Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL Wage Cap - 2020/21 season

2»

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    No, but then neither did @Ben18

If we do have bonuses that might eat up quite a bit of the remaining £884,000/£2,500,000 for the year.

If we assume again that we have bonuses on Maddison and Watson our figure could drop a bit (I assume bonuses to be what £25,000/£35,000 at this level?) So we should still have over £800,000 or about £15,000 remaining?
    I thought I had read that conditional bonuses related to things like promotion aren’t counted, but I can’t actually find that anywhere now I look for it). 

I honestly have no idea what a bonus at this level would be, but do we also take into account the bonuses that players whose full salaries don’t count towards the cap? Do we just count the league average.

This cap is going to be very restrictive for us.
    I agree, but only up to a point. If you're going to earn a capped amount no matter where you go, why not go to a club with coaching staff who will improve you, who play at a ground far better than the majority in the division, who have the prospect of not going bust and of decent crowds ifwhen things return to something near normal.

On the downside you have to contend with London prices, but how many League 1 clubs are a better prospect than us?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    No, but then neither did @Ben18

If we do have bonuses that might eat up quite a bit of the remaining £884,000/£2,500,000 for the year.

If we assume again that we have bonuses on Maddison and Watson our figure could drop a bit (I assume bonuses to be what £25,000/£35,000 at this level?) So we should still have over £800,000 or about £15,000 remaining?
    I thought I had read that conditional bonuses related to things like promotion aren’t counted, but I can’t actually find that anywhere now I look for it). 

I honestly have no idea what a bonus at this level would be, but do we also take into account the bonuses that players whose full salaries don’t count towards the cap? Do we just count the league average.

This cap is going to be very restrictive for us.
    I agree, but only up to a point. If you're going to earn a capped amount no matter where you go, why not go to a club with coaching staff who will improve you, who play at a ground far better than the majority in the division, who have the prospect of not going bust and of decent crowds ifwhen things return to something near normal.

On the downside you have to contend with London prices, but how many League 1 clubs are a better prospect than us?
    Or you could sign for a Championship side on twice the money we can offer under the cap but with half the chance of playing. 

This cap will massively reduce the quality of players who will come to L1. I don’t want clubs going bust and some of the nonsense we’ve seen, but I think there’s a balance to be struck and it hasn’t been found yet.  
  • Options
    True, but i imagine it's still a buyer's market in L1 to an extent  If you're not quite championship standard or haven't got a club now, you might well be starting to lower your expectations.
    Time will tell.

I think some sort of salary cap makes absolute sense, across all the divisions. But this one has been implemented in the most heavy handed way possible. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    True, but i imagine it's still a buyer's market in L1 to an extent  If you're not quite championship standard or haven't got a club now, you might well be starting to lower your expectations.
    Time will tell.

I think some sort of salary cap makes absolute sense, across all the divisions. But this one has been implemented in the most heavy handed way possible. 
    I assumed that when it got implemented that it would stay but the value of the cap would get argued up over the summer by the bigger clubs. 
  • Options
    Revenue should definitely be taken into account. I would have proposed something like X + Y% of revenue. 

It’s also daft in two divisions. Even if the EFL manage to bring it into the championship, with the Prem that just makes that gap wider. Something had to be done but I don’t see this as a fair or reasonable answer. 
  • Options
    This may be a stupid question, but can't a club just break the rules and then face a financial penalty afterwards? Just like Bournemouth and Wolves did getting to the Prem, or man City and psg have done with FFP?

Also, wasn't FFP based on turnover,  so is that out of the window now?

I'm also pretty sure that the players union could challenge the cap. Surely its not legal, although I know that the majority of clubs voted for it.

I just don't get how it can work, but I guess for now, we have to stick within the rules.
  • Options
    I wonder of TS has asked Freshfields to see if there is a 'legal' way round the cap? 
  • Options
    Just read that Ruben Loftus-Cheek is on £150k at Chelsea

I know its not the players fault as if clubs didnt offer that then the player just would have no choice

But proof the Salary Cap needs to come in at the top first, just ridiculous
    Salary cap in the Premier League = public cancellation of non terrestrial TV channel subscriptions.

It's that simple.