Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• edited October 2020
    jondon76 said:
    MattF said:

Why are people still quoting this Nixon bloke dont think he's ever got anything right. 
    Because its a rumour on a rumours thread maybe, and Koiki is a name we've been linked with before
  • RedChaser said:
    sam3110 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    Ideally, I think we still need around another 6 or so players if we are to be serious about competing.

It’s a long old season with games coming thick and fast when we return from the international breaks. We can’t rely on young players to get us through, it simply would not be fair.

Amos
    Maynard-Brewer

New Right-Back
    New Right-Back
    New Centre-Back
    Oshilaja
    Pearce
    Famewo
    Purrington
    New Left-Back

Watson
    Pratley
    Levitt
    Forster-Caskey
    Gilbey
    Lapslie
    Morgan
    Williams
    Oztumer
    Maddison
    Doughty
    New Attacking Midfielder/Winger

New Striker
    New Striker
    Washington
    Aneke

Some may say that’s too many, but you’ve got a good handful of players in that lot who unfortunately are either likely to get injured at some point, or unable to play games in such quick succession. You then have the suspensions and loss of form, it’s important we don’t leave ourselves short.

This also allows players like Barker and Vennings to naturally develop without the pressure of trying to win promotion from what is a tough league to get out of if you don’t get it right. It allows us to send Davison out on loan, at least until January, get him some better experience and scoring some goals.

Phillips I am sure will be sold before the window shuts. I hope we don’t lose anyone else.

We desperately need a few defenders, another midfielder because the quality is just not there yet, and so desperately need a couple of good strikers who can play, and score regularly.

Lots of work still to do, but I am sure we will get a flurry of them in soon. The sooner the better and they can be settled and worked with throughout this break.

Quality over quantity, I know, but we need both, so the quantity must have the quality too. That’s the tough part. 
    I agree with most of what you say, but think Doughty is a left back and is only playing up front because of the deficiencies in the squad.
    See I think it's pretty much the opposite, didn't he play on the wing in the youth sides mostly and only played left wing back/left back as an emergency?
    Agree with this, his best defensive attribute is his pace. Defensively a natural full back in a flat back four he isn't imo which was very apparrent when he first broke into the first team.

He has improved defensively, no doubt with Jacko's coaching and that's not to say he won't make a good wing back in a five man defence but a solid LB he's not at present.
    Yup, and Bow also said when he first came into the team that he isn't a left back but his performances in that role had been outstanding, which is probably why we have continued to use him in that type of role or as a wing-back. His position though is a winger, he just needs better end product and a better touch because his pace gets him out of trouble or poor touches sometimes, against better players, that's not enough.

If we are able to bring in a striker who can score and hold up the ball as well, bringing in another winger would really help us. We could play Doughty on the left, Maddison behind the striker, and another good winger on the right. I think we would see more control of the game and better movement that way too. Far too often we are pedestrian and it's dire. 
  • edited October 2020
    GK: Amos, AMB
    RB: New signing, Oshilaja / Lapslie / Barker can cover if needed
    CB: New signing, Oshilaja
    CB: Famewo, Pearce
    LB: Purrington, Doughty / Famewo can cover if needed
    CDM: Pratley, Levitt
    CM: Watson, JFC
    CM: Gilbey, Williams
    CAM: Maddison, Oztumer
    RW/LW: Washington, Doughty, New signing, Maddison / Oztumer / Williams can cover if needed
    ST: New Signing, Aneke
    ST: New Signing, Washington can cover if needed

5 signings needed at a minimum though. Then we have the ability to play a few different formations as well as being covered if any position gets injured. This also allows Morgan, Davison, Vennings and other young players a loan if Bows feels they need it as they’re not necessarily required. As long as they’re available to be recalled incase of another injury crisis.
  • Surprised at that. Although I was suggesting him for us and praising his finishing, the reason he has not been picked up before - even by the top two up there, is because he is not a hold up player, does not have pace and doesn’t work very hard.
    He is a finisher though. Scores superb goals.
  • Sage said:
    Comparing what we have and need to what we had when we won promotion last time...

In 18/19 season, we had 26 players who made at least 10 appearances.

Of those 26 they included players who were either with us for a short period due to loan, transfer out, and injury: Steer, Page, Ward, Ajose, Grant.

Players who came from the academy: Lapslie, Morgan, Hackett-Fairchild.

Players who didn't feature too much from the start or came in part way through the seasont: Marshall, Fosu, Williams, Purrington, Parker.

When you look at the rest of the squad, we had Forster-Caskey who was injured, Clarke who failed to make any appearances in the league and was let go in January, and then the regular players we used.

We only really relied on Lapslie (who made a total of 32 appearances that season), and Morgan (who was used more at the end of the season) from the young players from academy to get us up and competitive.

My point is, we have to be careful and really do need to bring in some quality players without relying on young players like Barker or Vennings, as good as they may have been so far. We will struggle to get anywhere near top six otherwise. We also need to be careful not to say, "X player can cover this position or that position, as well as playing in their own position". It means we are trying to plug gaps with an already thin squad, and what would happen if that X player was then injured, we rely on a young player who isn't ready? It simply isn't fair.

We need another 6 more, I believe at least, and I am struggling to see how anyone could say we don't (not that there have been many anyway).
    I think you’re right, but conjuring up six quality players with the wage cap is going to require miracles from Avery. 
  • Sage said:
    Comparing what we have and need to what we had when we won promotion last time...

In 18/19 season, we had 26 players who made at least 10 appearances.

Of those 26 they included players who were either with us for a short period due to loan, transfer out, and injury: Steer, Page, Ward, Ajose, Grant.

Players who came from the academy: Lapslie, Morgan, Hackett-Fairchild.

Players who didn't feature too much from the start or came in part way through the seasont: Marshall, Fosu, Williams, Purrington, Parker.

When you look at the rest of the squad, we had Forster-Caskey who was injured, Clarke who failed to make any appearances in the league and was let go in January, and then the regular players we used.

We only really relied on Lapslie (who made a total of 32 appearances that season), and Morgan (who was used more at the end of the season) from the young players from academy to get us up and competitive.

My point is, we have to be careful and really do need to bring in some quality players without relying on young players like Barker or Vennings, as good as they may have been so far. We will struggle to get anywhere near top six otherwise. We also need to be careful not to say, "X player can cover this position or that position, as well as playing in their own position". It means we are trying to plug gaps with an already thin squad, and what would happen if that X player was then injured, we rely on a young player who isn't ready? It simply isn't fair.

We need another 6 more, I believe at least, and I am struggling to see how anyone could say we don't (not that there have been many anyway).
    Six is at the lower end of what people are suggesting. I am not expecting six, at least not six as good or better than we have. I think they may become better players, but not come in as better.
    Top six will be a big push for us and we will probably be late entrants come the end of the season if we do - hopefully on form and ready for the playoffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• No hints as to the identity of @Swisdom striker deal that’s been completed ? 
  • Everyone comparing this squad to the one one two years ago is a bit premature.  That squad was great but lacking in certain areas. I am sure this one will be OK, but probably worse in some areas than the one that won at Wembley but definitely better in others. That squad had one decent forward after the sale of Grant, hopefully this one will have more than that.
  • Funny how all the ITK's had players mentioned to them BEFORE the takeover happened. Since then they have all been quite as a mouse pissing on cotton. 
  • Funny how all the ITK's had players mentioned to them BEFORE the takeover happened. Since then they have all been quite as a mouse pissing on cotton. 
    Would also think the targets are changing almost daily. Two weeks is actually a long time in the transfer merry go round. 
  • RedChaser said:
    sam3110 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    Ideally, I think we still need around another 6 or so players if we are to be serious about competing.

It’s a long old season with games coming thick and fast when we return from the international breaks. We can’t rely on young players to get us through, it simply would not be fair.

Amos
    Maynard-Brewer

New Right-Back
    New Right-Back
    New Centre-Back
    Oshilaja
    Pearce
    Famewo
    Purrington
    New Left-Back

Watson
    Pratley
    Levitt
    Forster-Caskey
    Gilbey
    Lapslie
    Morgan
    Williams
    Oztumer
    Maddison
    Doughty

New Striker
    New Striker
    Washington
    Aneke

Some may say that’s too many, but you’ve got a good handful of players in that lot who unfortunately are either likely to get injured at some point, or unable to play games in such quick succession. You then have the suspensions and loss of form, it’s important we don’t leave ourselves short.

This also allows players like Barker and Vennings to naturally develop without the pressure of trying to win promotion from what is a tough league to get out of if you don’t get it right. It allows us to send Davison out on loan, at least until January, get him some better experience and scoring some goals.

Phillips I am sure will be sold before the window shuts. I hope we don’t lose anyone else.

We desperately need a few defenders, another midfielder because the quality is just not there yet, and so desperately need a couple of good strikers who can play, and score regularly.

Lots of work still to do, but I am sure we will get a flurry of them in soon. The sooner the better and they can be settled and worked with throughout this break.

Quality over quantity, I know, but we need both, so the quantity must have the quality too. That’s the tough part. 
    I agree with most of what you say, but think Doughty is a left back and is only playing up front because of the deficiencies in the squad.
    See I think it's pretty much the opposite, didn't he play on the wing in the youth sides mostly and only played left wing back/left back as an emergency?
    Agree with this, his best defensive attribute is his pace. Defensively a natural full back in a flat back four he isn't imo which was very apparrent when he first broke into the first team.

He has improved defensively, no doubt with Jacko's coaching and that's not to say he won't make a good wing back in a five man defence but a solid LB he's not at present.
    These days the divide between full back and winger isn't obvious, as so many full backs these days are in the team due to their attacking ability, rather than their defensive strength, the likes of TAA, Robertson, Chilwell, Kyle Walker bombing forward and providing the attacking width

Similarly, the divide between full back and centre back isn't so sharp either, especially against teams playing only one up front or not having big strikers, so that the more solid full backs are often playing at CB as well. Indeed for the first 20 minutes, Purrington played CB and did ok.
  • RedChaser said:
    sam3110 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:

Amos
    Maynard-Brewer

New Right-Back
    New Right-Back
    New Centre-Back
    Oshilaja
    Pearce
    Famewo
    Purrington
    New Left-Back

Watson
    Pratley
    Levitt
    Forster-Caskey
    Gilbey
    Lapslie
    Morgan
    Williams
    Oztumer
    Maddison
    Doughty

New Striker
    New Striker
    Washington
    Aneke

These days the divide between full back and winger isn't obvious, as so many full backs these days are in the team due to their attacking ability, rather than their defensive strength, the likes of TAA, Robertson, Chilwell, Kyle Walker bombing forward and providing the attacking width

Similarly, the divide between full back and centre back isn't so sharp either, especially against teams playing only one up front or not having big strikers, so that the more solid full backs are often playing at CB as well. Indeed for the first 20 minutes, Purrington played CB and did ok.
    I agree but those types of full/wing backs are usually only successful in teams that apply a high press. We do not, whether that's tactical or just players lacking ability to do it is another question.
  • edited October 2020
    Funny how all the ITK's had players mentioned to them BEFORE the takeover happened. Since then they have all been quite as a mouse pissing on cotton. 
    Would also think the targets are changing almost daily. Two weeks is actually a long time in the transfer merry go round. 
    Also the ITKs were talking about, understandably, the takeover.

There was relatively little naming of players from sources inside the club other than the Danish "Killer" IIRC.

Mostly names came from media sources.

Also some sources EG Mahail and Southall are no longer in the loop

Post takeover there is likely to be a new shopping list anyway, as you said.

Bonne's sale, and potentially Philips, will also have changed plans.

WIOTOS

but I hear @Swisdom has a good source with the new shirt sponsor so I'd listen to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    jondon76 said:
    MattF said:

Why are people still quoting this Nixon bloke dont think he's ever got anything right. 
    Because its a rumour on a rumours thread maybe, and Koiki is a name we've been linked with before
    If it came from anyone else I'd probably believe it.
    It's easier to make a punt/guess over the takeover will it go through or it wont it, than it is to guess a player name!
  • jondon76 said:
    MattF said:
    jondon76 said:
    MattF said:

If it came from anyone else I'd probably believe it.
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/former-burnley-defender-on-trial-with-charlton-athletic/

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-charlton-athletic-set-to-beat-sunderland-to-signing-after-new-burnley-deal-rejected/
  • Doughty very much played as a winger in the youth teams and for Bromley.

Which is where he should play for Charlton on the LEFT side. His good work rate for the academies meant he was excellent at tracking back and then going on runs from deeper.
    Totally baffled when someone suggested he couldn't play in a diamond ?
    The left side of the diamond would be ideal for Alfie where he can help out the team when under the cosh but go down the flank and give some much needed attacking impetus to our impotent attack.

Johan Berg Gudmonsson had limited pace so it made sense to play him on the right as he could rarely go past a full back on the outside but could cut back on his favoured  left foot.
    Doughty has great pace but can only utilize that pace on the left.
  • GK: Amos, AMB
    RW/LW: Washington, Doughty, New signing, Maddison / Oztumer / Williams can cover if needed

5 signings needed at a minimum though. Then we have the ability to play a few different formations as well as being covered if any position gets injured. This also allows Morgan, Davison, Vennings and other young players a loan if Bows feels they need it as they’re not necessarily required. As long as they’re available to be recalled incase of another injury crisis.
    We have to sign a new left back. Purrington is bang average and should only be used as a back-up...
    Dont think Purrington has done much wrong this season, been a pretty steady player for me

Be good to look for someone who is more solid that can make the step up to the Championship though as thats where Ben will struggle
  • edited October 2020
    GK: Amos, AMB

We have to sign a new left back. Purrington is bang average and should only be used as a back-up...
    Dont think Purrington has done much wrong this season, been a pretty steady player for me

Be good to look for someone who is more solid that can make the step up to the Championship though as thats where Ben will struggle
    Agreed, I thought he was poor v Doncaster mate and he did ok with time and space first half yesterday as the spare man but second half his first thought out wide left when receiving the ball was 'who can I pass it back or sideways  to?'

That's probably because he had no options going forward and he struggles to go past an opponent and get a cross in. He used to be good arriving late at the far post and I'll be forever indebted to him for the goal at Wembley but he can't rest on that. He's now playing at his level but needs competition for that LB slot and I don't mean Doughty.
  • Doughty very much played as a winger in the youth teams and for Bromley.

Which is where he should play for Charlton on the LEFT side. His good work rate for the academies meant he was excellent at tracking back and then going on runs from deeper.
    Totally baffled when someone suggested he couldn't play in a diamond ?
    The left side of the diamond would be ideal for Alfie where he can help out the team when under the cosh but go down the flank and give some much needed attacking impetus to our impotent attack.

Johan Berg Gudmonsson had limited pace so it made sense to play him on the right as he could rarely go past a full back on the outside but could cut back on his favoured  left foot.
    Doughty has great pace but can only utilize that pace on the left.
    I questioned whether playing as a central midfielder in a diamond suits Doughty.

The middle two roles are CMs who can drift wide, not wingers.

He’s at his best with space to drive into to make the most of his pace. There will be times that would work for him in the middle, but would that really get the best out of him if it’s a crowded midfield where players are battling, need a good touch and an eye for a pass?