Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Cullen going Anderlecht for £800k.

Fuck this wage cap.
    Don't believe that price.
  • MattF said:
    Sorry Matt, I've read this about 10 times on 10 different threads! :smile:

• Are we letting nostalgia getting the better of us?
    Memory certainly playing tricks. 
    Bielik was a liability in his early games for us.
    Pulled off at half time by L.B. for his dire performance against Rochdale if my memory is correct.
    As for Cullen, his previous loan club from Wet Spam was Bradford.
    Some on here were questioning his ability in the early days.

It's their roles that are missing I'm saying

Aribo - Gilbey
    Cullen -  (Watson?)
    Bileik - (Levitt?) 
    Pratley - Pratley
    Morgan - Morgan 
    Williams - Williams
    JFC - JFC 

Are Watson and Levitt comparable as to what role they play? Personally think not and given Williams' injury record and JFC and Morgan struggling, Watson and Levitt are 2 bodies to cover them, take Williams and JFC out for a couple of months for injury and form....and the midfield doesn't look so strong anymore even with Vennings thrown in, who in a perfect world will go out on loan with Davison. 

Gilbey 
    Watson
    Levitt
    Morgan
    Pratley
    Vennings

Still expect to see at least one more CM come in, it's Bowyer. He has a hard on for them. 

• Oggy Red said:
    MattF said:

Yeah my bad, was more in response to the disbelief on this thread at the price 
  • 800k yet Bonne is worth £2 million. I know who I’d rather have.
    Bonne's the striker, the one who's scored goals. Strikers always fetch a premium price. It's just the way it is.

• CAFCsayer said:
    Cullen going Anderlecht for £800k.

Fuck this wage cap.
    Can't believe they would let him go for 800k
    Pete O'Rourke is a respected sports journalist. Usually bang on the money.

• Is 800k a loan fee?
  • Sponsored links:

• Is 800k a loan fee?
    I don't know for sure, but I believe Cullen had just the 1 year left on his contract?

If that's right, surely they'd sell him on a permanent, rather than loan him and let him go for nothing next summer?

• edited October 2020
    MattF said:
    Oggy Red said:
    MattF said:

Yeah my bad, was more in response to the disbelief on this thread at the price 
    @MattF only pulling your leg mate. :smile:

• I bet Maddison knows what strikers are going to be joining us otherwise I don’t think he would have signed.

Maddison joined Charlton because he was out of work; that was the main reason.
    I believe he wants to work with Lee Bowyer but the main reason is a troubled footballer needs to play football. He stated he was unhappy and down on his 27th birthday last week before signing.

Artists need to paint
    Casanova's need to shag
    Singers need to croon
    Gareth Bale needs to play golf.

And Fanny needs to tingle.....
  • Sure I saw West Ham wanted £7m for Cullen last night...that de-escalated quickly!

as for Doughty - I watched Celtic earlier and they were dreadful.  Fucking awful.  He should get a good year with us and see where that gets him.
  • Chunes said:
    Doughty has shown a few times he can go past people even in isolated spaces. He also makes runs in behind to score goals. He's just not playing well at the moment. Young players have these periods. And to be fair, very few people are playing well.
    Completely agree, I just think Bowyer see’s him as undroppable at the moment and that’s doing him more harm than good. 

He needs to be broken in like Morgan. He’s had a meteoric rise and needs to be brought back down to earth somewhat. 
  • £7M was always nonsense.  £800K is about right.  I think Cullen is excellent but he is a Championship level midfielder in the last year of his contract.  He should not be going for more than that.  Just a shame we were relegated as in the Championship I reckon we would have got him back.
  • If we stayed up we would have signed Cullen, 100%. Sarr would have been offered a new deal, Bonne would be 3rd choice striker at best, Phillips in goal having signed a new deal, and we'd all be complaining that Sandgaard hasn't broken our transfer record yet.

800k for Cullen is horrible to see, even in League 1 if there wasn't a wage cap that'd be attainable, especially with the lure of playing under LB
  • Amazing how people’s opinions change after a couple of bad games. Doughty is the best player in our squad and we all know it. Yes his main strength is raw pace but he is also a very good footballer. The players around him and the fact he is now a known entity (teams doubling up on him) is why he’s struggled this season. What this does do though is free up more space for other players to exploit. Having him and Maddison in the same team will make life very hard for the opposition.
    Please tell what he’s good at apart from running? 

I’m not saying he’s a bad player, when he’s good he’s very good - he’s just nowhere near as good as some people think he is. When the squads more balanced and he settles into his role then he’ll be just fine. 

I don’t want him to go as I really like him, it’s not often you see that sort of raw pace -  I just don’t want everyone to build him up to be the next Bale when he’s not that. He’s not even the next Lookman. 
  • Is it possible that LB chose that team to emphasise the need for new experienced players??? just asking
    Bows won’t have to play those kind of games with Thomas, who I think will have the good sense to trust the judgement of Bowyer and Gallen. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope Thomas knows enough about English football in getting the right players in with Lee and Steve.
  • I hope Thomas knows enough about English football in getting the right players in with Lee and Steve.
    I think he will delegate the choices to Steve and Lee, but he will set the budget.
    He astutely made the point In  the short time he was in the commentary box yesterday, that Sunderland had doubled up on Doughty albeit that this was at an early stage in the match. 

Methinks he's pretty "cute"...

...in more ways than one.
    He astutely made the point In  the short time he was in the commentary box yesterday, that Sunderland had doubled up on Doughty albeit that this was at an early stage in the match. 

Methinks he's pretty "cute"...

...in more ways than one.
    Typical he shreds on his guitar and women swoon.

• Amazing how people’s opinions change after a couple of bad games. Doughty is the best player in our squad and we all know it. Yes his main strength is raw pace but he is also a very good footballer. The players around him and the fact he is now a known entity (teams doubling up on him) is why he’s struggled this season. What this does do though is free up more space for other players to exploit. Having him and Maddison in the same team will make life very hard for the opposition.

I’m not saying he’s a bad player, when he’s good he’s very good - he’s just nowhere near as good as some people think he is. When the squads more balanced and he settles into his role then he’ll be just fine. 

I don’t want him to go as I really like him, it’s not often you see that sort of raw pace -  I just don’t want everyone to build him up to be the next Bale when he’s not that. He’s not even the next Lookman. 
    Pace is a real asset nowadays.  You can’t teach that  and it’s something that marks him out above many peers.  His delivery needs work and that most definitely is coachable.  Get him working with Maddison on delivery and we’ll reap the rewards.

he is also very direct and that scares defenders.  Once he gets more experience his decision making will improve.  He gets in good positions but does everything at 100mph.  He needs to make a yard of space and then compose himself and then deliver.  Again Maddison can help with this as will regular first team football - which he will get with us.

I don’t think he is our best or most important player but he does have an incredible amount of potential but he needs to take a look at Lookman before following the dollar...he’s likely to make a lot of money in this game but he doesn’t need to make it right now...now he needs to learn his craft
  • limeygent said:
    A one-year contract for Cullen probably means we'll get him back a year from now after we get promoted.
    Can't see Anderlecht paying a fee to then only get him on a 1 year contract.
  • Swisdom said:
    Amazing how people’s opinions change after a couple of bad games. Doughty is the best player in our squad and we all know it. Yes his main strength is raw pace but he is also a very good footballer. The players around him and the fact he is now a known entity (teams doubling up on him) is why he’s struggled this season. What this does do though is free up more space for other players to exploit. Having him and Maddison in the same team will make life very hard for the opposition.

Pace is a real asset nowadays.  You can’t teach that  and it’s something that marks him out above many peers.  His delivery needs work and that most definitely is coachable.  Get him working with Maddison on delivery and we’ll reap the rewards.

he is also very direct and that scares defenders.  Once he gets more experience his decision making will improve.  He gets in good positions but does everything at 100mph.  He needs to make a yard of space and then compose himself and then deliver.  Again Maddison can help with this as will regular first team football - which he will get with us.

I don’t think he is our best or most important player but he does have an incredible amount of potential but he needs to take a look at Lookman before following the dollar...he’s likely to make a lot of money in this game but he doesn’t need to make it right now...now he needs to learn his craft
    Yeah that’s my main point, he needs to learn his craft. At the moment we’re looking to him to drag us through games and create something out of nothing when he’s just not ready for that. 

He needs competition for his place and a bit more rotation. If he learns how to cross from deep then he’ll be in the (Scottish) Premier League before next season. 
  • Notice that Preston have just signed some Danish U21 Striker from Randers another side in their top flight

Along with Portsmouth bringing in that Defender from the same club as Schwartz its not just us looking in Denmark...
    And as his replacement Randers are looking at....Ronnie Schwartz. Randers being one of his former clubs. Source: Tipsbladet.dk this weekend.
  • Are we still able to sign Prem players on loan after tomorrow?