Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Is Williams incapable of playing 90 minutes or has bowyer never tried?

bowyer seems very set in his ways and won’t try anything different, he comes across as that guy who doesn’t like curry despite never having a curry.

I appreciate that Williams has had fitness issues but how do we know he can’t play 90 minutes without trying. The same thing was said about Aneke who has been a regular starter recently and has hit a lot more minutes under his belt
    JW manages to play 90 minutes for Wales
  • Maccn05 said:
    I think we should be looking less at getting Johnny out and more how can we get rid of Maddison.

He’s a bad egg, done nothing on the pitch and we’d get the benefit of his full wages to the cap for a replacement.

Whatever you think of him, somethings obviously gone on with Bow so I can’t see him playing again.

I’m also very interested in Thomas’s strategy. He put £12m in the bank for the running costs for 2 seasons, which is amazing but he’s also brought in £3-4m in player sales and we’ve spent £0.3m

Why aren’t we trying to use this money or a portion of it to sign the best 19/20 YO players in the EFL. We’ve clearly said we won’t pay the money for Randell I see the promised Jules going to MK. So where are we? Is there a plan B? A big push in the summer maybe?

Or has TS taken a look at the losses and lost his bottle a little since all the Prem in 5 years stuff, he’s been really quiet lately.

im not digging him out (I’ll forever be thankful) but I’m interested to see how this plays out and what the plan is.
    Think there is a fair bit of cat and mouse with Randall. I think he will sign tomorrow, but for nowhere near what Exeter want. Reckon it will be in the region of £500k with various add ons. 
  • The question re JW should be if he goes or if he stays would it make any difference to our chances of getting promoted this season ? I think even his biggest fan would say the answer to that question is not a lot. Unfortunately for us he has always flattered to deceive ( we can argue the reasons for that as long as you like ) but the facts are there. If we manage to bring any more by tomorrow night thel all good but if not we have had a decent window regardless imo
  • AndyG said:
    The question re JW should be if he goes or if he stays would it make any difference to our chances of getting promoted this season ? I think even his biggest fan would say the answer to that question is not a lot. Unfortunately for us he has always flattered to deceive ( we can argue the reasons for that as long as you like ) but the facts are there. If we manage to bring any more by tomorrow night thel all good but if not we have had a decent window regardless imo
    Cue for The Clash;

• Scoham said:
    Williams does not count towards the cap under his current contract so doesn't make sense to let him go. Might be an idea for Bowyer to figure out why a club at a higher level is interested.
    Or why he can't manager or use flair players who make games interesting . One minute people are saying how piss poor League 1 is and the next minute they are happy that the flair players are being flogged off.  Lately I have been bored by this never ending defensive stance and demands that players do duties ill fitting them.

However I am fed up with Williams' constant falling over when blown one by an opponent .

I don't know what to make of this news. 25 appearances this season apparently. 
    Is Millar not a flair player?
     One swallow does not a summer make.

Fosu
     Williams 
     Maddison 

None greatest at a tackle but is that always necessary.  

What about Doughty and Gallagher then?

Or Lyle Taylor...

Bowyer being unable to work with flair players is a myth - the difference is he sets his teams up to all work, those who dont, dont play... 
    Doughty isn't a flair player is he . He is about pace alone mostly. 

Gallagher is a midfield player who is box to box and can pass well. He also likes a tackle. 

Maddison and Fosu and Williams are flair type players.  
    Exactly a flair player is someone who is skillful with the ball

Gallagher and Aribo were perfect examples of players who could run with it, pass or shoot

The difference being is those two could do it with consistent results at the right end whilst also putting in a shit at the other

Maddison | Fosu | Williams have all thought they're too high and mighty to do the dirty work, doesnt wash down here
  • edited January 2021
    Scoham said:
    Williams does not count towards the cap under his current contract so doesn't make sense to let him go. Might be an idea for Bowyer to figure out why a club at a higher level is interested.
    Or why he can't manager or use flair players who make games interesting . One minute people are saying how piss poor League 1 is and the next minute they are happy that the flair players are being flogged off.  Lately I have been bored by this never ending defensive stance and demands that players do duties ill fitting them.

However I am fed up with Williams' constant falling over when blown one by an opponent .

Fosu
     Williams 
     Maddison 

Or Lyle Taylor...

Bowyer being unable to work with flair players is a myth - the difference is he sets his teams up to all work, those who dont, dont play... 

Gallagher is a midfield player who is box to box and can pass well. He also likes a tackle. 

Gallagher and Aribo were perfect examples of players who could run with it, pass or shoot

The difference being is those two could do it with consistent results at the right end whilst also putting in a shit at the other

Maddison | Fosu | Williams have all thought they're too high and mighty to do the dirty work, doesnt wash down here

To be fair they did put some crap in at the other end as well 😁.

• Sponsored links:

• Who doesn't love a random twitter rumour

• Scoham said:

Fosu
     Williams 
     Maddison 

Or Lyle Taylor...

That’s a massive disservice to Williams, he’s never shied away from doing the dirty work and he’s certainly not the sort of person who thinks of himself as high and mighty. 

He’s always been a model professional who does his best. He may have avoided jumping into tackles at some stages due to fear of injury, but even that’s changed under Bowyer. He’s regularly hassled and harried opponents despite his lack of strength, our goal against Brentford at home last season typified that. 

Marcus Maddison is on the other end of the spectrum. 
  • edited January 2021
    The point is, we couldn't replace Williams with somebody in Williams' bracket due to the cap. Apart from the fact we have little time to. 

I know this sounds harsh, but I put Charlton above Williams' Euro place. Whatever you think of him, you have to accept that we might need him and replacing him at this time doesn't make sense.
  • MattF said:
    Who doesn't love a random twitter rumour

Remember there was links to Miguel Azeez in the summer but he's an out and out CM. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MattF said:

Remember there was links to Miguel Azeez in the summer but he's an out and out CM. 
    Which is a position we need
  • mart77 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MattF said:

Which is a position we need
    Oh definitely, just wondering with us on 5 loans already who would miss out? Arsenal are going to want whoever it is to be a regular.
  • The point is, we couldn't replace Williams with somebody in Williams' bracket due to the cap. Apart from the fact we have little time to. 

I know this sounds harsh, but I put Charlton above Williams' Euro place. Whatever you think of him, you have to accept that we might need him and replacing him at this time doesn't make sense.
    Depends who the replacement is.
  • The point is, we couldn't replace Williams with somebody in Williams' bracket due to the cap. Apart from the fact we have little time to. 

But why? What does he actually bring? This is the central dilemma of Williams. He's clearly got talent but the numbers just aren't there. There's very little in the way of goals or assists.
  • Well, I might say to McCarthy, We are not the Cardiff City benevolent society. If you want him, how can you help us get promoted in return?
  • RC_CAFC said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Williams counts as far as I’m aware but only the part up to what the cap average is for the squad. The rest is over looked by the EFL as he was already under contract.
    they don’t just ignore his whole salary.
    So you are saying that his salary counts approx £2,500 a week (the average if you divide the cap total with the number of players allowed) to us but anything over that isn’t included as his salary was sorted before the cap came in?

Genuinely asking as I still don’t think I have this fully worked out what does and doesn’t count in my head.
    That’s my understanding.
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:

Not giving much away then lol
  • edited January 2021
    CafcSCP said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Williams counts as far as I’m aware but only the part up to what the cap average is for the squad. The rest is over looked by the EFL as he was already under contract.
    they don’t just ignore his whole salary.
    So you are saying that his salary counts approx £2,500 a week (the average if you divide the cap total with the number of players allowed) to us but anything over that isn’t included as his salary was sorted before the cap came in?

Genuinely asking as I still don’t think I have this fully worked out what does and doesn’t count in my head.
    That’s my understanding.
    It's wrong. Any player that was here prior to the cap initiation will be averaged at £1,700 this season. The league average salary at the point of calculation of the cap. 

• The bottom line is they are counted as being significantly cheaper than they are and the reason for this is to stop clubs falling foul of the cap due to existing contracts they can't do anything about. 
  • RedRobin said:
    MattF said:

Sounds like Arsenal are recalling a young centre back Zech Medley on loan to Gillingham as he hasn't been getting in the team....

• If Williams goes we will sign Shinnie on a free on a 6 month contract.  

1 loan, 1 under 21 perm. 
  • Southbank said:
    Our standards have slipped so much that we think it is normal and acceptable to have key players who cannot last 90m, like Aneke, Maddison  and Williams. It is not normal and you can't expect promotion with half fit players. We have got used to it because of the crap owners, time to move on. 
    Or we have a manager who can't abide to keep flair players on the field for that long? Maddison played almost 90m against Wimbledon. People seem to have made up their minds about him though.
  • BFG94 said:
    No point in selling Jonny if there's no replacement. Having said that, I would keep him anyway. OK, he might not score and does not have a lot of assists to his name but he scares the hell out of opposing defenders, opening up space for others when he is on ball and winning us a lot of free-kicks. Not his fault a lot of those free-kicks are wasted.
    We bid for a Prem U23 winger on Friday (I know for a fact, but it didn’t happen. 
    Looks like JW will be gone Monday. 

Who was it
  • RedRobin said:
    MattF said:

Matt Smith, as I previously said.
  • Shrew said:
    RedRobin said:
    MattF said:

Sounds like Arsenal are recalling a young centre back Zech Medley on loan to Gillingham as he hasn't been getting in the team....

They recalled him a couple of weeks ago and he looks like a very decent prospect tbf.  Whether he is what we are looking for remains to be seen but he is certainly not a bad player
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    If Williams goes we will sign Shinnie on a free on a 6 month contract.  

1 loan, 1 under 21 perm. 
    Why would we do this... Luton are paying 80% of his wages.