Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Whilst i think most people on here would agree we need another centre back i think we've had a good window so far.

OUTS:
    Doughty (didn't want to sign a new deal, injured for months anyway)
    Lapslie (well liked but probably ultimately not at the level we aspire to be)
    Bogle (not good enough)
    Smyth (decent squad player but not our decision that QPR wanted to recall him)

INS:
    Millar (promising start, one of our better players this month)
    Schwartz (needed an extra striker, just need to ensure we get him some service)
    Stockley (definite upgrade on Bogle)

Yep, I agree.
  • They'll be a change to it, particularly when Championship players have overloaded their squads with average players and need to offload their wages but can't due to the cap
  • They'll be a change to it, particularly when Championship players have overloaded their squads with average players and need to offload their wages but can't due to the cap
    Some of the sides in the championship relegation battle , the likes of Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Forest would massively struggle to get anywhere near the cap. 

I just can't see how the cap can last past this season after the Championship threw it out as an idea, the PFA will get involved along with the bigger clubs hopefully. 
  • I don’t remember anything about the cap being reduced to £2m, as far as I know the only change in future seasons are squad sizes being reduced.

https://footballleaguefc.com/league-one-and-league-two-squad-salary-cap-all-you-need-to-know/

Are there any Squad size limits in place?

League One and League Two clubs will be limited their squad size to 22 players for the 2020/21 season.

This will be reduced to 21 and 20 in subsequent seasons (2021/22 and 2022/23 season respectively).

Players aged under the age of 20 are exempt from these restriction

• Scoham said:
    I don’t remember anything about the cap being reduced to £2m, as far as I know the only change in future seasons are squad sizes being reduced.

https://footballleaguefc.com/league-one-and-league-two-squad-salary-cap-all-you-need-to-know/

League One and League Two clubs will be limited their squad size to 22 players for the 2020/21 season.

This will be reduced to 21 and 20 in subsequent seasons (2021/22 and 2022/23 season respectively).

I thought I'd seen something about size limits on squads. That's going to make things even tougher for free agents.
  • edited January 2021
    Whilst i think most people on here would agree we need another centre back i think we've had a good window so far.

OUTS:
    Doughty (didn't want to sign a new deal, injured for months anyway)
    Lapslie (well liked but probably ultimately not at the level we aspire to be)
    Bogle (not good enough)
    Smyth (decent squad player but not our decision that QPR wanted to recall him)

INS:
    Millar (promising start, one of our better players this month)
    Schwartz (needed an extra striker, just need to ensure we get him some service)
    Stockley (definite upgrade on Bogle)

I even question if we need an actual Centre-Back (despite having been a firm caller for one myself all winter) - Is it the actual defence thats been the problem, or is it a bit like when you need a solid defence to protect the Goalkeeper, you also need a decent player in front of the defence

Both Pratley and Watson are decent enough in most games but in enough their age has been against them
  • This cap is farce,TS would willingly cover a wage bill of £5m p.a.totally unfair,and just playing into the hands of the smaller clubs who now compete on level terms with the larger clubs.You could envisage,Lincon,Accrington,Doncaster going up(no disrespect to these clubs)Derby Sheff Wed,Forest coming down,and then be stuck with a wage cap.So thats them stuffed,complete player clear out.Eventually league 1 will become stronger than the Championship.Also if players can only earn 1.5 to 2k per week(I know its a fare wage but not for ever)how many will just not bother wlth being a full time pro if they can earn say 50k a year and also play part time.It will not be worth committing to a short term career with all the pitfalls involved(Injuries ,moving about).
  • But...when is the next vote for the cap to remain or take a temporary holiday? Is there even one? If not, we are just guessing that it will magically be nulled, and in writing it states things are to get stricter next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    The cap has to go. It’s a joke and even more so when the Championship completely disregarded it. They rushed it through at the beginning with no thought, all because they were thinking about what we could do to make it look like we are trying to protect our clubs in the lower divisions.

The limit on the cap is ridiculous, when you know it factors in absolutely everything. Then they’re restricting the number of players you can actually have in the squad above a certain age which is too young.

You’re going to have so many players out of contract who want a club, and a club wants them, but they simply cannot sign for anyone because of the cap.

It’s a restriction of trade and I just don’t see how they can continue with it. Too many are now against it when they were likely the ones who voted for it in the first place.

It only went through by one vote. I just can’t see it being here next season.
    @sage is there an official list somewhere of who voted yes/no for this wage cap in League 1?
  • Scoham said:
    I don’t remember anything about the cap being reduced to £2m, as far as I know the only change in future seasons are squad sizes being reduced.

It'll probably be scrapped by then but how on earth did that get voted in?

A 46 game season and they want clubs to get by with a squad of 20 with U20 players exempt. 
    PL clubs moan about a 38 game season and they have squads of 25 with U21 players exempt.

I can see the argument that it will help (or force) clubs to promote youth players but a 20 man squad is very low.
  • I’d love to know what clubs were for/against the cap.

The problem is, if Accrington go up this season it can be seen as ‘successful’. If anything I would’ve thought most clubs finishing outside the top 10 would vote for it to give themselves a greater chance.

At the end of the day, football isn’t a fair game, so I don’t know why the EFL are trying to pretend it is. We’ve been shit on many times over the last few years, I’d have no problem with the cap going and us buying the league.
  • edited January 2021
    Laddick01 said:
    I’d love to know what clubs were for/against the cap.

The problem is, if Accrington go up this season it can be seen as ‘successful’. If anything I would’ve thought most clubs finishing outside the top 10 would vote for it to give themselves a greater chance.

At the end of the day, football isn’t a fair game, so I don’t know why the EFL are trying to pretend it is. We’ve been shit on many times over the last few years, I’d have no problem with the cap going and us buying the league.
    Dunno if Accrington and Lincoln voted against it and then go up, that could heavily swing the vote towards getting rid of it

You'll have three teams that come down from the Championship and I'd be surprised if any of those will vote for the cap, well maybe Wycombe, but even then they're no doubt experiencing the difficulties of sending their players out on loan so may be against it themselves

Suddenly there is a one vote swing to get rid of it rather than a one vote swing to introduce it

Only factor is the other end of the tablke where we may need Wigan to survive themselves, but then you've got Salford currently in the League Two Play-Offs and cant see them being in favour of restrictions given their attitude so far to spending
  • Exactly @Laddick01. I don't quite get the logic being applied by the more well-respected members about this topic. 

The cap was implemented as it won the majority vote, albeit by one vote. Ourselves and from what I've noticed a handful (at most) of clubs are publically referencing the cap working against them. There has not really been much noise from other clubs has there? 

So, why are you/we so confident that upon a re-vote at the end of the season, there is little chance that it will remain? Thinking from the heart I'd say ;)
  • Good to see another thread talking about everything else other than the thread title;)
  • As we have gone off on a tangent I'll pitch in as well. 

The "cap" is totally un workable in its current form.  It appears to me that the "lower league" clubs panicked and said with out fans we are going to need some sort of government/FA/EPL bail out.  We can't be seen to be paying players a fortune we need to do something quickly.

It's almost enforced Rolandisum on every club in the divison.  The system now would make it impossible to give an Aribo a contract extension.

Without turning this into a political conversation I can't believe that no one has pointed that the end result is massive job losses for British footballers. In real terms. There is no way the premier league is going to allow a restriction on foreign players, you can argue if that's a good thing or not else where.  But the truth is its British players that will loose out and they no longer have "jobs" available else where. 
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    The cap has to go. It’s a joke and even more so when the Championship completely disregarded it. They rushed it through at the beginning with no thought, all because they were thinking about what we could do to make it look like we are trying to protect our clubs in the lower divisions.

The limit on the cap is ridiculous, when you know it factors in absolutely everything. Then they’re restricting the number of players you can actually have in the squad above a certain age which is too young.

You’re going to have so many players out of contract who want a club, and a club wants them, but they simply cannot sign for anyone because of the cap.

It’s a restriction of trade and I just don’t see how they can continue with it. Too many are now against it when they were likely the ones who voted for it in the first place.

It only went through by one vote. I just can’t see it being here next season.
    @sage is there an official list somewhere of who voted yes/no for this wage cap in League 1?
    I don’t believe so but you can do some research and probably find enough about it. Accrington voted for, the majority of northern clubs did. Us, Sunderland, Peterborough, Hull, all voted against as far as I can tell.

I also believe the next meeting at the end of the season is when they’ll decide. Hopefully that won’t be too late before we lose players. You’d expect it to be in June.
    Thanks mate. 
  • Sponsored links:

• This cap is farce,TS would willingly cover a wage bill of £5m p.a.totally unfair,and just playing into the hands of the smaller clubs who now compete on level terms with the larger clubs.You could envisage,Lincon,Accrington,Doncaster going up(no disrespect to these clubs)Derby Sheff Wed,Forest coming down,and then be stuck with a wage cap.So thats them stuffed,complete player clear out.Eventually league 1 will become stronger than the Championship.Also if players can only earn 1.5 to 2k per week(I know its a fare wage but not for ever)how many will just not bother wlth being a full time pro if they can earn say 50k a year and also play part time.It will not be worth committing to a short term career with all the pitfalls involved(Injuries ,moving about).
    The CAP is a brilliant idea that only has one flaw. It’s bollocks.

Championship clubs will now just plan for relegation better than before. Maybe a relegation bonus if you agree to see out your contract? Players will not be allowed to just leave because it suits them and I am sure that contracts will state that either way. The advantage will mean that the odds of them going straight back up will be significantly greater. The 1st division will become sterile.

Smaller teams youth teams will be plundered with the carrot of a promotion bonus that has some reality. 
    I would expect bigger teams to push for a raising of the age of young players to be excluded from the CAP. Football already recognises that under 23’s are youth players. They also have a duty of care not to be risking young players of 20 and under by overplaying them.

• mendonca said:
    But...when is the next vote for the cap to remain or take a temporary holiday? Is there even one? If not, we are just guessing that it will magically be nulled, and in writing it states things are to get stricter next season.
    As the EFL have to basically do what their members vote for surely it’s a case of a member Club putting in a proposal at the end of season AGM for it to be scrapped and they all vote on it again. I’m sure the Clubs coming down would vote against it, as we did.
  • mendonca said:
    But...when is the next vote for the cap to remain or take a temporary holiday? Is there even one? If not, we are just guessing that it will magically be nulled, and in writing it states things are to get stricter next season.
    As the EFL have to basically do what their members vote for surely it’s a case of a member Club putting in a proposal at the end of season AGM for it to be scrapped and they all vote on it again. I’m sure the Clubs coming down would vote against it, as we did.
    Yup it's the same with all the EFL's rules.  As long as its not the "laws of the game" they can vote to change anything they like. 
  • edited January 2021
    Has to be a CB
  • There needs to be some sort financial restrictions on clubs as the economic state of too many clubs is dire.  We have seen from recent clubs in administration that the purchase appetite from extremely wealthy individuals has waned and instead has been replaced by a bunch of chancers/grifters.  The EFL has tried financial fair play and it hasn’t worked.  I have no problem with a cap.  The problem is the cap level is too low.  They set the cap at a level to force clubs into profitability but that shouldn’t be the intent of the cap.  The intent of the cap should to be set at a level to prevent clubs from making poor decisions which lead to administration.  I have no clue what the right number is but the current level is way too low.
  • Laddick01 said:
    I’d love to know what clubs were for/against the cap.

Dunno if Accrington and Lincoln voted against it and then go up, that could heavily swing the vote towards getting rid of it

You'll have three teams that come down from the Championship and I'd be surprised if any of those will vote for the cap, well maybe Wycombe, but even then they're no doubt experiencing the difficulties of sending their players out on loan so may be against it themselves

Suddenly there is a one vote swing to get rid of it rather than a one vote swing to introduce it

Only factor is the other end of the tablke where we may need Wigan to survive themselves, but then you've got Salford currently in the League Two Play-Offs and cant see them being in favour of restrictions given their attitude so far to spending
    Salford actually voted for the salary cap. I remember seeing a documentary on TV where Gary Neville explained he voted for the salary cap as he wanted to look out for the wider interest in football rather than Salford's own interests. I know you only picked Salford as an example but just thought it an interesting point of view. I wonder if Neville has since changed his mind on the cap.
  • The issue with the cap is that it stifles free markets. It will lead to a massive gulf between the championship and the leagues below. There will be plenty of players without clubs if it continues. Although I can see the point behind it the fact is that the EFL have got it wrong. Smaller clubs cant spend as much as larger ones that's just a fact. On that basis we should be moaning that Chelsea etc can spend £200m + and we cant afford that so it's unfair. You get the hand your dealt and play it accordingly, dont try to force a race to the bottom
  • I have no problems with a Cap BUT it also has to take into account the income of the clubs, and when spectators start returning to ground (next season) it will look ridiculous

I don't think any divisions has a great disparity than L1, as leaving aside financial disasters it's realistically the lowest level that ex PL "big" clubs will fall to, and the highest level that former non league clubs can aspire to stay in. Next season the likes of Forest Green Rovers or Morecambe could be competing against Sunderland and us if we don't go up, clubs with massively smaller income, yet allowed to spend the same on wages.
  • Obviously we need a Salary Cap designated thread, but to me it's clear people are assuming other clubs are not in favour, with no actual evidence.