Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Arsenal doing to Swindon what Chelsea did to us with Gallagher?
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If Williams goes we will sign Shinnie on a free on a 6 month contract.  

1 loan, 1 under 21 perm. 
    Why would we do this... Luton are paying 80% of his wages. 
    Because we can get another loan in and Bowyer wont have to worry about leaving a sixth loan signing out of the team each week
    Although I don't believe Bowyer will worry too much about having a 6th loan player ...... chances are, there's every risk that one or more of the loan players pick up an injury at some point, especially in this compressed season with often 3 games a week - maybe a 'spare' loan player provides extra cover?

• Arsenal doing to Swindon what Chelsea did to us with Gallagher?
    Not exactly as Sheridan doesn’t rate Smith as much as the fans do apparently and has not been utilising him correctly in some fans opinions. Similar to us with Williams.
  • Will Arsenal be happy sending him to us to be a squad player, as no way would Smith be part of our first choice midfield 4 at the moment, which presumably is Millar, JFC, Pratley and Shinnie, with Morgan, Watson and Gilbey all in the wings
  • Will Arsenal be happy sending him to us to be a squad player, as no way would Smith be part of our first choice midfield 4 at the moment, which presumably is Millar, JFC, Pratley and Shinnie, with Morgan, Watson and Gilbey all in the wings
    See I think if he signs he will play. Bows has already said he wanted a box to box midfielder. Exciting 24 hours ahead. 
  • Pretty underwhelmed if it's true

1) It's another loan, which is hardly building for the future
    2) It's another passing midfielder. Looking at his bio on the Arsenal website, it says Matthew typically looks to operate as a deep-lying playmaker, tasked with controlling the tempo of games and picking out runners in the final third, which surely is similar to the roles of Shinnie and Morgan already, and similar to Levitt who Bowyer never played! Or the likes of Henry and Vennings in our academy

https://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/matt-smith

And while he might have played well for Swindon this season, he's hardly been a stand out player in L1 this season, That John Sheridan is prepared to give him up, so that he can bring in a loan player in another position, doesn't suggest he's a key player for them. 
    He's been compared to Carrick in here: https://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=58476.15

I'd say that's a different type of player to Shinnie and Morgan. In the 4-4-2 we're now playing one of them will play on the right and get forward, link up with an overlapping right back and look to get goals and assists.

If Smith is capable defensively and not just a passer then he could be an improvement over Pratley/Watson in that holding role.

• DOUCHER said:
    i don't see that thee ios any way that the EFL can impose sanctions when a champ or prem club pay a player some money which effectively is making up for wages that are restricted by the cap and i also doin't think they will care because the purpose of the cap is not to be a pain in the arse, its to stop flimsy clubs from overspending and building up liabilities they cannot afford - a champ club giving a player a golden handshake as he moves into the cap zone, is not giving the league 1 club any financial burden.  
    I get what you are saying, but it's not just about building up liabilities. If that was the case, signing on fees wouldn't be taken into account but they are. 

To be honest I've always thought the best way to stop a club from overspending is a overall cap on expenditure. In theory next season we could buy 20 of the best U21 players and offer them 10k a week. Then have 5 quality over 21's on 10k a week too. You then have a squad of 25 players totalling roughly 13mil a season.

If there really is a loophole when buying a player for X amount and getting the selling club to pay them Y then the cap is worthless. 
  • edited January 2021
    Will Arsenal be happy sending him to us to be a squad player, as no way would Smith be part of our first choice midfield 4 at the moment, which presumably is Millar, JFC, Pratley and Shinnie, with Morgan, Watson and Gilbey all in the wings
    Plenty of football to be played and with Smyth gone, it still only leaves us with one winger. Williams been playing there too so if he goes I definitely think we need a wide man. Or is he a CM?
  • Sponsored links:

• Baah at Man city.
  • edited January 2021
    Will Arsenal be happy sending him to us to be a squad player, as no way would Smith be part of our first choice midfield 4 at the moment, which presumably is Millar, JFC, Pratley and Shinnie, with Morgan, Watson and Gilbey all in the wings
    Plenty of football to be played and with Smyth gone, it still only leaves us with one winger. Williams been playing there too so if he goes I definitely think we need a wide man. Or is he a CM?
    From the customary you tube clip above he’s a CM not a wide man.

Here you go; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DzSDOsCYhck
  • Smith has played 90 minutes 24 times this season for Swindon. 
    And scored twice so definitely match fit.
  • RedChaser said:
    In that case I agree with Killer and would go further and say it's pointless. I think we need to be looking at a winger to replace Williams. 
  • Pretty underwhelmed if it's true

2) It's another passing midfielder. Looking at his bio on the Arsenal website, it says Matthew typically looks to operate as a deep-lying playmaker, tasked with controlling the tempo of games and picking out runners in the final third, which surely is similar to the roles of Shinnie and Morgan already, and similar to Levitt who Bowyer never played! Or the likes of Henry and Vennings in our academy

And while he might have played well for Swindon this season, he's hardly been a stand out player in L1 this season, That John Sheridan is prepared to give him up, so that he can bring in a loan player in another position, doesn't suggest he's a key player for them. 
    Reading up on him there is absolutely no chance of us signing him on a perm in the summer, I would also guess that arsenal would want to try and find a championship club for him next season?

• edited January 2021
    RedChaser said:
    In that case I agree with Killer and would go further and say it's pointless. I think we need to be looking at a winger to replace Williams. 
    Wouldn’t disagree with that if Smyth is followed out the door by Williams although Bowyer, I think said earlier that he wanted a box to box midfielder so maybe a wide man will also be signed 🤷‍♂️.
  • Must be about 20 and assume not in with a sniff at Arsenal.  Maybe we loan him to season end then buy in the summer if he is decent.  Many "highly rated" kids don't end up making it at the big clubs.

Seems to have done well at a club in our division.  Welcome addition if he arrives.
  • I wonder if we could be looking at 3 in assuming Jonny goes? Smith , a natural winger and a CB? 
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Wouldn’t disagree with that if Smyth is followed out the door by Williams although Bowyer, I think said earlier that he wanted a box to box midfielder so maybe a wide man will also be signed 🤷‍♂️.
    Just seems a waste to me. I think Shinnie, Gilbey, Morgan and JFC are all sort of box to box midfielders. I think very few of us look at our squad and see a CM as being a priority. If we can afford to sign two a CB has to be second on the list. 
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Just seems a waste to me. I think Shinnie, Gilbey, Morgan and JFC are all sort of box to box midfielders. I think very few of us look at our squad and see a CM as being a priority. If we can afford to sign two a CB has to be second on the list. 
    Personally I don’t feel we have replaced Cullen. Not saying Smith will do this but Bows definitely wanted another cm. We need more mobility there.
  • Not sure where the idea has come from that Smith would be a replacement for Williams anyway, if we are actually going to be signing this guy on loan it can't be ruled out yet that there'll be further outgoings, and we're just lining up our replacements before we let them leave
  • edited January 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Smith has played 90 minutes 24 times this season for Swindon. 
    Here's his 1st League goal for Swindon ...... composed and decisive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzO-M0xiR8A&ab_channel=arsenaLove

Edit: Video blocked on this website - you need to click the you tube link in the black box to see it.

• mart77 said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Personally I don’t feel we have replaced Cullen. Not saying Smith will do this but Bows definitely wanted another cm. We need more mobility there.
    In an ideal world, I'd sign a No 2 keeper and allow AMB to get some game time, sign a CB, a mobile CM like you say, a winger and a striker with pace. The problem is we have a salary cap and need to prioritise. 
  • edited January 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:

That clip has been blocked Oggy this works if you click on it
     https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tzO-M0xiR8A
  • Scoham said:
    Pretty underwhelmed if it's true

He's been compared to Carrick in here: https://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=58476.15

I'd say that's a different type of player to Shinnie and Morgan. In the 4-4-2 we're now playing one of them will play on the right and get forward, link up with an overlapping right back and look to get goals and assists.

If Smith is capable defensively and not just a passer then he could be an improvement over Pratley/Watson in that holding role.

I'd be staggered if a 20 year old on loan to L1 who can pick out a brilliant pass was better defensively than Pratley or Watson (or indeed JFC). 
  • This fella in all likelihood doesn't sound like he's going to be in the first 11. Which makes me think what's the point?

We need a centre back. 
  • RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:

That clip has been blocked Oggy not sure if this works https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tzO-M0xiR8A
    Click "Watch on You Tube" link underlined in the black Video Blocked box.

It works fine then.