Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

EFL Wage Cap - 2020/21 season

edited October 2020 in General Charlton
I nearly put this in the rumours thread but thought it'd get lost.

I've done some calculations on the new wage cap, as I believe we've got more to play with than some think.

The total allowed for this League One season on wages/agents/signing on fees is £2.5million, which equates to £48,000 per week.

We have 11 senior players (21 or over on January 1st) that signed a contract with us before the new rule came into place;

Amos, Phillips, Oshilaja, Pearce, Purrington, Williams, F Caskey, Pratley, Oztumer, Lapslie, Aneke.

According to this article, these players count as the league average, £1.7k per week.

This equates to £18,700 of our £48,000 budget.

Of the new signings so far, only Levitt is under 21 so assume he does not count towards the figure.

I don't know the wages of the other signings, so I'm going to guess at the below.

Famewo - £2,000 (Norwich could be paying a contribution)
Washington - £2,500
Gilbey - £3,000
Maddison- £4,000
Watson - £3,000

This would equate to £14,500, leaving us with around £15,000 still to play with to stay under the cap, plus another £1,700 if Phillips moves on.

Hopefully Lee and Steve can work some magic with that money!

Comments

• so how much were the agents fees for the above four signings? Even if it were zero then 15pw spread across at least five senior players isn't going to go far.
  • Good idea for a thread.

I think your broadly right on the space we have available to us under the cap, I think Maddison’s salary might be a little lower than your estimate. 

£15K is not a lot really given that we need to bring in probably 5 or six players of decent quality. Just shows how much of an advantage clubs that were able to count more of their experienced/higher earning players at league average have over us. 
  • Did Gilbey and Washington sign before the new rule came in? If so they’ll count as the league average.

Need to sell Phillips and ideally the likes of Oztumer and JFC.
  • Scoham said:
    Did Gilbey and Washington sign before the new rule came in? If so they’ll count as the league average.

Keeping this strictly related to the cap, I don’t think selling Phillips and Oz/JFC (doubt there’s much of a market for either of them anyway) really helps us much, we only free up  £1,700 a week under the cap for each of those, which will likely just about cover the agents fee for the incoming player let alone their salary. 
  • Scoham said:
    Did Gilbey and Washington sign before the new rule came in? If so they’ll count as the league average.

can't see us getting fees for either of the last two and as they are likely getting at least 2k pw with us and may get less elsewhere I can't see them wanting to go.
  • edited October 2020
    Scoham said:

Gilbey and Washington both signed (12th & 13th Aug respectively) after the salary cap was effective (7th August) but I seem to remember reading that they were only party to the league average cap rather than their whole wage as we negotiated it that way with the EFL (or signed them before 7th August, but not announced).  This does have the potential to free up another 2100 per week if this is the case, so pretty fundamental to the calculation you have outlined (which seems very pragmatic and well thought through)

EDIT: Confirmed by Cawley here that the contracts were signed before the salary cap (last tweet in reply) but were blocked due to the embargo.  I think it is therefore safe to assume that Gilbey and Washington apply to the average salary as they were signed before the cap came into force.  

• A good idea for a thread

I've no idea what the new signings are on. Yes Watson would have taken a big salary drop to come here, but at Forest he would have been on good money. I've seen a figure of £15k a week quoted. Would he have come to us for less than £5k?
  • Scoham said:

can't see us getting fees for either of the last two and as they are likely getting at least 2k pw with us and may get less elsewhere I can't see them wanting to go.
    Unfortunately I agree, that’s why I said ideally. January may be more realistic for moving squad players if they want game time.
  • A good idea for a thread

I've no idea what the new signings are on. Yes Watson would have taken a big salary drop to come here, but at Forest he would have been on good money. I've seen a figure of £15k a week quoted. Would he have come to us for less than £5k?
    Yes, if you want to live in Beckingham you really don't have much choice of clubs do you? 
  • Sponsored links:

• One of the failings of the Rugby League salary cap has been an unwillingness to adapt the cap for either a team in London or more recently Toronto. So those clubs can't compete with clubs who can offer good money to live in a northern shithole, compared to a major city. 

Good point by Grapevine, the use of IR is a tool that works in the NFL, being able to release that money for a set period is a good idea, why shouldn't you have space to sign someone if you're star player gets injured on day 1, and you can't release that cap space. 

They'll be 5 or 6 clubs who will overspend and happily take the hit of the fine
  • Excellent thread I had drafted similar for the rumours thread because some of the expectations seem unrealistic.

If I read it correctly this "blunt force" salary cap drives a new dynamic between "senior" contracts (for players 21+) and "senior development" contracts (for first team squad players under 21 as at 01.01.2020).

I suspect the overall terms have been largely borrowed from Rugby but many clauses read like a badly interpreted and amended players contract.

Sadly I do not see any legal challenge attracting much support when the entire industry is demanding government funding.

The cap principle has merit but as implemented damages the very ambition it seeks to achieve - the sustainability of the football pyramid to the benefit of the game in communities across the country.

I would argue the lower leagues have for years done little else but prostitute themselves to the interests of the upper echelons of the industry for financial survival/ gain.

The PL clubs may indeed share a little more of their media revenues to drive a further gulf between "the haves & have nots".

As structured the salary cap drives investment out of the game precisely where it is needed.

There will be investors across 5 or 6 clubs who are prepared to invest to get out of League 1.

Rather than invoke draconian barriers to trade, the overspend tax could be used as a significant source of desperately needed new revenue. The paltry 5% overspend margin and associated penalty will generate peanuts per offending club beyond which clubs will face a disciplinary committee.

Yet if you recognise the ambition across clubs driven to secure Championship status to allow a sliding scale of "overspend" of say £1m with a penalty of £1.5m supported by sliding scale of "premiums" for £250k, £500k, £750k overspends you generate revenue to be distributed across all club's. 

At any given point it is then up to the club's what they spend still within a financial industry framework.

Quite simply if a club sells a player or receives a percentage sell on fee for millions why stop them from reinvesting?

At the moment the regulations read like a bookkeepers charter. There is no doubt they urgently need revisiting in at least 3 key areas.

1. The age limit of under 21 renders the under 23 development system defunct. Who will offer a 20/ 21/ 22yr old player a term contract to simply further develop in U23 football? If you haven't made the first team squad by age 20 you are done. It is a recipe for redundancies.

2. There is no provision for any injured player reserve. We had up to 14 contracted players injured last season. There has to be a mechanism to trigger extra signings and increased budgets in respect of any medium or long term injuries.

The cap even includes player insurance costs, hardly an area for financial abuse, but few clubs are now going to risk taking an injury profile player who may only deliver half a season.

Pearce, Pratley and Williams struggle to play 2 games a week. They and Forster-Caskey may face a difficult future.

3. Breaching anti competitive legislation there is no regional cost of living adjustment. Regional cost of living allowances are standard practice. UK average salaries  - £30k, London average salaries - £40k - 25% differential

So where does all this leave us.

To repeat the excellent analysis above with the assumed departure of Phillips we will have just 10 "senior" (aged 21+) players left from last season. Existing contracts are registered at a default figure (I used a circa £2kpw figure at a cost of circa £1.05m for;

Amos, Oshilaja, Pearce, Purrington, Pratley, Forster- Caskey, Williams, Oztumer, Lapslie, Aneke - All out of contract in June 2021.

We have added post 06.08.2020 the "senior" contracts of;
    - Gilbey, Washington, Watson, Maddison & Famewo which together with say 4* "planned "senior" signings will have to be fitted into a capped expenditure collectively of circa £3kpw - a further £1.6m (Using 5% margin)

*Allowing for 1 further senior contract in the January transfer window.

Until then 19 "senior"players will need to be augmented by the "development" (under 21) contracts of; Maynard-Brewer, Levitt, Morgan, Doughty, Davison and maybe Barker and Vennings providing a squad of;

Amos, Maynard- BrewerNew RB, Purrington, Oshilaja, Famewo, New CBBarker, Pearce, Pratley, Watson, Gilbey, Forster-Caskey, Levitt, Lapslie, VenningsMorgan, Oztumer, Doughty, Williams, Maddison, Aneke, Washington, New MS, New SSDavison

An oven ready Right back, Centre back and two forwards seem fundamental to restoring the spine of the team.

Any further additions who might add value like a further CB or LB will have fall into the category of

i) "one out - one in " though whether, with hundreds of players redundant,  there will be any notable market for meeting the existing terms of "senior" contracted players must be doubtful
    or
    ii) Players under 21 as at 01.01.2020

It will be a significant challenge which I am not sure is registering with some.

Why have you averaged out the wages of the 10 experienced players out at £2kpw? when the league averages them at £1.7kpw?
  • Redrobo said:
    Excellent thread I had drafted similar for the rumours thread because some of the expectations seem unrealistic.

If I read it correctly this "blunt force" salary cap drives a new dynamic between "senior" contracts (for players 21+) and "senior development" contracts (for first team squad players under 21 as at 01.01.2020).

I suspect the overall terms have been largely borrowed from Rugby but many clauses read like a badly interpreted and amended players contract.

Sadly I do not see any legal challenge attracting much support when the entire industry is demanding government funding.

The cap principle has merit but as implemented damages the very ambition it seeks to achieve - the sustainability of the football pyramid to the benefit of the game in communities across the country.

I would argue the lower leagues have for years done little else but prostitute themselves to the interests of the upper echelons of the industry for financial survival/ gain.

The PL clubs may indeed share a little more of their media revenues to drive a further gulf between "the haves & have nots".

As structured the salary cap drives investment out of the game precisely where it is needed.

There will be investors across 5 or 6 clubs who are prepared to invest to get out of League 1.

Rather than invoke draconian barriers to trade, the overspend tax could be used as a significant source of desperately needed new revenue. The paltry 5% overspend margin and associated penalty will generate peanuts per offending club beyond which clubs will face a disciplinary committee.

Yet if you recognise the ambition across clubs driven to secure Championship status to allow a sliding scale of "overspend" of say £1m with a penalty of £1.5m supported by sliding scale of "premiums" for £250k, £500k, £750k overspends you generate revenue to be distributed across all club's. 

At any given point it is then up to the club's what they spend still within a financial industry framework.

Quite simply if a club sells a player or receives a percentage sell on fee for millions why stop them from reinvesting?

At the moment the regulations read like a bookkeepers charter. There is no doubt they urgently need revisiting in at least 3 key areas.

1. The age limit of under 21 renders the under 23 development system defunct. Who will offer a 20/ 21/ 22yr old player a term contract to simply further develop in U23 football? If you haven't made the first team squad by age 20 you are done. It is a recipe for redundancies.

2. There is no provision for any injured player reserve. We had up to 14 contracted players injured last season. There has to be a mechanism to trigger extra signings and increased budgets in respect of any medium or long term injuries.

The cap even includes player insurance costs, hardly an area for financial abuse, but few clubs are now going to risk taking an injury profile player who may only deliver half a season.

Pearce, Pratley and Williams struggle to play 2 games a week. They and Forster-Caskey may face a difficult future.

3. Breaching anti competitive legislation there is no regional cost of living adjustment. Regional cost of living allowances are standard practice. UK average salaries  - £30k, London average salaries - £40k - 25% differential

To repeat the excellent analysis above with the assumed departure of Phillips we will have just 10 "senior" (aged 21+) players left from last season. Existing contracts are registered at a default figure (I used a circa £2kpw figure at a cost of circa £1.05m for;

Amos, Oshilaja, Pearce, Purrington, Pratley, Forster- Caskey, Williams, Oztumer, Lapslie, Aneke - All out of contract in June 2021.

- Gilbey, Washington, Watson, Maddison & Famewo which together with say 4* "planned "senior" signings will have to be fitted into a capped expenditure collectively of circa £3kpw - a further £1.6m (Using 5% margin)

Until then 19 "senior"players will need to be augmented by the "development" (under 21) contracts of; Maynard-Brewer, Levitt, Morgan, Doughty, Davison and maybe Barker and Vennings providing a squad of;

Amos, Maynard- BrewerNew RB, Purrington, Oshilaja, Famewo, New CBBarker, Pearce, Pratley, Watson, Gilbey, Forster-Caskey, Levitt, Lapslie, VenningsMorgan, Oztumer, Doughty, Williams, Maddison, Aneke, Washington, New MS, New SSDavison

An oven ready Right back, Centre back and two forwards seem fundamental to restoring the spine of the team.

Any further additions who might add value like a further CB or LB will have fall into the category of

i) "one out - one in " though whether, with hundreds of players redundant,  there will be any notable market for meeting the existing terms of "senior" contracted players must be doubtful
    or

It will be a significant challenge which I am not sure is registering with some.

Why have you averaged out the wages of the 10 experienced players out at £2kpw? when the league averages them at £1.7kpw?
    I am sure it's since been said the average actually was closer to £2-2.4k pw. 
  • Rothko said:
    One of the failings of the Rugby League salary cap has been an unwillingness to adapt the cap for either a team in London or more recently Toronto. So those clubs can't compete with clubs who can offer good money to live in a northern shithole, compared to a major city. 

Good point by Grapevine, the use of IR is a tool that works in the NFL, being able to release that money for a set period is a good idea, why shouldn't you have space to sign someone if you're star player gets injured on day 1, and you can't release that cap space. 

The fine regime is pretty brutal though
  • When the average of bigger clubs in League 1 was £4.5k and the average of the bigger clubs in League 2 was £2.1k, I don't get how League 1 can now be £1.7k?
  • se9addick said:
    Rothko said:
    One of the failings of the Rugby League salary cap has been an unwillingness to adapt the cap for either a team in London or more recently Toronto. So those clubs can't compete with clubs who can offer good money to live in a northern shithole, compared to a major city. 

Still cheap when you get that Championship central revenue
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Excellent thread I had drafted similar for the rumours thread because some of the expectations seem unrealistic.

or

The CAP states that players under contract will have their wages averaged at £1.7kpw. Has this changed then and have you a link?
  • Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:

or

The CAP states that players under contract will have their wages averaged at £1.7kpw. Has this changed then and have you a link?
    https://www.efl.com/news/2020/august/squad-salary-caps-introduced-in-league-one-and-league-two/

£2.5m / 52 weeks = £48,076.92

Average per player in the 22 senior pros = £2,185.31

I'm being stupid, I was thinking people were saying players now need to be on £1,700 as I didn't read the response properly. 

I am fine with them undervaluing these already contracted pros at £1,700 pw as that benefits us as much as it can.

• I think this is accurate. 

I think we managed to get Gilbey and Washington as pre-cap signings so:

PlayerPos'nCap AmntNotes
    PhillipsGK£1,700.00Already Contracted
    AmosGK£1,700.00Already Contracted
    PurringtonDF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    PearceDF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    FamewoDF (L)£3,000.00ESTIMATED Post Cap Signing
    OshilajaDF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    PratleyMF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    WatsonMF (L)£3,000.00ESTIMATED Post Cap Signing
    LapslieMF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    WilliamsMF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    OztumerMF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    F.CaskeyMF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    GilbeyMF£1,700.00Before Cap Deadline -
    MaddisonMF (L)£3,000.00ESTIMATED Post Cap Signing
    WashingtonFW£1,700.00Before Cap Deadline
    AnekeFW£1,700.00Already Contracted
    UNDERAGE PLAYERS
    Maynard BrewerGK£0.00Underage
    WireduDF£0.00Underage
    VegaDF£0.00Underage
    MingiDF£0.00Underage
    BarkerDF£0.00Underage
    DempseyMF£0.00Underage
    GhandourMF£0.00Underage
    HenryMF£0.00Underage
    NessMF£0.00Underage
    QuitirnaMF£0.00Underage
    LevittMF£0.00Underage
    VenningsMF£0.00Underage
    MorganMF£0.00Underage
    DoughtyMF£0.00Underage
    DavisonFW£0.00Underage
    Total£31,100.00

So my assumption is we have about £17k to play with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    se9addick said:
    Rothko said:

Still cheap when you get that Championship central revenue
    If you get....
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I think this is accurate. 

I think we managed to get Gilbey and Washington as pre-cap signings so:

PlayerPos'nCap AmntNotes
    PhillipsGK£1,700.00Already Contracted
    AmosGK£1,700.00Already Contracted
    PurringtonDF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    PearceDF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    FamewoDF (L)£3,000.00ESTIMATED Post Cap Signing
    OshilajaDF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    PratleyMF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    WatsonMF (L)£3,000.00ESTIMATED Post Cap Signing
    LapslieMF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    WilliamsMF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    OztumerMF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    F.CaskeyMF£1,700.00Already Contracted
    GilbeyMF£1,700.00Before Cap Deadline -
    MaddisonMF (L)£3,000.00ESTIMATED Post Cap Signing
    WashingtonFW£1,700.00Before Cap Deadline
    AnekeFW£1,700.00Already Contracted
    UNDERAGE PLAYERS
    Maynard BrewerGK£0.00Underage
    WireduDF£0.00Underage
    VegaDF£0.00Underage
    MingiDF£0.00Underage
    BarkerDF£0.00Underage
    DempseyMF£0.00Underage
    GhandourMF£0.00Underage
    HenryMF£0.00Underage
    NessMF£0.00Underage
    QuitirnaMF£0.00Underage
    LevittMF£0.00Underage
    VenningsMF£0.00Underage
    MorganMF£0.00Underage
    DoughtyMF£0.00Underage
    DavisonFW£0.00Underage
    Total£31,100.00

So my assumption is we have about £17k to play with.
    Have you allowed for bonuses and agents fees (especially for the post cap signings)? 
  • We just need to sign on loan, 2 free scoring under age players players, that prem clubs will loan us for nothing.
  • edited October 2020
    No, but then neither did @Ben18

If we do have bonuses that might eat up quite a bit of the remaining £884,000/£2,500,000 for the year.

If we assume again that we have bonuses on Maddison and Watson our figure could drop a bit (I assume bonuses to be what £25,000/£35,000 at this level?) So we should still have over £800,000 or about £15,000 remaining?
  • We just need to sign on loan, 2 free scoring under age players players, that prem clubs will loan us for nothing.
    If they're under 21 we can pay them as much as they want!
  • All reports of £1.7k per week appear to be media figures - I cannot see any official figure quoted by the EFL. I referenced Financial Fair Play Regulations and scrolled down Appendix 5 on the website.

It references any number of referral points and calculations but beyond the overall cap of £2.5m  I can see no weekly average figure quoted. Nor for that matter the number for squad lists of 22 players. Indeed I have seen some reference to 23 players.

A pretty mute point when considering market rates you are not likely to be able to pay more than 20 "senior" contracts

Th EFL press release of 07.08.2020 provides no further information.

I just used a mid point for figures quoted in various articles.

I suspect the EFL are getting hammered by all sides from agents, those clubs who voted against the proposals, the PFA etc.,

If you look at the PFA site analysis they have completed a detailed analysis chart absolutely hammered the new regulations.

I have a measure of sympathy - it is knee jerk solution/ response to potentially 16/ 17 clubs disappearing, with National League maybe suspending their season.

It has been done cost containment basis rather than revenue generating approach. I suspect it was to show good housekeeping to the government but it needed to be both.

A betting tariff is a great idea.

• Dazzler21 said:

If we do have bonuses that might eat up quite a bit of the remaining £884,000/£2,500,000 for the year.

If we assume again that we have bonuses on Maddison and Watson our figure could drop a bit (I assume bonuses to be what £25,000/£35,000 at this level?) So we should still have over £800,000 or about £15,000 remaining?
    I thought I had read that conditional bonuses related to things like promotion aren’t counted, but I can’t actually find that anywhere now I look for it). 

I honestly have no idea what a bonus at this level would be, but do we also take into account the bonuses that players whose full salaries don’t count towards the cap? Do we just count the league average.

This cap is going to be very restrictive for us.
  • se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I thought I had read that conditional bonuses related to things like promotion aren’t counted, but I can’t actually find that anywhere now I look for it). 

I honestly have no idea what a bonus at this level would be, but do we also take into account the bonuses that players whose full salaries don’t count towards the cap? Do we just count the league average.

This cap is going to be very restrictive for us.
    And bloody confusing
  • Just read that Ruben Loftus-Cheek is on £150k at Chelsea

I know its not the players fault as if clubs didnt offer that then the player just would have no choice

But proof the Salary Cap needs to come in at the top first, just ridiculous
  • Just read that Ruben Loftus-Cheek is on £150k at Chelsea

I know its not the players fault as if clubs didnt offer that then the player just would have no choice

But proof the Salary Cap needs to come in at the top first, just ridiculous

A salary cap would probably be difficult to impose in the Premier League but the Sky money has totally distorted the game. It's crazy that the annual salary of a Chelsea squad player would cover the aggregate wage cap of three League 1 clubs or, alternatively, five League 2 clubs. In fact, that's an understatement, given Employers' National Insurance and payments to the player's agent.

It's also ridiculous that Chelsea can have 30 or 40 players out on loan at any one time, although they've made tens of millions from this practice for several seasons.

As to the League 1 cap, it is only going to make the gap between clubs in the division and those in the Championship even bigger than it is now. We really are going to need to get back to the Championship sooner than our customary three years or the problems of attracting and retaining players will worsen and it will become more and more difficult to re-establish ourselves in the second tier.