Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hull v Charlton | Saturday 20th June |Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Essential win. What a relief. Think Hull could finish bottom. Don't think Luton will have enough but bit worried about Barnsley who are on good form. Think 3 wins and should be safe. Anything less could still be very nervy. 
  • Options
    My only concern is why Purrington didn't play at LB. I knew when he joined us they said Oshileja could play right across the back line, but surely if you have a proper & fit left back then you play him. Especially as Oshilaja is right footed. Round pegs in square holes. 
    Could say why play Morgan on the wing, but it worked. Might be due to fitness or there could have been a tactical reason.
  • Options
    I like Oshilaja , but I have absolutely no idea what his best position  . Awful at defending , but composed when going forward and can cross a ball . Has got injured in every game I've seen him play .
  • Options
    0i 
    david  sylvain you prick.
    Suck on this result and choke. 

Now please piss off. 
    To be fair, if a Palace or Millwall come on here just to join in a fair discussion as both he and 'Millwall Fan' do then I think that they are to be welcomed.

Why would Palace care if we beat Hull anyway?  
  • Options
    The top two of West Brom and Leeds have home games that will have an impact on the outcome. West Brom host Hull and Leeds host Luton, Barnsley and of course Charlton on the last day. I really hope that we don’t need anything going to Elland Road. It can’t get much worse than that.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    My only concern is why Purrington didn't play at LB. I knew when he joined us they said Oshileja could play right across the back line, but surely if you have a proper & fit left back then you play him. Especially as Oshilaja is right footed. Round pegs in square holes. 
    I'm not sure we'll see Oshilaja there again unless in an emergency. Going forward he was fine but defensively not at all comfortable on that side. 
    After reading Bowyer's comments I take it back about not seeing him there again!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5eee5345ba2dc/bowyer-explains-how-oshilaja-grabbed-his-opportunity-to-start-against-hull-city

It was tactical why Deji played, as their right winger would be cutting inside anyway
    Always a reason behind Bowyer's decisions!!

Although dont remember their winger cutting in too often
    Quite. Oshilaja was being done on the outside so didn't work for me. 
  • Options
    I meant to add to my earlier comment, I thought Hemed did well, and I would definitely keep him for next season.
  • Options
    Thought we deserved the win, good to see Morgan involved always thought he had great potential from when I've seen him play. Hemed also did some good things which bodes well for the rest of the season. 

Said before I think we need 4 wins to guarantee survival, 3 more now... 
  • Options
    Well, I enjoyed that much more than expected. Empty stadium football on the TV is rubbish but strangely today didn't feel anywhere near as odd - maybe because I'm used to following on the stream and the radio-style commentary drowns out the silence.

V good performance all round. Hemed and McGeady have a bit of class about them and look much fitter. So too Morgan. After shaky start from Deji, the defence got their act together across the line, well-supported by Cullen and Pratley. 

Huge credit that most players looked fully fit. Only concerns really on that score were Bonne, who just didn't click into the game, and Aneke. I'm sorry but I don't get him - he's just a big lumbering lump.

It's a great feeling when Charlton put a smile on our faces - been a while coming!

Thank you, Bow, JJ et al.
    I thought Deji was shocking as left back defensively for the first 20-30 minutes and very luck not to get more carded or concede. His forward play was much better and his cross after the Mcgeady drag back was excellent.

Aneke looked much faster than I remember him being. Before the lay off he seemed like a slow lump of muscle, didn’t see that today he looked quick. Have high hopes for him. 
    Agree with you on both points.  Aneke surprised me too with a couple of bursts of speed: got to the byline, advanced on goal, but the cross didn't work.  With his 'gridiron' physique I'm not yet convinced he's agile enough to score regularly in the Championship.  
  • Options
    Massive win, over the moon.

Had to go and start mowing the lawn at 85 mins, forgot just how nerve wracking Charlton holding a 1 goal lead is.

Up the Mighty Reds
    Pah! Man up!

and ignore my well - watered house plants, and the barely needed piss I took on 87 mins that I managed to drag out for nearly two minutes. 

But doesn’t it just feel so good now? How we all needed that. Hats off Bow, I didnt dare believe you could get them up for such a performance.
  • Options
    Maybe Hemed could finally do what was expected of him when he was brought here.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I'm looking forward to seeing Green back, we'll need his pace and directness
  • Options
    Low scores reflect dire nature of Hull City display against Charlton Athletic: Player ratings

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hull-city-charlton-player-ratings-4248185

Meek Hull City quietly slip into relegation zone with defeat to Charlton Atheltic

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/international-football/meek-hull-city-quietly-slip-relegation-zone-defeat-charlton-atheltic-2890516

Amusing that the Yorkshire Post misspells our name both in the headline, and the web address!
    Interesting that they appear to have lost Maddison (back to Peterborough?) and WIlkes won't extend.  So they are only going to get weaker by the sound of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Low scores reflect dire nature of Hull City display against Charlton Athletic: Player ratings

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hull-city-charlton-player-ratings-4248185

Meek Hull City quietly slip into relegation zone with defeat to Charlton Atheltic

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/international-football/meek-hull-city-quietly-slip-relegation-zone-defeat-charlton-atheltic-2890516

Amusing that the Yorkshire Post misspells our name both in the headline, and the web address!
    Interesting that they appear to have lost Maddison (back to Peterborough?) and WIlkes won't extend.  So they are only going to get weaker by the sound of it.
    Nah Maddison is a free transfer now
  • Options
    Very happy with that result but have to be cautious that it wasn't perfect and against tougher sides we will struggle. The obvious thing was lack of finishing as it could easily have been 3-0 on another day and that wouldn't have flattered us too much. Hull were abysmal and I'd be shocked if they turned it around, they looked clueless at times and lacked any sort of urgency.

But not to take away from the boys, some excellent displays defensively (Deji was good but I don't want to see him at LB again). Midfield was pretty much faultless, we'd be screwed had Cullen not stayed so I've got even more love for him.

McGeady was a weird one, started off very brightly and looked pretty dangerous, not sure I saw him in the second half. Hard to tell on a not perfect stream but he did look trimmer as well, think he could be vital to us staying up. 
  • Options
    Interesting that the only home teams to win today were Watford and Blackburn,  
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Just Blackburn, Watford drew. Love those kinds of stats!
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    Just Blackburn, Watford drew. Love those kinds of stats!
    Should have said Brighton
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Talal said:
    I would think it was the fact they thought oshilaja and purrington was not fit enough to last 90 so nerds must. Oshiaja did ok. 
    If that was the case wouldn't you start with your recognised left back then change if necessary? 
    Depends if purrington only had 30 odd minutes in him.