Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Off_it said:
    MattF said:
    As an extension to a random Twitter rumour (isn't that Matt Smith on the left?)

There are 3 Matt Smiths & we get the young untried & untested one. Great.

Let me know when Welling unearth a loval lad called Lionel Messi wont you....
    Attaboy Golfie, c*nt the lad off before we've even announced his signing. A new (low) record, even by your ultra low standards.
    I have done no such thing. Merely commenting that there are 3 Matt Smiths that play football (that I know of) and we are linked to one that is pretty much untested
    .....apart from playing in a team that is in the bottom 4 of the league we are currently playing in. 

And he is supposedly going to replace a Welsh International.

Sorry if I am a little underwhelmed by it all. 
  • edited January 2021
    Thought we were passed needing to build a squad of loan players? More of the same.

And why another CM??
  • mendonca said:
    Smith will be a replacement for Williams, but having played the whole season in the same league. I'd be happy with that.

No doubt a few simpletons will struggle with him having the same (common) name as a loanee who didn't work out.
    I don’t understand the logic in losing a senior member of the squad for a 20yo on loan. 

We already have Stockley, Millar, Maatsen, Shinnie and Famewo on loan - which one of those is going to be excluded from the match-day squad to facilitate another midfielder? 

We’re just adding to the already massive rebuild needed in the summer. 
    I wrote my post on the assumption that Williams wants to go. If he is happy to assess the land in Summer, I would keep him rather than fetch a hurried replacement. 

You mention the term Senior Pro.

The characteristics of that role entails the responsibility I would like to see JW display. To be dangerous further forward and have more balls in front of goal. The hoofed chance at the Valley a few games back from 5 yards comes to mind. I want to see him play like a Senior member of our squad and make a difference to the scoreline. 
  • I actually came on to post something on the ongoing discussions regarding teams paying up contracts so we can sign them.(Shinnie)

Cant see how that would work if Shinnie is on £5k a week. He might accept a pay off from Luton but would probably want something close to want he is getting at Luton, over presumably 2 or 3 years. Getting rid of Williams on a contract that (for the salary cap calculation) is £1.7k per week is daft if you can't replace him like for like. Shinnie isn't going to accept £1.7k per week over 3 years is he. That is at least £3k per week less than he is on now......£150k pa, so £450k over 3 years. Pay Luton £500k that they pass onto him might work (if it doesnt fall foul of the EFL)

Or just do what I've been saying for months. Go over the cap & take the hit in the future......or tell the EFL we'll see them in Court under restraint of trade and/or age discrimination. 
  • MattF said:
    As an extension to a random Twitter rumour (isn't that Matt Smith on the left?)

“One of these” like they’re objects 😆 ... do they only come in black or white? 
  • Why sell Williams and replace with a loan player? Another summer rebuild is on the way again, unless we make perm signings nothing will change. 
  • If we sign Arsenal kid on loan then CB permanent?.I see it a CB on loan then another player permanent.
  • I can understand selling him in the Summer but not now. My suspicion is that Bowyer wanted to sell Williams to free up some permanent signings before Thomas came in and took us over and before the cap restrictions came in. Williams insisted on activating the clause in his contract and this prevented Bowyer doing what he wanted to do. And we had a clue with Fosu. If you annoy the bloke it seems to become personal with him.
  • Let's see what happens over the next 27 hours. It's all about squad balance and looking to the future. Selling Williams and one young loan player coming in and tomorrow would be a bad day. But Rich Cawley has already said we're after a couple and he wasn't aware on the Williams link yesterday. Smith is a promising link to me if it is with others.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swindon fans seem frustrated to see Matt Smith go -

https://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=28647.41475
  • I can understand selling him in the Summer but not now. My suspicion is that Bowyer wanted to sell Williams to free up some permanent signings before Thomas came in and took us over and before the cap restrictions came in. Williams insisted on activating the clause in his contract and this prevented Bowyer doing what he wanted to do. And we had a clue with Fosu. If you annoy the bloke it seems to become personal with him.
    JW was free to leave in the summer. We had no say in him staying but he opted to stay another year on his current terms I believe.
  • Yes, I should have said wanted to let Williams go.
  • its definitely seemed to me that that LB has been trying to make it uncomfortable for JW with a view to trying to offload him - lets hope the cardiff deal goes through and we can move on coz its really made no sense having him sitting on the bench  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If Williams goes we will sign Shinnie on a free on a 6 month contract.  

1 loan, 1 under 21 perm. 
    Why would we do this... Luton are paying 80% of his wages. 
    If they agree to pay him what they are paying anyway, it frees up a spot for another loan 
    If this is possible under the rules of the cap then great, I was under the impression it wasnt
    Right if we make a bid for Shinnie of £100 to Luton and they say yes, he is out of contract anyway so no problem.

We then say Mr Shinnie, we would like to offer you 1.7k (William's cap salary).  He replies I am very sorry Mr Bowyer but Luton are paying me 4.5k a week and have to until the end of the season, I can't accept that.

We ring Luton and say we are really sorry we can't agree personal terms, deal is off.  We are about 60k short on a 20 week contract. 

They ring Mr Shinnie and say, look aren't going to play here, nor get a new contract what can we do to smooth the transfer over?  I would like to stay at Charlton Mr Jones, if you could compensate me for ending my contract early I am sure I could agree terms.   If you pay you £60k would you consider the offer they made?

Yes I would, thank you very much Mr Jones.  Steve, its Nathan, give us 60k, not £100 and the deal is good to go.

I can't see how Charlton could be seen to be at fault here.  Clubs pay up contracts, pay loyalty bonuses for players to leave, all sorts.  The big clubs some times end up playing players fortunes to do one. 
    I don't think anyone can be sure but I'd be surprised if the EFL wouldn't investigate this. Loyalty bonuses to leave are I assume very rare. A mutual termination of the contract is fairly common but Club A paying Club B as a transfer fee, and then Club B passing that transfer fee onto the player, I cannot see it being allowed. It's clearly a way to bend the rules and I'd be extremely shocked if the EFL didn't have something within the terms to prevent it. 
    They are no where near as rare as you might imagine, it happens quite a lot when you move a player to a club who can't/won't pay what you are paying him, else no players would ever move down the ladder. 

Remember the selling club used to pay the signing on fee, about 10%, if the player didn't ask for a transfer.  Derby paid Chris Powell's when we first signed him. 
    Maybe they're not, just guesswork from both of us either way as we don't know the ins and outs of transfers. Personally I don't think there is an easy way around the cap. The EFL are as we all know pretty useless but they would have a legal team drawing up this cap and I think loopholes are going to be difficult to find. I reckon our best hope with Shinnie is that Luton pay up his contract given he is highly unlikely to ever play for them again anyway. It probably won't even work in our favour under the cap but does create another loan slot. 
  • edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

1 loan, 1 under 21 perm. 
    If they agree to pay him what they are paying anyway, it frees up a spot for another loan 
    If this is possible under the rules of the cap then great, I was under the impression it wasnt
    Right if we make a bid for Shinnie of £100 to Luton and they say yes, he is out of contract anyway so no problem.

We then say Mr Shinnie, we would like to offer you 1.7k (William's cap salary).  He replies I am very sorry Mr Bowyer but Luton are paying me 4.5k a week and have to until the end of the season, I can't accept that.

We ring Luton and say we are really sorry we can't agree personal terms, deal is off.  We are about 60k short on a 20 week contract. 

They ring Mr Shinnie and say, look aren't going to play here, nor get a new contract what can we do to smooth the transfer over?  I would like to stay at Charlton Mr Jones, if you could compensate me for ending my contract early I am sure I could agree terms.   If you pay you £60k would you consider the offer they made?

Yes I would, thank you very much Mr Jones.  Steve, its Nathan, give us 60k, not £100 and the deal is good to go.

I can't see how Charlton could be seen to be at fault here.  Clubs pay up contracts, pay loyalty bonuses for players to leave, all sorts.  The big clubs some times end up playing players fortunes to do one. 
    I don't think anyone can be sure but I'd be surprised if the EFL wouldn't investigate this. Loyalty bonuses to leave are I assume very rare. A mutual termination of the contract is fairly common but Club A paying Club B as a transfer fee, and then Club B passing that transfer fee onto the player, I cannot see it being allowed. It's clearly a way to bend the rules and I'd be extremely shocked if the EFL didn't have something within the terms to prevent it. 
    They are no where near as rare as you might imagine, it happens quite a lot when you move a player to a club who can't/won't pay what you are paying him, else no players would ever move down the ladder. 

Remember the selling club used to pay the signing on fee, about 10%, if the player didn't ask for a transfer.  Derby paid Chris Powell's when we first signed him. 
    Maybe they're not, just guesswork from both of us either way as we don't know the ins and outs of transfers. Personally I don't think there is an easy way around the cap. The EFL are as we all know pretty useless but they would have a legal team drawing up this cap and I think loopholes are going to be difficult to find. I reckon our best hope with Shinnie is that Luton pay up his contract given he is highly unlikely to ever play for them again anyway. It probably won't even work in our favour under the cap but does create another loan slot. 
    I agree. You wouldn't put in a cap that was easy to find ways around. Mind you FFP doesn't seem to have been implemented in a way that prevents clubs finding ways around it, like selling their ground to themselves!
  • edited January 2021
    RedRobin said:
    Why sell Williams and replace with a loan player? Another summer rebuild is on the way again, unless we make perm signings nothing will change. 
    I am fine with loans right now. No team rebuilds in the winter window, as most deals are poor. I don’t see any game changers available this window. I don’t see us going up this season. I just want to improve the squad a bit, not fall into a relegation situation late in the year, see where we land and then build for the long term in the summer. 
    I agree, it’s just underwhelming but understand the difficulty of the Jan window especially as we how have this cap. We should only be looking at perm signings in the summer, good free agents and one or two loans but we need a better strategy as constant rebuilds of the last couple of years have seen us fall and lose academy players for pittance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

1 loan, 1 under 21 perm. 

I agree. You wouldn't put in a cap that was easy to find ways around. Mind you FFP doesn't seem to have been implemented in a way that prevents clubs finding ways around it, like selling their ground to themselves!
    But clubs are being found guilty of breaching FFP. The biggest problem has been the ridiculous weakness by the EFL, particularly with the punishments. At some point I have no doubt one of the bigger clubs in League 1 is going to be breach the cap, will be interesting to see the punishment. 
  • edited January 2021
    As it looks like we’re signing Smith, thought I’d share a few clips. Doesn’t look too bad https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DzSDOsCYhck
  • i don't see that thee ios any way that the EFL can impose sanctions when a champ or prem club pay a player some money which effectively is making up for wages that are restricted by the cap and i also doin't think they will care because the purpose of the cap is not to be a pain in the arse, its to stop flimsy clubs from overspending and building up liabilities they cannot afford - a champ club giving a player a golden handshake as he moves into the cap zone, is not giving the league 1 club any financial burden.  
  • I actually came on to post something on the ongoing discussions regarding teams paying up contracts so we can sign them.(Shinnie)

Cant see how that would work if Shinnie is on £5k a week. He might accept a pay off from Luton but would probably want something close to want he is getting at Luton, over presumably 2 or 3 years. Getting rid of Williams on a contract that (for the salary cap calculation) is £1.7k per week is daft if you can't replace him like for like. Shinnie isn't going to accept £1.7k per week over 3 years is he. That is at least £3k per week less than he is on now......£150k pa, so £450k over 3 years. Pay Luton £500k that they pass onto him might work (if it doesnt fall foul of the EFL)

Or just do what I've been saying for months. Go over the cap & take the hit in the future......or tell the EFL we'll see them in Court under restraint of trade and/or age discrimination. 
    Nobody is talking about a long term contract, but one to the end of the season, where his Luton contract runs out anyway
  • The club are really missing a trick here, they should be selling these at the end of every transfer window in the club shop...

• did Smith play against us at The Valley the other week?
  • Pretty underwhelmed if it's true

1) It's another loan, which is hardly building for the future
    2) It's another passing midfielder. Looking at his bio on the Arsenal website, it says Matthew typically looks to operate as a deep-lying playmaker, tasked with controlling the tempo of games and picking out runners in the final third, which surely is similar to the roles of Shinnie and Morgan already, and similar to Levitt who Bowyer never played! Or the likes of Henry and Vennings in our academy

https://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/matt-smith

And while he might have played well for Swindon this season, he's hardly been a stand out player in L1 this season, That John Sheridan is prepared to give him up, so that he can bring in a loan player in another position, doesn't suggest he's a key player for them. 
  • edited January 2021
    did Smith play against us at The Valley the other week?
    Played the last 25 I believe 
  • how did Matt Smith do against us?