Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Leuth said:
    We've signed Watson, Levitt and Gilbey, all of whom play central midfield, in addition to Morgan and Vennings, who are good enough to get game time. Are you saying our new signings aren't fit for purpose? They had energy against Sunderland, just nobody to pass to!

I think people have been thrown by the Gilbey injury. You don't sign a whole new midfielder and waste precious wages because of a minor injury 
    I also think people are second guessing how Bowyer wants to play.  The best Bowyer sides have been with a diamond and 2 mobile forwards. 

Not only does he not have the forwards he has 2 wide players now, about 4 or 5 who could play at the base, 3 or 4 "10s" but only really 1 or 2 who can play inbetween.

If he is going to play 433 or 343 he needs 3 maybe even 4 forwards. And would have far to many midfielders including 2 that wouldn't work in that formation at all. 

We need a right back and center half what ever.

It's going to be a busy week. 
  • Heard Celtic are in for Snodgrass now.
    Pretty much a done deal on loan. 
    Off now west ham wanted too much money apparently 
  • Beram Kayal is available on a free :smiley:
  • Oggy Red said:
    It's not absolute priority but I'd still like to see us pick up a midfield spoiler. We're always better with that kind of player, a midfielder who can break up the play and then move it on. Bielik and Field made us better as a team overall by allowing the passers to move the ball on more quickly further up the pitch. Pratley is 600 years old and shouldn't be playing every game, so it would be good to bring in a younger player who is a bit more comfortable on the ball. I think we should be looking to shift Oztumer, JFC and maybe Lapslie as I don't really see them as being capable of playing the way we want to. We have a lot of midfielders but a lot of them play a very similar way and there's some in there who you'd rather not see play at all given the choice
    I worry that we've never really seemed to give Oztumer much of a chance (I'd almost be inclined to see if we could play him with Aneke, more as a kind of auxiliary striker than our normal interpretation of attacking midfielder).

My feeling is that he has been playing too far away from goal for us (often only on the field when we're on the back foot), and that his positioning for Walsall was further forward.

I can honestly see him as one we sell on, only to have him haunt us in the future (admittedly, there have been a few).
    Walsall got the best out of Oztumer, with a stunning goals return.

But then they set their team up to allow Ozzy to perform, almost a free role, licence to make runs from deep unmarked and exploit pockets of space. He scored many of his goals with late runs.

They didn't seem to play him alongside the striker though.

I suppose what I was trying to suggest is a more advanced position than we've generally had him, so that he would be first to support a striker (which would probably mean taking away most defensive responsibilities).

We know he can be a real attacking threat at this level, why not see if we can accommodate him as an attacker?
  • Sponsored links:

• This transfer deadline day is pretty pointless for us, apart from either signing Schwartz or not. 

Next Friday is the important one, although I would prefer we got things sorted asap so the new players had time to bed in, get fit & get used to formations etc......or we will get to next Friday & then will be told that x,y&z have been signed but it will be 3 weeks before we see them play. 

• Randers have just sold a Danish U21 international striker to Preston for a significant fee - hence their interest in Schwartz.
  • edited October 2020
    mendonca said:
    Oztumer is so small that if he's not dominating games with wizardry, you're virtually letting the opposition team double up on you in that area of the pitch.

Mmmmh, Charlton fans counting down till the International transfer deadline will only lead to one thing - disappointment. It does not appear that we are going to get/announce Schwarz and I cannot see any other foreign signing personally
    That's the spirit, each to their own in managing expectations I suppose.

What will be will be however the strength of the squad isn't dependant on what happens today, it's by 5pm on the 16th October that is the key date and time 😉.
  • Oggy Red said:
    It's not absolute priority but I'd still like to see us pick up a midfield spoiler. We're always better with that kind of player, a midfielder who can break up the play and then move it on. Bielik and Field made us better as a team overall by allowing the passers to move the ball on more quickly further up the pitch. Pratley is 600 years old and shouldn't be playing every game, so it would be good to bring in a younger player who is a bit more comfortable on the ball. I think we should be looking to shift Oztumer, JFC and maybe Lapslie as I don't really see them as being capable of playing the way we want to. We have a lot of midfielders but a lot of them play a very similar way and there's some in there who you'd rather not see play at all given the choice
    I worry that we've never really seemed to give Oztumer much of a chance (I'd almost be inclined to see if we could play him with Aneke, more as a kind of auxiliary striker than our normal interpretation of attacking midfielder).

My feeling is that he has been playing too far away from goal for us (often only on the field when we're on the back foot), and that his positioning for Walsall was further forward.

I can honestly see him as one we sell on, only to have him haunt us in the future (admittedly, there have been a few).
    Walsall got the best out of Oztumer, with a stunning goals return.

But then they set their team up to allow Ozzy to perform, almost a free role, licence to make runs from deep unmarked and exploit pockets of space. He scored many of his goals with late runs.

They didn't seem to play him alongside the striker though.

I suppose what I was trying to suggest is a more advanced position than we've generally had him, so that he would be first to support a striker (which would probably mean taking away most defensive responsibilities).

We know he can be a real attacking threat at this level, why not see if we can accommodate him as an attacker?
    It's no coincidence that Ozzy and Williams both played thier best games for us early on last season.

Both are brilliant "10s" at this level, if the team is set up right.  Both are average, at best, when it's not. Neither can play the "8" or out wide.  It would be suicidal to play either in the middle of a 442.

Are we going to play in a way that suits them?  The presents of Doughty and Maddison suggests not. 
  • This transfer deadline day is pretty pointless for us, apart from either signing Schwartz or not. 

Next Friday is the important one, although I would prefer we got things sorted asap so the new players had time to bed in, get fit & get used to formations etc......or we will get to next Friday & then will be told that x,y&z have been signed but it will be 3 weeks before we see them play. 

Maybe we have other International based targets as well as Schwartz.  
  • When does the winter windows open? If we only have two months till we can start doing business again, that's a good thing
  • So Ben Godfrey is off to Everton for an initial £25M. Can someone please remind me how much Liverpool paid for Joe Gomez.
  • Sponsored links:

• So Ben Godfrey is off to Everton for an initial £25M. Can someone please remind me how much Liverpool paid for Joe Gomez.
    Watching last night it was too much....
    Did you see Gomez last night? Lol

Just kidding 
  • Doesn’t look like any signings today for Charlton 

• edited October 2020
    I’m a bit confused about Schwartz. Reported fee of £220k for a striker even at age 31 is very cheap for clubs both in this country and in mainland Europe. Doesn’t appear to have been a stampede for his signature despite his scoring exploits last season. Even with little or even no competition for his signature, Charlton haven’t pulled this off. You have to wonder why ?
  • I’m a bit confused about Schwartz. Reported fee of £220k for a striker even at age 31 is very cheap for clubs both in this country and in mainland Europe. Doesn’t appear to have been a stampede for his signature despite his scoring exploits last season. Even with little or even no competition for his signature, Charlton haven’t pulled this off. You have to wonder why ?
    You would hope it’s because Gallen and Bowyer have better options open to them. 
  • Doesn’t look like any signings today for Charlton 

Note he doesn't say anything about out's , lets just hope Celtic are
    not open today :)
  • I’m a bit confused about Schwartz. Reported fee of £220k for a striker even at age 31 is very cheap for clubs both in this country and in mainland Europe. Doesn’t appear to have been a stampede for his signature despite his scoring exploits last season. Even with little or even no competition for his signature, Charlton haven’t pulled this off. You have to wonder why ?
    You would hope it’s because Gallen and Bowyer have better options open to them. 
    Agree but we’ve been pursuing it for quite a few weeks and has even been reported as being done. Surely all parties have known the salary restrictions from day one. I wonder why it’s fallen over.
  • Or its because he's not interested in £2k per week 

We aren't under an embargo anymore, we can offer him £10k a week as long as all the other players don't come to more than £2.5m a year...as explained loads on this thread
  • SamE7 said:
    Or its because he's not interested in £2k per week 

We aren't under an embargo anymore, we can offer him £10k a week as long as all the other players don't come to more than £2.5m a year...as explained loads on this thread
    How close are we to that though