Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• So sad to see Jonny going, I liked him as a player, I hope to god we have someone lined up that WILL be joining, currently we have just rumours of the lad from Crew, maybe Randall from Exeter, but it seems as though the CB Lindsey  from Stoke who people were saying we were interested in is going to PNE! I just hope its not another "We tried everything we could, but couldn't get the deals over the line" scenario!!
  • “He is brilliant on his day but not consistent. He has a little tendency to showboat and to lose concentration in terms of outcomes. Against Rochdale we saw the best and worst of him. The third goal showed excellent control, fitness and decision making. However, Rochdale's second came directly after his bit of ball juggling followed by an aimless lob into the box. To my mind he is best when he is pressuring defenders and his runs from deep centrally show what he can do. He, of course is brilliant down the left with close touch football BUT for this he needs Pickering and if Harry were to leave, I don't think we would be as effective down that side.”

“Cracking player on his day with goals and assists, just don’t expect much help defensively or great consistency. ”
    Did anyone tell Bowyer this? 
  • Got a feeling Kirk will be a replacement for Maddison not Williams.
    I'd be surprised if he's not Smyth's replacement
  • Look at all those areas Bowyer could play Kirk... No wonder he wants him ;)

Where did you hear he was leaving?

So he'll try him at Left back?
  • Hadn’t heard of Charlie Kirk until 3 minutes ago (when I started reading this thread) but at now convinced he’s the next big thing!

Love Jonny but he really hasn’t done much for quite a while. Not sure if we’re getting a fee for him?
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Hadn’t heard of Charlie Kirk until 3 minutes ago (when I started reading this thread) but at now convinced he’s the next big thing!

Love Jonny but he really hasn’t done much for quite a while. Not sure if we’re getting a fee for him?
    £200k is being reported
  • If we do sign Kirk, then one player is going to possibly be playing in a different position to their preferred one. But we need competition and to build this squad beyond just this season.
  • Be curious to see if anything happens with that Matt Smith at Arsenal now
  • Be curious to see if anything happens with that Matt Smith at Arsenal now
    Smith is a different player and I still think Bows wants at least 3 today
  • Jonny is very much affected by confidence you can tell that by his interview on the Sunderland Netflix show. If your not feeling good inside then that will show on the outside.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bowyer obviously wants to get another winger in, which makes sense because if Millar gets injured, loses form or needs a rest then we have absolutely no alternative to him in our squad. We learned the hard way how much that can change your plans when Doughty exploded his hamstring so hopefully we'll get that sorted quickly. After that I still think we'd benefit more from getting in a physical midfielder who can play than a CB. Famewo will hopefully be back soon and then we will be ok with Deji and Famewo until Inniss can return. It's all very well bringing in a short-term CB but once Inniss and Famewo are back will that player be needed anymore? We've been looking a bit more assured there recently, and using a slot to fill a gap where as the season goes on we won't need that player anymore might not be the best use of money, and is unlikely to win us any points with the loaning team. We can definitely improve the mobility and presence of our midfield though, so if there's a player in that profile available we can benefit from that long term. In the end though it all comes down to availability. If there's a decent CB available and nothing doing in midfield then it could still be a worthwhile signing though.
    I think you are making the same mistake that Liverpool made. Yes, they have Gomez and Van Dyke, and when they are back they won't need another high class CB. But the 'back' keeps receding and they look half the team without them.
  • Kirk looks an excellent addition and a great use of the Alfie fee , would probably mean Millar to the right . 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Kirk looks an excellent addition and a great use of the Alfie fee , would probably mean Millar to the right . 
    Or one could play up front...

Looking at those figures he has therefore primarily played on the LEFT. We already have Millar that plays left wing. Please don't sign him & play him on the RIGHT fgs !!. If you are going to sign a player & least play him where he is comfortable & has shown to be effective.

And before anyone starts up.....I'm not dissing the player or not giving him a chance before seeing him play. Just making an observation based on the facts presented. 
    He is right footed, as is Millar. Most if not all right footed wingers will have played on the right and it would be a natural position to play before cutting in on your stronger foot became fashionable.
    I do not know the answer, but is there a good reason as to why he has played mainly on the left? Have they a player that suits them better on the right wing and he would not play if not picked to play on the left? Maybe he is blessed and can use both feet effectively? Maybe Millar will move right. Doughty did. At the end of the day, pace is pace and frightens defences.
    Before we start laying down the law, maybe it would be better to see how we play him and others in the team? I have faith in SG knowing what he is doing.