Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• J BLOCK said:
    I have total faith that Bowyer and Gallen will see us right as they have done EVERY SUMMER. Have faith and have patience.
    100% Trust in the team. 
    It's all very well having faith in Bowyer & Gallen but I think the wage cap will prevent us recruiting good enough players. Selling Bonne has done us no favours, we now need to find two strikers at least as good as him & on the wages that we can pay them i think it's unlikely. We should never have let him go until we had signed replacements. As for him wanting to leave, perhaps if Bowyer hadn't frequently in public criticised "the strikers" maybe he wouldn't have felt he wasn't wanted.
  • LB on Phillips:

“What’s Dillon going to do if he doesn’t go? He is going to sit there not playing any games and is going to be forgotten next summer – no-one is going to take him."

Sorry don't buy that. A keeper of Phillips quality doesn't get "forgotten about". A home grown keeper of Phillips' quality on a free even less so. He will either get a place as a Championship number one or back up in the PL a la Elliott at Newcastle.
    Lb negotiation position, go now or we only play u if u sign a contract so we benefit 
  • LB on Phillips:

“What’s Dillon going to do if he doesn’t go? He is going to sit there not playing any games and is going to be forgotten next summer – no-one is going to take him."

Sorry don't buy that. A keeper of Phillips quality doesn't get "forgotten about". A home grown keeper of Phillips' quality on a free even less so. He will either get a place as a Championship number one or back up in the PL a la Elliott at Newcastle.
    I’m with bowyer on this! Bowyer has said that to either get him to sign or a kick up the backside for his agent
  • But presumably he would have to sign for @£2k pw?
  • But presumably he would have to sign for @£2k pw?
    Not necessarily...take a read here: https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/90056/efl-wage-cap-2020-21-season#latest
  • cafc-west said:
    But presumably he would have to sign for @£2k pw?
    Not necessarily...take a read here: https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/90056/efl-wage-cap-2020-21-season#latest
    Yes, but if he signs for £10kpw, we can't sign anyone else. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gives Dillon a year to work on how to kick a ball. He'll probably be snapped up immediately if he Vlogs the journey of his progress.
  • edited October 2020
    cafc4life said:
    id rather we stuck with Amos now. Phillips has had what 1? 2 at a push, good seasons. Even that, he was at fault for a number of late dropped points last season. Hull/Millwall at home, Brum away ETC. if we doesnt wasnt to be here, fuck him off and let him play for the under 23s if he dont get his move.

Time clubs started doing something about mercenary footballers who quite happily pick up an extortionate wage to do nothing. Too many think they can control and demand things which is a liberty. 
    But clubs are “mercenary” too. Charlton will have released many youngsters who never made the cut over the last few years whilst senior players that we don’t want don’t get offered new deals when theirs expired. 

Fans expecting loyalty, and want it to be a one way street, are trying to have their cake and eat it. Ultimately I only expect “loyalty” for as long as the contract term, at the end of which both parties are free to do what’s best for them, no hard feelings. 
  • edited October 2020
    If Doughty doesn't come under the wage cap because of his age (which I believe is true), surely there is no excuse to not lock him down to a good contract and keep him long-term, as a statement from TS
    What if he doesnt want to stay ?

Imo he should be treated the same as Bonne if that's the case.

We need players willing & wanting to go on Bow's journey.
  • cafc-west said:
    Agreed, the last thing Bowyer would want to do is allowed spend a large chunk of his wage budget on a keeper

I do remember previously suggesting though that we should give Dillon a new contract but also loan him to a Championship club for the season, with them picking up his wages. That way we still "keep" the player, he gets to play in the Championship and we don't pay his wages!
  • We could always pick up Gunnersaurus now that Arsenal have released him? Passes the height test, though looks slightly less mobile than Aneke.

Not sure what's been said about this in the media but the guy had worked for Arsenal since 1993, and was full time. Not just on match days but hospital visits, and appearances at the vast Arsenal supporters children groups. His full time wages will be the equivalent of one hour's  pay on Ozil's rates.

• Dazzler21 said:
    If Doughty doesn't come under the wage cap because of his age (which I believe is true), surely there is no excuse to not lock him down to a good contract and keep him long-term, as a statement from TS
    What if he doesnt want to stay ?

Imo he should be treated the same as Bonne if that's the case.

We need players willing & wanting to go on Bow's journey.
    I think I agree for the most part, young lads with heads not in it are unlikely to set the world on fire. Issue is we're shedding the small glimpses of quality we have. Comes a point where we can't create anything and cutting our nose off to spite our faces.
  • cafc-west said:
    Think that depends when contract was offered doesn't it? If offer came pre-deadline I think it's the average rule.
  • Won’t be any incomings from Denmark today. Schwartz deal is off. 
    The new Chris Malkin!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    cafc-west said:
    Think that depends when contract was offered doesn't it? If offer came pre-deadline I think it's the average rule.
    Is that definitely the case? Especially if the contract he signed now wasn't exactly the same one as offered in say July?
  • dickplumb said:
    dickplumb said:

The news brought to you five days ago by me. Am I regarded as ITK now?
    Only if he signs.
    Plus, how do we know if O’Rourke didn’t get the info from your post?
    It came from a very, very good source, who would know. All I said was that Gunter was at the Training Ground and the Valley. I didn’t say he had signed.
    I was only jesting mate.😎
  • Sponsored links:

• Ferryman said:
    Won’t be any incomings from Denmark today. Schwartz deal is off. 
    The new Chris Malkin!
    Let’s hope we don’t sign Bradley Allen instead. 
  • Ferryman said:
    The new Chris Malkin!
    Sad to say, I do believe we've missed the boat on that one.

• I the scheme of things the Phillips/Amos debate is pretty pointless.

I doubt Amos would have signed the extension if he knew Phillips was still going to be here.  

It's not like we are playing a 17 year old, Turam or an outfield player in goal.  We won't not go up because of it.

Best thing is Phillips goes, and goes in this window.  Yes he is "one of our own" and a pretty good championship keeper.  But he isn't the second coming of Sam is he? 
  • AaB have had a bid for Schwartz rejected according to Danish media.
  • edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafc-west said:
    Is that definitely the case? Especially if the contract he signed now wasn't exactly the same one as offered in say July?
    I think that'd be a new contract offer so rules would apply. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    is Ronnie Schwarz the bloke who is nicknamed hammer foot or something because of the power of his shot?
    He's nicknamed 'Plaffeministeren'.
    Plaffe is an unformal way of saying shoot (a weapon) in Danish.

• edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Ferryman said:
    The new Chris Malkin!
    Sad to say, I do believe we've missed the boat on that one.

He’s only 49. He’s probably got 15 mins left in him. If not we could go for Alan Bradley - he should have recovered from being run over by a tram by now.