Wiredu going?
  • Chunes said:
    Where is Wiredu going?
    A club that remotely knows how to handle attacking players
  • I liked Brendan. Let’s hope we don’t see him as ‘one who got away’ in a few years time.
  • Chunes said:
    Where is Wiredu going?
    Not said yet. Doesn’t sound too happy to be off but then I guess he’s been here for years