Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• If we're potentially bringing in another winger/wide midfielder, you wonder how much game time Williams will get anyway, other than the odd cameo appearance from the bench
  • SG and Bows made it clear we are shuffling the pack. As I’ve said previously I believe Williams is a player we will let leave if it helps us improve a team that Bows no longer sees JW as a regular starter in.
  • Let's not also forget that we have £X of wages from selling Bogle & sending Smyth back - that is if we are paying any of Smyth's wages which I suspect we are. That gives us a certain category of player to aim for on a perm. Add William's £X of wages to that, you could probably open the door to better players who aren't getting regular game time. I imagine a good chunk of that went on Stockley but if Williams isn't a regular starter, no harm done for me.

Interesting to see how we do.
  • Sage said:
    Just to clarify things, Williams has not been injured this season. I think he came back from international duty in November with a slight problem but that was cleared in a week or so.

In the 7 games he has started this season, we have picked up 18 points.

I personally think we are a better team when he’s playing, alongside players like Shinnie too. If we could find a way of playing Williams, Shinnie, Millar, and Aneke all in the same team, we will win far more than we don’t.

Last season he started 9 of our first 12 games where we picked up 21 points. He then got a meniscus injury and we picked up 7 points from the next 14 until he was back in the squad.

Some have their own opinions and that’s fine. For me, I would love him to stay, I think with a run of games he will shine and push us on to being a much better side, he’s a class above when he does, but that’s my own opinion.
    It’s so tricky as I agree with all you say Sage and I believe Williams is one of our most able players.  I really think that a midfield of Millar, JFC, Shinnie and Williams is so good at this level.

I think (taking the lure of championship football away and basing it purely about Charlton) it’ll come down to whether Bowyer has the time and sees this as an opportunity to perhaps get a player of a Calibre he wouldn’t have previously been able to who would have a longer term future at the club.

I hope if this does happen, it at least opens up an exciting option for the club
  • mart77 said:
    SG and Bows made it clear we are shuffling the pack. As I’ve said previously I believe Williams is a player we will let leave if it helps us improve a team that Bows no longer sees JW as a regular starter in.
    Personally think it would be hard to improve the team by getting rid. There is a caveat to this though, the short term to the end of this season I'd be very surprised if by getting rid of Williams we could bring in someone better. In the longer term getting rid and bringing in someone we could tie down to a long term deal and try and negotiate the cap for next season at the same time then it is better for the team.

If Bowyer and Gallen have initiated this it says a lot about their confidence in this season. Business wise and a team more capable for promotion next season then it makes sense. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    i saw enough of stockley in the first 5 minutes the other night to know he is a massive upgrade on bogle 
    Become a scout then...15 minutes is not enough.  George Weah's cousin is the only player to have been judge in 15 minutes and even then Southampton didn't spot he was poor during 2 weeks of training. 
    Are you Omar’s dad?
    Are you a writer of stupid questions. 
    Can you take the Bogle stuff to the Bogle thread? Reading a never ending argument about whether he was really shite or just a bit shite is boring.
    Have you a vocabulary that is larger than a couple of crude descriptive adjectives ? 
    For goodness sake, @addick1956 just let it go, eh?

• Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    i saw enough of stockley in the first 5 minutes the other night to know he is a massive upgrade on bogle 
    Become a scout then...15 minutes is not enough.  George Weah's cousin is the only player to have been judge in 15 minutes and even then Southampton didn't spot he was poor during 2 weeks of training. 
    Are you Omar’s dad?
    Are you a writer of stupid questions. 
    Can you take the Bogle stuff to the Bogle thread? Reading a never ending argument about whether he was really shite or just a bit shite is boring.
    Have you a vocabulary that is larger than a couple of crude descriptive adjectives ? 

Kettle pot black. Have you ever checked your spelling ?
  • Sage said:
    Just to clarify things, Williams has not been injured this season. I think he came back from international duty in November with a slight problem but that was cleared in a week or so.

In the 7 games he has started this season, we have picked up 18 points.

I personally think we are a better team when he’s playing, alongside players like Shinnie too. If we could find a way of playing Williams, Shinnie, Millar, and Aneke all in the same team, we will win far more than we don’t.

Last season he started 9 of our first 12 games where we picked up 21 points. He then got a meniscus injury and we picked up 7 points from the next 14 until he was back in the squad.

Some have their own opinions and that’s fine. For me, I would love him to stay, I think with a run of games he will shine and push us on to being a much better side, he’s a class above when he does, but that’s my own opinion.
    Exactly, nothing to do with he can't play a full game as we see when he plays for Wales. Bowyer just doesn't want him it appears. Even when he was outstanding (can't remember the game, was it Wimbledon ?) he was dropped for the next game. I think this is part of the reason for our patchy form, too much tinkering, we need to pick our best team & give them a run. Even Curbishley  mentioned this to Bowyer, didn't do much good though. 
  • Have to ask....

Since TS's arrival.... have we been net sellers of players? Seems like it if you look at the money in and out.
  • Have to ask....

Since TS's arrival.... have we been net sellers of players? Seems like it if you look at the money in and out.
    I would say that’s possible but obviously that’s largely down to the cap. As has been said, Thomas could give us all the money in the world and we couldn’t spend it. 
  • Have to ask....

I would say that’s possible but obviously that’s largely down to the cap. As has been said, Thomas could give us all the money in the world and we couldn’t spend it. 
    Well he could if the rumours about Randall are true. We bid 600k but they want a lot more for him.
  • edited January 2021
    A very smart move if true. He's gone in six months anyway and he spends most of his time on the bench. Get someone in who will improve us long term and it's a no brainer. 

He's been coasting for a long time. A move might be good for him, too. 
  • I would love to know how many games Williams has started as a 10 since November 2019.  I don't think it's a lot. 

This injury last season was a direct result of being kicked, a lot, it's not he just "broke down".  He was in our handful of best players pre injury yet hasn't established him self back in the team since. 

If you don't play him as a 10 you might as well play someone else.

Not suprised he has been linked to a championship club because he is clearly a championship player, in one specific position.  He certainly isn't "league 1" at best. 
  • edited January 2021
    It’s a strange one with Williams as another manager will get him playing really well, but he’s had plenty of chances and hasn’t really happened for him since they injury against Derby.  For all Bowyer rotation. JFC has started a 11 games in a row showing players can work themselves into a permanent place in the team.

Both JFC and Morgan have jumped above him in the pecking order now and can’t see him getting a huge run of games in a midfield now. Personally hope that he gets a move and plays well so he can secure a spot in the Wales teams at Euros.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55873156

I think he will go but as we are saying, its very late in the day that unless we have a replacement ready then we are just going to make ourselves weaker for the final 21 games.

Doucher does make a good point that we could use this to improve our team and not the bench strength. This is effectively where Bows sees his main role, as a player to rotate. 
  • Have to ask....

Well he could if the rumours about Randall are true. We bid 600k but they want a lot more for him.
    Well, we didn't push the boat out to get Sorba Thomas and I reckon the fee there would have been less than £500k. 
  • For the sake of 100ish k I would rather let him go on loan.  If it let's us bring in someone else that improves us this season.

We can't keep him next season of we don't go up but if we do we are going to need about 15 new players.  I doubt, even in the championship, we could get either a better back up 10 or a first choice for our plan B formation? 
  • Don’t go Jonny...😭😭
  • Don't sell him, for £200k there's literally no point with one day left in the window.

If we do sell let's hope we have a replacement through the door first