Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Let’s not forget if Cardiff want him, they’ll probably get him. They’re an established Championship club who can afford to have a bit part player sit on the bench and he’ll have a better chance of securing his place in the Wales Euros squad playing Championship football. Plus you have to think about the fact he’s out of contract this summer with us whereas Cardiff are likely to offer an 18 month deal as a minimum.
  • We should only let him go if we've got a replacement lined-up and it's a good deal for the club.
  • Williams does not count towards the cap under his current contract so doesn't make sense to let him go. Might be an idea for Bowyer to figure out why a club at a higher level is interested.
    Or you could ask why weren’t clubs at a higher level fighting to sign him when he would have been free in the summer. Unlike us they’re not limited by a salary cap so they can afford to have players in their squad who can’t regularly play 90 minutes.

He does count under the cap, his wage counts as the average. 
  • With Williams contract up at the end of the season I expect their to be little to no fee for him going their. 
  • With Williams contract up at the end of the season I expect their to be little to no fee for him going their. 
    I’ve seen 200k mentioned. Potentially even less 
  • edited January 2021
    With Williams contract up at the end of the season I expect their to be little to no fee for him going their. 
    But if they really want him and we don't want to lose him then they have to sweeten the deal. Whilst they are bang mid table if they want to go on a run to get to the play offs or not get sucked into relegation, then £500k* is a small amount for your top target. 

*I suspect it will be less than this though, if he goes.
  • No one's mentioned that this move might help Johnnie go to the Euros. I think we should only let him go if a replacement comes in.

Bow wants a winger shame Jordan Jones went to Sunderland. 
  • Having a feeling of déjà vu from last January's window. Matt Smith, but this one's from Arsenal.
  • edited January 2021
    Having a feeling of déjà vu from last January's window. Matt Smith, but this one's from Arsenal.
    Oh thats going to be hilarious watching the meltdown on twitter before people realise its not the same bloke

Although reading Sheridan's comments it sounds like this Matt Smith isnt getting game time because even they want another Midfielder in

John Sheridan revealed Town have been considering sending Smith back to North London early, many fans have been wondering why the Swindon boss would get rid of one of the club’s standout players.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/19046523.arsenals-matt-smith-may-loan-cut-short-swindon-sign-new-midfielder/
  • Ferryman said:
    No one's mentioned that this move might help Johnnie go to the Euros. I think we should only let him go if a replacement comes in.

Bow wants a winger shame Jordan Jones went to Sunderland. 
    Very good point! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Having a feeling of déjà vu from last January's window. Matt Smith, but this one's from Arsenal.
    Oh thats going to be hilarious watching the meltdown on twitter before people realise its not the same bloke
    He picked up a cup winners medal without making a first team appearance apparently, loan recall from Swindon scored 2 in 24 so he's match fit 😲.
  • If we don’t need to let him go to strengthen the team we should keep him for when the weather gets warmer and the pitches start to firm up and his contribution to the game increases and we are facing the run in to the end of the season 

Although reading Sheridan's comments it sounds like this Matt Smith isnt getting game time because even they want another Midfielder in

John Sheridan revealed Town have been considering sending Smith back to North London early, many fans have been wondering why the Swindon boss would get rid of one of the club’s standout players.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/19046523.arsenals-matt-smith-may-loan-cut-short-swindon-sign-new-midfielder/
    Bizarre that Swindon had 3 Smiths on loan in the first half of the season, Tyler, Matt and Jonny!
  • I can see both sides of the Williams argument.

Likeable guy, apparently always trains well, experienced at a higher level than we're at.

But on the flip side of that is where does he fit into our team and his record is poor. He's started 36 games for us, made another 26 sub appearances, totalling well over 3000 minutes on the pitch. He's an attacking midfielder. And he's scored TWICE. 

Ben Purrington joined us 1 week after Williams, he's a left back. And he's got 5 goals for us!
  • I am not saying I am adverse to getting another loan in. But I wouldn't want Williams' replacement to be a loan. If he IS to go, I would want a proper investment player for the club. Tomorrow all of a sudden looks like it could be a busy day.
  • Dizzle said:
    With Williams contract up at the end of the season I expect their to be little to no fee for him going their. 
    I’ve seen 200k mentioned. Potentially even less 
    I think that would be the max we’d get. They know the contract situation and that he doesn’t start. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    I am not saying I am adverse to getting another loan in. But I wouldn't want Williams' replacement to be a loan. If he IS to go, I would want a proper investment player for the club. Tomorrow all of a sudden looks like it could be a busy day.
    I agree, I think a statement signing at this point can do you the world of good 
  • Williams does not count towards the cap under his current contract so doesn't make sense to let him go. Might be an idea for Bowyer to figure out why a club at a higher level is interested.
    Or why he can't manager or use flair players who make games interesting . One minute people are saying how piss poor League 1 is and the next minute they are happy that the flair players are being flogged off.  Lately I have been bored by this never ending defensive stance and demands that players do duties ill fitting them.

However I am fed up with Williams' constant falling over when blown one by an opponent .

I don't know what to make of this news. 25 appearances this season apparently. 
    Is Millar not a flair player?
  • Can't see us getting more then £200k for Bogle and George.
    I'd be surprised if we got anywhere near £200k for George

Got to remember how much we paid for Purrington as an example, we also signed Schwartz for about £300k
    George and Bogle.
    Thought they were both "released" ie free transfers
  • I like Jonny, bit think we have to listen to any offers.
    Quite how he's managing to attract higher level clubs with his woeful scoring record is quite beyond me. He blows hot and cold far too often.

I wasn't happy with his last performance and saw a few examples of him hiding. Calling for the ball when he's got a line of 4 opposition players in a line between him and the ball is a classic example. It's the kind of thing I give pelters to my 14 yo about.

I just don't think he fits with what Bowyer is trying to achieve. This is a different animal to 2018 when we had the players that could carry him
  • Sponsored links:

• BFG94 said:
    No point in selling Jonny if there's no replacement. Having said that, I would keep him anyway. OK, he might not score and does not have a lot of assists to his name but he scares the hell out of opposing defenders, opening up space for others when he is on ball and winning us a lot of free-kicks. Not his fault a lot of those free-kicks are wasted.
    We bid for a Prem U23 winger on Friday (I know for a fact, but it didn’t happen. 
    Looks like JW will be gone Monday. 

• cafctom said:
    I don’t read too much into the ‘how many goals and assists’ argument, as it’s a bit too simplistic a way of debating a player of Williams’ role.

If we had strikers that could finish better, then Williams’ assist rate would be much higher.

If Williams wasn’t left on the bench so often, then his numbers would be higher.

A player of his quality in League One is very,  very rare and I think Bowyer has to take responsibility for not getting the best out of that opportunity. The team should have been built around him this season, but nope, all about Pratley. 
    You can blame players around him for his lack of goal contributions but when you see Purrington has twice as many goals in 20 less games I think your argument goes out the window.

• BFG94 said:
    No point in selling Jonny if there's no replacement. Having said that, I would keep him anyway. OK, he might not score and does not have a lot of assists to his name but he scares the hell out of opposing defenders, opening up space for others when he is on ball and winning us a lot of free-kicks. Not his fault a lot of those free-kicks are wasted.
    We bid for a Prem U23 winger on Friday (I know for a fact, but it didn’t happen. 

Did the player move elsewhere Phil?
  • BFG94 said:

If we bid for a Prem U23 on Friday but didn't get him, why would we let JW go? No point losing another player without a cast iron replacement in through the doors!
  • I wonder if he’s been aware of interest and him pulling out of that tackle the other week is him not wanting to risk the move?

if he does go, i’m not too fussed about losing him, I don’t think he is doing anything that we’ll particularly miss.

• cafctom said:
    I don’t read too much into the ‘how many goals and assists’ argument, as it’s a bit too simplistic a way of debating a player of Williams’ role.

If we had strikers that could finish better, then Williams’ assist rate would be much higher.

If Williams wasn’t left on the bench so often, then his numbers would be higher.

A player of his quality in League One is very,  very rare and I think Bowyer has to take responsibility for not getting the best out of that opportunity. The team should have been built around him this season, but nope, all about Pratley. 
    Firstly, and possibly to his detriment depending on your point of view, I don't think that Bowyer believes in building a team around anyone.

Secondly, you can't build a team around a player who spends as much time injured as Williams is. Can you imagine the backlash if he had and Williams got crocked?
  • Maccn05 said:
    I think we should be looking less at getting Johnny out and more how can we get rid of Maddison.

He’s a bad egg, done nothing on the pitch and we’d get the benefit of his full wages to the cap for a replacement.

Whatever you think of him, somethings obviously gone on with Bow so I can’t see him playing again.

I’m also very interested in Thomas’s strategy. He put £12m in the bank for the running costs for 2 seasons, which is amazing but he’s also brought in £3-4m in player sales and we’ve spent £0.3m

Why aren’t we trying to use this money or a portion of it to sign the best 19/20 YO players in the EFL. We’ve clearly said we won’t pay the money for Randell I see the promised Jules going to MK. So where are we? Is there a plan B? A big push in the summer maybe?

Or has TS taken a look at the losses and lost his bottle a little since all the Prem in 5 years stuff, he’s been really quiet lately.

im not digging him out (I’ll forever be thankful) but I’m interested to see how this plays out and what the plan is.
    The lack of matchday revenue is going to be a big factor behind where that £3-4m is going though

Signing youngsters may well be an approach in the summer when we can have a full preseason under Sandgaard to properly organise and build a team that can last, rather than what we've endured for so long which is a team that seems to last a year before being broken up again