Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League 2020/21

Comments

• Yeah Villa have spent big in both summers too. Quite fortunate to stay up but obviously look better this season. 
  • edited December 2020
    Off_it said:
    I'm amazed at the collective sucking of the Leeds cock on Sky today. At times i had to double check the score to confirm that they were indeed taking a hammering. They were incredibly lucky to only lose by 4 goals. Man U could easily have reached double figures.

But Leeds are still "an amazing team with an amazing coach", apparently. I remember Ian Holloway trying the same thing with Blackoool and everyone thought he was a clown!
    But Man Utd should beat Leeds 6-2 and more shouldn't they? After all, the collective cost of the Leeds squad is less than what Man United paid for one player - Paul Pogba. 

Except Pogba played 0 minutes yesterday, so his price tag has nothing to do with it. 

Leeds spent a huge amount of money in the summer for a newly promoted side and one who hadn’t been in top flight for over a decade. 
    OK let's just do the calculation only using those that played yesterday and not include the £200m United's unused subs cost:

Man United

De Gea - £19m
    Shaw - £27m
    Maguire - £80m
    Lindeloff - £31m
    Wan-Bissaka - £50m
    Fred - £52m
    McTominay - £0
    James - £15m
    Fernandes - £47m
    Rashford - £0
    Martial - £36m
    Cavani - £0
    Telles - £14m
    Van De Beek - £35m 

Total £406m

Leeds

Messlier £6m
    Cooper - £0.6m
    Dallas - £0
    Ayling - £0.2m
    Aliowski - £3.6m
    Moreno - £26m
    Raphina - £17m
    Phillips - £0
    Harrison - £0
    Klich - £1.5m
    Bamford - £7m
    Davis - £0
    Shackleton - £0
    Struijk - £0

Total £62m

• Where you pulling those figures from? 
  • The point I am trying to make is that Bielsa isn't afraid to take the game to the opposition and will not compromise on his footballing beliefs. Who can forget how they did so at Anfield first game of the season against a full strength Liverpool team and lost 4-3?

Give me that any day of the week than a Manager who would rather park the bus even against the weakest of opposition. It is a throwback to how football used to be played and perhaps that is what I like most about it. They will get thrashed on occasions but so what because they will also win games doing it that way rather than drawing 0-0,

• edited December 2020
    Where you pulling those figures from? 
    Soccerbase and various articles but happy to be corrected if you can demonstrate that any of them are incorrect. Which ones are you disputing?
    Soccerbase and various articles but happy to be corrected if you can demonstrate that any of them are incorrect.
    No only Harrison really because he's on loan. 

Sorry I didn't mean my post to be offensive, was just surprised at a few. Ayling for 200k? That's an absolute steal. In fairness with the amount of undisclosed transfers you can never be certain.
  • edited December 2020
    Where you pulling those figures from? 
    Soccerbase and various articles but happy to be corrected if you can demonstrate that any of them are incorrect.

Sorry I didn't mean my post to be offensive, was just surprised at a few. Ayling for 200k? That's an absolute steal. In fairness with the amount of undisclosed transfers you can never be certain.
    No problem and no offence taken. You are absolutely correct. Harrsion is on loan and I took the £8m City paid for him. Have now deducted that and thanks for pointing it out.

Ayling's £200K was from this article:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leeds-united-former-bristol-city-4439046

Re the undisclosed I agree but we are talking more about the figures being hundreds of thousands out and not millions, And unlike our transfers of the last decade they actually have very few undisclosed ones!

No problem and no offence taken. You are absolutely correct. Harrsion is on loan and I took the £8m City paid for him. Have now deducted that and thanks for pointing it out.

Ayling's £200K was from this article:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leeds-united-former-bristol-city-4439046

Re the undisclosed I agree but we are talking more about the figures being hundreds of thousands out and not millions, And unlike our transfers of the last decade they actually have very few undisclosed ones!
    Ah I'm not dismissing your point at all. Man Utd should absolutely beat Leeds. Leeds have spent a lot this summer and I expect them to do so again if they stay up, but you don't really have any choice. Burnley have been a solid outfit for the last few years, but their lack of spending is showing this season. 
  • The point I am trying to make is that Bielsa isn't afraid to take the game to the opposition and will not compromise on his footballing beliefs. Who can forget how they did so at Anfield first game of the season against a full strength Liverpool team and lost 4-3?

Give me that any day of the week than a Manager who would rather park the bus even against the weakest of opposition. It is a throwback to how football used to be played and perhaps that is what I like most about it. They will get thrashed on occasions but so what because they will also win games doing it that way rather than drawing 0-0,

But was it the right approach against a team like Man U though? When teams have such devastating counter attack players, it's an incredibly risky/foolish strategy. One misplaced pass and you're left with a 4 on 3

To me it's dubious to play an open attacking game against a team who has better players than you at playing the same style of play
  • Uniteds home league form has been crap this season, losing against the likes of Arsenal, Palace and not forgetting the 6-1 drubbing by Spurs. Biesla must have looked at the way those sides set up and adopted a more defensive/counter attack approach? Ultimately you want to win games, but you have to adjust to do so. Yesterday United were able to come forward at will, bang average players like Dan James allowed to travel 50 yards with the ball deep into Leeds half. Exciting but ultimately suicidal. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2020
    The point I am trying to make is that Bielsa isn't afraid to take the game to the opposition and will not compromise on his footballing beliefs. Who can forget how they did so at Anfield first game of the season against a full strength Liverpool team and lost 4-3?

But was it the right approach against a team like Man U though? When teams have such devastating counter attack players, it's an incredibly risky/foolish strategy. One misplaced pass and you're left with a 4 on 3

To me it's dubious to play an open attacking game against a team who has better players than you at playing the same style of play
    As I say they did it at Anfield and only lost 4-3 with the Liverpool winner coming in the 88th minute. And that was against their first choice side.

The defending yesterday was undoubtedly naive and Bielsa said as much. But the style shouldn't change because we'll end up with clones of teams only playing one way - grinding out points. Without labouring the point Man United's back five cost £207m whereas Leeds cost £10m. Should they set up with 11 behind the ball because of that as so many teams now do?

Leeds are 3 points above Arsenal and have exactly the same goal difference (-6). I would much rather watch the team that had scored 24 goals and let in 30 than the one that has recorded 12 and 18 respectively.

As I say they did it at Anfield and only lost 4-3 with the Liverpool winner coming in the 88th minute. And that was against their first choice side.

The defending yesterday was undoubtedly naive and Bielsa said as much. But the style shouldn't change because we'll end up with clones of teams only playing one way - grinding out points. Without labouring the point Man United's back five cost £207m whereas Leeds cost £10m. Should they set up with 11 behind the ball because of that as so many teams now do?

Leeds are 3 points above Arsenal and have exactly the same goal difference (-6). I would much rather watch the team that had scored 24 goals and let in 30 than the one that has recorded 12 and 18 respectively.
    But then Leeds are below Newcastle and Palace AND have let in more goals than West Brom. It's great for the neutral, but they are reminding me of a better Holloway Blackpool

It's not just about their back 4, as their defence got no protection whatsoever. Phillips was swamped in midfield

But then Leeds are below Newcastle and Palace AND have let in more goals than West Brom. It's great for the neutral, but they are reminding me of a better Holloway Blackpool

It's not just about their back 4, as their defence got no protection whatsoever. Phillips was swamped in midfield
    A better Blackpool would mean they stay up given that they finished with 39 points and only failed to do so by 2 points. But their fans wouldn't have sat all season watching like Burnley, Newcastle and Arsenal. for example, turgid football in doing that.

The proof of the pudding will be come the end of the season and to that end I would point out that Leeds have already played most of the top sides and their remaining 5 matches to the half way stage are Burnley, WBA, Spurs, Brighton and Southampton. I could see them picking up at least 7 points from that lot which would put them on 24 and well on the way to survival. 
  • Gary Neville said Wolves aren’t very good coming back from a goal down. Then they check the stats and realise only Liverpool have won more games from a losing position over the last 2 seasons. Haha
  • He might have a point today though 
  • Burnley now 1 point behind Arsenal and 4 behind Leeds with a game in hand

Their next 3 fixtures are Leeds, Sheffield United and Fulham
  • Offside from Declan Rice but bloody good finish from such a tight angle!!
  • A decent game finishes 2-2 between Leicester and Man U
  • Sponsored links:

• Lovely,Villa 1 up.
  • Lovely,Villa 1 up.
    Lost 3-0 to ten men.

A week after losing 7-0.

Roy under any pressure?
  • edited December 2020
    Edit: wrong thread
  • All the results going spurs way ffs 
  • All the results going spurs way ffs 
    Surely going Liverpool's way?
  • Nope Spurs title , year ends in 1 ,  Chelsea losing now ... it’s written in the stars .... 
  • edited December 2020
    That was never a pen. Chelsea look shocking though. Lampard got a bit of the tinker man about him.
  • Nope Spurs title , year ends in 1 ,  Chelsea losing now ... it’s written in the stars .... 
    Fully expect Spurs to fail to get a win @ Wolves tomorrow - Liverpool will open their gap at the top beating West Brom

Unfortunately everyone else being inconsistent will give them the title
  • Crikey, this game has been poor.

The second goal was good, a cracking free kick, but the other goals, the softest of soft penalties and a mis-hit cross, were woeful.

Both sides have been awful ... and as I typed that Chelsea put the ball in the back of the net followed by a VAR analysis of whether the hairs on Abraham's leg were offside.

I don't know if it's the impact of having no fans in the ground but, bugger me, the quality of football in the last few months has been ordinary.
  • And that penalty "attempt" from Chelsea sums it all up.

F***ing awful.