Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• I think we are kidding ourselves  - the midfield is shockingly poor - if you compare Levitt, Vennings, Oztumer etc with Bielik, Cullen, Aribo etc we will have no chance of promotion with this midfield - Gilbey looks OK but its early days - tbh I’m not very optimistic about this season. 
    It normally takes us 3 years to get out of this division and despite Thomas’s expectations, I think its pretty unrealistic 
    When we first signed Bielik and Cullen how many people thought they would have had the season they had

No reason Gilbey, Levitt or Vennings couldn't do the same 
    Gilbey maybe, but neither Vennings or Levitt have exactly hit the ground running.

Hope you're right though.
  • Bielik and Cullen had both had loan spells before in this division and in Cullens case reached the play offs with Bradford. 
    If you had to pick which was the Man Utd player and who came up through our academy today - who would you have chosen ? 
    Levitt is not ready or strong enough, Vennings is promising but not ready yet 
  • Getting a little bit concerned now that others have said Alfie looked a bit disinterested this afternoon. And now others have said he's a bit of a square peg in a round hole!

Surely we have to keep hold of him?

Selling this boy doesn't fit with the vision Sandgaard has presented. I think he's got the tools to go to the very top.
    Bowyer's success has been with a diamond. The squad, the last 18 months, was built to play that. Doughty does not, naturally, fit into it.

He has to play Doughty because he is one of his best players. 

There is no point selling him because he wouldn't be able to spend the money anyway. 

What would you do?  Like I said it's a headache. 
  • A bit surprised there aren’t more rumours after the game apart from Swisdom’s nugget. The next two weeks really are crucial! 
  • I bet Maddison knows what strikers are going to be joining us otherwise I don’t think he would have signed.
    As opposed to the strikers that are ment to be signing for all the other clubs queuing up to sign him? 
  • Bielik and Cullen had both had loan spells before in this division and in Cullens case reached the play offs with Bradford. 
    If you had to pick which was the Man Utd player and who came up through our academy today - who would you have chosen ? 
    Levitt is not ready or strong enough, Vennings is promising but not ready yet 
    Cullen was 22 when he joined us, with plenty of experience on loan already

Levitt is far more raw. Yes he has talent, but I'm yet to see why Bowyer and Gallen were so keen to bring him in to fill (at the time) our ONE spare place in the squad instead of a defender
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Why is everyone saying we need a winger?

Bowyer has never played with wingers, out of choice. 

As I have said before Doughty gives him a bit of a head ache. 
    He doesn't with Maddison coming in from RW in a 433. 
    To make that work he needs a different striker, and different midfields, and probably full backs to what he has got. 

To me it's looking like he will go with a 4-1-2-1-2 in the middle term.

Really wouldn't surprise me if he sold Oztumer and Lapslie, maybe even JFC, to balance that as he is going to end up with players who have no chance of playing. 
    4-1-2-1-2? I would love to be in a dressing room hearing an explanation of how that works. Not even the diamond works like that.
  • Eisa was an unused sub for Peterborough today... could he be about to move on? 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I think we are kidding ourselves  - the midfield is shockingly poor - if you compare Levitt, Vennings, Oztumer etc with Bielik, Cullen, Aribo etc we will have no chance of promotion with this midfield - Gilbey looks OK but its early days - tbh I’m not very optimistic about this season. 
    It normally takes us 3 years to get out of this division and despite Thomas’s expectations, I think its pretty unrealistic 
    When we first signed Bielik and Cullen how many people thought they would have had the season they had

Gilbey maybe, but neither Vennings or Levitt have exactly hit the ground running.

Vennings has just turned 20 though. Has plenty of time to progress. Levitt even younger, I’m sure he’ll get better as the season goes on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Steve Gallen and Lee Bowyer all like Levitt and think he is a great player then who are we to write him off after 3 games, think I will wait a bit before deciding how good he is 
    We are fickle opinionated football fans.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I think we are kidding ourselves  - the midfield is shockingly poor - if you compare Levitt, Vennings, Oztumer etc with Bielik, Cullen, Aribo etc we will have no chance of promotion with this midfield - Gilbey looks OK but its early days - tbh I’m not very optimistic about this season. 

Vennings has just turned 20 though. Has plenty of time to progress. Levitt even younger, I’m sure he’ll get better as the season goes on. 
    I agree, I thought Vennings had a good game. The fact is, if we had a good side and one of those players were introduced into it they would perform better.
  • If Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Steve Gallen and Lee Bowyer all like Levitt and think he is a great player then who are we to write him off after 3 games, think I will wait a bit before deciding how good he is 
    Agree, although it’s not true to say that all Man Utd youths make it in the game, nor is it true to say they aren’t sending him out hoping he does well and watching on eagerly. Having said that, he is a full Wales international now. 
  • Squad just feels so weak. 

We need 7-8 new players still and in an ideal world we would loan out Lapslie, Davidson and Morgan until January and move on JFC.

Oshilaja, Purrington, Oztumer, Pratley and Washington should all be back up at best.
    Our striker with 2 goals you want as back up?

With the right service he should be very decent. As he showed with the scuffed volley and instinct header from Deji's bullet header.
    Thought he was class against Lincoln but terrible today. Classic case of being a young player and learning the game. Probably didn’t help movement was non existent in front of him
  • Sponsored links:

• I bet Maddison knows what strikers are going to be joining us otherwise I don’t think he would have signed.
    I bet he doesn’t.
  • Squad just feels so weak. 

We need 7-8 new players still and in an ideal world we would loan out Lapslie, Davidson and Morgan until January and move on JFC.

Oshilaja, Purrington, Oztumer, Pratley and Washington should all be back up at best.
    I feel so too about the players you list. Maybe except for Washington, he needs a striking partner. We have Gilbey and Pearce who are out injured though, who will be good for us when coming back, and the same goes for Maddison when he is match fit. A midfield with Watson, Gilbey and Maddison would be quite good actually. We do urgently need a senior RB, CB and striker.
  • Sage said:
    Ideally, I think we still need around another 6 or so players if we are to be serious about competing.

It’s a long old season with games coming thick and fast when we return from the international breaks. We can’t rely on young players to get us through, it simply would not be fair.

Amos
    Maynard-Brewer

New Right-Back
    New Right-Back
    New Centre-Back
    Oshilaja
    Pearce
    Famewo
    Purrington
    New Left-Back

Watson
    Pratley
    Levitt
    Forster-Caskey
    Gilbey
    Lapslie
    Morgan
    Williams
    Oztumer
    Maddison
    Doughty
    New Attacking Midfielder/Winger

New Striker
    New Striker
    Washington
    Aneke

Some may say that’s too many, but you’ve got a good handful of players in that lot who unfortunately are either likely to get injured at some point, or unable to play games in such quick succession. You then have the suspensions and loss of form, it’s important we don’t leave ourselves short.

This also allows players like Barker and Vennings to naturally develop without the pressure of trying to win promotion from what is a tough league to get out of if you don’t get it right. It allows us to send Davison out on loan, at least until January, get him some better experience and scoring some goals.

Phillips I am sure will be sold before the window shuts. I hope we don’t lose anyone else.

We desperately need a few defenders, another midfielder because the quality is just not there yet, and so desperately need a couple of good strikers who can play, and score regularly.

Lots of work still to do, but I am sure we will get a flurry of them in soon. The sooner the better and they can be settled and worked with throughout this break.

Quality over quantity, I know, but we need both, so the quantity must have the quality too. That’s the tough part. 
    I agree with most of what you say, but think Doughty is a left back and is only playing up front because of the deficiencies in the squad.
  • Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    Ideally, I think we still need around another 6 or so players if we are to be serious about competing.

It’s a long old season with games coming thick and fast when we return from the international breaks. We can’t rely on young players to get us through, it simply would not be fair.

Amos
    Maynard-Brewer

New Right-Back
    New Right-Back
    New Centre-Back
    Oshilaja
    Pearce
    Famewo
    Purrington
    New Left-Back

Watson
    Pratley
    Levitt
    Forster-Caskey
    Gilbey
    Lapslie
    Morgan
    Williams
    Oztumer
    Maddison
    Doughty

New Striker
    New Striker
    Washington
    Aneke

Some may say that’s too many, but you’ve got a good handful of players in that lot who unfortunately are either likely to get injured at some point, or unable to play games in such quick succession. You then have the suspensions and loss of form, it’s important we don’t leave ourselves short.

This also allows players like Barker and Vennings to naturally develop without the pressure of trying to win promotion from what is a tough league to get out of if you don’t get it right. It allows us to send Davison out on loan, at least until January, get him some better experience and scoring some goals.

Phillips I am sure will be sold before the window shuts. I hope we don’t lose anyone else.

We desperately need a few defenders, another midfielder because the quality is just not there yet, and so desperately need a couple of good strikers who can play, and score regularly.

Lots of work still to do, but I am sure we will get a flurry of them in soon. The sooner the better and they can be settled and worked with throughout this break.

Quality over quantity, I know, but we need both, so the quantity must have the quality too. That’s the tough part. 
    I agree with most of what you say, but think Doughty is a left back and is only playing up front because of the deficiencies in the squad.
    See I think it's pretty much the opposite, didn't he play on the wing in the youth sides mostly and only played left wing back/left back as an emergency?
  • No wonder Celtic are confused. 
  • edited October 2020
    sam3110 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:

Amos
    Maynard-Brewer

New Right-Back
    New Right-Back
    New Centre-Back
    Oshilaja
    Pearce
    Famewo
    Purrington
    New Left-Back

Watson
    Pratley
    Levitt
    Forster-Caskey
    Gilbey
    Lapslie
    Morgan
    Williams
    Oztumer
    Maddison
    Doughty

New Striker
    New Striker
    Washington
    Aneke

See I think it's pretty much the opposite, didn't he play on the wing in the youth sides mostly and only played left wing back/left back as an emergency?
    Agree with this, his best defensive attribute is his pace. Defensively a natural full back in a flat back four he isn't imo which was very apparrent when he first broke into the first team.

He has improved defensively, no doubt with Jacko's coaching and that's not to say he won't make a good wing back in a five man defence but a solid LB he's not at present.
  • edited October 2020
    I bet Maddison knows what strikers are going to be joining us otherwise I don’t think he would have signed.

Maddison joined Charlton because he was out of work; that was the main reason.
    I believe he wants to work with Lee Bowyer but the main reason is a troubled footballer needs to play football. He stated he was unhappy and down on his 27th birthday last week before signing.

Artists need to paint
    Casanova's need to shag
    Singers need to croon
    Gareth Bale needs to play golf.

• Doughty very much played as a winger in the youth teams and for Bromley.
  • MattF said:

Why are people still quoting this Nixon bloke dont think he's ever got anything right.