Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• I think Bowyer’s settling on a midfield of 

JFC/Pratley/Watson taking one or two roles in the centre of midfield, depending on whether or not we play a diamond or flat 4-4-2.

I think he likes Shinnie a lot and would start him when fit, along with Millar operating on the left if we play a flat 4-4-2 or at the tip of the diamond.

After that he’s looking at Morgan and Gilbey and perhaps rotating them in for the odd game, but more than likely occupying the bench.  

It’s difficult to predict as we seem to make changes every week.  The only 2 that are nailed on imo to start every game at the moment are Pratley and JFC (rightly or wrongly).  Shinnie I expect to be added to those 2 now getting back to fitness, and Millar has impressed.  So that may constitute our midfield moving forward.

If Williams stays, I’d say he’s got a job on his hands to get into Bowyer’s plans.  God knows where this leaves Maddison 
  • any good management  team would not only plan for arrivals in a transfer window but also for the possibilities of the club being approached "sell" players and will have a plan in place. I am not ITK but guess that Gallen has planned for this eventuality but whether we has the time to effect it is another matter.
  • Whatever we get for Johnny add it to whatever we’ve offered for Randall. We have TS in now & he has talked the talk but we still aren’t pushing the boat out! A good finish to this window could see us really kick on! 
  • edited January 2021
    I want us to keep Williams, he is a good player but LB doesn't use him enough. Its ok buying Randall but how do we know he can deliver at League 1 level, he's not been above League 2. I agree with some others that we keep Williams and buy Randall, offer JW a new contract now and have Randall as the new project.
  • Maddison can be the new Williams for us, minus the smiles.
  • edited January 2021
    cabbles said:
    I think Bowyer’s settling on a midfield of 

JFC/Pratley/Watson taking one or two roles in the centre of midfield, depending on whether or not we play a diamond or flat 4-4-2.

I think he likes Shinnie a lot and would start him when fit, along with Millar operating on the left if we play a flat 4-4-2 or at the tip of the diamond.

After that he’s looking at Morgan and Gilbey and perhaps rotating them in for the odd game, but more than likely occupying the bench.  

It’s difficult to predict as we seem to make changes every week.  The only 2 that are nailed on imo to start every game at the moment are Pratley and JFC (rightly or wrongly).  Shinnie I expect to be added to those 2 now getting back to fitness, and Millar has impressed.  So that may constitute our midfield moving forward.

If Williams stays, I’d say he’s got a job on his hands to get into Bowyer’s plans.  God knows where this leaves Maddison 
    IMO the times when we have played well (most of 2019) under Bowyer we have played a diamond and when we have struggled (most of 2020) we haven't.  The majority of this squad is perfect for that formation.  I am convinced that the emergence of Doughty clouded that. 

But now we have Pratley and Watson to cover the base, Shinnie, JFC, Morgan and Gilbey for the sides and Millar and Williams for the tip.  Any combination should be easily good enough for league 1.

I honestly don't see the point of letting Williams go, especially if we are going to play the diamond. 
  • On rumours, I see Rotherham have paid up defender Adam Thompsons contract. Warne was alluding to us recently re having problems with the salary cap. Could he be the centre half @DOUCHER is referring to?
  • Valley11 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Alfie £650,000
    Money left over from Bonne £1.5m
    Bogle £100k
    Lapsile £100k
    Williams?.

Can anyone see us spending tomorrow?.
    I thought Sandgaard already said that the Bonne money went back in to run the club day-to-day. 
    I am not making any comparisons but can you imagine what the reaction would have been if our Belgium friend sold 5 players and replaced them with frees and loans and used the fees to cover some of the day-to-day costs? 
    Not making any comparisons but then did exactly that.
    We all know the reasons he can’t splash the cash - the cap - and the sales have been players Bowyer has wanted to or agreed to move on. 

Nothing like Roland’s reign.
    I know it's not
  • Sponsored links:

• On rumours, I see Rotherham have paid up defender Adam Thompsons contract. Warne was alluding to us recently re having problems with the salary cap. Could he be the centre half @DOUCHER is referring to?
    He’s joined Leyton Orient
  • Williams will not be offered another contract, you can be pretty certain of that. If he has a chance to go to Cardiff it would be in the clubs interest to let him go, it frees up a wage for a player who is easily replaced and maybe allows us to bring someone in.
  • edited January 2021
    I have mixed feelings about moving Jonny on tbh, I adore the bloke as a person but he’s hot and cold when it comes to performance. If selling him brings in a couple hundred K plus frees up £5k a week and we bring in a good player then all for it. Pointless selling if we don’t replace with better. 
  • Is Williams incapable of playing 90 minutes or has bowyer never tried?

bowyer seems very set in his ways and won’t try anything different, he comes across as that guy who doesn’t like curry despite never having a curry.

I appreciate that Williams has had fitness issues but how do we know he can’t play 90 minutes without trying. The same thing was said about Aneke who has been a regular starter recently and has hit a lot more minutes under his belt
  • Williams does bring energy to the pitch and is decent at carrying the ball.

However, he hasnt chipped in with enough goals or even assists. IF we can get a similar player who can do more in the final third then its a no brainer.

As a team we need to be constantly looking to upgrade on what we have if they dont improve to the level the coaching staff expect. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    I have mixed feelings moving Jonny on tbh, I adore the bloke as a person but he’s hot and cold when it comes to performance. If selling him brings in a couple hundred K plus frees up £5k a week and we bring in a good player then all for it. Pointless selling if we don’t replace with better. 
    Remember for the cap he only counts as 1.7k a week. 
    Great 😂 this cap is ridiculous.
  • Is Williams incapable of playing 90 minutes or has bowyer never tried?

bowyer seems very set in his ways and won’t try anything different, he comes across as that guy who doesn’t like curry despite never having a curry.

I appreciate that Williams has had fitness issues but how do we know he can’t play 90 minutes without trying. The same thing was said about Aneke who has been a regular starter recently and has hit a lot more minutes under his belt
    He seems to regularly play more than an hour for Wales, even in his best game for us (against Leeds last season) he was hooked after 56 minutes.  Its almost like Bowyer is so worried about him getting injured and managing his minutes he has forgotten to play him. 
  • Will be the end of us having games called off due to internationals for a while.
    You imagine Gunter and Washington will still be called up, so we'll have to cope without them
  • Sponsored links:

• I still think we’ll field offers for players like Chuks tomorrow. I really like JW but it was obvious when we talked about juggling things that he would be a player who could be sacrificed. Still think Bows wants at least 3 players in. Going to be a real balancing act and unlike other deadline days I think we’ll be very much in the action. 
  • I think if we have an offer for him we should let him go and I feel that may be the best option for him and us. I really like JW but he is a luxury player that I think we can cope without
  • RedRobin said:
    I have mixed feelings about moving Jonny on tbh, I adore the bloke as a person but he’s hot and cold when it comes to performance. If selling him brings in a couple hundred K plus frees up £5k a week and we bring in a good player then all for it. Pointless selling if we don’t replace with better. 
    Same for me. You want him do do well, and are always expecting him to be the stand out player - but it never happens. When he comes on as a sub and we are struggling, I always have the feeling that he can turn the game, but he rarely does. 
  • edited January 2021
    Is Williams incapable of playing 90 minutes or has bowyer never tried?

This stuff comes from the medical team. Pointless blaming the manager. 
  • Jonny Williams is the sort of guy and footballer that you want to do well no matter what shirt he’s wearing, but for us I think we’ll cope without him so if the offer is good enough and we have a replacement lined up then we should let him go.
  • edited January 2021
    Jonny Williams is the sort of guy and footballer that you want to do well no matter what shirt he’s wearing, but for us I think we’ll cope without him so if the offer is good enough and we have a replacement lined up then we should let him go.
    Have Cardiff got a spare CH they would trade and could this be the CH Doucher was alluding too?

Sol Bamba?
  • I would move on Williams. For an attacking midfielder he doesn’t contribute enough with goals and assists. Good at drawing fouls and playing with a smile on his face but that’s about it to be honest. I personally would have him below Maddison, Morgan, and even Millar in the attacking midfield role.

For comparison...
    Williams: 66 appearances, 2 goals, 6 assists
    Morgan: 59 appearances, 2 goals, 10 assists.