Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Gunter is 31. Watson 35. Usually I'd be a bit concerned about signing players past their peak. As it is though, it makes sense. A lot of experience to help the youngsters develop, and on relatively short contracts so that we can churn the playing staff and bring in new talent as we progress (hopefully) into and then to the higher reaches of the Championship. But I would still like a couple of other signings to be in the 24-28 age group to balance things out.
  • Doubt there's much between Gunter or Matthews other than one being cheaper for the wage cap
  • Sage said:
    LB on Phillips:

“What’s Dillon going to do if he doesn’t go? He is going to sit there not playing any games and is going to be forgotten next summer – no-one is going to take him."

Sorry don't buy that. A keeper of Phillips quality doesn't get "forgotten about". A home grown keeper of Phillips' quality on a free even less so. He will either get a place as a Championship number one or back up in the PL a la Elliott at Newcastle.
    You see, I think Bow is right.

If he doesn’t get a move now and waits until next summer, clubs are going to forget about him. They’ll instead go for players who have been playing well this season, not someone who refused to sign a contract and not played for a year.

He has had one full season in professional football in his entire career, that was last season. He’s 25 now, will be 26 by the time his contract is up. One full season by 26 is not going to attract many Championship clubs, that’s for sure, even with how good he was last season.

Players do listen to their agents far too much, forgetting the only reason they’re saying the things they do is because they have an agenda themselves, money.

If Phillips was really in demand, and clubs genuinely wanted him, he’d be gone by now.

The fact is, there may be interest but not enough to get a deal done for him to be playing at Championship level. That’s what he needs, there is no point him signing for another club to just sit on the bench.

He’d have been better off signing a deal with us, helping us get back up and then looking to move even if we do or do not get promoted this season. 
    Phillips made 73 consecutive League matches and generally recognised as being in the top three keepers in the Championship. And he might be prepared at some point to sign for another Championship club on a three or four year contract to initially sit on the bench on the basis that his opportunity will come and for more money and security. 

But, accepting that no one might come in for him, there is another issue. What if Amos gets injured and Phillips then refuses to play or even sit on the bench because of the way he's been treated? He could argue that we have a history of signing players on 12 month contracts (or with less than that left) but continue to play them, so why are we singling him out? He could also argue that, in keeping him out of the shop window, we have been detrimental to his career and restricted the possibility of him being sold. If the "out of sight, out of mind argument" hold water does it have to have a timescale? 

My concern is that we have now had Solly, Taylor and Davis who all refused to play for LB. Bonne said that he left because he didn't feel wanted after being publicly singled out for criticism and we don't appear to have found a ready made replacement for him. We have an impasse with Phillips and Doughty might well be the next to up sticks too. With the other departures, by my reckoning, that will leave us with no more than three or four players who played 20 plus games last season and they are hardly the ones who are going to be the difference between us being successful or not. 

In not playing Phillips and with him still being on the books we will end up paying him to sit at home.  In those circumstances Phillips won't be the only loser. And that's all without taking into account that he is the best keeper we have at the club.
  • edited October 2020
    Apparently we've just signed Chris gunter on a 2 year deal 
    Is he going to play up front because as it stands WE NEED SOME FUCKING  STRIKERS  !!!

I've had a look on xhamster but can't find that category.
  • edited October 2020

Charlton had a loan interest in Leeds midfielder Mateusz Bogusz. But he is joining Spanish side UD Logrones.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    CAFC could negotciate with Phillips and come to an arrangement to cancel his contract before the window shuts,  thus making him a free agent.
    Why would we want to do that? - We'd get him off the wages but then we're missing out on a potential fee for him too

well if he's with us till next June doing nothing we won't get a fee then so may as well get his wages off the books if we can surely?
  • Dansk_Red said:
    CAFC could negotciate with Phillips and come to an arrangement to cancel his contract before the window shuts,  thus making him a free agent.
    Why would we want to do that? - We'd get him off the wages but then we're missing out on a potential fee for him too
    a fee we won't get next summer anyway and he won't be playing in the meantime. 

• Charlton had a loan interest in Leeds midfielder Mateusz Bogusz. But he is joining Spanish side UD Logrones.
    another missed as he bogs off to Spain ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton had a loan interest in Leeds midfielder Mateusz Bogusz. But he is joining Spanish side UD Logrones.
    A versatile midfielder, Bogusz can play as an eight, 10 and holding midfielder
  • edited October 2020
    We could always pick up Gunnersaurus now that Arsenal have released him? Passes the height test, though looks slightly less mobile than Aneke.
    Will Mesut Ozil be Gunnersaurus's replacement?

Ozil doesn't have the same workrate as Gunnersaurus.
  • We could always pick up Gunnersaurus now that Arsenal have released him? Passes the height test, though looks slightly less mobile than Aneke.
    Will Mesut Ozil be Gunnersaurus's replacement?

Ozil doesn't have the same workmate as Gunnersaurus.
    Well they definitely aren’t workmates anymore!
  • Apparently we've just signed Chris gunter on a 2 year deal 
    Do we have some kind of link up with the Welsh national team?

We've now had Williams, Lockyer, Matthews, Ledley (albeit not for long) and Levitt. Now about to sign Gunter, can't be coincidence surely. It's just a shame Bale didn't sign.
    There's still time.
  • The good thing about Gunter joining us now is that he can train with his teammates Jonny and Levitt at the Wales camp!
  • edited October 2020
    cafc4life said:
    id rather we stuck with Amos now. Phillips has had what 1? 2 at a push, good seasons. Even that, he was at fault for a number of late dropped points last season. Hull/Millwall at home, Brum away ETC. if we doesnt wasnt to be here, fuck him off and let him play for the under 23s if he dont get his move.

Time clubs started doing something about mercenary footballers who quite happily pick up an extortionate wage to do nothing. Too many think they can control and demand things which is a liberty. 

Phillips is not a mercenary and has been brilliant for two seasons. Yes I was at Wembley but compared to De Gea, Loris and Pickford who can't go a month without a cock up, Dillon has been top notch. Nick Pope made 4 mistakes in his last match.

After spending so long as a number 2, before he proved himself in the 1st team. I would like to see him get a Championship move.

Ben Amos is a very tidy keeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• The good thing about Gunter joining us now is that he can train with his teammates Jonny and Levitt at the Wales camp!
    And not train with us ........ wouldnt it be nice to sign a player that was ready to go from the off, fit and in form and not have to wait five or six weeks to get up to speed ? 
  • Another midfielder... We have about 9 of those. 
    And not train with us ........ wouldnt it be nice to sign a player that was ready to go from the off, fit and in form and not have to wait five or six weeks to get up to speed ? 
    He's a free transfer... Whats to say he's not been training at Sparrows Lane for the past week when he got seen there? 
  • We do have time left of course, but would it be unreasonable of me to fall into a miasma of "we could just not get it over the line"  and feelings of "meh!" after the cut off?

I promise i really am trying to mosh it up with rock on Tommy, honest.
  • cafc4life said:
    id rather we stuck with Amos now. Phillips has had what 1? 2 at a push, good seasons. Even that, he was at fault for a number of late dropped points last season. Hull/Millwall at home, Brum away ETC. if we doesnt wasnt to be here, fuck him off and let him play for the under 23s if he dont get his move.

Time clubs started doing something about mercenary footballers who quite happily pick up an extortionate wage to do nothing. Too many think they can control and demand things which is a liberty. 

Phillips is not a mercenary and has been brilliant for two seasons. Yes I was at Wembley but compared to De Gea, Loris and Pickford who can't go a month without a cock up, Dillon has been top notch. Nick Pope made 4 mistakes in his last match.

After spending so long as a number 2, I would like to see him get a Championship move.
    Makes me wonder why championship clubs haven't been kicking our doors in with offers that we cant refuse  ?
  • Apparently we've just signed Chris gunter on a 2 year deal 
    Is he going to play up front because as it stands WE NEED SOME FUCKING  STRIKERS  !!!
    And we have 11 days to get the right ones.

Whats the rush we dont have a game until Wigan, 3 possibly 4(if we sign Gunter) players are currently away on international break anyway, get one in before they return(hopefully the perm) so he has a few days to bed in, then get another in(the loan from a pren team) before the deadline

No rush and we can make sure we get the right players not the wrong players
    But if we're signing free agents who haven't had a proper pre season, they'll need a proper fitness programme to get them up to speed, thus the sooner they arrive the better
  • cafc4life said:

After spending so long as a number 2, I would like to see him get a Championship move.
    Makes me wonder why championship clubs haven't been kicking our doors in with offers that we cant refuse  ?
    Because until 10 days ago, they all thought they could get him for peanuts (Middlesborough tried).  GK is very niche and only one possible position in the 1st team, which often sees the same person appear for many many consecutive games.  Maybe there are just no free GK 1st team places in championship at the moment for him to fill and he does not want to be a reserve.  
  • I'm looking for the couple of signings that are going to elevate us. make promotion likely rather than possible. In the meantime Gunter looks sensible.