Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• CAFCOlly said:
    Interpret it to mean we couldn't refuse £2m as it was too good an offer for Bonne (ie. Bowyer essentially implying we got more than he is probably worth), rather than we couldn't refuse due to any pressing financial/business reasons.
    doesn't say that though 'to sell for the money we are is something the football club and us as a business couldn't refuse'.
    Buy for 200k.
    Sell for 2 million. 
    Seriously we couldn't refuse 
    QPR fans sites seem to think the fee was £700K upfront with rest linked to performance.
    This site is a credible one and makes no mention of a figure of £700K - https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/53018/

"The South London Press report the fee as high as £2m, though that would presumably involve a lot of clauses and add-ons ....."

I guess that £700K could be a first instalment but the guaranteed figure will surely be substantially more than that.
  • I hadn't realised that the Liverpool Liam Miller is Canadian and that his father played for us!

https://www.tsn.ca/canadian-international-liam-millar-making-his-mark-in-the-liverpool-ranks-1.1486525

His father, Alan, played several years for England's Charlton Athletic before an injury cut his career short. Growing up, Liam played for Brampton Youth SC and North Mississauga.

I don’t recall an Alan Millar playing for us. When was it and what position?
  • I hadn't realised that the Liverpool Liam Miller is Canadian and that his father played for us!

https://www.tsn.ca/canadian-international-liam-millar-making-his-mark-in-the-liverpool-ranks-1.1486525

His father, Alan, played several years for England's Charlton Athletic before an injury cut his career short. Growing up, Liam played for Brampton Youth SC and North Mississauga.

Not a first teamer

• I’d be concerned if we’ve sold Bonne without virtually acquiring a striker, would be stupid to sell and then start looking 
    Exactly ................. it's the Charlton way. Absolutely fucking ridiculous, clubs will now say well they are DESPERATE to sign so & so + they have a new owner who's worth  a bit lets lump another few hundred thousand on the price. I'm just surprised that I'm so surprised & pissed off.
  • We have tomorrow's game, then by the next time we play both the international and domestic transfer windows will be closed and we'll have our final squad. It's frustrating but in the long run it's much better to wait (if they think there will be better options coming up) than rush people in for this one match. 
    Taking this into account, and the latest news on Schwartz, might have been
    a better bet to keep Bonne until we actually had a replacement.
    Now we find ourselves a bit light with Davison, or a possible Chuks (if fit)
    for Saturday :/
    A BIT light ? Could be worse I suppose we could have sold Washington as well
  • We have tomorrow's game, then by the next time we play both the international and domestic transfer windows will be closed and we'll have our final squad. It's frustrating but in the long run it's much better to wait (if they think there will be better options coming up) than rush people in for this one match. 
    Taking this into account, and the latest news on Schwartz, might have been
    a better bet to keep Bonne until we actually had a replacement.
    Now we find ourselves a bit light with Davison, or a possible Chuks (if fit)
    for Saturday :/
    A BIT light ? Could be worse I suppose we could have sold Washington as well
    I wouldn't worry until it's the 16th and we haven't replaced Bonne. We can get by one game with one up top as the deal was worth the finances. Washtington up top alone then Chuks or Davidson for the last 20 is fine.

If we can spend that 2Mil on good L1 players it not only strengthens us but weakens the opposition.
  • Stability is what it’s all about, it’s going to take a little time to get there but we trust in Bowyer and Gallen they will get this right for the medium to long term. This season is a free hit expectations shouldn’t be promotion a d whoever comes in there are no silver bullets.

• I’d be concerned if we’ve sold Bonne without virtually acquiring a striker, would be stupid to sell and then start looking 
    Exactly ................. it's the Charlton way. Absolutely fucking ridiculous, clubs will now say well they are DESPERATE to sign so & so + they have a new owner who's worth  a bit lets lump another few hundred thousand on the price. I'm just surprised that I'm so surprised & pissed off.

• Sponsored links:

Me neither, several years as a schoolboy maybe ? My brain is a bit frazzled these days but that name rings no bells with me at all ? 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    I'm not sure we have got such a good deal there. strikers under 25 with 1 in 3 records in the championship go for around 10m. I really liked bonne, and he will do well I think.. the 1 thing perhaps against him is a bit of a lack of pace.. 
    I agree, however super Clive and Andy hunt were not known for pace. I think here it was more a case of him pushing for it and us holding out for as much as possible
    Super Clive's first touch was sublime.  He scored for Grimsby against us at the Valley in a game they won 3-1 in 95 or 96 where he dropped back into our half in the centre circle for a Charlton corner. They cleared in a well rehearsed move that saw Clive's first touch wrong foot our defence and he out paced them with a couple more touches and beat our keeper from 6 yds inside the box at an angle.
    His first touch enabled mid field to score alot hiding it up I  the box and laying it off 
    Hunt could lead a line and play up o his own
    I remember that game and goal, I also remember how happy I was that summer when we actually signed him. Great player an idol for me growing up
  • Clarky said:
    I'm not sure we have got such a good deal there. strikers under 25 with 1 in 3 records in the championship go for around 10m. I really liked bonne, and he will do well I think.. the 1 thing perhaps against him is a bit of a lack of pace.. 
    And his first touch is also lacking.
    And his shooting, other than that.......
  • limeygent said:
    Clarky said:
    And his first touch is also lacking.
    And his shooting, other than that.......
    Hold up play
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Ive made enquiries about a threesome with Candice Swanapoel and Emily Ratajowski.

About as likely as De Sciglio going to Celtic... Who writes this crap 😂
    Their options are Sessegnon, De Sciglio or Alfie Doughty.

Maybe we’re not asking for enough. Alright he’s worth 15m now.
  • Sponsored links:

• What an incredible player Mendonca was , never really got the credit from the sporting press that he richly deserved  .
    He did at Charlton and in Grimsby.  Is he the only player to be voted a legend in two clubs?
    Not sure about official club votes but there must be plenty of players who are considered legends at 2 clubs.

Ronaldo, Cruyff, Pirlo, Shevchenko, Shearer, Gazza, Dalglish, Zidane, Ian Wright
  • reading the last few pages, we are signing mendonca?
  • reading the last few pages, we are signing mendonca?
    Yup that's the rumour I get too
  • What an incredible player Mendonca was , never really got the credit from the sporting press that he richly deserved  .
    He did at Charlton and in Grimsby.  Is he the only player to be voted a legend in two clubs?
    I think Powell was at us and Southend 
  • Not that we have any chance but Cullen is apparently up for sale.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Matthews will go if he gets offered better terms by another club by end of window. Doughty will go if we get offered the money we want by the end of the window -either way, we are going to have a crack at promotion and we have to trust Gallen and Bowyer to know the players that can do that for us. They've done it once, they can do it again. 
    Matthews is a free agent, he can sign for a club whenever, it doesn't have to be by the end of the window.

Although i'd assume it's in his interest to sign for someone sooner rather than later, as clubs will simply sign other options instead of waiting for him.
    correct but the point is that our offer is still on the table but he is going to see if he can get better - which you can't blame him for - by the end of the window when clubs 'put their best foot forward' so to speak - it suggests that he hasn't necessarily received a better offer so far or maybe not substantially better to make him want to move - with this cap in place i struggle to understand how we are even still in with a chance of signing good players like him but there again i don't fully understand the rules and i also think a lot of the wage figures banded about in the championship are higher than they actually are
  • edited October 2020
    Could be a good ploy by Bowyer this weekend.

It's well documented we've got money, but the current crop might think they're safe due to the cap.

But Bows has signalled his intentions with the sale of Bonne. He's clearing the decks and making some space.

If I was in the squad now I might just think this weekend would be a good time to showcase my talents.
    But we would only have counted the league average (pretty low) towards the cap for Bonne’s salary, whereas anyone incoming now will have their full salary counted. Selling Bonne for £2M is undoubtedly good business and it was the right thing, but it hurts us from a salary cap perspective.
  • Selling Bonne for a couple of mill would be great business for us right now. That’s a great return on the £2k we spent.