Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Could be a good ploy by Bowyer this weekend.

It's well documented we've got money, but the current crop might think they're safe due to the cap.

But Bows has signalled his intentions with the sale of Bonne. He's clearing the decks and making some space.

If I was in the squad now I might just think this weekend would be a good time to showcase my talents.
    But we would only have counted the league average (pretty low) towards the cap for Bonne’s salary, whereas anyone incoming now will have their full salary counted. Selling Bonne for £2M is undoubtedly good business and it was the right thing, but it hurts us from a salary cap perspective.
     True. But what what I was also trying to get at is that a lot of bodies in the squad should be looking over their shoulders.

As I said,TS seems to be setting us on a fast track to get out of this league. Offers may come in for the likes of Lapslie, Otzumer and even maybe Pearce or Williams. The offers may not make financial sense but in terms of quality and whether or not better is available a lot of sense.

Strange times for a Charlton fan.

• Indeed they are. We've been the proverbial 'basket case' for so long, we've forgotten what it felt like to support a well run and respected football club. And it may also take some time to recover our own self respect, but at least the early signs are encouraging on both fronts.
  • se9addick said:
    Could be a good ploy by Bowyer this weekend.

It's well documented we've got money, but the current crop might think they're safe due to the cap.

But Bows has signalled his intentions with the sale of Bonne. He's clearing the decks and making some space.

If I was in the squad now I might just think this weekend would be a good time to showcase my talents.
    But we would only have counted the league average (pretty low) towards the cap for Bonne’s salary, whereas anyone incoming now will have their full salary counted. Selling Bonne for £2M is undoubtedly good business and it was the right thing, but it hurts us from a salary cap perspective.
     True. But what what I was also trying to get at is that a lot of bodies in the squad should be looking over their shoulders.

As I said,TS seems to be setting us on a fast track to get out of this league. Offers may come in for the likes of Lapslie, Otzumer and even maybe Pearce or Williams. The offers may not make financial sense but in terms of quality and whether or not better is available a lot of sense.

Strange times for a Charlton fan.

I do expect us to still make top 6. Most likely 6th on the final day rather than anything higher. However, as long as we are building towards stability and not seeing 20 players leave and 15 join every summer I will be happy. 
  • Only got until Monday to complete Schwartz transfer with the window for international transfers closong
  • Only got until Monday to complete Schwartz transfer with the window for international transfers closong
    But his club have the same problem, so come Monday the deal might be easier to conclude.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not ITK but Martin Sandgaard told me that we have creative ways of getting around the wage cap and the deal for Ronnie Schwartz isn’t dead it’s just become more difficult than first imagined. 

He also mentioned the deal for Bonne was £2m with a 20% sell on clause. 
    I wonder if that's 20% of any future fee or 20% of QPR's profit on any future fee? 
  • Not ITK but Martin Sandgaard told me that we have creative ways of getting around the wage cap and the deal for Ronnie Schwartz isn’t dead it’s just become more difficult than first imagined. 

I might be out of the loop here but Who is MARTIN Sandgaard? 
  • Redrobo said:
    Not ITK but Martin Sandgaard told me that we have creative ways of getting around the wage cap and the deal for Ronnie Schwartz isn’t dead it’s just become more difficult than first imagined. 

Maybe one way around it is to over pay on the transfer fee so selling club can pay a golden goodbye?
    This. Not that I like "creative accounting" but the EFL have not left us with many options if we want to actually build a squad to compete in this league. And I mean compete, not win it. 

Agree a deal with the selling club. They want £1.5m but the player wants £5k pw. We can only offer him half that. 2 yr contract that equates to around £250k. We pay them £2m & they give him £250k. Win win win.
  • cafcwill said:
    Not ITK but Martin Sandgaard told me that we have creative ways of getting around the wage cap and the deal for Ronnie Schwartz isn’t dead it’s just become more difficult than first imagined. 

I might be out of the loop here but Who is MARTIN Sandgaard? 
    Is Martin ITK or another for the list!
  • edited October 2020
    Pretty sure Martin is Thomas' son

Edit, yep:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/martin-sandgaard-aa147b9b 

Not in the know but Martin????? Sandgaard told me.....I’m fairly certain that this comment counts as being in the know and you will now be added to dazzlers list
    Martin is Thomas' son. 
  • Redrobo said:

Maybe one way around it is to over pay on the transfer fee so selling club can pay a golden goodbye?
    Risky strategy.  Say we want a player but salary cap does not allow so we pay £1M more, he gets his golden goodbye, and comes to us on £2K ow.  6 months later another team offers 5K a week to the player... Player wants to leave to chase the money.  We now have an unhappy player, and a pissed off owner.  All gets very messy.
  • Redrobo said:

Risky strategy.  Say we want a player but salary cap does not allow so we pay £1M more, he gets his golden goodbye, and comes to us on £2K ow.  6 months later another team offers 5K a week to the player... Player wants to leave to chase the money.  We now have an unhappy player, and a pissed off owner.  All gets very messy.
    I agree, but that can happen to any player at any club......unless you are Gareth Bale.
  • Redrobo said:

I agree, but that can happen to any player at any club......unless you are Gareth Bale.
    Hire their Mrs as a 3k a week boot cleaner
  • Sponsored links:

Did the EFL not say that any 'creative' methods to circumvent the wage cap would be severely punished?
  • MattF said:
    Chunes said:

Did the EFL not say that any 'creative' methods to circumvent the wage cap would be severely punished?
    Any intentional rule breaking I think they said, probably in the same way that Derby and Sheffield Wednesday broke the rules and were severely punished
    Right, cheers. I hope that Martin Sandgaard quote isn't accurate then because circumventing the wage cap is an intentional rule break. 
  • I doubt there is an appetite within the club to do so but surely the way to beat the wage cap is to challenge it in court. I’m shocked that the PFA haven't already done so to be honest. I think it could be challenged on several fronts by players. 

Not in the know but Martin????? Sandgaard told me.....I’m fairly certain that this comment counts as being in the know and you will now be added to dazzlers list
    By not ITK I mean I’m not someone close to the club nor do I have any sources feeding me info. 

I’ve been able to directly chat with Martin quite a bit over the past few days and he’s absolutely smitten with Charlton. He’s a lot more involved than I thought he would be, and he seems very invested in the project. 

He’s also a really nice bloke, so Thomas clearly raised his kids well. 

What's Martin's username on Charlton Life?

Not on Charlton Life? Not pwopa Charlton then. :smile:

• MattF said:
    Chunes said:

Any intentional rule breaking I think they said, probably in the same way that Derby and Sheffield Wednesday broke the rules and were severely punished
    SEVERELY PUNISHED. ARE YOU KIDDING. WIGAN WERE SEVERELY PUNISHED.  DERBY ARE NOT YET PUNISHED?
    I think the post was very tongue in cheek......
  • MattF said:
    Chunes said:

Might be a difference between "intentional rule breaking" and "creative ways of getting around the wage cap", perhaps?

A bit like the difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance?

• Oggy Red said:
    MattF said:
    Chunes said:

Might be a difference between "intentional rule breaking" and "creative ways of getting around the wage cap", perhaps?

A bit like the difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance?

I'd taken intentional rule breaking as saying fuck it and just signing players up on big wages and daring the EFL to do something about it. Depends how the EFL plan to police it and if they have the capacity to do it themselves