Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• We get compensation even if Alfie goes cross border in the summer – that’s the difference between him and Dillon [Phillips]. We don’t get a penny wherever Dillon goes in the summer.

“We have to weigh up the pros and cons if Alfie goes, we’d need someone ready to replace him.

“There is a club that is interested in this country as well. And it works the same way – what are they prepared to pay? If it’s right we’ll consider it. But we don’t want to sell Alfie, of course we don’t. In an ideal world Alfie signs the contract and keeps progressing.

He ain’t the finished article, for sure. In my eyes he should stay, sign his contract and crack on.”

So basically if Celtic were interested in Dills we'd still be playing him? This to me is double standards to me from Bowyer. Neither will sign a new deal but because it suits us we will play Alfie but not Dillon. And is the first part even correct? Did we get compo for Aribo when he went 'cross border'.

For the millionth time, you don’t play a keeper who has openly stated they won’t sign a new deal and want to leave.

I don't understand why you can't.

You simply can’t compare Doughty’s situation with Phillips’.

I can and I did.

If you don’t understand at this point, even though it’s been explained by multiple posters as well as the manager himself, I don’t know what more can be said on the topic. 
  • edited October 2020
    This isn't me moaning as I'm well aware TS has effectively saved the club from going into admin and I'll be forever grateful for that, but is anyone else getting slightly concerned that we still appear to be going after the same targets? It seems to me that we're still going for older free agents and loans. I was hoping we might begin paying fees for players in their prime.

Once again not moaning, just sharing my thoughts on our transfer activity
    I thought Gallen said the quality of their targets had changed - the one this week with @Ollywozere
    I'd assume if the player was happy with ~3k per week wages they would go, like Alex Gilbey did but I would assume anybody in League One you'd pay money for wouldn't bother changing. I can't think of any superstars outside of other promotion-chasing teams and if you were Chris Maguire or Ronan Curtis, you're probably not much better off jumping across right now as your wages would be static.
  • I don't care if we sign Gunter or Matthews, I just wish we'd get on with signing a RB

Gunter will be away with the Wales squad, so it's not as if we'd see him on the training field before the middle of next week anyway
  • We get compensation even if Alfie goes cross border in the summer – that’s the difference between him and Dillon [Phillips]. We don’t get a penny wherever Dillon goes in the summer.

“We have to weigh up the pros and cons if Alfie goes, we’d need someone ready to replace him.

“There is a club that is interested in this country as well. And it works the same way – what are they prepared to pay? If it’s right we’ll consider it. But we don’t want to sell Alfie, of course we don’t. In an ideal world Alfie signs the contract and keeps progressing.

He ain’t the finished article, for sure. In my eyes he should stay, sign his contract and crack on.”

So basically if Celtic were interested in Dills we'd still be playing him? This to me is double standards to me from Bowyer. Neither will sign a new deal but because it suits us we will play Alfie but not Dillon. And is the first part even correct? Did we get compo for Aribo when he went 'cross border'.

For the millionth time, you don’t play a keeper who has openly stated they won’t sign a new deal and want to leave.

I can and I did.

In the circumstances I can understand why Phillips wouldn't be played, you'd question if his heart and mind were fully in it and more to the point, the defence probably would too - leading to uncertainty and potential error. And given Amos is really not much of a step down (if at all) then Phillips just has to lie in the bed he's made himself.
  • This isn't me moaning as I'm well aware TS has effectively saved the club from going into admin and I'll be forever grateful for that, but is anyone else getting slightly concerned that we still appear to be going after the same targets? It seems to me that we're still going for older free agents and loans. I was hoping we might begin paying fees for players in their prime.

no I agree but I think it's all down to the wage cap. If you pay say 1m for the best centre half in the league he's going to want to be paid more than the cap allows surely?
    Exactly. And if the best centre half in the league was available for 1m then although we can probably pay that fee, he'd likely end up going to a championship side where he can earn 5k a week instead.

There are definitely decent signings to be made in this division (Watson and Maddison are proof) but we also have to remember we're coming at this 2 months after everyone else. Clarke-Harris who went to Peterborough for example would've been a perfect signing and would surely have signed for us over them if TS was here in the summer.
  • se9addick said:
    thenewbie said:

We get compensation even if Alfie goes cross border in the summer – that’s the difference between him and Dillon [Phillips]. We don’t get a penny wherever Dillon goes in the summer.

I can and I did.

In the circumstances I can understand why Phillips wouldn't be played, you'd question if his heart and mind were fully in it and more to the point, the defence probably would too - leading to uncertainty and potential error. And given Amos is really not much of a step down (if at all) then Phillips just has to lie in the bed he's made himself.
    Let’s not be silly now, Phillips is better than Amos and not picking our best goalkeeper - probably the most crucial individual in the XI - will cost us points over the course of the season. 

I understand everyone who agrees with Bowyer’s position on this, but I don’t. 
    Agree entirely with you.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    thenewbie said:

We get compensation even if Alfie goes cross border in the summer – that’s the difference between him and Dillon [Phillips]. We don’t get a penny wherever Dillon goes in the summer.

I can and I did.

Let’s not be silly now, Phillips is better than Amos and not picking our best goalkeeper - probably the most crucial individual in the XI - will cost us points over the course of the season. 

I understand everyone who agrees with Bowyer’s position on this, but I don’t. 
    Your point would carry more weight if our back up keeper was terrible (say for example) Thuram. But it's Amos, a more than capable, experienced keeper. I don't believe we've lost any points due to him yet this season, in fact he probably earned us a point v Sunderland.

Why would you pick a player who won't sign a contract and wants to leave?
    Because he’s better than the alternative... 

(I haven’t and wouldn’t say Amos is “terrible”, I thought he did really well against Sunderland, but I’m very confident that Phillips is the better goalkeeper of the two). 
  • What is happening with Matthews now? Is he trying to negotiate better wages? I thought he was ready to go once the club were stable. Happy enough with Gunter if it happens though.  
  • Gunter is yesterday's news. Can't JW and DL have a word with Neco Williams and get him to spend a loan season here instead? 😉
  • edited October 2020
    we're after six or seven new signings and not a single decent rumour ..... (Gunter excepted)
  • dickplumb said:

The news brought to you five days ago by me. Am I regarded as ITK now?
    Only if he signs.
    Plus, how do we know if O’Rourke didn’t get the info from your post?
  • thenewbie said:

I can and I did.

I agree. Amos has probably peaked where Phillips is still learning. If Phillips doesn’t get a move in the next two weeks, I don’t see how he is in a position not to sign a new contract. He isn’t going to get u-23 game time at the moment. Who would want a keeper that hasn’t played a game for a year?

sign a contract with a non promotion, championship offer clause and fight for your place! 

Someone replied to this post saying Amos will cost us points, he saved us one on Saturday! All keepers cost points and gain points. Phillips cost us points at home to hull and millwall but definitely earned more, we are lucky to have Amos which means Phillips doesn’t have any good cards at the moment!
  • The cap is severely limiting which targets we can realistically go for. I'm sure we can pay fees now, but the wages for players that command a fee are almost certainly too high to ensure the squad as a whole fits within the cap. Even selling Dillon only frees up whatever the "average" League 1 wages are (somewhere around £2K a week?). Now that we have financial backing, the cap is a disaster!
    Should we not just blow the cap, win promotion and finish mid table championship with the points deduction next year like Wednesday? :smile:
  • dickplumb said:

The news brought to you five days ago by me. Am I regarded as ITK now?
    Only if he signs.
    Plus, how do we know if O’Rourke didn’t get the info from your post?
    It came from a very, very good source, who would know. All I said was that Gunter was at the Training Ground and the Valley. I didn’t say he had signed.
  • Sponsored links:

• The cap is severely limiting which targets we can realistically go for. I'm sure we can pay fees now, but the wages for players that command a fee are almost certainly too high to ensure the squad as a whole fits within the cap. Even selling Dillon only frees up whatever the "average" League 1 wages are (somewhere around £2K a week?). Now that we have financial backing, the cap is a disaster!
    Should we not just blow the cap, win promotion and finish mid table championship with the points deduction next year like Wednesday? :smile:
    Except, if we blow the cap, we incur the wrath of the EFL (not just a fine...) and likely demotion without ever reaching the Championship!
  • Google search reports gunter (lb rb wales most capped player) and ali koiki from burnley (cb)
  • Koiki is a left back
  • edited October 2020
    The cap is severely limiting which targets we can realistically go for. I'm sure we can pay fees now, but the wages for players that command a fee are almost certainly too high to ensure the squad as a whole fits within the cap. Even selling Dillon only frees up whatever the "average" League 1 wages are (somewhere around £2K a week?). Now that we have financial backing, the cap is a disaster!
    This in spades, even if it was in jest. We have been fucked left right & centre by the EFL. Its now payback time. Sod the wage cap, bring in the players we need & take the hit (financial or points) somewhere down the line. Sheff Wed's case took over 2 years to come to "trial"  - in that time we could be safe in the Championship. 

Otherwise, as can be seen now, getting decent enough players to get out of this League could take years. And the rules are getting worse next year - iirc the squad size you are allowed is reducing. 

Leagues 1 & 2 have fucked themselves to death. 
  • This isn't me moaning as I'm well aware TS has effectively saved the club from going into admin and I'll be forever grateful for that, but is anyone else getting slightly concerned that we still appear to be going after the same targets? It seems to me that we're still going for older free agents and loans. I was hoping we might begin paying fees for players in their prime.

You sound keen to spend someone else's money. :smile:

Seriously, Tommy might be minted but it's not just an open cheque book here ..... there will nevertheless be a player budget.

So far, Tommy has said he'll leave recruitment and playing matters to his experts, Bowyer and Gallen.
    They are trying to build a side to win promotion - and the wage cap is playing havoc with that; it's why Bowyer says he's hoping to sign 3 players on permanent contracts and 3 on loans.

And because of the embargo, we're late to the party for signing new players. We're playing catch up.
    Most League One clubs sorted their squads out well before the new season kicked off.

• is Ronnie Schwarz the bloke who is nicknamed hammer foot or something because of the power of his shot?
  • Not bothered the schwartz deal looks to have fallen through we know how these strikers from abroad can score for fun come over here and not do much anyway
     so rather spend the funds/wages on 2 proven goalscorers in the english leagues
  • LB on Phillips:

“What’s Dillon going to do if he doesn’t go? He is going to sit there not playing any games and is going to be forgotten next summer – no-one is going to take him."

Sorry don't buy that. A keeper of Phillips quality doesn't get "forgotten about". A home grown keeper of Phillips' quality on a free even less so. He will either get a place as a Championship number one or back up in the PL a la Elliott at Newcastle.