Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Baah at Man city.

We'll have to get our skates on, then.
  • mart77 said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Will Arsenal be happy sending him to us to be a squad player, as no way would Smith be part of our first choice midfield 4 at the moment, which presumably is Millar, JFC, Pratley and Shinnie, with Morgan, Watson and Gilbey all in the wings
    Plenty of football to be played and with Smyth gone, it still only leaves us with one winger. Williams been playing there too so if he goes I definitely think we need a wide man. Or is he a CM?
    From the customary you tube clip above he’s a CM not a wide man.
    In that case I agree with Killer and would go further and say it's pointless. I think we need to be looking at a winger to replace Williams. 
    Wouldn’t disagree with that if Smyth is followed out the door by Williams although Bowyer, I think said earlier that he wanted a box to box midfielder so maybe a wide man will also be signed 🤷‍♂️.
    Just seems a waste to me. I think Shinnie, Gilbey, Morgan and JFC are all sort of box to box midfielders. I think very few of us look at our squad and see a CM as being a priority. If we can afford to sign two a CB has to be second on the list. 
    Personally I don’t feel we have replaced Cullen. Not saying Smith will do this but Bows definitely wanted another cm. We need more mobility there.
    In an ideal world, I'd sign a No 2 keeper and allow AMB to get some game time, sign a CB, a mobile CM like you say, a winger and a striker with pace. The problem is we have a salary cap and need to prioritise. 
    I’m not sure we’ll get a keeper but I think we’ll sign 3 players tomorrow. After I saw that Valley Pass clip of Gallen a week ago talking about how he was looking at a number of positions I feel we’ll be busy tomorrow. I wouldn’t rule out more exits in addition to Williams either.
  • Scoham said:
    Pretty underwhelmed if it's true

1) It's another loan, which is hardly building for the future
    2) It's another passing midfielder. Looking at his bio on the Arsenal website, it says Matthew typically looks to operate as a deep-lying playmaker, tasked with controlling the tempo of games and picking out runners in the final third, which surely is similar to the roles of Shinnie and Morgan already, and similar to Levitt who Bowyer never played! Or the likes of Henry and Vennings in our academy

https://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/matt-smith

And while he might have played well for Swindon this season, he's hardly been a stand out player in L1 this season, That John Sheridan is prepared to give him up, so that he can bring in a loan player in another position, doesn't suggest he's a key player for them. 
    He's been compared to Carrick in here: https://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=58476.15

I'd say that's a different type of player to Shinnie and Morgan. In the 4-4-2 we're now playing one of them will play on the right and get forward, link up with an overlapping right back and look to get goals and assists.

If Smith is capable defensively and not just a passer then he could be an improvement over Pratley/Watson in that holding role.

I'd be staggered if a 20 year old on loan to L1 who can pick out a brilliant pass was better defensively than Pratley or Watson (or indeed JFC). 
    That's why I only said capable defensively.
  • I think Smith will do OK if he comes to us.
  • Arsenal doing to Swindon what Chelsea did to us with Gallagher?
    Doesn’t sit well with me for that reason. If you are on a season long loan that’s what it should be. If the parent club wants to recall you and loan you out again then it should only be allowed to a club in a higher league. 
  • Scoham said:
    Here we go...

Lol, I expected @Chizz to have mocked that up before posting it 😉
  • Thomas will thrash out a song every time we sign another player  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Not sure about letting Williams go. He has his flaws but I think he’s a good player in a decent team, just maybe not someone that turns an average team into a good one single handedly. He can carry the ball, is positive in possession, links midfield and attack, and wins free kicks which can be very useful if you’re trying to kill a game. Fitness is a frustration, for sure, but I think his contribution goes beyond his statistics for goals/assists, which do look sub par at face value. I also see him as being the closest we have to a backup to Millar, although he doesn’t have that raw pace. I hope we are signing a winger if he goes. 

Another centre mid doesn’t feel like a priority, but we’re an injury to JFC away from having a big box to box type hole in it. Gilbey has been a bigger disappointment than Bogle or Maddison in my opinion, and Albie has improved his work rate but he’s still a bit naive defensively sometimes and certainly has been inconsistent.

In and ideal world we be signing a couple tomorrow with no departures but the salary cap leaves in a non-ideal world, unfortunately. 
  • Gammon said:
    I'm friends with a Exeter journalist who is on good terms with their manager, gonna ask what he knows about Randall
    Repeating the party line of the 1million asking price and that his stats outdo ollie Watkins 
  • Smith has played 90 minutes 24 times this season for Swindon. 
    Looking at this another way and that is more starts (27 appearances in total) than any of our outfield players. LB has been at pains to stress that too much football for youngsters (Smith was only 20 in October) is not good for them. Presumably Arsenal won't be too unhappy if he isn't a regular starter for that reason too as long as he does get an opportunity to develop. 
  • edited February 2021
    Genuinely believe that within a year a club will stick 2 fingers up to the EFL and say 'fuck you' to the salary cap and it'll end up being abolished in court. Most probably it'll be Sheff Weds if they get relegated. 

Either that or a bunch of clubs will demand a re-vote this summer.
  • 7:5 hrs to go. Any news?
  • What are Arsenal unhappy about re: Sheridan's handling of Smith?
  • Would love to see Cullen back here...wishful thinking I know.
  • Scoham said:
    Williams does not count towards the cap under his current contract so doesn't make sense to let him go. Might be an idea for Bowyer to figure out why a club at a higher level is interested.
    Or why he can't manager or use flair players who make games interesting . One minute people are saying how piss poor League 1 is and the next minute they are happy that the flair players are being flogged off.  Lately I have been bored by this never ending defensive stance and demands that players do duties ill fitting them.

However I am fed up with Williams' constant falling over when blown one by an opponent .

I don't know what to make of this news. 25 appearances this season apparently. 
    Is Millar not a flair player?
     One swallow does not a summer make.

Fosu
     Williams 
     Maddison 

None greatest at a tackle but is that always necessary.  

What about Doughty and Gallagher then?

Or Lyle Taylor...

Bowyer being unable to work with flair players is a myth - the difference is he sets his teams up to all work, those who dont, dont play... 
    Doughty isn't a flair player is he . He is about pace alone mostly. 

Gallagher is a midfield player who is box to box and can pass well. He also likes a tackle. 

Maddison and Fosu and Williams are flair type players.  
    Exactly a flair player is someone who is skillful with the ball

Gallagher and Aribo were perfect examples of players who could run with it, pass or shoot

The difference being is those two could do it with consistent results at the right end whilst also putting in a shit at the other

Maddison | Fosu | Williams have all thought they're too high and mighty to do the dirty work, doesnt wash down here
     That doesn't seem to put Brentford of Fosu and Brentford are a far better team than Charlton. 

Williams,  high and mighty ?

Maddison 246 plus  appearances in 5 and a half years with a big goals and assists record doesn't sound like a player not pulling his weight does it ?

Aribo,  well the one I watched went missing  for stretches of the game. 
    Re. Maddison, I am afraid...what you are quoting has been and gone. You may want to ask Hull for example about their thoughts on him....a team who have also had him since this goals and assists record you mention. Something ain’t right between the ears!
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    I read somewhere on this forum that they were after Glen Murray as well - so obviously desperate to get a striker in.

Taylor clearly not rated up there.
  • WE HAVE A RUMOUR

Charlton have bid £500k for Crewe Forward: Charlie Kirk... Sky Sports

https://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

Is he centre forward or more of a winger? Cant see we need another striker. 
  • WE HAVE A RUMOUR

More of a winger.
  • WE HAVE A RUMOUR

More of a winger.
    Probably a replacement for Williams if it happens 
  • Taking this with a pinch of salt until Cawley or someone else well-connected ratifies the interest but this is exactly the sort of player we should be targeting when taking a long term view on squad-building strategy. Intriguing.