Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• GK: Amos, AMB
    RB: New signing, Oshilaja / Lapslie / Barker can cover if needed
    CB: New signing, Oshilaja
    CB: Famewo, Pearce
    LB: Purrington, Doughty / Famewo can cover if needed
    CDM: Pratley, Levitt
    CM: Watson, JFC
    CM: Gilbey, Williams
    CAM: Maddison, Oztumer
    RW/LW: Washington, Doughty, New signing, Maddison / Oztumer / Williams can cover if needed
    ST: New Signing, Aneke
    ST: New Signing, Washington can cover if needed

5 signings needed at a minimum though. Then we have the ability to play a few different formations as well as being covered if any position gets injured. This also allows Morgan, Davison, Vennings and other young players a loan if Bows feels they need it as they’re not necessarily required. As long as they’re available to be recalled incase of another injury crisis.
    We have to sign a new left back. Purrington is bang average and should only be used as a back-up...
    He was our starting left back last time we got promoted and everyone on here knew him as 7/10 Ben Purrington. Will happily have that again.
    Don't mind Purrington rarely makes a mistake mainly because he doesn't try to play above his ability, he's pretty solid and pops up with the odd goal now and again. 
  • GK: Amos, AMB
    RB: New signing, Oshilaja / Lapslie / Barker can cover if needed
    CB: New signing, Oshilaja
    CB: Famewo, Pearce
    LB: Purrington, Doughty / Famewo can cover if needed
    CDM: Pratley, Levitt
    CM: Watson, JFC
    CM: Gilbey, Williams
    CAM: Maddison, Oztumer
    RW/LW: Washington, Doughty, New signing, Maddison / Oztumer / Williams can cover if needed
    ST: New Signing, Aneke
    ST: New Signing, Washington can cover if needed

5 signings needed at a minimum though. Then we have the ability to play a few different formations as well as being covered if any position gets injured. This also allows Morgan, Davison, Vennings and other young players a loan if Bows feels they need it as they’re not necessarily required. As long as they’re available to be recalled incase of another injury crisis.
    We have to sign a new left back. Purrington is bang average and should only be used as a back-up...
    He was our starting left back last time we got promoted and everyone on here knew him as 7/10 Ben Purrington. Will happily have that again.
    At this level Purrington is a very dependable LB in a flat 4-4-2.

But that's not Bowyer's preferred formation ...... he wants his FBs to be be able to bomb forward in a 4-diamond-2, taking advantage of space created by our narrow midfield. Much the same even in 4-3-3.

And in 3-5-2, he wants wingbacks shunting up and down the line constantly, providing the attacking width.
    None of which suits Steady Eddie's game, he's a defender pure and simple. 

I mean, it's not that Bowyer hasn't tried to improve his attacking abilities ...... as we saw with his Wembley goal, and 2 very good Championship goals last season. And when he does get forward, he's capable of putting in a decent cross. 

Nothing much wrong with Purrington's defending though, just that Bowyer's gameplans often demand an extra attacking dimension from his fullbacks. And that's not Purrington's natural game.

• Luciano Massielo?
    Wow that's a name from the past!

I remember my dad and I used to go and see quite a few midweek reserve games at the Valley in the mid-60s when he was in the team. Always liked him but he didn't really manage to make the grade with Charlton. Just checked and he only managed 8 senior appearances before departing to play in Italy (looks like lower divisions) for a few seasons.
  • Purkenbauer is a sweeper now. It's true I've seen it
  • Luciano Massielo?

I remember my dad and I used to go and see quite a few midweek reserve games at the Valley in the mid-60s when he was in the team. Always liked him but he didn't really manage to make the grade with Charlton. Just checked and he only managed 8 senior appearances before departing to play in Italy (looks like lower divisions) for a few seasons.
    Luciano Massiello ........ I've also seen him play for Charlton's 1st team!

From behind the Covered End goal: Remember seeing him get down the line and pull back a tremendous low cross right into the path of the onrushing Graham Moore, who almost broke the net with a thundering 1st time volley on the run from the edge of the box.

Home to Norwich, late 1969, won 3-0 if memory serves me. Something like that.

• Luciano and his sons now own and run a restaurant in Lee called, yes, Luciano's. Good Italian restaurant near Lee station.

Oggy Red said:
    Luciano Massielo?

Luciano Massiello ........ I've also seen him play for Charlton's 1st team!

From behind the Covered End goal: Remember seeing him get down the line and pull back a tremendous low cross right into the path of the onrushing Graham Moore, who almost broke the net with a thundering 1st time volley on the run from the edge of the box.

Home to Norwich, late 1969, won 3-0 if memory serves me. Something like that.

• Apart from the obvious, RB/ RCB/ FWD we most definitely need another midfielder, you can say we're well stocked there all you want but we absolutely do need one.

The old men.
    Pratley - out chief defensive mid, currently enjoying life as a CB.
    Watson - not sure what his game is but should be one of eyebrow raising quality, apparently.

JFC - not looking too good in the middle, new life as a LWB

Morgan - in and out of the team, just not doing enough to start every game for Bowyer.

Williams - like Morgan not doing enough for Bowyer, as a man and player who needs confidence and belief I don't suppose criticising his game and fitness regularly will change anything with him anytime soon.

Vennings - sounded good, but don't fancy pinning all.our hopes of the poor lad, cameos and let him develop.

Levitt- as above, and let's not get carried away with the "he's a Welsh international!!!" He's made exactly 1 appearance for wales, Pirlo, he's not (yet, hopefully, maybe?)

Gilbey - looked decent, hopefully the set back is nothing to worry about. This season's "Aribo" ? 

I see a need, a need for... 2 types of midfielder... I hear a name, no, 2 names....

Bileik
    Cullen.

• Apart from the obvious, RB/ RCB/ FWD we most definitely need another midfielder, you can say we're well stocked there all you want but we absolutely do need one.

The old men.
    Watson - not sure what his game is but should be one of eyebrow raising quality, apparently.

Morgan - in and out of the team, just not doing enough to start every game for Bowyer.

Williams - like Morgan not doing enough for Bowyer, as a man and player who needs confidence and belief I don't suppose criticising his game and fitness regularly will change anything with him anytime soon.

Vennings - sounded good, but don't fancy pinning all.our hopes of the poor lad, cameos and let him develop.

Levitt- as above, and let's not get carried away with the "he's a Welsh international!!!" He's made exactly 1 appearance for wales, Pirlo, he's not (yet, hopefully, maybe?)

Gilbey - looked decent, hopefully the set back is nothing to worry about. This season's "Aribo" ? 

I see a need, a need for... 2 types of midfielder... I hear a name, no, 2 names....

Bileik
    Cullen.

Why do people always hark back to golden ages and glory days like this? Saying it like Watson, Levitt, Vennings and Gilbey can't possibly be as good as Bielik and Cullen - how do you know? Okay, there's nobody there with the raw power of Bielik, but remember he was a converted CB, and we have Pratley for if that sort of destroyer role is needed. Which it shouldn't be, as we ought to play teams off the park.
  • Sooooo. Have we got to a point on this thread where we are talking about how many signings and potential positions rather than thinking up one credible name to offer up a rumour?
  • Sponsored links:

• Sooooo. Have we got to a point on this thread where we are talking about how many signings and potential positions rather than thinking up one credible name to offer up a rumour?
    Absolutely.

The old men.

Bileik
    Cullen.

You missed the bit slagging off Oztumer..... 
  • Doughty on the left side of the diamond is madness. He’s poor at passing, poor at crossing, got no real shooting quality - plus his first touch is woeful. Putting him in a packed midfield isn’t going to help. 

He’s got one key asset that you can’t teach, he’s lightning quick. His speed is the only thing that allows him to keep up with his poor touches. 

I like Doughty but I don’t think he’s going to get as much joy in League One as he did in the Championship. We were always in our own half last season so he had plenty of space to run in to. 

You’ve seen it already this season that teams will target him, park the bus and won’t allow space in behind, that puts us down to 10 men because he doesn’t bring anything else to the table right now. 
    Would you sell him then?
  • Doughty on the left side of the diamond is madness. He’s poor at passing, poor at crossing, got no real shooting quality - plus his first touch is woeful. Putting him in a packed midfield isn’t going to help. 

He’s got one key asset that you can’t teach, he’s lightning quick. His speed is the only thing that allows him to keep up with his poor touches. 

I like Doughty but I don’t think he’s going to get as much joy in League One as he did in the Championship. We were always in our own half last season so he had plenty of space to run in to. 

You’ve seen it already this season that teams will target him, park the bus and won’t allow space in behind, that puts us down to 10 men because he doesn’t bring anything else to the table right now. 
    So quick but poor in your view? Celtic can have him ;)

Agree. Doughty has pace so is great on the counter attack when we can break with speed, but if the opposition defend deep, he won't have that space

Would you sell him then?
    No because we can’t replace him with this wage cap. I just wish he’d be dropped because to me he strolls around the pitch like he’s Bale when he’s not even as good as Kyle Reid. 

Hopefully he signs a new deal and we can sell him next season when we’re either in the Championship or have more time to find a replacement. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Apart from the obvious, RB/ RCB/ FWD we most definitely need another midfielder, you can say we're well stocked there all you want but we absolutely do need one.

The old men.

Bileik
    Cullen.

You missed the bit slagging off Oztumer..... 

Not a central midfielder though. Alright player for the AM slot at league one level.

• Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Doughty has shown a few times he can go past people even in isolated spaces. He also makes runs in behind to score goals. He's just not playing well at the moment. Young players have these periods. And to be fair, very few people are playing well.
  • Chunes said:
    Doughty has shown a few times he can go past people even in isolated spaces. He also makes runs in behind to score goals. He's just not playing well at the moment. Young players have these periods. And to be fair, very few people are playing well.

Agree. He's a 20 year old still learning the game. The team is out of form.
    Put Doughty in a team that was balanced and playing well, he'd look a better player.

Could say that for several players right now, Williams in particular.

• Leuth said:
    Apart from the obvious, RB/ RCB/ FWD we most definitely need another midfielder, you can say we're well stocked there all you want but we absolutely do need one.

The old men.

Bileik
    Cullen.

Why do people always hark back to golden ages and glory days like this? Saying it like Watson, Levitt, Vennings and Gilbey can't possibly be as good as Bielik and Cullen - how do you know? Okay, there's nobody there with the raw power of Bielik, but remember he was a converted CB, and we have Pratley for if that sort of destroyer role is needed. Which it shouldn't be, as we ought to play teams off the park.

Well, reading what I wrote, I know Watson, Levitt and vennings won't be as good as Beilik and Cullen, as, again, reading what I wrote... Those 3 aren't Cullen or Beilik type players, as reading what I wrote, I said "I see a need for two TYPES of midfielder, like how you agree none are like the Beilik TYPE of midfielder. 

We had Pratley last time and still do as you pointed out, but we ONLY have 30somethingIloveabookingandsuspension Pratley to play that role of smashing through players for when we can't play teams off the park, if we actually manage to do.that of course.

Imagine harking back to the last time we were in league one for a comparison, yeah, pretty odd that. Like when a manager gets in a rut but gets a by because "worked wonders last season" like that sort of harking back?  😉

• Is it possible that LB chose that team to emphasise the need for new experienced players??? just asking
  • Cullen going Anderlecht for £800k.

Fuck this wage cap.
    Bargain price.
  • As for Cullen, his previous loan club from Wet Spam was Bradford.
    Some on here were questioning his ability in the early days.
    Bolton Wanderers in the Championship. :wink:

• Are we letting nostalgia getting the better of us?
    Memory certainly playing tricks. 
    Bielik was a liability in his early games for us.
    Pulled off at half time by L.B. for his dire performance against Rochdale if my memory is correct.
    As for Cullen, his previous loan club from Wet Spam was Bradford.
    Some on here were questioning his ability in the early days.
    Bowyer made so many players better that season. I liked Cullen early on but Bielik wasn’t consistent, that game he was taken off from what I remember he was always taking too many touches and running into trouble then losing the ball.
  • Cullen going Anderlecht for £800k.

Fuck this wage cap.
    Can't believe they would let him go for 800k