Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• the only area that should be focused on is centre back
    IF it's 10pm Monday 1 Feb, no able defenders are available And a non-defensive player is available who is 1) better than we have 2) match fit 3) accepting <=£1300/wk then signing him could make sense.  Anything else is daft.
    Chances of the above scenario approx = SqRootofFuckAll
  • edited January 2021
    FWIW I think Randall will sign.
    What does FWIW mean? Guesswork or some info?
  • the only area that should be focused on is centre back
    IF it's 10pm Monday 1 Feb, no able defenders are available And a non-defensive player is available who is 1) better than we have 2) match fit 3) accepting <=£1300/wk then signing him could make sense.  Anything else is daft.
    Chances of the above scenario approx = SqRootofFuckAll
    Window closes at 11pm. 
  • edited January 2021
  • mendonca said:
    Not sure but my guess is 'for what its worth'
  • mendonca said:
    You missed an open goal there Toddy.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Weird isn't it Smyth and Bogle have both gone to promotion rivals...
    If nobody rated them on here then its not an issue
  • mendonca said:
    You missed an open goal there Toddy.
    It’s the way I roll 
  • Sponsored links:

• Booting out Lapslie, Smyth & Bogle indicates how tough it is to be a football manager. Gotta be a tough nut. I expect Bowyer liked all three of them, especially Lapslie. 
  • We have to assume that Bogle going means at least one more, maybe two are coming in.
  • We have to assume that Bogle going means at least one more, maybe two are coming in.
    I’m hopeful but I’m not making that assumption. Bogle was always going to leave once we had signed Stockley. It was just the in before the out because we had to move fast. 
  • Booting out Lapslie, Smyth & Bogle indicates how tough it is to be a football manager. Gotta be a tough nut. I expect Bowyer liked all three of them, especially Lapslie. 
    We didn’t have to get rid of Lapslie now though. He wasn’t counting towards the cap so I am slightly surprised we got rid now, rather than seeing if his good form at Mansfield continued. Bowyer probably liked him as a person but clearly didn’t think he could play a part in League 1 next season either. 
    We didn’t have to get rid of Lapslie now though. He wasn’t counting towards the cap so I am slightly surprised we got rid now, rather than seeing if his good form at Mansfield continued. Bowyer probably liked him as a person but clearly didn’t think he could play a part in League 1 next season either. 
    Lapo wanted the move, he wanted to play as much as possible and he was getting to play in a more advanced role at Mansfield. I suspect he'll look really good for the rest of the season there and put himself in the shop window for a move back up to League 1 with somewhere closer to London/SE England in the next couple of years. 
    I’m hopeful but I’m not making that assumption. Bogle was always going to leave once we had signed Stockley. It was just the in before the out because we had to move fast. 
    Yes, but he could have dug in and refused to go so it would have been a risk signing Stockley until he went. That is why I think this must be to free up room for a different signing/s.
  • mendonca said:
    For What It's Worth which in this instance is very little, just my own personal opinion. 
  • At the end of the day, if Gilbey and Maddison were to play to their obvious full ability, and Schwartz could get fully fit, apart from defence cover, I honestly do not feel the need for any other players, but what is the chance of that?
  • Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is there a way of signing Shinnie on a permanent deal in order to free up a load space?

As i understand it Luton are paying the majority of his wages so could we possibly buy him from them and then they give him some dough to be used as wages until the end of the season.

I'm assuming he's out of contract at the end of the season?

I'm all confused!!!
    It would be useful if we could do that with Shinnie, but I can't see it happening or being legal. 

We need to free up a bit more salary if we want a decent, experienced player in though... (the below is total assumption on salaries, but weirdly fits about right!)

The cap is £48,076.92 a week or £2.5m a year, I make it that if Bogle was on £3k a week we have about £1k a week to play with if we're paying £2k a week for using Stockley.
    (Some loans may be cheaper - Famewo and Shinnie prime examples, some Perms may be overestimated too!) 

Famewo doesn’t count in the cap.

We’re not paying anywhere near that for Shinnie.
    Unless we're paying nothing for Famewo he does count against the cap.

He was born in 1998 and the cut off point for u21s are players born on 01/01/1999 onwards.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5fed99b19589d/how-the-salary-cap-works
  • edited January 2021
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is there a way of signing Shinnie on a permanent deal in order to free up a load space?

As i understand it Luton are paying the majority of his wages so could we possibly buy him from them and then they give him some dough to be used as wages until the end of the season.

I'm assuming he's out of contract at the end of the season?

I'm all confused!!!
    It would be useful if we could do that with Shinnie, but I can't see it happening or being legal. 

We need to free up a bit more salary if we want a decent, experienced player in though... (the below is total assumption on salaries, but weirdly fits about right!)

The cap is £48,076.92 a week or £2.5m a year, I make it that if Bogle was on £3k a week we have about £1k a week to play with if we're paying £2k a week for using Stockley.
    (Some loans may be cheaper - Famewo and Shinnie prime examples, some Perms may be overestimated too!) 

Famewo doesn’t count in the cap.

We’re not paying anywhere near that for Shinnie.
    Unless we're paying nothing for Famewo he does count against the cap.

He was born in 1998 and the cut off point for u21s are players born on 01/01/1999 onwards.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5fed99b19589d/how-the-salary-cap-works
    It was said some time ago, Steve Gallen, maybe?  ........ that Famewo costs us £1,300pw, which was the maximum we were permitted to pay during our ESI 'hard embargo' in September, compared to the 'soft embargo' that we were given from last January.

Now whether there has been any change in the amount we now pay Famewo, I don't know.
    But I should think the player's Norwich contract pays more that and Norwich pay the difference.

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    sam3110 said:
    Booting out Lapslie, Smyth & Bogle indicates how tough it is to be a football manager. Gotta be a tough nut. I expect Bowyer liked all three of them, especially Lapslie. 
    Lapo wanted the move, he wanted to play as much as possible and he was getting to play in a more advanced role at Mansfield. I suspect he'll look really good for the rest of the season there and put himself in the shop window for a move back up to League 1 with somewhere closer to London/SE England in the next couple of years. 
    But he already had the move. I don’t think he pushed to leave at all personally. 
    Yes, but he could have dug in and refused to go so it would have been a risk signing Stockley until he went. That is why I think this must be to free up room for a different signing/s.
    Maybe. Together with Smyth leaving we might be able to squeeze one more over 21. 
  • ross1 said:
    At the end of the day, if Gilbey and Maddison were to play to their obvious full ability, and Schwartz could get fully fit, apart from defence cover, I honestly do not feel the need for any other players, but what is the chance of that?
    ATEOTD......I agree.😁
  • I've got a question regarding the wage cap. It's probably been answered somewhere else.

For argument sake let's use Plymouth player Luke Jephcott and let's assume his contract runs out June 2022. Say he is currently on 6k a week, a figure agreed before the changes in wage cap. Then they wanted to extend his contract until 2025 on his current pay of 6k a week, but it would mean it would push Plymouths annual budget outside the 2.5m pay cap, would he then have to take a pay cut? 

Of course this is all hypothetical, but will there will be lots players taking forced pay cuts?
  • PopIcon said:
    I've got a question regarding the wage cap. It's probably been answered somewhere else.

For argument sake let's use Plymouth player Luke Jephcott and let's assume his contract runs out June 2022. Say he is currently on 6k a week, a figure agreed before the changes in wage cap. Then they wanted to extend his contract until 2025 on his current pay of 6k a week, but it would mean it would push Plymouths annual budget outside the 2.5m pay cap, would he then have to take a pay cut? 

Of course this is all hypothetical, but will there will be lots players taking forced pay cuts?
    No you can't force players to take pay cuts. In the example you gave, if Plymouth went above the cap, they will either have to offload players, negotiate new contracts with lower wages or they will face sanctions. 

• PopIcon said:
    I've got a question regarding the wage cap. It's probably been answered somewhere else.

No you can't force players to take pay cuts. In the example you gave, if Plymouth went above the cap, they will either have to offload players, negotiate new contracts with lower wages or they will face sanctions. 

When when the contract ends they will be forced to leave as Plymouth wouldn't be able match their current contact?
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

When when the contract ends they will be forced to leave as Plymouth wouldn't be able match their current contact?
    Correct. It's a farce
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Yeah I suppose so. Stay on lower terms or leave for a better offer. The best players from League 1 will undoutedbly get Championship moves, players dropping down from the Prem or Championship will have to take larger cuts than previously. Just look at this season, Gunter and Watson took cuts to join us. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Correct. It's a farce
    Indeed it is. And it's only getting worse as I believe the wage cap next season is £2m (iirc).

All players signed before the cap, especially if the club was in the Championship (like us) will just see all those players leave. We then have to rebuild trying to sign players on c£2k per week or players U21. 

It will a race to the bottom. Unless someone takes it to Court......or clubs vote it down next season.